• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#1 unique7

unique7

AV Forum Member

• Pip
  • 89 posts

Posted 29 May 2010 - 01:16 AM

Almost 2 out of 10 shows recorded on my IQ box fail. The error message is constantly No signal. Why is it doing this? For almost four months it has been doing this and its like it does it on purpose!

Every week I've been trying to record Airline USA on 7Two and every time it fails and its because "No signal". Is this just truly bad luck or something Foxtel are getting up to?

I feel like throwing the box in front of my car and crushing it. I'm so sick of it failing to record many shows. I've reseted the box countless times. Sometimes the box can fail to record a full days worth of recording and I once had up to 10 shows failed to record in order.

Sometimes I don't mind because I can record a repeat but what SHITS me is when it fails to record a show on the FTA channels because they do not repeat. I wait a whole week for a show to air only for the box to fail.

Is it because the box is old? I think its like 3/4 years old now? :angry2: :angry2: :angry2:

#2 ozasis

ozasis

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPip
  • 296 posts

Posted 29 May 2010 - 03:30 AM

Are you on cable or sat?

#3 jsk38

jsk38

AV Forum Member

• PipPip
  • 176 posts

Posted 29 May 2010 - 10:54 AM

Almost 2 out of 10 shows recorded on my IQ box fail. The error message is constantly No signal. Why is it doing this? For almost four months it has been doing this and its like it does it on purpose!

Every week I've been trying to record Airline USA on 7Two and every time it fails and its because "No signal". Is this just truly bad luck or something Foxtel are getting up to?

I feel like throwing the box in front of my car and crushing it. I'm so sick of it failing to record many shows. I've reseted the box countless times. Sometimes the box can fail to record a full days worth of recording and I once had up to 10 shows failed to record in order.

Sometimes I don't mind because I can record a repeat but what SHITS me is when it fails to record a show on the FTA channels because they do not repeat. I wait a whole week for a show to air only for the box to fail.

Is it because the box is old? I think its like 3/4 years old now? :angry2: :angry2: :angry2:

I wonder if the drive needs reformatting or defraging if that's possible? My IQ is a few years old now and I've just had a failed recording too. BTW, when I tried to delete the failed recording from the planner the box crashed and rebooted, but it hasn't happened since. Coincidentally, this was on a FTA program too.

Have you phoned Foxtel? Don't speak to the first tech-support person who answers the phone. They can pass you on to more senior technicians (with Australian accents!!) who can take you through the process of reformatting the drive (you'll lose what's on it of course, but it sounds like that's not a problem). If that doesn't work, they'll replace it.

Or, of course, just make a service call citing your problem and odds are they'll just replace it with a new one.

#4 Struggo

Struggo

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,317 posts

Posted 29 May 2010 - 12:05 PM

My IQ1 fails also when there is only 10% or less hard drive space left.

#5 MediaDude

MediaDude

AV Forum Member

• 52 posts

Posted 29 May 2010 - 12:27 PM

I wonder if the drive needs reformatting or defraging if that's possible?

Id love to know if it could defrag too. I pretty much keep kids movies permanently on my IQ2 as I couldn't be bothered getting the DVD's out and after a few months, the program shows breakup with some no longer playing past a certain point at all.

Does anyone out there know if you can defrag an IQ2?

#6 sulrich

sulrich

AV Forum Member

• PipPip
  • 175 posts

Posted 29 May 2010 - 04:54 PM

Agree with your frustration.

Do a reset on the box (back and select) and clean up as many shows off there as you can.
Mine sometimes does this (and its an original launch box) and this works for me.
Cheers
Steve

#7 bigcon84

bigcon84

AV Forum Member

• PipPip
  • 152 posts

Posted 29 May 2010 - 07:38 PM

Okay do the back and select reset and then do as follows.
1. Hit setup on your remote and select system setup
2. Select foxtel iq or iq2 setup, number 6.
3. Ensure disk space management, add to start of recording and add to end of recording is set to auto. And make sure instant rewind is on 60 mins, for some reason the factory settingis 30 mins. Stupid I think, if u can have 60 why not.

When u record shows and if ur planner Is adding 10 mins to the end of a show it won't come up as a recording clash. Thus failing a recording.

Also check to see if ur series links aren't the issue as a series linked program doesn't come up as a recording clash either it will just fail. I too had issues like u time to time. Not as much since I gotiq2. That extra tuner is gold dude plus the extra space.

If no luck u will have to do a full system reset, last resort as u loose everything

good luck, my advice upgrade to iq2. Worth every bit of the installation fee.

#8 More HD

More HD

AV Forum Member

• Pip
  • 112 posts

Posted 31 May 2010 - 01:01 AM

I was wondering if anybody can give me some information. I had IQ2 and had recorded some of my favourites shows and wanted to keep it, I was thinking of getting a blue ray recorder, but can I transfer my hard drive IQ2 to blue ray recorder? Or should just get a dvd HD recorder? Most of shows in the hard drive are HD.

Thanks.

Cheers

#9 TerenceJ

TerenceJ

AV Forum Member

• Pip
  • 67 posts

Posted 31 May 2010 - 11:13 AM

I was wondering if anybody can give me some information. I had IQ2 and had recorded some of my favourites shows and wanted to keep it, I was thinking of getting a blue ray recorder, but can I transfer my hard drive IQ2 to blue ray recorder? Or should just get a dvd HD recorder? Most of shows in the hard drive are HD.

Thanks.

Cheers

I have Foxtel IQ2 and have it linked via Scart cable from its Scart out to Panasonic Blue Ray 500 GB recorder Scart in (must be AV2) and have no problems dubbing to HDD and then onto DVD, obviously the format will only be in SD quality but with the Blue Rays upscaling you can hardly tell the difference between live (our current HD format 720 P or 1080i )and the resulting copy.
Doing it that way helps reduce the IQ2 HDD clutter. :D

#10 marco1968

marco1968

AV Forum Member

• PipPip
  • 171 posts

Posted 03 June 2010 - 11:49 AM

I had signal failure a few times last week and called Foxtel (they were all FTA channels that failed). In fact I also realised I'd lost picture from all the FTA's or had really bad pixellation from the FTA's hence the failed recordings. Problem was fixed by pulling the cable from the wall, and the power plug itself for about a minute. Reconnecting it the first time didn't work. I did it again and it worked the 2nd time and I got all my channels back.

Really peeved this happened directly after a tech came out to install multiroom. The FTA's worked in the other room (where multiroom was installed) but not in the main room where my IQ2 was. It would seem (this isn't the first time for me) that when techs come out to fix or install things, they screw up the signal settings - funny that, sometimes requiring another tech to come out and be paid for further work by Foxtel when the job should have been done properly in the first place.

#11 More HD

More HD

AV Forum Member

• Pip
  • 112 posts

Posted 03 June 2010 - 02:53 PM

I have Foxtel IQ2 and have it linked via Scart cable from its Scart out to Panasonic Blue Ray 500 GB recorder Scart in (must be AV2) and have no problems dubbing to HDD and then onto DVD, obviously the format will only be in SD quality but with the Blue Rays upscaling you can hardly tell the difference between live (our current HD format 720 P or 1080i )and the resulting copy.

Thanks, mate.

cheers

#12 unique7

unique7

AV Forum Member

• Pip
  • 89 posts

Posted 04 June 2010 - 02:51 PM

Sorry for the late reply. Sometimes my FTA channels don't work. I was scanning through channels and none of my FTA channels were working.

And to add insult to injury, my AIRLINE USA programs failed to record AGAIN on 7Two. I checked and the channel is working now but I can never check because I'm not home or forget to check when the program is on.

I get this No signal error intermittently. It failed to Record a simpsons show last night on FOX8!

I deleted almost every show I have watched and removed any doubles that might have been recorded and I'm now on 45% free and it still failed to record a show last night.

This is really peeving me off...

I'm on satellite by the way, I would have been more annoyed if we were paying for this service!

edit: I don't want to take the risk of formatting the box because I have too many shows that I haven't watched yet and also if formatting does not work it means I've deleted all my programs for nothing!
I hate how foxtel don't have a backup feature yet.

Edited by unique7, 04 June 2010 - 02:52 PM.

#13 laurie

laurie

AV Forum Member

• 6,371 posts

Posted 04 June 2010 - 09:33 PM

I also lost the Professionals on 7Two and the AFL footy show on a manual record on 9! :(

cheers laurie

#14 More HD

More HD

AV Forum Member

• Pip
  • 112 posts

Posted 14 June 2010 - 06:44 PM

How much did you paid for the Panasonic Blue Ray 500GB recorder? That's means I have to press Iq2 remote to AV2 in order to watch or recorder any show?

Cheers

#15 Gozu

Gozu

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPip
  • 267 posts

Posted 15 June 2010 - 04:08 AM

This is basically what happened to my last Foxtel IQ box. Shows would record but couldn't play back and bugs would appear in certain points of the hard drive like say 13% left, 27%, 54% etc. I used to get around it by just setting it to record a big program like Rage or something to get through that faulty area but then eventually it got to the stage there were so many problem areas in the hard drive that you were purely gambling if you wanted to record anything. Might record might not.

Eventually I rang Foxtel and they sent out a guy to replace it with a fresh box and I asked what the problem was and he basically just said it's s__t itself and it's actually a common occurrence.

#16 More HD

More HD

AV Forum Member

• Pip
  • 112 posts

Posted 05 September 2010 - 12:11 PM

I just noticed Masterchef UK on Friday recording failed due to signal failure? Could it be weather or could it be 53% memory left on the hard drive - too many recorded shows?

#17 loony

loony

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,969 posts

Posted 06 September 2010 - 11:35 PM

I just noticed Masterchef UK on Friday recording failed due to signal failure? Could it be weather or could it be 53% memory left on the hard drive - too many recorded shows?

If the error mentioned a signal failure then that would be the cause.
Did you have strong rain on Friday?

Having 53% free hard drive will not cause any problems.
The IQ will keep recording until the drive is full.

#18 More HD

More HD

AV Forum Member

• Pip
  • 112 posts

Posted 07 September 2010 - 11:01 PM

If the error mentioned a signal failure then that would be the cause.
Did you have strong rain on Friday?

Having 53% free hard drive will not cause any problems.
The IQ will keep recording until the drive is full.

Well, just showers but the funny things is that I recorded masterchef uk and Australian Renovation at the same time, Australian Renovations on How To Channel was recorded without any failure but not for Masterchef.

#19 nanci1

nanci1

AV Forum Member

• Pip
  • 65 posts

Posted 12 September 2010 - 07:24 AM

Oh yes.. i know exactly how that feels sir.
I too have to record the tv programes 7 days a week but mainly on my pioneer dvd recorder since it has a hard drive built in.. i know have set all hours daily automaticaly recording for the next 1 to 20 days.. but its tireing to set up each date the time and so on for foxtel. I think there has been times when things fail to record due to recording a difrent programe at the same time and it just corrupted. So i know how sick it is to record all the time and fails.

#20 chewygumby

chewygumby

AV Forum Member

• Pip
  • 67 posts

Posted 12 September 2010 - 12:32 PM

Please feel free to help nanci1.

FYI

nanci1 is a well known troll. His indecipherable posts are beyond the pale.
Please be warned.

An option is to ignore.

If offended or annoyed by his posts in these sections of the forum
please use the report button.

If you find his posts amusing,
please seek help

nanci1

AKA

Dondomains called herself Linda xox
Profolios - called herself Macphee
Malissa (BURNED)
jon10210 (BURNED)
gh36j
maquiery - called herself Malissa
sandvd called herself Sam
Forrestery2K
nanci1 - her 9th ID on the dtvforum

#21 torana355

torana355

AV Forum Member

• 11 posts

Posted 17 September 2010 - 11:04 PM

Im getting the same problem specifically with channel 10. The hi def FTA channels record fine but channel 110 seems to fail regularly. I got the IQ2 box replaced two days ago and also got my signal checked which is excellent at +7db yet the issue is still there!!! This is happening with 95% of the HDD free btw. Anyone have any ideas???

#22 dabs

dabs

AV Forum Member

• 2 posts

Posted 18 September 2010 - 06:21 PM

I have had disruption to all my FTA channels (except SBS) for the past month with intermittent periods of fluctuating signal. When it happends it makes watching those channels impossible and affects any recordings of FTA shows. I am on cable in Sydney. The error message is the same "No signal is being received".

Repeated calls to Foxtel technical support have not resulted in a fix. Endless reboots, disconnecting and reconnecting the cable etc make no difference. Finally a technican was to come out, but after waiting at home and then ringing when no one turned up, I was told something had been done remotely and now a technician did not need to come out. Whatever was done remotely, seemed to reduce the number the number of times the drop outs happen (as well as invalidate all my existing recordings) but it didn't fix the problem.

I am trying to work up the energy to ring Foxtel technical support yet again and go through the whole process of trying to get someone to help with this issue. Very frustrating!

#23 mosblk

mosblk

AV Forum Member

• PipPip
  • 245 posts

Posted 22 September 2010 - 07:27 AM

i'm getting this on satellite again... had Cutting Edge on SBS set to record last night but Failed due to 'No Signal" even though Fox sports FC successfully recorded at the same time. Go figure ...

second time for me, if it keeps up i'll get a freeview DVR and ditch the foxtel altogether...

#24 More HD

More HD

AV Forum Member

• Pip
  • 112 posts

Posted 22 September 2010 - 10:49 PM

i'm getting this on satellite again... had Cutting Edge on SBS set to record last night but Failed due to 'No Signal" even though Fox sports FC successfully recorded at the same time. Go figure ...

second time for me, if it keeps up i'll get a freeview DVR and ditch the foxtel altogether...

It happens to me too, 2 channels at the the same time - tv1 successfully recorded but lifestyle food failure. So now i stop recording shows that clashes, I will record one show now and the other show +2 channel record later = it works as long as there are not at the same time. It never happens before but only the past 2 weeks - it has been playing up!

#25 LOU LOU

LOU LOU

AV Forum Member

• 29 posts

Posted 08 February 2011 - 11:14 PM

Lost two recordings tonight, the first was SBS at 8.30pm, the second was the second NCIS on channel 10 at approx 9.30pm - the first one at approx 8.30pm was fine.
Both programs looked to be recording OK (I checked as the series link has been unreliable lately & I've lost confidence in general) but afterwards showed failure due to code 40, whatever that is.

IQ box, 30% free space, weather seems fine (we have satellite connection).
Haven't had a failure problem for years.
Any clues?

Lou