• This topic is locked This topic is locked
93 replies to this topic

#1 bradp51

bradp51

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPipPip
  • 946 posts

Posted 27 August 2010 - 10:08 AM

I would just like to comment on these for sale threads that get hijacked with rubbish comments both good and bad.

Don,t get me wrong I love For sale threads because maybe someone is selling something I want to buy.

Now why do people feel the need to get on these thread with comments like "thats a great piece of gear good luck" then someone disagrees and it goes on
we have all seen it degenerate into another thread about the pros and cons of some piece of equipment.

In my opinion if you need to ask a question and you are a potential buyer then PM the person. It is crazy that price is even effected by other peoples influence, this is just plain nuts.

I remember a for sale thread a few years ago where the seller even started getting angry over the fact that people asked him questions. And then spat the dummy and withdrew the items.

And the final classic with these threads is the old post saying things like " i would have bought it from you but I do not have the money " how many of those do you see, what a waste of time is that, especially for the poor seller who thinks he may have a sale until he reads it.

If I ever sell anything the last thing I would like to see is any post other than sending PM to alert me to an offer. Why would I be interested in knowing someone wants it but does not have the money. Or someone thinks its a great or bad product.

My 2 cents worth. I am sure that maybe a few out there will agree. :D

#2 myrantz

myrantz

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,181 posts

Posted 27 August 2010 - 10:22 AM

If I ever sell anything the last thing I would like to see is any post other than sending PM to alert me to an offer. Why would I be interested in knowing someone wants it but does not have the money. Or someone thinks its a great or bad product.

Anything goes I guess... At the very least it could be a free bump.... Genuine buyers will appreciate the feedback, and you can't get honest feedback, if everybody follows some etiquette...

Differing of opinions is a good thing. Considering the alternatives, everybody agrees on the same thing (it may sound too good to be true), OTOH if nobody talks about it (buyer has no idea what this is)....

At least, everything is out there, for any buyers to consider and weigh the pros and cons.. it's as honest as it gets....

As for if I have the money now remarks.. It's probably more a hint that it's not the right timing, or right location.. That's like expressing interest, a fishing remark so to speak. Anything you sell, anywhere, you will get remarks from people like that. Be it selling something in a shop, selling a property, or on e-bay....

Selling something is a lot of effort and hassle.. Buyer and seller may not have the same expectations... That's why very few people do it, and why some would rather give it away...

I'd say fight it out.. :ninja: It's a lot more transparent...

#3 GrantleyBuffalo

GrantleyBuffalo

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPip
  • 483 posts

Posted 27 August 2010 - 10:28 AM

I hate blatant false advertising. I thought this post was going to have some groovy vintage clothes for me to buy, man.

#4 skinXBWAU

skinXBWAU

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,938 posts

Posted 27 August 2010 - 10:30 AM

It is up to the seller.

Personally, if I was selling something then I would encourage comment and 'free bumps'.

Perhaps there could be an option for sellers to lock threads after the first post to force interested parties to PM?

Quite a few threads get 'hijacked' but that is just the nature of online forums. Someone misunderstands a comment or take offence and then everyone has to have the 'last word' creating pages of nothing posts. They die out eventually. ;)

#5 OakenShield

OakenShield

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,366 posts

Posted 27 August 2010 - 10:37 AM

I agree, if all you want to do is sell something, take it to e-bay.

I think it's good the way they are structured now, for the most part, feedback is positive and based on peoples comments, you know whether or not you are asking the right price for your goods, and also if you are buying from a reputable seller, can't be anything wrong with that.

Genuine questions about the item I think should be encouraged to post, rather than PM, rather than answering 20 pm's asking the same thing :D

The mods here don't openly support fs threads, so if you choose to sell something here, you take the replies under your skin I guess.

I think the vast majority of sellers on here walk away satisfied with how it was carried out from what I've read on FS threads ;) So feedback after the fact is good as well

my 2c :P

#6 :)

:)

AV Forum Member

• 31,392 posts

Posted 27 August 2010 - 10:57 AM

the mods do not openly even allow for sale threads, just the odd sale is tolerated if related to the hobby. commercial sale threads of spruiking or flogging wares definitely not allowed and clearly indicated in the rules of the forum.

as to white anting and people having jibes, and trying to reduce the percieved value of an item in for sale threads. there are always vultures swirling around unfortunately. recently we saw in the svs sub eq/submersive thread that they start circling at group buy time even ! trying to drag the price down !. and some even saying they'll keep circling till post group buy when items come up for sale cheaper :rolleyes: for some things are never cheap enough it would seem.

unfortunately or fortunately a forum is just no different to society so will find all sorts. you tolerate them or ignore them or get on with thim. its your choice. as with anything the place will be whatever you make of it :)

we do have rules of etiquette, it covers white anting as well

http://www.dtvforum....showtopic=30985

but yeah a lot just comes down to courtesy and decency, which some dont seem to get their head around.

#7 POV

POV

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,426 posts

Posted 27 August 2010 - 01:00 PM

At the end of the day there is always going to be different opinions on public forums, and different ways of expressing those opinions…….this is fine and even healthy (most of the time). IMO there is a problem where people are (or seem to be…) unwilling to accept other people’s opinions differing to their own. It occurs to me that these people would be better served by not posting at all. No-one likes being involved in a one sided exchange and if you are more interested in being ‘heard’ than in conversing then this is to the detriment of the wider forum community.

It’s a public forum and we have to be prepared to accept that for what it is; imho if you start to throttle peoples rights to post it is a slippery slope from there down into censorship. One of the things that makes DTV a great forum is that there is a relative free reign (within reason) for all to post their opinions without fear. If people don’t like this aspect of the forum then perhaps they should consider the alternative……

It could easily be argued that if don’t want people posting in a for sale thread then they shouldn’t attempt to sell here, and there are certainly many other ways of advertising and selling equipment. That being said I do believe a modicum of basic courtesy should be applied and deliberate attempts to undermine genuine sales are uncalled for.

There is a member generated forum etiquette on hereas linked above, and that was a fine attempt to apply a standard, however it is just like anything else…..when you apply it to a wide community cross section of different people there is inevitably going to be those that have differing value sets and therefore choose to conduct themselves in accordance with a different standard. Reading through the said forum etiquette and applying my own values I find myself thinking that some of it is sensible and some of it is a tad sanctimonious and OTT……and that’s where we end up; with no choice but to accept that we are all indeed different.

For mine the anonymity of internet forums (especially large ones) works against them, and leads to people seemingly thinking it is okay to behave in a manner that they wouldn’t normally.

My 2c……

#8 myrantz

myrantz

AV Forum Member

• 16,181 posts

Posted 27 August 2010 - 01:10 PM

For mine the anonymity of internet forums (especially large ones) works against them, and leads to people seemingly thinking it is okay to behave in a manner that they wouldn’t normally.

Arguments are a fact of life ... no use avoiding it.. It's how we adults conduct ourselves during and after .. and this community is great at that .. So it's ok... :P

My 2c……

6 cents now.. come on.. need heaps more to make a dollar...

Why aren't catch phrases indexed to CPI? :D It should at least be My 20c now?

#9 Woodlake

Woodlake

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPipPip
  • 731 posts

Posted 27 August 2010 - 02:11 PM

It’s a public forum and we have to be prepared to accept that for what it is; imho if you start to throttle peoples rights to post it is a slippery slope from there down into censorship. One of the things that makes DTV a great forum is that there is a relative free reign (within reason) for all to post their opinions without fear. If people don’t like this aspect of the forum then perhaps they should consider the alternative……

Nicely put Drew
+1

#10 Ventura

Ventura

AV Forum Member

• PipPip
  • 222 posts

Posted 27 August 2010 - 02:40 PM

if all you want to do is sell something, take it to e-bay.

Nailed it.

A forum is not somewhere you can sell stuff, it's a place where discussions happen. If I were selling an item but didn't want to risk having a discussion about the sale, it would be a bit stupid of me to try and sell it here.

Take the good with the bad.

#11 Groover !

Groover !

AV Forum Member

• 3,917 posts

Posted 28 August 2010 - 01:03 PM

I've been a forum member for over 8 years now and have bought and sold lots of great items from here and never had a problem with anyone. (Mind you I do a history search on the person first.)
Each to their own I guess .

#12 wixy

wixy

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPip
  • 417 posts

Posted 28 August 2010 - 01:48 PM

It's definately a risky business buying and selling items here.

As an example, I recently bought an item only to discover it was significantly faulty, and the seller refused a refund.

I dared to mention the sellers actions here only to suffer a truckload of nasty abuse from him, and then my comment was removed by a dtvforum mod on the request of the seller.

So it seems that dtvforum is happy to let dodgy sellers get away with being dodgy. This means one must be extra vigilant when buying or selling here.

(Mind you I do a history search on the person first.)

Unfortunately that's not always going to be helpful when any negative comments about sellers are removed.

Edited by wixy, 28 August 2010 - 01:50 PM.

#13 zzzfred

zzzfred

AV Forum Member

• 10 posts

Posted 29 August 2010 - 11:33 AM

Looking for a av reciever to buy and want to know how to post that in home theatre forum,cant start a new topic,any advice not sure i know what im doing

#14 Adelaideltpc

Adelaideltpc

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,772 posts

Posted 29 August 2010 - 11:43 AM

Looking for a av reciever to buy and want to know how to post that in home theatre forum,cant start a new topic,any advice not sure i know what im doing

You can only start a new topic/thread and use pm facility when your post count is 6 or more ..... make a few more posts!

#15 skinXBWAU

skinXBWAU

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,938 posts

Posted 29 August 2010 - 11:44 AM

As an example, I recently bought an item only to discover it was significantly faulty, and the seller refused a refund.

I dared to mention the sellers actions here only to suffer a truckload of nasty abuse from him, and then my comment was removed by a dtvforum mod on the request of the seller.

So it seems that dtvforum is happy to let dodgy sellers get away with being dodgy. This means one must be extra vigilant when buying or selling here.

Unfortunately that's not always going to be helpful when any negative comments about sellers are removed.

Really? That's pretty bad.

I have never seen something like that happen here before. I only deal with well established members though, so I wouldn't deal with someone who's first post is a for sale post for instance.

#16 Quark

Quark

AV Forum Member

• 3,587 posts

Posted 29 August 2010 - 11:46 AM

Make some extra posts here to get your post count up to six. Then you can start a new topic. :D

#17 myrantz

myrantz

AV Forum Member

• 16,181 posts

Posted 29 August 2010 - 11:58 AM

Buying anything 2nd hand is always a risk I guess.. Sad to hear your story though...

Can PM me the seller ? :ninja: At least that so I wouldn't get caught out.. :ninja:

Yeah.. But Caveat Emptor applies I guess. Sometimes people win, sometimes people lose.. Sorry about your case though. really am :(... Hence personally don't really sell things at all.... And prob why the mods here never officially sanction any FS stuffs...

#18 Adelaideltpc

Adelaideltpc

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,772 posts

Posted 29 August 2010 - 05:36 PM

That's pretty BAD! Sorry to hear your experience....
Can you let me know (pm) who this "member" is so I can take precautions in the future. Thanks!

#19 yorac

yorac

AV Forum Member

• 24,446 posts

Posted 29 August 2010 - 06:18 PM

That's pretty BAD! Sorry to hear your experience....
Can you let me know (pm) who this "member" is so I can take precautions in the future. Thanks!

and just to add some balance here I sold my Integra 9.9 to the person that wixy is talking about here and had the total opposite experience with the same member, the fact that a thread that the member in question and wixy has already been closed and deleted by the mods doesn't give rise to it being regurgitated in here, a shame that both parties have not been able to sort it amicably but as stated my transaction with the member in question was very good at all times........

#20 HTPC-Guru

HTPC-Guru

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,183 posts

Posted 29 August 2010 - 09:27 PM

I'm curious to know who the forum member was also, for future reference. Pm me please.

#21 themaestro

themaestro

AV Forum Member

• 19 posts

Posted 30 August 2010 - 01:21 AM

It seems I have two choices, let WIXY badmouth me and tell his version of events and have people judge me on his say so or play his game and yet again have to defend myself on the forum which just ends up turning into he said, I said.
The facts are prior to WIXY looking at the projector he was informed of a line running down the edge of the image down one side. He wanted to see the projector and offered $200 less than the asking price, on arrival I played HD TV, 720P movie material and on his request a white image so he could see the fault in detail. As I showed him without hiding anything, with a proper screen the flocking hides the line and does not affect the viewed picture. He was happy paid his $150 and walked out with a Z2 720p projector with mounting plate and ceiling mount and connecting cables and adapters original box and manual a bargain in anyone eyes.

On his arrival home he projects the image on his wall and decides he does not like the line as it is more noticeable without the proper projector screen. He PMs me and informs me he is now not happy with his purchase and wants a full refund asap as I deliberately deceived him in his eyes. At this point everything is civil and I report I will get back to him. On asking other members on the forum since Wixy was made aware of the line prior and during and I did not hide the fact and he offered $200 less than the asking price because of the said line I was not obliged to offer a refund. Wixy was upset and was not happy with my response so I went to the effort of contacting others that were interested in the projector and one asked me to PM his details as he wanted it line and all for that price.

The place I was purchasing my new projector also rang me and had a certain buyer for my old projector and asked for it. On being told the purchaser was not happy with it because of the line on the edge of the image they relayed back to me to get the purchaser to contact them as their guy wanted it and was ready to pay $250 for it sight unseen. Wixy was given all the contact details in full to effect the sale as the shop was local and as close to him as WIXY was to me.

I shouldn't bring it up but since WIXY likes to do discuss only his side on the forum I should also say in my defense my wife on the day had had a scan at eight weeks only to find we had lost it, our first pregnancy after 7 attempts. I informed him of all the details of our loss and told him to stop PMing me take up the offer and let us to grieve in piece. Within hours WIXY is posting online of his sour experience with me on how he was sold a lemon but in private telling me he has onsold the projector for what he bought it for and said its news to him about my offer even though my sent box clearly shows it being sent and him opening it prior to claiming he did not receive it. He does not state all the details that led me to become upset with his actions while I got tired of his nasty posts asking people to PM him so he can tell them all what a nasty seller I have been all the while not looking at himself and his unconscionable behavior considering our situation.

Although not agreeing to take it back as I was within my rights not to I made the effort to secure him a buyer with a $100 profit in it for him to make the peace and leave us be when we needed to concern ourselves with more important things. I take no pleasure in bringing the facts out in public. Like I informed him if he thought he was right get fair trading involved or a solicitor and fight for what he thinks is right instead making personal attacks online.

One last thing WIXY the moderators did not take out the post on my say so. They looked at all the posts and PMs between us and made their own decision on the mater.

WIXY what to you want from me and when do your personal attacks stop. I have done all that I can for you and even the moderators actions and the forums rules seem not to apply to you. I have found the whole experience in dealing with you very unpleasant and immature and in all honesty if people on this forum think that I am in the wrong and you can continue to carry on about this matter forever and a day and take you side then I would rather not be a member of this forum with faceless online bullies like yourself.

I can block you from PMing me but cant stop your constant personal attacks on myself on the forums. My wife did not want me to post a reply as she says it only eggs you on and encourages you write more vile things about me. The devil I do, the devil I don't if I say nothing or say something in my defense. No need to Pm people who I am as I have nothing to hide and my online name is here for all to see. People can read my untainted factual version or your secretive one sided view of events.

I welcome feedback from others and of course Wixy's continued attacks on me regardless of the truth or actual facts.

Edited by themaestro, 30 August 2010 - 10:06 AM.

#22 Drizt

Drizt

AV Forum Member

• 5,930 posts

Posted 30 August 2010 - 01:33 AM

A very unfortunate set of events.

Hopefully all can move on from here.

Sorry to hear of the lose of your unborn.

#23 GrantleyBuffalo

GrantleyBuffalo

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPip
  • 483 posts

Posted 30 August 2010 - 09:34 AM

That's a truly awful story, maestro. No one should have to put up with that sort of treatment, especially in your circumstances.

Thanks for posting your side.

#24 minty

minty

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,291 posts

Posted 30 August 2010 - 10:22 AM

Well there's always two sides to every story, the ones on here asking for details via PM so as to avoid possible future transactions should be ashamed of themselves.

#25 myrantz

myrantz

AV Forum Member

• 16,181 posts

Posted 30 August 2010 - 10:44 AM

themaestro, I'm very sorry for your loss.

Well there's always two sides to every story, the ones on here asking for details via PM so as to avoid possible future transactions should be ashamed of themselves.

Why? I'm not... As a buyer I will do everything in my power to protect my own interest... And I avoid getting personal for what is really a business transaction. Yes I'm heartless.

That said, I'd let themaestro grief in peace now.. Again sorry for your loss.. If there's anything I can do, PM....

And I'd prob start by shutting up now..