97 replies to this topic

#76 Gutty

Gutty

AV Forum Member

• 4,083 posts

Posted 13 October 2010 - 08:22 PM

this guy usually gets mint copies of The Wall from time to time
http://www.audiophil.....xt=Pink Floyd

There's a Jap pressing on Oz ebay at the moment... but $100 is a bit rich for me. :blush:

#77 Vieira4

Vieira4

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,645 posts

Posted 15 October 2010 - 11:22 AM

How would you TT experts rate this buy for my 'jump' in to the TT world?
JammAudio?????

Jutta did you make any leaps yet?

#78 Jutta

Jutta

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,103 posts

Posted 15 October 2010 - 11:41 PM

Jutta did you make any leaps yet?

No I havn't just yet.
I've got a few things in my sights, just need to decide which road to take first.
TT - new Processor - or SVS sub Eq if not the Pro - ERD-1's for all surround duties.

And not to mention I'm gonna need a PJ and screen (and lens) for the HT room in 12 mth time.......

I'm thinking I might see if I can get the local store (the only store in Hobart) to do a home demo for me.
I have a LTD Ed Box set of MUSE's The Resistance.
So I have a copy of the album on CD - Double weight Vinyl and the awesome 5.1 DTS mix on DVD - Audio only.
Think this would really show me if I'm going to like the vinyl direction.

As good as I THOUGHT the CD was mastered it pales into insignificance against the sheer dynamics of the 5.1 DTS mix on DVD.
So I'm really keen to hear the Vinyl (in my system)

#79 Vieira4

Vieira4

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,645 posts

Posted 16 October 2010 - 07:30 AM

No I havn't just yet.
I've got a few things in my sights, just need to decide which road to take first.
TT - new Processor - or SVS sub Eq if not the Pro - ERD-1's for all surround duties.

And not to mention I'm gonna need a PJ and screen (and lens) for the HT room in 12 mth time.......

I'm thinking I might see if I can get the local store (the only store in Hobart) to do a home demo for me.
I have a LTD Ed Box set of MUSE's The Resistance.
So I have a copy of the album on CD - Double weight Vinyl and the awesome 5.1 DTS mix on DVD - Audio only.
Think this would really show me if I'm going to like the vinyl direction.

As good as I THOUGHT the CD was mastered it pales into insignificance against the sheer dynamics of the 5.1 DTS mix on DVD.
So I'm really keen to hear the Vinyl (in my system)

If vinyl is done right it will give you a hi-res sound that has something that digital sources seem to lack. Hopefully your vinyl copy conveys that during your demo.

Edited by Vieira4, 16 October 2010 - 07:32 AM.

#80 ZimZum

ZimZum

AV Forum Member

• PipPip
  • 178 posts

Posted 25 October 2010 - 11:08 PM

Received a copy of King Crimson "In The Court Of The Crimson King" 200gram vinyl reissue from Redeye records. Sounds sensational even on my entry level gear. Includes a code to d/load a 320kbps mp3 rip of the LP.

#81 Gutty

Gutty

AV Forum Member

• 4,083 posts

Posted 26 October 2010 - 07:14 AM

Includes a code to d/load a 320kbps mp3 rip of the LP.

This seems to be getting more popular. Yesterday i recieved 4 newies from Vinyl-Eye, one of them being Nirvana - MTV Unplugged which also comes with an MP3 download of the album. I already have it on CD so won't be using it, but still, not a bad idea IMO.

#82 Skid_MacMarx

Skid_MacMarx

AV Forum Member

• 8,928 posts

Posted 07 November 2010 - 10:44 AM

Speaking of "wider groove spacing" in another thread.. lead to me dusting off Metamatic by John Foxx last night.
Impressive bass response even for a 33 rpm Lp.

#83 :)

:)

AV Forum Member

• 31,392 posts

Posted 07 November 2010 - 10:56 AM

Speaking of "wider groove spacing" in another thread.. lead to me dusting off Metamatic by John Foxx last night.

I find the bass capability of vinyl quite outstanding actually. Discs like St germaines tourist, massive attack, nit in sawhney, talvin singh, Craig armstrongs storm etc are just mind blowing bass wise.

I think it's a common misconception. Oh vinyl can't do bass, because oh track width and needle will jump out and cr@p with little knowledge that, that is why they invented riaa bias which is implemented in all hono stages. Ie when they record them they apply riaa pre emphasis to reduce bass Increase treble at point of recording, and then when playing back the phono stage would apply the de emphasis to cut treble and boost bass to end up with a flat response to what was recorded. A simple system that was invented back in 1946 with the columbia lp and implemented widely post 1954

http://en.wikipedia....AA_equalization

Something that puts pay to those whom for whatever reason think vinyl not capable of top end or bass, but likely those sort of people typically not really heard a decent vinyl system anyhow...

#84 gone_bush

gone_bush

AV Forum Member

• 5,724 posts

Posted 08 November 2010 - 06:17 AM

From TFA:

due to the gradual obsolescence of vinyl records

Is there something that we don't know? Are people withholding some information from us? :huh: :lol:

#85 Skid_MacMarx

Skid_MacMarx

AV Forum Member

• 8,928 posts

Posted 02 February 2012 - 07:27 PM

I wonder what type of turntable and cartridge Jobs had...

[Neil] Young said the Apple co-founder [Steve Jobs] was such a fan of music that he didn't use his iPod and its digitally compressed files at home. Instead, he used a physical format well-known to have better sound.

"Steve Jobs was a pioneer of digital music. His legacy is tremendous," Young said on Tuesday in the US. "But when he went home, he listened to vinyl [albums]."

http://www.smh.com.a...0201-1qs2o.html

#86 Chicken Man

Chicken Man

AV Forum Member

• 6,319 posts

Posted 02 February 2012 - 08:02 PM

QUOTE (Skid_MacMarx @ Nov 7 2010, 11:44 AM)

I find the bass capability of vinyl quite outstanding actually. Discs like St germaines tourist, massive attack, nit in sawhney, talvin singh, Craig armstrongs storm etc are just mind blowing bass wise.

I think it's a common misconception. Oh vinyl can't do bass, because oh track width and needle will jump out and cr@p with little knowledge that, that is why they invented riaa bias which is implemented in all hono stages. Ie when they record them they apply riaa pre emphasis to reduce bass Increase treble at point of recording, and then when playing back the phono stage would apply the de emphasis to cut treble and boost bass to end up with a flat response to what was recorded. A simple system that was invented back in 1946 with the columbia lp and implemented widely post 1954

Something that puts pay to those whom for whatever reason think vinyl not capable of top end or bass, but likely those sort of people typically not really heard a decent vinyl system anyhow...

One very important benefit that came with using RIAA recording and playback equalization was the reduction in grove tracking noise, though it did emphasize low frequency rumble to some extent.

C.M

#87 loki65

loki65

AV Forum Member

• 8 posts

Posted 03 February 2012 - 07:40 AM

my current setup - rega p5, groovetracer platter, subplatter & counterweight, ortofon cadenza black, rega ios, TTpsu

Posted Image

upgrading to one of these - with an sme m2 arm.

http://www.onceanalo...m.au/index.html

Edited by loki65, 03 February 2012 - 07:46 AM.

#88 Gutty

Gutty

AV Forum Member

• 4,083 posts

Posted 03 February 2012 - 10:51 AM

upgrading to one of these - with an sme m2 arm.

http://www.onceanalo...m.au/index.html

Nice ! The Once tables are truly beautiful, and from all reports sound just brilliant. Are you getting the old or new style plinth ?

Edited by Gutty, 03 February 2012 - 11:18 AM.

#89 loki65

loki65

AV Forum Member

• 8 posts

Posted 03 February 2012 - 12:43 PM

Nice ! The Once tables are truly beautiful, and from all reports sound just brilliant. Are you getting the old or new style plinth ?

The new style.

#90 Gutty

Gutty

AV Forum Member

• 4,083 posts

Posted 13 February 2012 - 06:31 AM

Was in JB HiFi at Penrith on the weekend, Great to see them selling a small collection of vinyl.

Went in to pick up the new Slash CD, left with:

Slash - Made in Stoke - CD
Slash - Made in Stoke - Blu-Ray
Motorhead - The World is Ours - Blu-Ray
Ben Harper and the Relentless 7 - Live from Montreal - CD

Nirvana - Live At Reading - Vinyl
Chris Shiflett and the Dead Peasants - Vinyl (He plays lead guitar for the Foo Fighters for anyone wondering)
U2 - October - Vinyl

Wish my local JB would stock some...

Edited by Gutty, 13 February 2012 - 06:37 AM.

#91 geoffcb

geoffcb

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPipPip
  • 703 posts

Posted 25 February 2012 - 10:24 AM

Mine is my dream rig, the rega p9. style_emoticons/default/wub.gif
Being my ninth life, I'll be going to the grave with it style_emoticons/default/ohmy.gif

I run it with the ortofon jubilee

And audio research ph5.

Makes for a lovely combo I think style_emoticons/default/smile.gif

As I've said over at SNA, I bit the bullet and grabbed a P9 last year. Last in the country at the time...

I use a 2M Black and now a Graham Slee Reflex M. I find it a great combination and I would think outperforms my A3000 and B&W 600 series speakers, although Pure Direct sounds pretty good. The detail, the detail...

No, I'm not about to spend MORE money, but have you ever compared the Ortofon Jubilee with a mm like the 2M Black? They both run a nude shibata, I see.
I would think that the only upgrade "pre" amplifier I could do would be a MC and Elevator.

Geoff

Edited by geoffcb, 25 February 2012 - 10:25 AM.

#92 :)

AV Forum Member

• 31,392 posts

Posted 29 February 2012 - 09:45 PM

hi geoff, cant comment jubilee vs the black . am a bit of a mc fan. have heard kontrapunkt blue vs the jubilee when demoing, and then my previous cart in the mc10 supreme. From what I know the black I think take mm's to a new level.

in the end it definitely all comes down to a sound that appeals and a combination that works together and delivers. and that way absolutely love the jubilee, do think its something quite special. to the point I went and grabbed another ! just incase some misfortune might befall the one I have or incase need to replace it down the track :)

ps got some goodies in the mail today :)

vinyl IMG_3737.jpg

very much looking forward to a listen !

#93 :)

AV Forum Member

• 31,392 posts

Posted 01 March 2012 - 05:50 PM

couple of more records today, whitney houstons "whitney"

and I'm your baby tonight :)

already have the "whitney houston" debut album

that played a week or so ago on her passing. little daughter was with me that saturday morning "nice music daddy" she said. was quite intrigued by the big "DV-DV" with the little hole as she described the record hehe

#94 Guest_obee_*

Guest_obee_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 March 2012 - 10:57 PM

little daughter was with me that saturday morning "nice music daddy" she said. was quite intrigued by the big "DV-DV" with the little hole as she described the record hehe

Our Grand Daughter gets a kick out of it when I spin a few tunes on the shed system. She doesn't worry about CD's, but as soon as I bring a big black one out, she wants to be picked up to watch it going round and round.

Love the way she sits on my big swivel chair bopping along to tunes. :sorcerer:

#95 mr-happy-pants

mr-happy-pants

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,512 posts

Posted 02 March 2012 - 09:58 AM

That's what it's all about obee :)

#96 :)

AV Forum Member

• 31,392 posts

Posted 02 March 2012 - 06:44 PM

yes ! just what its about :)

#97 geoffcb

geoffcb

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPipPip
  • 703 posts

Posted 04 March 2012 - 11:55 PM

lLittle daughter was with me that saturday morning "nice music daddy" she said. was quite intrigued by the big "DV-DV" with the little hole as she described the record hehe

DV DV - priceless!!

#98 com5984

com5984

AV Forum Member

• 2,845 posts

Posted 02 April 2012 - 08:14 PM

For those that are sna members there's a gb for some denon cartridges.
http://www.stereo.ne...__fromsearch__1