107 replies to this topic

#1 Striker

Striker

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPip
  • 269 posts

Posted 13 November 2010 - 06:33 AM

http://www.aldi.com..../2827_16084.htm

Noticed this for next weeks specials looks pretty good for the price what do other think? I want to get one but want to see if anyone else has seen or tried this kind of box before?

Thanks

Edited by Striker, 13 November 2010 - 06:33 AM.

#2 mally60

mally60

AV Forum Member

• 21 posts

Posted 13 November 2010 - 09:27 AM

Noticed this for next weeks specials looks pretty good for the price what do other think? I want to get one but want to see if anyone else has seen or tried this kind of box before?

Thanks

Bought the previous version from Aldi over a year ago. Has worked well. No problems Yet. In fact can'y work out why people pay three times as much for other brands?

#3 q6supvr

q6supvr

AV Forum Member

• PipPip
  • 238 posts

Posted 13 November 2010 - 11:01 AM

Thanks

Hi,
There have been some comments in "Another Bauhn PVR" below.

Edited by q6supvr, 13 November 2010 - 11:02 AM.

#4 stocky_j

stocky_j

AV Forum Member

• 19 posts

Posted 13 November 2010 - 08:00 PM

I bought one last year but took it back.
Said it was a twin tuner but only recorded one channel at a time.

#5 Paul55

Paul55

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPipPip
  • 884 posts

Posted 13 November 2010 - 08:03 PM

Maybe one of the reasons people pay more for other brands :P :P :D :D

Edited by Paul55, 13 November 2010 - 08:04 PM.

#6 q6supvr

q6supvr

AV Forum Member

• PipPip
  • 238 posts

Posted 13 November 2010 - 08:42 PM

Hi,
The wish book clearly states "Records two channels at once." As I said elsewhere, I'll suck-it-and-see, take advantage of ALDI's 60 day cash back etc.

#7 mally60

mally60

AV Forum Member

• 21 posts

Posted 13 November 2010 - 10:31 PM

I guess you misunderstood that twin tuners allows you to watch a different channel to the one you are recording , not necessarially being able to record the two at once? The model advertised this time states that it Will record both tuners.

#8 Striker

Striker

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPip
  • 269 posts

Posted 14 November 2010 - 05:26 AM

I'm going to give it a go, give it a good try out and if it doesn't work the way I expect or want it to work I'll just take it back within the 60 days :)

#9 Ps3Tony

Ps3Tony

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPip
  • 297 posts

Posted 18 November 2010 - 01:41 PM

I'm going to give it a go, give it a good try out and if it doesn't work the way I expect or want it to work I'll just take it back within the 60 days :)

I just bought one. It can record 2 channels at same time and you can watch a recording at the same time. Cool eh?

2 year warranty is good and 60 day money back refund.

I hope it works ok. Can't complain for $199, reduced from $299.

#10 Striker

Striker

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPip
  • 269 posts

Posted 18 November 2010 - 01:54 PM

Does it do Timer recordings etc?

I haven't had time today to go to Aldi might pop in soon though

#11 q6supvr

q6supvr

AV Forum Member

• PipPip
  • 238 posts

Posted 18 November 2010 - 02:33 PM

Does it do Timer recordings etc?

I haven't had time today to go to Aldi might pop in soon though

Hi,
Well, if your ALDi is anything like the one here, you'll be too late. There was a real bunfight outside ours-I got there [having had a tip off] at 0820, second person turned up about 5 minutes later. By 0900 when they opened there were 100+ milling around. I was first cab off the rank and got the first of the 8 total they had available-lots of disappointed faces, I can tell you. As soon as I get a moment I'll hook it up and give it a whirl.

#12 Striker

Striker

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPip
  • 269 posts

Posted 18 November 2010 - 02:36 PM

just got back from there all gonee none left.... :(

#13 DM Dave

DM Dave

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPip
  • 278 posts

Posted 18 November 2010 - 02:51 PM

Yep,EPG and manual.

Haven't had time to set it up yet.Their 47" HD TV is fine and includes USB PVR function with an external HDD (not included,of course).

#14 DM Dave

DM Dave

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPip
  • 278 posts

Posted 18 November 2010 - 02:54 PM

If the Colac store was any indication this morning,there is possibly still stock at some stores.

#15 Ps3Tony

Ps3Tony

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPip
  • 297 posts

Posted 18 November 2010 - 03:16 PM

It even has a USB port :)

Sorry to everyone who missed out. Today only at $199, reduced from $299.

I was lucky, second in line. Many people missed out as the line up went far back.

Edited by Ps3Tony, 18 November 2010 - 03:18 PM.

#16 chanakya

chanakya

AV Forum Member

• 2 posts

Posted 21 November 2010 - 04:45 PM

The Aldi PVR does have a USB port but it only allows you to play jpeg and mp3. I dont thibk it will let you copy the recording to the usb drive. Cans some one please confrm this?

ta

#17 q6supvr

q6supvr

AV Forum Member

• PipPip
  • 238 posts

Posted 22 November 2010 - 09:50 AM

The Aldi PVR does have a USB port but it only allows you to play jpeg and mp3. I dont thibk it will let you copy the recording to the usb drive. Cans some one please confrm this?

ta

Hi,
My understanding is that the USb port allows you to play MP3 files thropugh the PVR, and also allows firmware updates to be loaded, but that you cannot record Tv programs through it.
I'm quite impressed by the unit, as is my wife-the interface displays are celar and unambiguous. My wife is happily using it.

#18 Ps3Tony

Ps3Tony

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPip
  • 297 posts

Posted 22 November 2010 - 02:57 PM

I got one of these but I have a problem and concern.

The contrast is very strong, so noticeable that faces seem a lot more red.

Does anyone else experience this and is there a solution or fix?

#19 q6supvr

q6supvr

AV Forum Member

• PipPip
  • 238 posts

Posted 22 November 2010 - 09:05 PM

I got one of these but I have a problem and concern.

The contrast is very strong, so noticeable that faces seem a lot more red.

Does anyone else experience this and is there a solution or fix?

Hi,
Ours is fine, colour from PVR on the Tv looks good . Only possible adjustment I can see is the Colour format--Menu, System Settings, Video Settings, down to colour format, that should be Auto. No other suggestion, I'm afraid.
Later:- Thought about this over breakfast this morning, are you seeing a difference in colour rendition when displaying the PVR output and when watching TV? I think I'd be checking the colour settings on the TV set itself.

Edited by q6supvr, 23 November 2010 - 08:46 AM.

#20 Truman

Truman

AV Forum Member

• 22 posts

Posted 25 November 2010 - 10:55 AM

I was lucky enough to get one on the Wednesday before the sale officially started - they had one on display in the glass cabinet for $199 & I asked if I could buy one & they said yes. I suppose once they display/offer an item they're legally obliged to sell it to the customer.

Mine has no color or contrast issues at all & is connected via HDMI. Overall, I found the picture quality to be fantastic. I even connected the tuner (via av to scart) to an early generation Panasonic 80gb hdd/dvd recorder (which only has an analogue tuner) & the quality is great despite the Panasonic being SD (576i) which downscales the resolution.

My only (minor) issues are that -

1. The unit will not turn back on from standby with the remote control - the remote works for every function including switching off, but it won't turn the unit on. I need
to unplug & re-plug the socket for it to fire up.
2. On a recorded program, every 10 minutes or so, the picture skips forward a few seconds & the fast forward menu simultaneously appears on the screen.

Has anyone else had these issues.

Thanks

#21 merridy

merridy

AV Forum Member

• 23 posts

Posted 25 November 2010 - 04:00 PM

Great unit ! Works well. Easy to record 2 channels at once and view a third sub-channel at the same time. No clock displayed on the front panel, though.

Have you checked the hard disk size?

Go to Menu/PVR settings/HDD manager.

I was expecting about 500Gb. Mine showed 98Gb !! I guess I've only got a 100Gb HDD. It's gone back to have a 500Gb drive installed.

I have the following versions: H/W V4, S/W V1.4, Boot V2.2. Updated Oct 16 2010 = 2 days before I bought it !!!!

What HDD Gb have you got? What version is your unit?

#22 merridy

merridy

AV Forum Member

• 23 posts

Posted 26 November 2010 - 05:37 PM

Got my replacement unit. Working perfectly!

The HDD now has 477Gb available. Closer to 500Gb than 98Gb of previous unit.

S/W version is now 1.2. What version do you have?

#23 q6supvr

q6supvr

AV Forum Member

• PipPip
  • 238 posts

Posted 27 November 2010 - 10:06 AM

Got my replacement unit. Working perfectly!

The HDD now has 477Gb available. Closer to 500Gb than 98Gb of previous unit.

S/W version is now 1.2. What version do you have?

Hi,
Just checked ours-the System Info is:-
Hardware Version 4
Software Version 1.4
Boot info 2.2
Update Date Oct 16, 2010, 15:06:46
I wonder how we get updates.
HDD shows 477 Gb usable.

Edited by q6supvr, 27 November 2010 - 12:43 PM.

#24 Allan C

Allan C

AV Forum Member

• 21 posts

Posted 27 November 2010 - 03:41 PM

I was lucky enough to get one on the Wednesday before the sale officially started - they had one on display in the glass cabinet for $199 & I asked if I could buy one & they said yes. I suppose once they display/offer an item they're legally obliged to sell it to the customer.

Mine has no color or contrast issues at all & is connected via HDMI. Overall, I found the picture quality to be fantastic. I even connected the tuner (via av to scart) to an early generation Panasonic 80gb hdd/dvd recorder (which only has an analogue tuner) & the quality is great despite the Panasonic being SD (576i) which downscales the resolution.

My only (minor) issues are that -

1. The unit will not turn back on from standby with the remote control - the remote works for every function including switching off, but it won't turn the unit on. I need
to unplug & re-plug the socket for it to fire up.
2. On a recorded program, every 10 minutes or so, the picture skips forward a few seconds & the fast forward menu simultaneously appears on the screen.

Has anyone else had these issues.

Thanks

Managed to get the last one at the Paramatta store. Installed & connected via HDMI works well in all aspects.
Have recorded about 15 programs using the EPG & Manual timer settings with no problem other than the shows running overtime & missing the last few minutes. I am now editing the timer files & adding an extra 5 minutes to the end time.
I dont have any colour problems or problems switching on from standby. Sounds like you may have a dud.

With the Picture skipping forward & fast fwd bar appearing, I have seen this on my unit, but I only noticed it do that on a 2 hour movie. It happened twice I think but I put it down to a multiple segment recording. My old PVR use to do the same thing ie long recordings would be recorded into multiple shorter segments.
With your problem of switching on using the remote I have found that a short press on the remote red power button brings the unit out of standby but longer presses seem to switch the unit on then back off before the display illuminates.

At least it has a decent warranty

Oh for info
My software Version is 1.4 Update date Oct 16 2010
Rgds Alan

Edited by Allan C, 27 November 2010 - 03:49 PM.

#25 DM Dave

DM Dave

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPip
  • 278 posts

Posted 29 November 2010 - 07:09 AM

I hooked up one of three that I bought.It has the poor internal connection problems that effect the aerial loop,etc,etc that dogs many similar PVRs,especially the Yess 4688U-likely from the same factory.Poor/no quality control.

I expect this problem to be fixed fairly easily under warranty.I do not expect to put up with the shameful scam that Crazy Stu pulls to avoid refunds.

I'll hook up the other two when I have the time.

Haven't bothered testing it beyond that.If they cannot fix a simple problem like that,they go back.Still have 7 weeks for a no fuss return.350 days under Consumer Law for a little fuss return-depends on store manager,most know

and it is actually no fuss.