Viewer Access Satellite Television - Vast

• Please log in to reply
480 replies to this topic

#351 Jeffry

Jeffry

AV Forum Member

• 51 posts

Posted 26 January 2011 - 03:45 PM

Had a "special permission" online activation in about 4 hours this week. :)

Fastest I have had is latest two installed ; 2 working days. So, the activation time is definitely much quicker than it was.

Jeff

#352 HillsTas

HillsTas

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPip
  • 299 posts

Posted 28 January 2011 - 01:18 PM

I had a "remote" box activated online in 10min the other day including commercial channels, was very impressed! I was standing there telling the customer to go home straight away and plug box in, and suddenly all the channels lit up, customer was very happy.

Cheers

Dave

Edited by HillsTas, 28 January 2011 - 01:20 PM.

#353 KAKTUS

KAKTUS

AV Forum Member

• 60 posts

Posted 04 February 2011 - 01:33 PM

I succumbed and bought a VAST box from Jeff. Thanks Jeff.

Set up was pretty straight forward except that I had to run the output through a VCR recorder and have the RF out cable connected to the TV set, before the TV set could see it.

They only supply the usual Red/White/Yellow terminated cables, and if I connected these to the like inputs on the TV, No picture.

I'm assuming that the problem is due to my 4 year old 68cm CRT TV set, It seems to need to have RF in connected before it sees a picture.

Into the 2nd working day and only ABC and SBS so far. The picture quality is good, but I've had a few picture freezes for a couple of seconds.

In operation the box reminds me of the Austar boxes of years gone by. Better than a poke in the eye with a blunt stick!

#354 viewer

viewer

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPipPip
  • 842 posts

Posted 04 February 2011 - 02:56 PM

I succumbed and bought a VAST box from Jeff. Thanks Jeff.

Set up was pretty straight forward except that I had to run the output through a VCR recorder and have the RF out cable connected to the TV set, before the TV set could see it.

They only supply the usual Red/White/Yellow terminated cables, and if I connected these to the like inputs on the TV, No picture.

I'm assuming that the problem is due to my 4 year old 68cm CRT TV set, It seems to need to have RF in connected before it sees a picture.

Into the 2nd working day and only ABC and SBS so far. The picture quality is good, but I've had a few picture freezes for a couple of seconds.

In operation the box reminds me of the Austar boxes of years gone by. Better than a poke in the eye with a blunt stick!

I can't remember because it is a while since I set mine up, but you may need to look at the settings within the menu and adjust the output/video display settings to suit composite leads. It may be set to hd output (1080) ex factory.....you probably need to set it to 576 or something?

#355 KAKTUS

KAKTUS

AV Forum Member

• 60 posts

Posted 04 February 2011 - 03:10 PM

I can't remember because it is a while since I set mine up, but you may need to look at the settings within the menu and adjust the output/video display settings to suit composite leads. It may be set to hd output (1080) ex factory.....you probably need to set it to 576 or something?

I was thinking along the same lines viewer and checked the factory setting, It's 576i.

With the Humax STB I had the same set up, R W & Y connections would only work when the RF cable was connected between the STB and the TV set.

I suspect that the R W Y connection only works alone when connected to a HD TV set.

#356 viewer

viewer

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPipPip
  • 842 posts

Posted 04 February 2011 - 03:56 PM

Hi,

Trying to help you, I disconnected my hd inputs and connected the yellow white and red composite leads, selected 576i and it works flawlessly on my HD plasma connections.

I then repeated the exercise by connecting the same leads to an old centrex analogue colour tv, and it also works perfectly.

things for you to look at...
1) are your av inputs faulty
2) your lead is faulty
3)have you connected the leads correctly
4)your box is faulty

The box here acts exactly as it should...something your end not right?

#357 KAKTUS

KAKTUS

AV Forum Member

• 60 posts

Posted 04 February 2011 - 04:42 PM

Hi,

Trying to help you, I disconnected my hd inputs and connected the yellow white and red composite leads, selected 576i and it works flawlessly on my HD plasma connections.

I then repeated the exercise by connecting the same leads to an old centrex analogue colour tv, and it also works perfectly.

things for you to look at...
1) are your av inputs faulty
2) your lead is faulty
3)have you connected the leads correctly
4)your box is faulty

The box here acts exactly as it should...something your end not right?

Thanks for the trouble you've taken viewer, Much appreciated.

I'll dig out the destruction manual that came with the TV set and see if there are any clues there, as the set has 3 individual inputs for composite leads.

If still no joy I'll suspect that you're probably right about a defect in the TV inputs.

Plenty of time to fiddle around thanks to Yasi. :angry2:

Cyclone activity in the area of Townsville has affected the processing centres responsible for VAST applications. This has had the following effects:

* The VAST activation information line at 1300 993 376 is closed until further notice; and
* Applications for the VAST service can still be lodged however approval of applications for the VAST service may be delayed during this time.

Doncha just hate these wanton "Acts of God!" :wacko:

#358 viewer

viewer

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPipPip
  • 842 posts

Posted 04 February 2011 - 05:17 PM

Thanks for the trouble you've taken viewer, Much appreciated.

I'll dig out the destruction manual that came with the TV set and see if there are any clues there, as the set has 3 individual inputs for composite leads.

If still no joy I'll suspect that you're probably right about a defect in the TV inputs.

Plenty of time to fiddle around thanks to Yasi. :angry2:

Doncha just hate these wanton "Acts of God!" :wacko:

If you had a fta hd box, then these are fta on c1/d3
Optus C1

12324 V 16672
WIN CARINS,
GEM Cairns,
GO Cairns

D1

D1 12395 V Sr 11909 FEC 2/3 8PSK DVB S2..

GEM 1080i
GO 576 i
9 Digital 576i

#359 KAKTUS

KAKTUS

AV Forum Member

• 60 posts

Posted 06 February 2011 - 12:39 PM

RE UEC
The customer reports the picture freezes between 10 to 30 seconds at a time. Perfect picture not pixalated then restarts with no faults. This is not weather related
as clear sky today and still doing it. The fault is also random.
If it is as i think and faulty has anyone delt with uec for warranty on vast boxes

The issue is common to all VAST boxes, but the problem is apparently with the conditional access (encryption) system than the decoder itself.

There is a message appearing on the VAST info page (800) advising UEC is aware of the issue and hopes to have an OTA firmware fix for this by the end on Jan 2011.

Does anyone know if this "Firmware fix" been download yet as my STB still occasionally freezes?

Edit:
Rang UEC this morning, 7-2-11, and spoke to a charming young lady with a South African accent.

She assured me that the problem was not with the box but was an Optus satellite software fault that will be rectified by 2 downloads, 1 to the box software and 1 to the smart card software, that should take place within the next 2 weeks.

Edited by KAKTUS, 07 February 2011 - 11:15 AM.

#360 Jeffry

Jeffry

AV Forum Member

• 51 posts

Posted 07 February 2011 - 03:01 PM

I haven't come across a problem with composite video feed from VAST boxes and I haven't come across a TV set that need RF input to operate in AV mode.

Very strange.

Obviously the box is working (otherwise would not go through VCR).

If all else fails I would double up and view on AV from VCR; even if RF lead is still connected. Might as well go for highest picture quality with equipment available.

Jeff

#361 KAKTUS

KAKTUS

AV Forum Member

• 60 posts

Posted 07 February 2011 - 03:25 PM

I'm of the same mind as Viewer in that the fault is in the TV set's inputs, But it's giving good pictures through the VCR so no complaints.

#362 Jeffry

Jeffry

AV Forum Member

• 51 posts

Posted 08 February 2011 - 11:37 AM

VAST activations have started again today. I was waiting on one and it showed first thing this morning.

I just sent application for traveller's permit and activation literally took less than one minute. I am impressed with that. :D
Are these automated from website form?

Jeff

Edited by Jeffry, 08 February 2011 - 11:39 AM.

#363 Jeffry

Jeffry

AV Forum Member

• 51 posts

Posted 11 February 2011 - 03:54 PM

The travellers permit soon after had an email confirmation. First time I have heard of any activation request being acknowledged.
I would say these, at least, are now automated.

Jeff

#364 KAKTUS

KAKTUS

AV Forum Member

• 60 posts

Posted 12 February 2011 - 09:21 AM

I can't complain Jeff, Mine was activated early on the third working day after I lodged my application.

And this was only a few days after cyclone Yasi.

#365 KAKTUS

KAKTUS

AV Forum Member

• 60 posts

Posted 16 February 2011 - 12:07 PM

Rang UEC again today about the picture freezing, The man I spoke to said it was a fault in only some of the cards and an OTA fix should happen in the next 2 weeks.

I asked who I should contact to return the box and get my money back, he asked for my card number and said he would see if the download could be expedited.

Sounds strange, If they have an OTA fix you'd think the download would have been done immediately they became aware of the problem.

#366 beeblebrox

beeblebrox

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,561 posts

Posted 16 February 2011 - 01:09 PM

Rang UEC again today about the picture freezing, The man I spoke to said it was a fault in only some of the cards and an OTA fix should happen in the next 2 weeks.

I asked who I should contact to return the box and get my money back, he asked for my card number and said he would see if the download could be expedited.

Sounds strange, If they have an OTA fix you'd think the download would have been done immediately they became aware of the problem.

sounds like a stalling tactic...

No i don't think a download should be done immediately a problem is identified.. I'd prefer them to test the fix a while before they do an ota rollout and screwup something else.... how many times do we see a bug fix cause other problems...
That being said in this day in age there should be a mechanism where you can download a fix from the web and try it if you want to (even a beta tester program) before it's done as an ota fix

#367 KAKTUS

KAKTUS

AV Forum Member

• 60 posts

Posted 16 February 2011 - 03:42 PM

A couple of hours after my call to UEC I got a call back from, a techie?, at UEC about the freezing problem.

He asked me to go into Advanced options>Smart card status>Patch Level.

Mine showed 0x00 and he said this indicated that the fix hadn't taken and he would take steps to have it sent again.

We talked about the limitations of the box and from what he implied the box can be upgraded OTA to have greater flexibility regarding the channels it can access, if it has to compete with more flexible boxes.

#368 beeblebrox

beeblebrox

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,561 posts

Posted 16 February 2011 - 07:31 PM

We talked about the limitations of the box and from what he implied the box can be upgraded OTA to have greater flexibility regarding the channels it can access, if it has to compete with more flexible boxes.

Roll on some competition because imho it's a crap box with a really crap implementation of the software restrictions..

Maybe we should start a list of what things would be good to have that we can send to UEC..

ie..

Diseqc support
PVR functionality via usb
additional sat/channel support ie Aljazerra

to name a few

#369 Jadakas

Jadakas

AV Forum Member

• 55 posts

Posted 19 February 2011 - 01:56 PM

A couple of hours after my call to UEC I got a call back from, a techie?, at UEC about the freezing problem.

He asked me to go into Advanced options>Smart card status>Patch Level.

Mine showed 0x00 and he said this indicated that the fix hadn't taken and he would take steps to have it sent again.

Mine shows 0x12

#370 Lineland

Lineland

AV Forum Member

• 17 posts

Posted 19 February 2011 - 03:44 PM

Is there any news on other brands preferably STRONG for VAST?
My neighbour has had 2 heaps of shityshit UEC boxes replaced under warranty.

Edited by Lineland, 19 February 2011 - 03:44 PM.

#371 beeblebrox

beeblebrox

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,561 posts

Posted 19 February 2011 - 10:38 PM

Is there any news on other brands preferably STRONG for VAST?
My neighbour has had 2 heaps of shityshit UEC boxes replaced under warranty.

nope ,

there's strong, healing and Pace in the mix maybe others but nobody is prepared to even give an indication of a date yet

RFA

#372 Jeffry

Jeffry

AV Forum Member

• 51 posts

Posted 03 March 2011 - 12:47 PM

Has the picture freeze glitch been fixed?

I installed a UEC box this morning; already activated ready to go immediately. A few minutes later it did a download and rebooted. I checked information channel and that has been changed to say fix will be downloaded early March.

So maybe this was the fix for that problem. I tend to see VAST channels only intermittently so have very rarely seen the problem occur.
Keep an eye out and advise here if you have had the problem and it is now cured. I would be interested for confirmation.

thanks
Jeff

#373 viewer

viewer

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPipPip
  • 842 posts

Posted 03 March 2011 - 01:11 PM

In the advanced section, an upgrade became availabe to most yesterday...it will take 10 mins for the process to complete, then reboot.

#374 KAKTUS

KAKTUS

AV Forum Member

• 60 posts

Posted 04 March 2011 - 05:04 PM

In the advanced section, an upgrade became availabe to most yesterday...it will take 10 mins for the process to complete, then reboot.

Yes viewer, I turned the box on to watch TV last night and not 1 freeze up of picture or audio.

Also they've improved the Program guide in as much as when you activate it, it remains on the channel you're watching and doesn't jump back to channel 1.

A VAST improvement I'd say.

Sorry. I couldn't help myself...

Edited by KAKTUS, 04 March 2011 - 05:14 PM.

#375 Tassie Devil

Tassie Devil

AV Forum Member

• 3,787 posts

Posted 16 March 2011 - 09:26 AM

Just joined this thread and confess to not reading all posts.

Although only around 10 km from Launceston (crow flying) we are in a black spot area here. After spending hundreds of dollars on aerials and technicians I was delighted to read about VAST. Delighted until I saw the detail.

I've skimmed through the BROADCASTING LEGISLATION AMENDMENT (DIGITAL TELEVISION) ACT 2010 (NO. 94, 2010) and fail to see any valid reasons why the present highly encrypted card system has evolved. Anyone can buy a terrestrial receiver can use FTA TV so why cannot anyone buy a satellite dish and use VAST whether they be in a black spot or not? For heavens sake it is supposed to be FREE to air!!

As I posted elsewhere I've been asking the bureaucrats questions on all this and have at last been promised answers. I'll post them up when they arrive.

John