• Please log in to reply
107 replies to this topic

#26 Ps3Tony

Ps3Tony

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPip
  • 297 posts

Posted 30 November 2010 - 04:26 PM

...every 10 minutes or so, the picture skips forward a few seconds & the fast forward menu simultaneously appears on the screen.

Has anyone else had these issues.

Thanks

Only a very quick step every 30 mins or so.

BTW, mine turns on with remote control.

Edited by Ps3Tony, 30 November 2010 - 04:29 PM.

#27 Ps3Tony

Ps3Tony

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPip
  • 297 posts

Posted 30 November 2010 - 04:31 PM

I wonder how we get updates.

Through USB stick.

#28 Ps3Tony

Ps3Tony

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPip
  • 297 posts

Posted 30 November 2010 - 04:43 PM

....I dont have any colour problems or problems switching on from standby. Sounds like you may have a dud.

Nah, it's all good. I just had to change the colour on the TV, problem solved :)

#29 q6supvr

q6supvr

AV Forum Member

• PipPip
  • 238 posts

Posted 30 November 2010 - 05:30 PM

Through USB stick.

Hi,
I meant where do we go to get the update loaded onto the USB stick. So far I haven't found any Bauhn support site.

#30 q6supvr

q6supvr

AV Forum Member

• PipPip
  • 238 posts

Posted 02 December 2010 - 12:51 PM

I hooked up one of three that I bought.It has the poor internal connection problems that effect the aerial loop,etc,etc that dogs many similar PVRs,especially the Yess 4688U-likely from the same factory.Poor/no quality control.

I expect this problem to be fixed fairly easily under warranty.I do not expect to put up with the shameful scam that Crazy Stu pulls to avoid refunds.

I'll hook up the other two when I have the time.

Haven't bothered testing it beyond that.If they cannot fix a simple problem like that,they go back.Still have 7 weeks for a no fuss return.350 days under Consumer Law for a little fuss return-depends on store manager,most know

and it is actually no fuss.

Hi,
I'm waiting to hear how you get on with the other two. Any progress?

#31 DM Dave

DM Dave

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPip
  • 278 posts

Posted 02 December 2010 - 02:20 PM

Not yet.

Despite the PVR glitch (expected from Aldi),I have been sufficiently impressed with the two 47" TVs that I bought a Bauhn Blue Ray player for $99 on Monday.

Have 2 PVRs,one HD camcorder and a BlueRay player still in their boxes.Fair chance that lot will go back.Dunno!

Way behind on work on a $130 million movie of mine.Sidetracked with this Forum today.

On the brighter side-movie may be in 4D by the time I get back to it!It is set in 1888.Mr. Peabody............???????

Seriously,will post-expect similar to first unit.If they are fixable,I'll inquire about voltages and upgrading to 1TB Hitachi in two years time.Doubt the units will handle larger HDDs than that.

#32 Ps3Tony

Ps3Tony

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPip
  • 297 posts

Posted 04 December 2010 - 07:33 AM

Hi,
I meant where do we go to get the update loaded onto the USB stick. So far I haven't found any Bauhn support site.

Who said there is an update needed?

#33 q6supvr

q6supvr

AV Forum Member

• PipPip
  • 238 posts

Posted 04 December 2010 - 02:07 PM

Who said there is an update needed?

Hi,
So far as I know no one has said so. My question was simply aimed at finding if anyone else had been more successful than I in finding a BAUHN support site. As a matter of interest it appears, from previous posts, that there are at least 2 firmware versions out there-1.2 and 1.4- anyone got the issue date for 1.2?

Edited by q6supvr, 04 December 2010 - 02:09 PM.

#34 chanakya

chanakya

AV Forum Member

• 2 posts

Posted 04 December 2010 - 08:32 PM

Truman,

I have the same issue. It keep re scanning the channels and as you have mentioned I need to power off unplug the HDMI cable re plug to get this running. Thinking of returning it back.

#35 Ps3Tony

Ps3Tony

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPip
  • 297 posts

Posted 05 December 2010 - 07:07 AM

Truman,

I have the same issue. It keep re scanning the channels and as you have mentioned I need to power off unplug the HDMI cable re plug to get this running. Thinking of returning it back.

Did you save it after the scan?

#36 q6supvr

q6supvr

AV Forum Member

• PipPip
  • 238 posts

Posted 05 December 2010 - 09:36 AM

Truman,

Hi,
This morning, while my wife was trying to watch "Anne of Green Gables", the unit failed, apparently locked up. I had to unplug it to power off. On restarting any attempt to bring up the recorded list resulted in a "The HDD has not been recognised" [Not the exact wording, but conveys the sense] message. Powered off again, making sure the pilot light had finally gone off-same result. Tomorrow I'll take it back and get my money back, will buy a second YESS to replace it.

#37 DM Dave

DM Dave

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPip
  • 278 posts

Posted 07 December 2010 - 02:00 PM

Only started using mine yesterday.

Version 1.4.

500 GB.

Does not turn off after dual recording.

Playback progress bar sometimes appears for no known reason.

Lack of aerial through when turned off a big "turn off",as I bought three.

#38 DM Dave

DM Dave

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPip
  • 278 posts

Posted 15 December 2010 - 08:17 PM

Purely using one of mine as a single tuner for HD channels.So far OK.

Had local transmission problems,which accounted for progress bar appearing.

JB HiFi has a Soniq I TB @ $299.

#39 merridy

merridy

AV Forum Member

• 23 posts

Posted 23 January 2011 - 06:45 PM

I was lucky enough to get one on the Wednesday before the sale officially started - they had one on display in the glass cabinet for $199 & I asked if I could buy one & they said yes. I suppose once they display/offer an item they're legally obliged to sell it to the customer.

Mine has no color or contrast issues at all & is connected via HDMI. Overall, I found the picture quality to be fantastic. I even connected the tuner (via av to scart) to an early generation Panasonic 80gb hdd/dvd recorder (which only has an analogue tuner) & the quality is great despite the Panasonic being SD (576i) which downscales the resolution.

My only (minor) issues are that -

1. The unit will not turn back on from standby with the remote control - the remote works for every function including switching off, but it won't turn the unit on. I need
to unplug & re-plug the socket for it to fire up.
2. On a recorded program, every 10 minutes or so, the picture skips forward a few seconds & the fast forward menu simultaneously appears on the screen.

Has anyone else had these issues.

Thanks

Jumping and freezing!

Yes, Truman. I have had them for the past few months!!!!

I think our Aldi Bauhn 500Gb HD box has to go back. When watching a recorded video it occasionally does 3 things.

1. The picture freezes and the buttons on the remote do not work. I have to pull out the plug to reset the box and start watching from the beginning again.

2. Ditto when fast forwarding through the adverts.

3. It 'jumps forward'. The x1 info bar appears at the bottom of the screen and I have to rewind to view the few minutes I have missed.

Very annoying. (My software is version 1.2.)

Any clues?

#40 diesel

diesel

AV Forum Member

• 13,787 posts

Posted 23 January 2011 - 08:57 PM

Maybe see if you can update the FW to a newer version - maybe 1.4 as mentioned above.

But to some extent it just shows that cheap PVRs can not always be a joy to use.

#41 DM Dave

DM Dave

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPip
  • 278 posts

Posted 24 January 2011 - 08:17 AM

Half way through filling up the HDD on my second PVR.Had to re power each once so far.

Remote control a bit "buggy" - could be more responsive.

Both functioning OK as dual channel PVRs.Couple of glitches with timer regarding movies that start before,and finish after,midnight.

Third PVR still in box.

Would neither recommend or vice versa.OK for $199 with 2 year warranty.

Damned sight better than Crazy Stu's junk.

#42 bayplayer

bayplayer

AV Forum Member

• 5 posts

Posted 26 January 2011 - 04:04 PM

Jumping and freezing!

Yes, Truman. I have had them for the past few months!!!!

I think our Aldi Bauhn 500Gb HD box has to go back. When watching a recorded video it occasionally does 3 things.

1. The picture freezes and the buttons on the remote do not work. I have to pull out the plug to reset the box and start watching from the beginning again.

2. Ditto when fast forwarding through the adverts.

3. It 'jumps forward'. The x1 info bar appears at the bottom of the screen and I have to rewind to view the few minutes I have missed.

Very annoying. (My software is version 1.2.)

Any clues?

now I am confused , brought mine yesterday , 25 th Jan , S/W Version 1.3 with update date of Dec 2 2010 ????

#43 BRUCEfromAUSTRALIA

BRUCEfromAUSTRALIA

AV Forum Member

• 55 posts

Posted 14 June 2011 - 05:47 PM

Picked up one at Aldi in Brissie last week.
(Am using simple SD DS6200PVr for 4 years & wanted cheap extra HD PVR)

BUT it has a lot of minor design faults or omissions: (long list after 1 week)
REMOTE:
  • sluggish to respond – too easy to hold buttons too long or press twice to compensate (eg stopping 2 recordings instead of 1!).
Recording Programs:
  • too easy to stop 2 recordings instead of 1 when press STOP (hold too long & both recordings stop!).
EPG:
  • Recorded program set via EPG is set short: (EPG shows 20:30-21:00, followed by 21:00-20:30) is scheduled for 1-2 minute less than EPG time (20:30-20:58, followed by 21:00-20:27!). PLUS Recording is another 19 seconds short. So recording is 1-2 minutes + 19seconds seconds short! This means changing times manually, even though you would expect PVR would have set recording times the same as EPG. Will not accept 20:30-21:00, followed by 21:00-20:30.
  • Cant change EPG recording setting to WEEKLY/DAILY – need to delete and set as TIMER recording.
  • Can't change program that is EPG finishing 23:50 to after midnight (eg 00:10) – "Inputed time is error!".
  • Too easy to press GREEN button and DELETE ALL on TIMER LIST!!! (no warning).
  • EPG (8Day) becomes simple Now/Next if signal strength drops, so cant use EPG to set up recordings.
  • EPG CHANNEL view – can only view by CHANNEL, not by what is on at a TIME – making it hard to know if another program is set to record, or choose program.
TIMER RECORDING:
  • when setting TIMER RECORDING for WEEKLY/DAILY recording, won't accept current day or next day – often chooses date a week or 2 ahead!!!!
    eg set DAILY recordings on 4/6 but it decided these would start on 13/6! But later it changed that date again!!
  • When 1 TIMER RECORDING is changed, many other WEEKLY/DAILY TIMER RECORDING dates are changed by 1 or 2 weeks!!!
  • When changing time of set recording, will not change 19:59 to 20:00 by keying "2000" as it thinks I want 29:00 – "Invalid Date". Need to skip tens of hours then enter next digits and come back to the first digit!
  • I have yet to record on TIMER RECORDING for WEEKLY/DAILY as dates keep changing.
Playing Recording:
  • Slow to rewind on any speed.
  • Often many seconds for audio to resume after stop RECORDing or PLAYing recording.
  • Cant Change ASPECT while playing recording – need to stop & press ASPECT in live TV, then resume playing. (hope you remembered to BOOKMARK where you stopped viewing!)
BOOKMARKS:
  • many recordings come with random BOOKMARKS already on recording. Frustrating if you want to use BOOKMARKS!
  • No resume feature – so can return later to spot you stopped watching recorded program (need to remember to set BOOKMARK before stop playing).
REWINDING live TV: (remember to turn on TIMESHIFT in MENU)
  • to rewind a few seconds: press PAUSE, then PAUSE again, then FF to catch up to the spot you want to view. AGH!

Edited by Green1, 14 June 2011 - 05:50 PM.

#44 paulspencer

paulspencer

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPip
  • 294 posts

Posted 15 June 2011 - 03:47 PM

I have one thing to say about anything that has the potential to fail at Aldi ... DON'T DO IT!

Everything I've purchased there that had some potential to fail, went kaput. Aldi coffee machine failed after a few months. Freezer failed just outside of warranty. Just stopped working. Mini greenhouse (what can go wrong?!) ... ripped to pieces after the first windy day! I got a refund on two of those items, but I just don't bother any more.

#45 BRUCEfromAUSTRALIA

BRUCEfromAUSTRALIA

AV Forum Member

• 55 posts

Posted 19 June 2011 - 04:43 PM

Absolutely agree, paulspencer.
I have had too many faults. Most Aldi products are a waste of time.
:angry2: This is an unbelievably crappy PVR! :angry2:

I have used about 20 PVR's and this is the worst by far!
The only good thing is the easy returns policy at Aldi - but that does not make up for the shoddy design and frustration.

Other forums have shown ALDI previously provided a PVR without the ability to schedule any future recordings!
(A Firmware update was made available - at a cost.)
This PVR has a TIMER to schedule future recordings (ONCE/DAILY/WEEKLY) - but it will not record DAILY or WEEKLY recordings - just record ONCE (via TIMER or EPG).
Each week you need to re-enter your regular programs.

Additional issues found in last few days...
TIMER RECORDING: (necessary as can't change EPG setting to DAILY/WEEKLY - EPG recording must be re-entered EVERY week.)
  • setting TIMER RECORDING for WEEKLY recording (and saving), then switching to standby and on again,
    it changes TIMER recording dates (ones set to record within the next 4 days) to a week ahead!!!! (eg on 9/6, set WEEKLY record for 10/6, PVR changed it to 17/6)
    (9 out of 14 settings changed!) Expect all other TIMER settings (more than 4 days in advance) will change in next few days.
    So PVR WILL NOT RECORD (DAILY/WEEKLY) via TIMER as set dates are always reset to a future date!!!
    (Works OK if set to record ONCE via TIMER or EPG, but pad the recording times as PVR recordings are short.)
  • When changing date of set recording (to correct for 1 week added by PVR), it often erases the setting after stating it is saving the change!
  • I have yet to record on TIMER RECORDING for WEEKLY/DAILY as dates keep changing.
KEEPS FREEZING
  • While taking time to correct its changes, it froze on Timer List screen 3 times. Had to unplug unit to get working. Would have lost recording(s) if was recording at time.