#1 mjkoolio

mjkoolio

AV Forum Member

• PipPip
  • 224 posts

Posted 20 August 2010 - 12:32 PM

Bad news guys....

From TV Tonight:

WIN Corporationís pay television service SelecTV will cease to broadcast its English language titles, in a major change for subscription television.

http://www.tvtonight...age-pay-tv.html

#2 reubot

reubot

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPip
  • 271 posts

Posted 20 August 2010 - 01:54 PM

Austar CEO John Porter said: “AUSTAR wants to ensure that all regional SelecTV customers will have the opportunity to have not only continuous service, but also an improved product offering for a very similar price.

Wonder if Foxtel will do the same?

Edit:
Hhmm it looks like the package will still be around in some form.

Foxtel and Austar hope to use the marketing agreement to generate new customers for SelecTV.

Edited by reubot, 20 August 2010 - 02:35 PM.

#3 Jamiez

Jamiez

AV Forum Member

• Pip
  • 98 posts

Posted 20 August 2010 - 02:38 PM

So wait what does this mean? No more selectv?

and are foxtel offering the exact same package for the same price? so confused >.<

#4 reubot

reubot

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPip
  • 271 posts

Posted 20 August 2010 - 02:56 PM

and are foxtel offering the exact same package for the same price? so confused >.<

We don't know yet. There will a letter going out to all English Subs, it should be in that.

#5 doyle63

doyle63

AV Forum Member

• 53 posts

Posted 20 August 2010 - 07:23 PM

We don't know yet. There will a letter going out to all English Subs, it should be in that.

ok, now i have a mediastar hdx 9100, do these boxes work with foxtel? Any one know if it will?

#6 doyle63

doyle63

AV Forum Member

• 53 posts

Posted 20 August 2010 - 08:05 PM

What kind of deal will foxtel offer select customers

#7 reubot

reubot

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPip
  • 271 posts

Posted 20 August 2010 - 11:02 PM

ok, now i have a mediastar hdx 9100, do these boxes work with foxtel? Any one know if it will?

According to the thread on Austech, the newest Foxtel cards work with the latest firmware.

#8 Jamiez

Jamiez

AV Forum Member

• Pip
  • 98 posts

Posted 21 August 2010 - 02:50 PM

Ohh this sucks!

Foxtel had better put up a bloody good offer for us!

Foxtel's basic package doesnt even come close to matching what selectv had plus its $2 more....select had a variety of things to offer, kids, mtv, movies..... the only thing worth
watching in foxtels basic would probably be fox8 in my opinion.

Also with select i liked the fact i wasn't locked into a contract! Foxtel better pull there strings!

#9 doyle63

doyle63

AV Forum Member

• 53 posts

Posted 21 August 2010 - 03:45 PM

Ohh this sucks!

Foxtel's basic package doesnt even come close to matching what selectv had plus its $2 more....select had a variety of things to offer, kids, mtv, movies..... the only thing worth
watching in foxtels basic would probably be fox8 in my opinion.

Also with select i liked the fact i wasn't locked into a contract! Foxtel better pull there strings!

im pi?@ed what will foxtel offer us hope its similar to what we have now, i dont want basic its crap

#10 Jamiez

Jamiez

AV Forum Member

• Pip
  • 98 posts

Posted 21 August 2010 - 06:10 PM

im pi?@ed what will foxtel offer us hope its similar to what we have now, i dont want basic its crap

I agree with you 100% buddy! I was so happy with the fact that selectv offered a range of different things in 1 package! and it was cheap!!!!
excuse my language but foxtel has so much **** in there basic package plus like i said above its $2 more.... then i also have to be locked into
a 12 month contract PLUS if i want to get what i had before with select i have to purchase MORE packages!

I used to like foxtel and as a teen i wanted it so bad, i begged my parents but they just wouldnt get it... now im starting to hate them, they are
forever advertising and now there starting to eliminate all competition so we are FORCED to join them!

$16 extra for movies
$16 extra for kids
$16 extra for documentarys

what happened to "Pay-tv with less to pay"

once again sorry for my language but **** THAT!

If foxtel dont offer the "PERFECT" plan for selectv subscribers i will not hesitate to drop paytv!

Btw, dunno if anyone noticed but on selectv's website you can no longer subscribe for the premium tv package!

Edited by Jamiez, 21 August 2010 - 06:16 PM.

#11 figjam

figjam

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPipPip
  • 668 posts

Posted 21 August 2010 - 06:10 PM

Ohh this sucks!

Foxtel's basic package doesnt even come close to matching what selectv had plus its $2 more....

Well it's $12 more than I pay and not a single movie channel in site!

#12 Jamiez

Jamiez

AV Forum Member

• Pip
  • 98 posts

Posted 21 August 2010 - 06:23 PM

Just wanted to post this, i dunno if its already been seen by some people...

"SelecTVís 22,000 subscribers will be contacted by either Austar or Foxtel after both subscription providers signed exclusive marketing agreements with SelecTV in order to offer a continuity of service, under the agreement the service will continue in order to allow for a smooth transition.

Austar CEO John Porter said in a statement yesterday that the 8000 SelecTV subscribers in their service area will be contacted shortly to outline transition arrangements. Foxtel also announced they will also directly contact subscribers:

ďFoxtel wants to warmly welcome SelecTV customers to Foxtel, we are working with SelecTV to contact relevant SelecTV customers to offer them Foxtel, ensure a continuity of their service and to manage their transition from SelecTV to Foxtel as seamlessly as possible over the next 90 days.Ē

Source: http://www.mediaspy....nguage-service/

#13 doyle63

doyle63

AV Forum Member

• 53 posts

Posted 22 August 2010 - 01:05 PM

Will fox/austar offer be, movie network some news channels, E!, music, disney and nat geo/discovery much as we have now plus fox8 and some other basic stuff for about $50? I dont care for sport the select pack was fine for my family, i feel we're going to be totaly ripped off. If whats on offer isnt similar i dont think i will be interested. Stuck with a dish cable and a expensive box so be it. What would others here like as a foxtel pack for former select subs?
Whats fair and
whats not?

Edited by doyle63, 22 August 2010 - 06:30 PM.

#14 Jamiez

Jamiez

AV Forum Member

• Pip
  • 98 posts

Posted 22 August 2010 - 07:18 PM

Will fox/austar offer be, movie network some news channels, E!, music, disney and nat geo/discovery much as we have now plus fox8 and some other basic stuff for about $50? I dont care for sport the select pack was fine for my family, i feel we're going to be totaly ripped off. If whats on offer isnt similar i dont think i will be interested. Stuck with a dish cable and a expensive box so be it. What would others here like as a foxtel pack for former select subs?
Whats fair and
whats not?

Well i payed $350 when i first subscribed to select so i WASNT on a contract for 12 months, so ill be making sure that if foxtel include a contract ill be ringing/emailing them and telling them i will not be subscribing to them and ill be dropping pay-tv if they dont drop the whole contract idea!

Im not to fussed about movies or sport but i want something for the kids and i want some entertainment like fox8 and disney and mtv for around the same price as select, and then ill be happy!

#15 doyle63

doyle63

AV Forum Member

• 53 posts

Posted 22 August 2010 - 07:47 PM

Well i payed $350 when i first subscribed to select so i WASNT on a contract for 12 months, so ill be making sure that if foxtel include a contract ill be ringing/emailing them and telling them i will not be subscribing to them and ill be dropping pay-tv if they dont drop the whole contract idea!

Im not to fussed about movies or sport but i want something for the kids and i want some entertainment like fox8 and disney and mtv for around the same price as select, and then ill be happy!

no contract, low cost same reason for me too

#16 Jamiez

Jamiez

AV Forum Member

• Pip
  • 98 posts

Posted 22 August 2010 - 07:56 PM

Austarís CEO John Potter has stated that the consumers of the SelecTV are going to receive a system setting from the company and also they are going to help the consumers for which they will never out of service and can enjoy the channels without any disturbance.

So if everything goes fine between these two companies and settle the deal then undoubtedly it will be a great offer for the subscribers.

Hmmm, only time will tell about this "special" offer we are supposedly getting.

Source: http://topnews.us/co...welcome-selectv

#17 doyle63

doyle63

AV Forum Member

• 53 posts

Posted 22 August 2010 - 11:04 PM

Hmmm, only time will tell about this "special" offer we are supposedly getting.

Source: http://topnews.us/co...welcome-selectv

Hmmm. Interesting well lets see what goes on, thanks for the link

#18 Bertzz

Bertzz

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPipPip
  • 710 posts

Posted 23 August 2010 - 04:30 PM

Shocking news. I hope Foxtel provide continuity of my Selectv plan, but dought they will. Oh well, Selectv was good while it lasted but I suspect that I will be declining foxtel if they cant give me all the current Selectv channels at the same price!

#19 johnjet

johnjet

AV Forum Member

• PipPip
  • 223 posts

Posted 23 August 2010 - 04:50 PM

If you read the original post it says Austar and Foxtel have signed a marketing agreement. This means Select will give these companies your names and you will be offered a deal to switch to them.
You won't get a seperate service, price etc. It will be a simple "If you want to continue watching then etc etc". The same thing happened when the old Galaxy pay tv service went out of business.
The only difference is that Foxtel and Austar won't have to come and collect the equipment - as you own it - if you are not interested in the service.

#20 Bertzz

Bertzz

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPipPip
  • 710 posts

Posted 23 August 2010 - 06:49 PM

If you read the original post it says Austar and Foxtel have signed a marketing agreement. This means Select will give these companies your names and you will be offered a deal to switch to them.
You won't get a seperate service, price etc. It will be a simple "If you want to continue watching then etc etc". The same thing happened when the old Galaxy pay tv service went out of business.
The only difference is that Foxtel and Austar won't have to come and collect the equipment - as you own it - if you are not interested in the service.

I suspect you are right. I for one will not accept any fo the existing Foxtel plans and suspect that 95% of all the 20000 Selectv subscribers will do the same. Who wants a 12 month contract and to more than double your monthly subs to get a similar selection of channels. I suppose that with the extra FTA channels coming it will have to be just FTA for me for a while until mode decent iptv services come along (along with the NBN of course).

#21 Jamiez

Jamiez

AV Forum Member

• Pip
  • 98 posts

Posted 23 August 2010 - 07:54 PM

I suspect you are right. I for one will not accept any fo the existing Foxtel plans and suspect that 95% of all the 20000 Selectv subscribers will do the same. Who wants a 12 month contract and to more than double your monthly subs to get a similar selection of channels. I suppose that with the extra FTA channels coming it will have to be just FTA for me for a while until mode decent iptv services come along (along with the NBN of course).

I agree!

I also will not be accepting what foxtel hav to offer unless on the VERY ODD ans SLIM chance they offer us "the perfect plan" like i said above. If i recieve a letter from foxtel in the mail and they state selectv's names at any point in the letter, ill be contacting them about "if i join will you drop the 12 month contract" on the odd chance they MIGHT agree and also because i have nothing to lose in trying.

But as you can probably see the no contract in selectv was a big deal for me because it ment i could leave any at point!

So yea im 98% sure i wont be joining foxtel

#22 doyle63

doyle63

AV Forum Member

• 53 posts

Posted 23 August 2010 - 10:12 PM

Get started + a movie pack for the basic price $42 p/m + 12m contract

#23 Bertzz

Bertzz

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPipPip
  • 710 posts

Posted 24 August 2010 - 08:18 AM

If there were some kids channels thrown in then maybe thats starting to get closer to the Selectv deal, but just basic + movies is not good enough and especially not on a contract!

#24 Kris82

Kris82

AV Forum Member

• 5 posts

Posted 24 August 2010 - 09:56 AM

Where did you get this info from?? This is actually reasonable price surprisingly

#25 Jamiez

Jamiez

AV Forum Member

• Pip
  • 98 posts

Posted 24 August 2010 - 10:59 AM

Where did you get this info from?? This is actually reasonable price surprisingly

He didnt get it from anyware lol,

We were suggesting things that would be reasonable for foxtel to offer us, to get us to subscribe to them!

I hate the fact that they think they can just "smoothly" transfet us over to foxtel, we picked selectv OVER foxtel for a reason.