Photo

Will An American Lcd Tv Work In Australia?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 RodA2010

RodA2010

AV Forum Member

• 6 posts

Posted 09 November 2010 - 12:44 PM

I have a Samsung 850 LCD TV, Model LN46A850s1F ZXA, bought in California this year. We plan to move to Sydney soon. The huge manual we have is useless for specifications - all it gives are the physical dimensions. The label on the back says 110-120V, 60Hz. The Sumsung site doesn't seem to work anyway. This Hong Kong site has these specs, specs are similar to this LN52 model. It has a built in HD Digital TV tuner for American ATSC signals.

I found this reply here:

I can answer your question out of first hand experience. The simple answer is NO your TV will not work.
My husband had our american TV shipped over to Australia, thinking that it should work if we subscribe to Foxtel or anything with a digital signal. As a previous poster has written, this is certainly NOT the case.
We are unable to get Foxtel, free to air TV, satellite tv, our Australian PSP doesn't work, Nintento etc bought in Australia doesn't work ... the long and short of it is that we have a 50 inch glorified DVD (American ONLY) player. It's utterly useless.

Another idea to view broadcast TV is to get an external antenna to HDMI box (such as this) in Australia and then plug it into our TV. Would this work? I assume that the HDMI standard is universal. If we used a transformer to get 120V/50hz, I wonder if the TV would work on that lower frequency? Not sure if electronic converters would have a smooth enough waveform, or enough power (300W). I assume that the refresh rate is generated internally, not from the mains supply.

#2 pgdownload

pgdownload

AV Forum Member

• 11,581 posts

Posted 09 November 2010 - 01:52 PM

1) Your current TV internal digital tuner will not work in Australia.

2) To receive FTA broadcasts you can buy a simple HD STB over here (less than $100) and connect that to your TV using HDMI

3) HDMI doesn't concern itself with PAL or NTSC

4) Some STBs can output in either PAL or NTSC mode so if you wanted to use say a component cable then that would use one of these I believe.

5) Generally FTA broadcasts need an outdoor aerial. Just about every house has one in Oz. If you're moving to a city/suburb you should be right.

6) You can pick up USA to OZ power plug converters at the airport ($10). However these only change the plug shape, not the voltage levels.

7) You can by voltage level adapters for a bit more but I don't have any experience with these.

I'd suggest ringing Samsung to find out if your TV is dual powered (I can't find that out either however its looking like probably no to me):

1-800-SAMSUNG (7267864)
Samsung Electronics America, Inc.
105 Challenger Road Ridgefield Park, NJ 07660-0511
Samsung Electronics Canada Inc., Customer Service
55 Standish Court Mississauga, Ontario L5R 4B2
Call center hours of operation (Mon-Sun 9AM-12AM EST).

Regards

Peter Gillespie

#3 Dreamcazman

Dreamcazman

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPipPip
  • 992 posts

Posted 09 November 2010 - 03:43 PM

You will need a stepdown transformer to go from 240V - 120V, the frequency shouldn't matter.

If your TV only draws around 300W like you say, I suggest one of these from Jaycar. I use a 120W version for my imported consoles and it hasn't missed a beat.

So the main things of concern are power and a STB (or HD PVR to record shows) for TV viewing. If you are only planning on using the TV as a monitor, you won't need a STB.

Having said all that, it might be more economical to sell your TV before you leave and buy one here, then you won't have to buy transformers, STB's or more importantly freight costs.

Edited by Dreamcazman, 09 November 2010 - 03:52 PM.

#4 Pfeff

Pfeff

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPip
  • 505 posts

Posted 09 November 2010 - 05:23 PM

Given shipping costs, voltage, tuner and having absolutely no resale value here, I cannot believe it's worth considering when you could buy a new 50" TV here for under $1K. Put it on eBay or give it away and get a new set here.

#5 mtv

mtv

AV Forum Member

• 6,047 posts

Posted 09 November 2010 - 05:37 PM

As mentioned, you'd need a stepdown power supply and a separate set top box that outputs to match the TV inputs.

Even then, it's a huge gamble that it will still work ok after all that expense and risk of damage in transit.

I'd strongly advise to sell it and buy one once you are in Australia.

#6 pgdownload

pgdownload

AV Forum Member

• 11,581 posts

Posted 09 November 2010 - 08:28 PM

I'd strongly advise to sell it and buy one once you are in Australia.

Resale value is probably less than $400. $800 would buy the transformer, plug and a Twin tuner HD PVR (recommend you get one of these). Not sure on the shipping costs, although I'd suspect work might be paying for those? This against $800+ spent getting just a local TV. Definitely a decision to be made though.

Regards

Peter Gillespie

#7 davep

davep

AV Forum Member

• 3,506 posts

Posted 09 November 2010 - 09:11 PM

will the TV take 1080i/50hz? My mates US plasma doesnt, and FTA TV output from his HTPC at 1080i/60hz just doesnt look right...

#8 digitalj

digitalj

AV Forum Member

• 12,938 posts

Posted 09 November 2010 - 09:38 PM

It won't take any 50Hz signals, so to display anything in Australia (other than Blu-ray's), a frame rate conversion box or PC will be needed to change the 50Hz signal to 59.94Hz or 60Hz.

#9 pgdownload

pgdownload

AV Forum Member

• 11,581 posts

Posted 10 November 2010 - 10:31 AM

It won't take any 50Hz signals, so to display anything in Australia (other than Blu-ray's), a frame rate conversion box or PC will be needed to change the 50Hz signal to 59.94Hz or 60Hz.

Or you could just get a STB or PVR here that does NTSC output?

Like this LG for example

Regards

Peter Gillespie