37 replies to this topic

#1 DR.ZOIDBERG

DR.ZOIDBERG

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,945 posts

Posted 30 June 2010 - 10:11 AM

Hey Guys
I hate the fact you need to pay a monthly price for Mystar etc. ATM I use my DVDR to record a show I might miss. Has anyone made or can you buy (Apart Beyonwiz) a Hard Drive Recorder that will record PayTV? I know you cant select the shows you want to record but you can still manually set the time etc like I do atm with my DVDR. Just want something that will do longer and more recordings in better quality too.

Ta
Zoidy

#2 DrP

DrP

AV Forum Member

• 16,740 posts

Posted 30 June 2010 - 10:37 AM

I use a PC to do it - automated scheduling, only records the first instance of a series + episode it sees, changes channels on the STB. It might seem like the hard way to do it, but at least I know what I want to record will be recorded and I'll be able to play it back too... which is more than can be said for a MyStar! :lol:

#3 pgdownload

pgdownload

AV Forum Member

• 11,732 posts

Posted 30 June 2010 - 10:37 AM

As you say BW also Topfields. I assume you want a sub $400 solution or is this feature just part of a bigger overall purchace?

Regards

Peter Gillespie

#4 DR.ZOIDBERG

DR.ZOIDBERG

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,945 posts

Posted 30 June 2010 - 11:00 AM

Best & Cheapest way. Beyonwiz is far too $$

Anyone know a cheap good one? Build one?

#5 pgdownload

pgdownload

AV Forum Member

• 11,732 posts

Posted 30 June 2010 - 11:11 AM

Best & Cheapest way. Beyonwiz is far too $$ Anyone know a cheap good one? Build one?

DVDRs are harddrive recorders. I assume you want a PVR or the like. You generally won't get any appreciable boost in PQ using a PVR over a DVDR. The limiting factor is the cable and PQ coming off the Mystar in the first place. What do you mean longer? Are you recording straight to DVD at the moment? You could just buy a second hand DVDR with harddrive?

Regards

Peter Gillespie

#6 DR.ZOIDBERG

DR.ZOIDBERG

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,945 posts

Posted 30 June 2010 - 11:14 AM

Yer I am just recording straight to DVD atm and the quality gets sh*ter the longer I want to record. So I want to record to a Hard Drive now. Was thinking of a second hadn system but thought I might be able to buy or build a new one

#7 pgdownload

pgdownload

AV Forum Member

• 11,732 posts

Posted 30 June 2010 - 12:16 PM

Generally over 2 hours on a DVD starts decaying quite noticeably.

You can grab a old model harddrive DVDR on eBay for around $250-$300.

Not sure you'll get a much better deal, although if you lurk around for a while something might pop up.

As mentioned, you could try set up recording direct to a PC with a cheap <$50 recording card? Just need to leave the PC on (although you could possibly set it to sleep and wake up pretty easily)

Regards

Peter Gillespie

#8 DR.ZOIDBERG

DR.ZOIDBERG

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,945 posts

Posted 30 June 2010 - 01:39 PM

Whats this Mediastar HDX9100 I am reading about?

#9 pgdownload

pgdownload

AV Forum Member

• 11,732 posts

Posted 30 June 2010 - 01:54 PM

Whats this Mediastar HDX9100 I am reading about?

Will probably do what you want but probably overkill.

Crazy Stu has them for $490

You might want a low level video capture option (but would need PC to be on)

The question is are we wasting time talking about $400+ boxes?

Regards

Peter Gillespie

Edited by pgdownload, 30 June 2010 - 02:09 PM.

#10 DR.ZOIDBERG

DR.ZOIDBERG

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,945 posts

Posted 30 June 2010 - 02:05 PM

Just got told the Mediastar will not work with Austar :(

I was told to look at Probox etc Would anyone recommend one that will do the JOB like the Probox?

#11 thomfam

thomfam

AV Forum Member

• PipPip
  • 191 posts

Posted 30 June 2010 - 04:06 PM

Just doing the Maths here on this. Mystar HD box and access to HD channels = $20 per month. About $500 for a Mediastar type box = 2+ year's access to Mystar and HD channels. Mystar will do the recording for you and is easy to set to record from the Austar Online Program guide. I do my daily browse across websites and in them I have the Austar Online Program Guide. I book what I want recorded (FTA and or Austar) from my PC direct to the Mystar box. Playback from HD recordings is fantastic quality.

Probably the best (and easiest) way to record Austar is via a Mystar HD box.

#12 DR.ZOIDBERG

DR.ZOIDBERG

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,945 posts

Posted 30 June 2010 - 04:13 PM

True but I was hoping to get something cheaper then $500 surley someone out there has done it

#13 pgdownload

pgdownload

AV Forum Member

• 11,732 posts

Posted 30 June 2010 - 04:26 PM

True but I was hoping to get something cheaper then $500 surley someone out there has done it

The problem is the feature (convert and record to a harddrive) you want is usually bundled with another bunch of functionality. You've got that functionality already in the form of a DVDR but to get the next bit you'll basically need to throw that out and buy it all again.

You haven't said much about the record to PC option? That would be cheap but PC would need to be on.

Regards

Peter Gillespie

#14 DR.ZOIDBERG

DR.ZOIDBERG

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,945 posts

Posted 30 June 2010 - 04:33 PM

Yer not to sure if I want the PC way. Just would like to record the same way I do now but onto a Hard Drive and have the ability to Pause, Rewind etc and watch the recording while its still recording which you cant on a DVDR

#15 lancer1993

lancer1993

AV Forum Member

• Pip
  • 81 posts

Posted 05 September 2010 - 07:44 PM

I have a standard Austar Digital STB that is more than 5 years old, a few years back I hooked it up to an LG which has both a DVD record and HDD and SD tuners. Connecting the Austar through RCA AV leads I can record anything I want to the HDD. If I wish to keep it I simply use the LGs editing function to cut ads and the like then record to DVD.

On a side note I read on this site that newer Austar boxes don't allow recording to an external PVR anymore, is this true? I'm just asking because I was considering updating the STB to MyStar for the HD channels. Also the LG is getting on and I was looking at replacing it with a Panasonic model that has twin HD tuners for FTA recording.

Edited by lancer1993, 05 September 2010 - 07:46 PM.

#16 hobb

hobb

AV Forum Member

• PipPip
  • 156 posts

Posted 11 September 2010 - 02:47 PM

I have a standard Austar Digital STB that is more than 5 years old, a few years back I hooked it up to an LG which has both a DVD record and HDD and SD tuners. Connecting the Austar through RCA AV leads I can record anything I want to the HDD. If I wish to keep it I simply use the LGs editing function to cut ads and the like then record to DVD.

On a side note I read on this site that newer Austar boxes don't allow recording to an external PVR anymore, is this true? I'm just asking because I was considering updating the STB to MyStar for the HD channels. Also the LG is getting on and I was looking at replacing it with a Panasonic model that has twin HD tuners for FTA recording.

Hi Lancer. I'd recommend buying a Jaycar stabiliser.

#17 lancer1993

lancer1993

AV Forum Member

• Pip
  • 81 posts

Posted 11 September 2010 - 06:31 PM

Hi Lancer. I'd recommend buying a Jaycar stabiliser.

I've heard of them, they overcome the MyStar restrictions do they?

I'm not considering getting one now but the Austar box is getting on in years and if it craps out I need options.

#18 hobb

hobb

AV Forum Member

• PipPip
  • 156 posts

Posted 11 September 2010 - 10:17 PM

I've heard of them, they overcome the MyStar restrictions do they?

I'm not considering getting one now but the Austar box is getting on in years and if it craps out I need options.

There was a few threads in here about this issue late last year when Mystar HD was released. The Jayar was one of 2 or 3 that were recommended. I bought the Jaycar one and it's served my purpose adequately.

#19 lancer1993

lancer1993

AV Forum Member

• Pip
  • 81 posts

Posted 14 September 2010 - 09:50 PM

There was a few threads in here about this issue late last year when Mystar HD was released. The Jayar was one of 2 or 3 that were recommended. I bought the Jaycar one and it's served my purpose adequately.

I checked it out and the one I saw needs s-video connections, which I guess the new Austar/Mystar have them?

Just need to make sure any future PVR I get has s-video in as well.

#20 hobb

hobb

AV Forum Member

• PipPip
  • 156 posts

Posted 15 September 2010 - 02:39 AM

I checked it out and the one I saw needs s-video connections, which I guess the new Austar/Mystar have them?

Just need to make sure any future PVR I get has s-video in as well.

Hi Lancer. Yep, the Jaycar stabiliser and the Mystar SD & HD have s-video as well as composite.

Edited by hobb, 15 September 2010 - 02:42 AM.

#21 DR.ZOIDBERG

DR.ZOIDBERG

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,945 posts

Posted 21 October 2010 - 10:29 AM

Anyone use a UltraPlus 980HD with Austar

Im still looking for a nice setup for recording Austar. My DVD recorder doesnt do the trick anymore if I wanna record more then 2 hours the PQ drops bad.

Anothering I have a problem with, I am getting a new TV soon which does not have S-Video input. My Austar box is connected to my current TV via S-Video and also connect to my DVD Recorder via Composite. If I connect Austar to my new TV viz Composite its gonna look crap compared to S-Video. Is there anything that I can connect Austar too that will also upscale the PQ on my TV?

#22 philart

philart

AV Forum Member

• 1 posts

Posted 09 November 2010 - 09:35 PM

I have a Dimax gizmo which allegedly strips the copy protection which normally prevents copying Austar to DVD recorders etc. My DVD recorder is a Samsung, not one of the best I know. Well I record a programme to a DVD and it replays OK but when I attempt to finalise the disc up pops a message "disc couldn't finalize due to error detection". I'm wondering if this is something of Austars doing or whether it's an issue with DVD recorder &/or the TDK -R discs I'm using?

I guess all I need to know is whether there's anyone on this forum using the dimax and successfully finalising their recordings?

Cheers from a newbie.

Edited by philart, 09 November 2010 - 10:14 PM.

#23 DrP

DrP

AV Forum Member

• 16,740 posts

Posted 10 November 2010 - 06:36 AM

It'd be an issue with the recorder and/or media since the output of your Austar box would not be involved during disc finalisation.

#24 Lot16

Lot16

AV Forum Member

• 10 posts

Posted 24 November 2010 - 12:22 PM

I've been using a standard Austar ATLAS decoder box for almost 7 years. For about the last 2 1/2 years, I've been recording any Austar channels to my Aldi's Tevion 400 GB HD/DVD Recorder without any problems.

However, in the last 24 hours, I can't record anything. When I hit record on the Tevion RC, I get "copy protection" when I hit record. I've never had this happen until today. I would have recorded 100's 1000's of shows.

Now, it doesn't matter which channel I try to record, I will get the "copy protection" message when I hit record on the DVR. I tried resetting my DVR to factory defaults but it didn't make any difference.

As far as I can tell, Austar has done something since yesterday that scrambles their signal so that can't record like I did prevously. This happens with ALL Austar channels.

I may have to look at getting one of the video stabliser units that are mentioned in the MyStar thread. ..

Anyone else, having probems with the STANDARD Austar box which only just started happening? I know there are threads on the MyStar boxes. I really don't need MyStar and I like the ability to offload recordings to a DVD as I do now - or that is - I used to be able to do.

Thanks!

#25 Kai

Kai

AV Forum Member

• 1 posts

Posted 24 November 2010 - 01:15 PM

I've been using a standard Austar ATLAS decoder box for almost 7 years. For about the last 2 1/2 years, I've been recording any Austar channels to my Aldi's Tevion 400 GB HD/DVD Recorder without any problems.

However, in the last 24 hours, I can't record anything. When I hit record on the Tevion RC, I get "copy protection" when I hit record. I've never had this happen until today. I would have recorded 100's 1000's of shows.

Now, it doesn't matter which channel I try to record, I will get the "copy protection" message when I hit record on the DVR. I tried resetting my DVR to factory defaults but it didn't make any difference.

As far as I can tell, Austar has done something since yesterday that scrambles their signal so that can't record like I did prevously. This happens with ALL Austar channels.

I may have to look at getting one of the video stabliser units that are mentioned in the MyStar thread. ..

Anyone else, having probems with the STANDARD Austar box which only just started happening? I know there are threads on the MyStar boxes. I really don't need MyStar and I like the ability to offload recordings to a DVD as I do now - or that is - I used to be able to do.

Thanks!

The same thing is happening to me, just as of this morning. I've got an old ATLAS box plugged in to an LG DVR, and when I try to record off any Austar channel my DVR puts a message on the screen 'Record-blocking signals are detected' and stops recording, and I can't work out any obvious way around it.