Photo

Why Is There So Little Anime On Blu-ray?

• Please log in to reply
40 replies to this topic

#1 skinXBWAU

skinXBWAU

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,938 posts

Posted 02 July 2010 - 09:59 AM

I am a big Anime fan (probably feature films more than series with a few exceptions) and own a few on DVD.

Does anyone know why there are so few Anime films on Blu-ray? I would have thought the market would be pretty strong.

#2 myrantz

myrantz

AV Forum Member

• 16,172 posts

Posted 02 July 2010 - 10:16 AM

I am a big Anime fan (probably feature films more than series with a few exceptions) and own a few on DVD.

Does anyone know why there are so few Anime films on Blu-ray? I would have thought the market would be pretty strong.

I'm still waiting for the Aus release of Ponyo... :( THey havd DVD but no BD... UK already has it but I didn't order it yet (never order BD online as yet).... Nevermind... Found another Ponyo thread.. :lol: It's out!!! :wub:

I guess in this market DVD still reign... If Studio Gibli has a collectors edition I will snap it right up (HD audio track or not)...

Most animes are series though... Hence DVD?

Edited by treblid, 02 July 2010 - 10:18 AM.

#3 ajm

ajm

AV Forum Member

• 10,308 posts

Posted 02 July 2010 - 10:25 AM

I'm guessing it's a cost thing perhaps? Anime BD tend to be expensive which makes is a bit of a turn-off for me personally. And I'm not entirely convinced that a lot of anime would really benefit from an upgrade to HD. There are certainly some that do but a lot of what is produced is pretty basic in terms of PQ.

That's just my personal view though.

#4 petetherock

petetherock

AV Forum Member

• 3,103 posts

Posted 02 July 2010 - 10:29 AM

I'm guessing it's a cost thing perhaps? Anime BD tend to be expensive which makes is a bit of a turn-off for me personally. And I'm not entirely convinced that a lot of anime would really benefit from an upgrade to HD. There are certainly some that do but a lot of what is produced is pretty basic in terms of PQ.

Well you got it right with the cost.

Anyone here willing to pay 70 Aus for a Jap Ponyo with lossless 7.1 DTS-MA?
Or the same amount for Ultraman?

If you are in Japan, there are plenty of anime, and I guess the cost of living is higher, and even an average disc is 5000Y or more.

#5 myrantz

myrantz

AV Forum Member

• 16,172 posts

Posted 02 July 2010 - 10:36 AM

Unsure about that TBH. For old classics it'd be hard, esp some are actually mono.. :lol:

Well you got it right with the cost.

Anyone here willing to pay 70 Aus for a Jap Ponyo with lossless 7.1 DTS-MA?
Or the same amount for Ultraman?

Ultraman... I watch that everyday as a kid... Can't be sure I will do that now.. :ninja:... Ponyo was $100 on release day I think.. We can't justify paying that much for a movie... :( Damn expensive.

If you are in Japan, there are plenty of anime, and I guess the cost of living is higher, and even an average disc is 5000Y or more.

In BDs? Only been in Japan once . Must go back again.. :ninja:

#6 GrantleyBuffalo

GrantleyBuffalo

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPip
  • 483 posts

Posted 02 July 2010 - 10:38 AM

I had a quick look at my recently-arrived Evangelion 1.11 BD last night and it looks superb. Knowing that I got it for $US 13.99 instead of $US 16.49 or upwards is even better! :D

#7 skinXBWAU

skinXBWAU

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,938 posts

Posted 02 July 2010 - 10:38 AM

Anything that had a theatrical release should look fine on Blu-ray. TV series (older ones in particular) would probably not look that great especially if in 4:3.

I would love to see Spirited Away or Howl's Moving Castle in HD.

#8 petetherock

petetherock

AV Forum Member

• 3,103 posts

Posted 02 July 2010 - 10:49 AM

Depending on how stringent are your needs, US / UK releases may not have a lossless OST. But if you don't watch in Japanese, that may not affect you.

If the release is done by a foreign company, then it may be cheaper.

BTW there are many Ultraman releases, including some from recent years, none of them are really cheap.

Older catalogue titles from Ghbli are not switching to Hi Def fast, but with a good scaler, the SD DVDs look pretty ok on flatscreens.

#9 Director

Director

AV Forum Member

• PipPip
  • 250 posts

Posted 02 July 2010 - 01:24 PM

http://www.animenews...-ghibli-catalog ?

Here's hoping, I'll buy 2 or 3 of 'em for sure.

#10 skinXBWAU

skinXBWAU

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,938 posts

Posted 02 July 2010 - 01:40 PM

Oh kick arse! I will be keeping a keen eye on these.

#11 TechnoMage

TechnoMage

AV Forum Member

• Pip
  • 113 posts

Posted 02 July 2010 - 01:44 PM

This is the current Anime Blu-ray catalogue from Madman Entertainment:
- Afro Samurai Resurrection
- Afro Samurai: Directors Cut
- Akira
- Blood: The Last Vampire
- Claymore Collection
- Devil May Cry Collection
- Dragon Ball Z Kai Collection 1
- Evangelion: 1.11 You Are [Not] Alone
- Fullmetal Alchemist the Movie - Conqueror of Shamballa
- Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood Collection 1 (Ep 01-13)
- Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood Collection 2 (Ep 14-26)
- Ghost in the Shell 2: Innocence
- Ghost in the Shell: 2.0 Redux
- Halo Legends
- Ponyo
- Sword of the Stranger
- Vexille

There's plenty more from the US and UK if you import.

#12 skinXBWAU

skinXBWAU

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,938 posts

Posted 02 July 2010 - 01:46 PM

I only buy US Blu-rays.

Still, not a very big list.

#13 ...

AV Forum Member

• 8,286 posts

Posted 02 July 2010 - 03:14 PM

I too would love to see more titles out but it's true to say many will not benefit greatly from the medium....

One that I would love to see would be Vampire Hunter D, if for no other reason than to get a lossess audio track! :wub:

Also, this one snuck out when I wasn't looking and should be well worth it.
Appleseed - The Original Movie

#14 myrantz

myrantz

AV Forum Member

• 16,172 posts

Posted 02 July 2010 - 03:21 PM

- Fullmetal Alchemist the Movie - Conqueror of Shamballa
- Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood Collection 1 (Ep 01-13)
- Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood Collection 2 (Ep 14-26)

I'm a fan of this, but never get to finish watching it... But I never notice this in JB (or anywhere else before). Don't think I did anyway... Not BD.

#15 3daysofrain

3daysofrain

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,538 posts

Posted 02 July 2010 - 10:24 PM

I'll be importing Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood for sure. Collection 1 is out and like $60. Can be had for $30us. Collection 2 is out in august I think.
This new series is AWESOME and in glad it's getting bluray treatment :)

#16 mcduck

mcduck

AV Forum Member

• 15,207 posts

Posted 03 July 2010 - 06:14 AM

I'll be importing Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood for sure. Collection 1 is out and like $60. Can be had for $30us. Collection 2 is out in august I think.
This new series is AWESOME and in glad it's getting bluray treatment :)

and it's region free :D
http://bluray.liesinc.net/
so now what to do???
buy a new HD tv and blu for my / game / anime room or make the baby watch her anime in the main room? :o
or plan ahead for the boys room? :lol:

#17 theslydog

theslydog

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPip
  • 403 posts

Posted 03 July 2010 - 05:08 PM

I'm still waiting for the Aus release of Ponyo... :( THey havd DVD but no BD... UK already has it but I didn't order it yet (never order BD online as yet).... Nevermind... Found another Ponyo thread.. :lol: It's out!!! :wub:

I guess in this market DVD still reign... If Studio Gibli has a collectors edition I will snap it right up (HD audio track or not)...

Most animes are series though... Hence DVD?

I notice that the Ponyo on the Cliff by the Sea - Special Edition has 6.1 HD DTS in both English and Japanese.
However the std release Madman one says only 5.1 HD DTS.
Anyone confirm this? Anywhere locally to get the Special Edition or do you have to get it from the UK?
6.1 HD DTS PONYO UK - Australia - New Zealand Special Edition BluRay Review
5.1 HD DTS Madman AU std edition

#18 pi314

pi314

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPip
  • 367 posts

Posted 03 July 2010 - 06:54 PM

http://www.animenews...-ghibli-catalog ?

Here's hoping, I'll buy 2 or 3 of 'em for sure.

Hopefully they release

Laputa: Castle in the Sky

and

Spirited Away

:)

#19 ekkieTHUMP

ekkieTHUMP

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPipPip
  • 809 posts

Posted 03 July 2010 - 07:46 PM

Like every catalog title released on Blu Ray it's a hit and miss affair as to the worth of upgrading over dvd.I love Ghost in the Shell 2 Innocence for example but the local release is sub standard compared to the Japanese version which costs an arm,leg and first born child.The local anime releases don't seem to be discounted much either almost like they see anime fans as easy targets to be screwed for big dollars.Personally i think Satoshi Kon is the most gifted anime direcror in the world today and as he only has one BD out so far i would take a long hard look at adding anything else from his catalog if it ever hits the market.As it stands now the best so far are Tekkonkinkreet,Paprika and Sword of a Stranger

#20 GrantleyBuffalo

GrantleyBuffalo

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPip
  • 483 posts

Posted 03 July 2010 - 11:46 PM

As it stands now the best so far are Tekkonkinkreet,Paprika and Sword of a Stranger

In Your Personal Opinion, or a quantifiable fact?

#21 napalm68

napalm68

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPipPip
  • 876 posts

Posted 04 July 2010 - 08:31 AM

Like every catalog title released on Blu Ray it's a hit and miss affair as to the worth of upgrading over dvd.I love Ghost in the Shell 2 Innocence for example but the local release is sub standard compared to the Japanese version which costs an arm,leg and first born child.The local anime releases don't seem to be discounted much either almost like they see anime fans as easy targets to be screwed for big dollars.Personally i think Satoshi Kon is the most gifted anime direcror in the world today and as he only has one BD out so far i would take a long hard look at adding anything else from his catalog if it ever hits the market.As it stands now the best so far are Tekkonkinkreet,Paprika and Sword of a Stranger

I liked Satoshi Kon until I had the misfortune of listening to Madmans Millenium Actress. The sound on that disk was so bad it ruined the show experience (the Japanese lang tracks sounded like they were in an echo chamber and gave me a headache), and now when I hear Satoshi Kon I just think of it.

What is the issue with the Madman Innocence release? They didn't use the crap subtitles that Manga UK put on their blu ray did they (there were so many bad subtitles in the UK one - innumerable. the most striking one was the first 3/4 of the film they referred to Locus Solus as Rox - they got it right the last part of the film though (golf clap))? I returned mine, and bought the Japanese absolute edition.

#22 ekkieTHUMP

ekkieTHUMP

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPipPip
  • 809 posts

Posted 04 July 2010 - 11:17 AM

I liked Satoshi Kon until I had the misfortune of listening to Madmans Millenium Actress. The sound on that disk was so bad it ruined the show experience (the Japanese lang tracks sounded like they were in an echo chamber and gave me a headache), and now when I hear Satoshi Kon I just think of it.

What is the issue with the Madman Innocence release? They didn't use the crap subtitles that Manga UK put on their blu ray did they (there were so many bad subtitles in the UK one - innumerable. the most striking one was the first 3/4 of the film they referred to Locus Solus as Rox - they got it right the last part of the film though (golf clap))? I returned mine, and bought the Japanese absolute edition.

I don't recall the audio being that bad on Millenium Actress,i'll have to dig it out and give it another listen.One would hope we would get a better mix on any BD release.I do recall comparing the 5.1 dts ma audio of a BD rental of Ghost Innocence to my 6.1 dts ex dvd and being less than impressed with the BD.

#23 TechnoMage

TechnoMage

AV Forum Member

• Pip
  • 113 posts

Posted 05 July 2010 - 01:40 PM

I notice that the Ponyo on the Cliff by the Sea - Special Edition has 6.1 HD DTS in both English and Japanese.
However the std release Madman one says only 5.1 HD DTS.
Anyone confirm this? Anywhere locally to get the Special Edition or do you have to get it from the UK?
6.1 HD DTS PONYO UK - Australia - New Zealand Special Edition BluRay Review
5.1 HD DTS Madman AU std edition

I've confirmed that the Madman release is the same as the Blu-ray from the UK Optimum release.
Japanese DTS-HD MA 6.1
English LPCM 5.1

UK standard release also comes with the DVD of the movie.
UK deluxe edition has the DVD of the movie, sticker sheet, artcards in a digi-pack.

#24 kopthat

kopthat

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,133 posts

Posted 05 July 2010 - 02:12 PM

If Studio Gibli has a collectors edition I will snap it right up (HD audio track or not)...

We went to the Studio Ghibli Museum in Mitaka on a recent trip to Japan,
such an awe inspiring place.

Saw Mai and the Kittenbus short film, with the characters from Totoro,
it's a shame you can't get their short films

Edited by kopthat, 05 July 2010 - 02:13 PM.

#25 3daysofrain

3daysofrain

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,538 posts

Posted 05 July 2010 - 02:33 PM

I've confirmed that the Madman release is the same as the Blu-ray from the UK Optimum release.
Japanese DTS-HD MA 6.1
English LPCM 5.1

UK standard release also comes with the DVD of the movie.
UK deluxe edition has the DVD of the movie, sticker sheet, artcards in a digi-pack.

The deluxe sounds awesome!

Anyone keen to import this baby and go halfs in shipping?

Let me know :)