TV news in Canberra

• Please log in to reply
45 replies to this topic

#1 Latham4PM

Latham4PM

AV Forum Member

• 44 posts

Posted 30 August 2004 - 06:42 PM

I've been noticing stories about how the 9 and 7 news in Sydney is becoming more and more Sydney focussed, with over-the-top showing off of the harbour, opera house, bridge, CDB, etc etc. I've not noticed if the local stations here in Brisbane are re-vamping sets and formats so I doubt if it's a nationwide thing.

Well that's all well and good if you live in Sydney. But when are Canberra's commerical TV stations going to wake up to themselves and put decent locally news back on. No doubt they'll be screening this sh*t from Sydney. You can only get decent news on the ABC in Canberra.

I don't know why people in Canberra won't vote with their remotes and just bycott this sh*t. So what if it costs $$$$, none of the stations are going broke or struggling to break even!

prime, LOSE-TV and SC10 (especially SC10 for they once were good at this but sold their soul out at the end of '01) should all hang their heads in shame for the way they treat the "supposed" national capital news viewers. To think there's going to be a territory election in November but all you'll be seeing is Bob Carr this, Bob Carr that, traffic on the M5 etc etc.

And don't bother trying to tell me that "win/LOSE do a local news!" Their's is cheapskate and amateurish and wouldn't be worthy of a passing grade in a university TV production course, let alone masquerading as a major broadcast network. You couldn't pay me to watch it.

Surely, surely one day at least one of the stations in Canberra will give Canberrans a decent news, devoid of Sydney-centric rubbish.

Standing ovation for the ABC.

#2 Star

Star

AV Forum Member

• Pip
  • 120 posts

Posted 30 August 2004 - 06:54 PM

Hi,

Seriously take a chill pill and get over the whole news thing. Sure its crap - but who cares? WIN News is all you need to know about Canberra - sure its boring, but thats what Canberra is. They are local and do try - unlike SC10 and Prime.

#3 datvman

datvman

AV Forum Member

• 3,185 posts

Posted 30 August 2004 - 08:08 PM

sure its boring, but thats what Canberra is.

hahahahaha thats the first local canberrian that i know of who will admit that

#4 Star

Star

AV Forum Member

• Pip
  • 120 posts

Posted 30 August 2004 - 08:21 PM

It is! My god what do you expect WIN to come up with, its so boring the Chronicle's front page a while back ' GIRL LOST RING ' . About some stupid young girl who lost her ring and wants it back. Like seriously!

WIN news have been very active in supporting the local community - they have come to lots of different events that I have been at.

hahahahaha thats the first local canberrian that i know of who will admit that

Ohh yeah the Gallery is just so enticing, the shopping is just so cheap and great variety, the schools are so well funded, the pay parking thats now everywhere (thanks labour!!), god Canberra is boring! Its just aimed at older people who get off on to many clothes shops and cafe's that make coffee so weak and milky its not funny.

#5 Latham4PM

Latham4PM

AV Forum Member

• 44 posts

Posted 30 August 2004 - 08:35 PM

Star, your reference to the Chronicle article is just what win are about.

What I expect from a commerical station in a "national capital" of all places, is one that PRIORITISES news into relevant local events, mixed with important national and global news, not 30 minutes of sh*t about lost dogs, lost rings and blocked storm water drains, followed by intense full on focus on some other place hours away that most Canberrans could not care about.

Cast your mind back to the old 10News Canberra had and think what was lost.

Seriously I cannot imagine people in Brisbane, Melb or anywhere else copping this if it was thrust on them.

#6 datvman

datvman

AV Forum Member

• 3,185 posts

Posted 30 August 2004 - 08:38 PM

It is! My god what do you expect WIN to come up with, its so boring the Chronicle's front page a while back ' GIRL LOST RING ' . About some stupid young girl who lost her ring and wants it back. Like seriously!

:blink: stop it, stop it :P ya making my nose hurt!!

but i was watching tv up at the snow (well, jindabyne) and all the adds were for fadden?. I think we stopped at dickson shops for dinner (its the place where theres a subway next to a kfs, thats across the road from maccas, which woolies lies next to). It was up the road from the ABC.

Hey, don't feel bad, MiX106.3FM is a good radio station, better than all the rest in area (2XL, Snow FM, Eagle, 2GN)

#7 Star

Star

AV Forum Member

• Pip
  • 120 posts

Posted 30 August 2004 - 08:45 PM

Cast your mind back to the old 10News Canberra had and think what was lost.

To be honest, I can not remember a second of SC10 news - I just remember when it stopped and the news for Sydney came on and Im wondering.. Wher did my news go! Then I read in the paper they had sacked their news crew for Sydney.

I think we stopped at dickson shops for dinner (its the place where theres a subway next to a kfs, thats across the road from maccas, which woolies lies next to).

I know exactly where you mean, the area, but where did you actually have dinner?

Hey, don't feel bad, MiX106.3FM is a good radio station

Yes its not bad, Im getting crusty as my kids say, I like to listen to Stan Zemanek and Sharina on 2UE (2CC Canb.)

not 30 minutes of sh*t about lost dogs, lost rings and blocked storm water drains, followed by intense full on focus on some other place hours away that most Canberrans could not care about.

I just take it with good humor, its not like they are filming on 1080i HD or something - crappy equipment and crappy news.

#8 Latham4PM

Latham4PM

AV Forum Member

• 44 posts

Posted 30 August 2004 - 08:52 PM

How long you lived in Canberra Star?

If you were there for any length of time pre end-2001, you'd have to remember the 10 Capital News, it was easily the best and highest rating commerical news for many many years before it's demise.

#9 datvman

datvman

AV Forum Member

• 3,185 posts

Posted 30 August 2004 - 08:55 PM

I know exactly where you mean, the area, but where did you actually have dinner?

subway :blink:

but i still can't see how u can listen to stan on 1206AM 2CC. He used to be on 2GF before Super Radio bought it out. Couldn't stand him. but, thats just me. I'm watching a replay of the CC, in WS

#10 Star

Star

AV Forum Member

• Pip
  • 120 posts

Posted 30 August 2004 - 09:20 PM

I'm watching a replay of the CC, in WS

I am to - mmm WS SD... Im guessing it was shot at 1080i by NBC, bobbed down to 576p50 for 7, then interlaced to 576i50 for Prime... So yer it is a little jagged in places - still looks wonderful!

#11 kenneth

kenneth

AV Forum Member

• 4,173 posts

Posted 30 August 2004 - 11:39 PM

It is!  My god what do you expect WIN to come up with, its so boring the Chronicle's front page a while back  ' GIRL LOST RING ' .  About some stupid young girl who lost her ring and wants it back.  Like seriously!

:blink: stop it, stop it :P ya making my nose hurt!!

but i was watching tv up at the snow (well, jindabyne) and all the adds were for fadden?. I think we stopped at dickson shops for dinner (its the place where theres a subway next to a kfs, thats across the road from maccas, which woolies lies next to). It was up the road from the ABC.

Hey, don't feel bad, MiX106.3FM is a good radio station, better than all the rest in area (2XL, Snow FM, Eagle, 2GN)

Ad's for Fadden. Strange as I haven't ever seen any for the shops (or lack of) in my suburb. In fact, we only have medical/beauty related shops now days (1 chriopactor, 1 vet and 1 doctor. Also 1 hairdresser/beauty salon).

#12 datvman

datvman

AV Forum Member

• 3,185 posts

Posted 31 August 2004 - 08:31 PM

i think it was fadden, its a suburb near the monaro highway, near the airport as you come into canberra from cooma

#13 kenneth

kenneth

AV Forum Member

• 4,173 posts

Posted 31 August 2004 - 10:05 PM

i think it was fadden, its a suburb near the monaro highway, near the airport as you come into canberra from cooma

Fadden is near the Cooma side of the ACT (just go past Chisholm and Macarthur and you will be in Fadden.

It is not near the airport (15-30 minute drive)

#14 datvman

datvman

AV Forum Member

• 3,185 posts

Posted 01 September 2004 - 03:25 PM

sorry, i remember the suburb now, it was fyshwick. I just remember my phone saying "fadden".

#15 mddawson

mddawson

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,234 posts

Posted 01 September 2004 - 04:06 PM

A lot of people think Canberra is boring but I wouldn't want to live anywhere else. Whenever people say this I think of an old Chinese curse "May you live in interesting times".

Clean air, plenty of space, low crime levels, close to the mountains, little poverty, etc - all things that allow us to have what the majority of people around the world wish to have, a quiet peaceful life. I feel really lucky to live here.

#16 Moasaica

Moasaica

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,627 posts

Posted 01 September 2004 - 07:04 PM

A lot of people think Canberra is boring but I wouldn't want to live anywhere else.  Whenever people say this I think of an old Chinese curse "May you live in interesting times".

Clean air, plenty of space, low crime levels, close to the mountains, little poverty, etc - all things that allow us to have what the majority of people around the world wish to have, a quite peaceful life.  I feel really lucky to live here.

I have to agree. Friends of mine used to live in Canberra years ago and I often visited the city because of that. From my visits to Canberra, it is a nice city and I often wished that I live here. :P As my name suggests, I live near Campbelltown in South-Western Sydney, which is just 2 to 2 1/2 hours freeway drive from Canberra.

I agree. It is a good station to listen to while I'm in Canberra, along with FM104.7 and 1053 2CA. You could even listen to MIX 106.3 and FM104.7 Live Streaming on the Internet.

You can only get decent news on the ABC in Canberra.

From what I heard, ABC News is mainly a national/international bulletin, with just a couple of ACT stories in a particular night. But at least they put the local news element with the national/international news element together unlike WIN (or should I say LOSE, should I :blink: ) who has 30 minutes of local news, followed by 30 minutes of National Nine News from Sydney. But still, WIN has more local news coverage than ABC when you consider it.

#17 datvman

datvman

AV Forum Member

• 3,185 posts

Posted 01 September 2004 - 07:58 PM

I agree. It is a good station to listen to while I'm in Canberra, along with FM104.7 and 1053 2CA. You could even listen to MIX 106.3 and FM104.7 Live Streaming on the Internet.

where is this???

#18 kenneth

kenneth

AV Forum Member

• 4,173 posts

Posted 01 September 2004 - 08:10 PM

where is this???

www.fm1047.com.au
www.mix106.com.au (which still has the old Mix logo even though there is a new mix logo avalible for Canberra).

#19 Bright Devil

Bright Devil

AV Forum Member

• Pip
  • 113 posts

Posted 06 September 2004 - 11:22 AM

And don't bother trying to tell me that "win/LOSE do a local news!" Their's is cheapskate and amateurish and wouldn't be worthy of a passing grade in a university TV production course, let alone masquerading as a major broadcast network. You couldn't pay me to watch it.

Latham 4pm - If SC10's News was as truly wonderful and had such terrific ratings as you continually spout, why the hell is it not still on the air?..........

Surely if it actually WAS the highest rating Canberra News service, Sthn Cross/Capital would not have taken it off the air.....where is the financial sense in that?

Maybe back in the pre-Aggregation days when it had no commercial competition, I guess you could say that it was the highest rating commercial news service in Canberra. But those days are long gone.........

Could it possibly be that despite what Latham 4pm keeps posting about how good the Sthn Cross/Capital News supposedly was (& I don't remember anyone here agreeing as yet....), it in fact took a ratings beating from WIN's News & people voted with their remote controls (so clearly against Latham 4pm's comments), so Sthn Cross/Capital made a financially-based decision & took it off the air to instead show multiple repeats of a U.S. based cartoon show about a disfunctional American family.

What an insult to our Australian capital!..........

Perhaps Latham 4pm should direct his vitriol to Sthn Cross for giving up so easily in the face of some competition that he claims is so utterly terrible.....and we haven't even talked about Prime giving up as well!.....

At least WIN has stuck it out with a LOCAL News service about a region that even Canberrians like "Star" agree is a tad boring.....

Could it be that Latham 4pm's rantings about WIN could be due to some vengeance thing.....has he some major axe to grind with WIN. Did they turn you down on a job or something?......

Surely you're ravings cannot be based soley on what you think is going on in Canberra from your ivory tower so far away in Brisbane?

Hey, it must be hard to type whith that great big chip on your shoulder......

#20 Latham4PM

Latham4PM

AV Forum Member

• 44 posts

Posted 06 September 2004 - 06:40 PM

Bright Devil, I've made my points at the top of this post and elsewhere in the ACT forum. I'll try to avoid repetition.

I lived in Canberra for 17 years, a time frame from when Capital was the only station in town and of course when Prime and win started out. From the mid to late 80's, Capital had the only decent commercial news presentation and nothing had changed up till late 2001. The only notable changes were the axing of a mediocre win-news clone (prime, not missed by myself) and SC10's news.

It was the return of the ACT edition of ABC news that compromised 10's ratings. I do not pretend that 10 had a 100% of the viewing audience, they did gradually concede ground over the years but they were on par with win when they finished up, both getting around 8 and 9 % of the total ACT pop. watching. Prime were getting 3%, so not in the race. Their decision was fair enough. It rated about 2 or 3 letters to the Canberra Times editor whereas 10's news cancellation had a stream of protest letters for 2 weeks after. Tell me which station Canberra preferred.

Southern Cross are a Melb based company, the decisions were made strictly on an accounting viewpoint to please shareholders and divert more money into digital TV. The opinions of Canberrans and Nth QLD'ers would have been the last thing on their minds when they took the axe to those news shows. I may be thinking a little differently to a lot of others here in a "digital TV" forum but it seems to me to be an expensive waste of $$$$, for what is often not delivering on it's promises, if this forum is an accurate guide.

no, I did not get a job application rejected by win. My only axe to grind with them and prime and from Nov 2001, SC10 is none of them could be bothered to put on a decent news applicable to Canberrans. I reckon people are creatures of habit, watching 10 news was the thing I did at 6pm every night, if I was in front of a TV, my choices may be somewhat discriminating but from Nov 2001, I felt I had no choice on offer (except for ABC). OK?

Put in this way, I like to drive Holdens, as an example. That means when it's time to trade cars, I'm not going to want to hear from a Toyota or Daewoo dealer.

Don't worry, I did fire in a protest letter to SC and the ABA.

#21 datvman

datvman

AV Forum Member

• 3,185 posts

Posted 06 September 2004 - 07:38 PM

do you find that the brisbane news (2, 7, 9 and 10) is sufficiant to the needs of brisbane locals. With all the country people ive spoken to, they would rather watch sydney news, than see a country reporter say "a local fadden man today bought a pack of cigerettes when watching the local football team". i take it you think the exact opposite

#22 Bright Devil

Bright Devil

AV Forum Member

• Pip
  • 113 posts

Posted 07 September 2004 - 01:17 PM

Finally a well thought out posting!.....congrats to you Latham 4pm.

I have been an observer of these Forums for around 18 months, but have never felt compelled to register, preferring instead to watch & listen, than to spout.

Those with other 1,000 postings to their credit, must surely be missing something in their lives. Afterall, we are born with TWO ears, but only ONE mouth.

Well thought out and factually correct postings are to be encouraged, rather than aggressive & emotional B.S.

Even more annoying is the increasing use of "name calling" by some scribes in a feeble attempt to support their argument. This name calling removes all credibility of the posting. If the posting cannot stand on it's own merit, think before submitting.

Typical name calling is Latham 4pm's (& others) use of terms like "win/LOSE" & "LOSE-TV". Guys (& gals?) this is schoolyard stuff....nah nah nah nah nah.

Name calling infers to me that there is some hidden agenda or perhaps a major axe to grind.

Another scribe who regularly resorts to this tactic is "Darklord".
(His postings are so amusing, I thought I'd register as his opposite.)

He obviously knows a bit about Home Theatre (not sure about commercial FTA TV however), but he loves to resort to the name calling & insults to round off his postings. Once again, there goes the credibility.

To finish, I have to ask how Latham 4pm can so strongly believe that a combined Local/National/International News bulletin like NBN's can be better than a local only service like WIN's?

I would MUCH rather see a LOCAL News service seperate to a National/International bulletin (like what WIN do) instead of the combined Local/National/International bulletin that NBN attempt.

How can you comfortably balance & with any semblance of integrity, respect & responsibility to your local viewer, correctly place a story about asbestos in a Coolangatta primary school against the Russion school hostage drama???

And how about the local Gold Coast Footy Final against the Olympics? (Although the 3x3x3 rule helped them out there!)

Due to my work, I regularly see both NBN's cut & paste Gold Coast News (with a couple of local stories cut via automation into the first or second segment story mix - & it doesn't always work to well) and WIN's purely Canberra News.

The WIN Canberra News has stories about local (perhaps boring) Canberra issues. Not much you can do with a public servant flooded city, but at least the local issues are given a fair hearing and respectable placement.

In fact, having seperate Local & National/International bulletins is something that the State Capitals could surely do with. A case where the regionals are actually better off?......

#23 steveb

steveb

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPip
  • 500 posts

Posted 07 September 2004 - 02:32 PM

Bright Devil=WIN employee?????

Odds are running at 2 to 1 on. Any takers?

You ask for no name calling then call our news 'Cut and paste". Do you have an axe to grind Mr. Devil?

And yes I think our NBN News Service is much better than seperate half hour bulletins, but thats my opinion.

SteveB

#24 kenneth

kenneth

AV Forum Member

• 4,173 posts

Posted 07 September 2004 - 02:37 PM

Bright Devil=WIN employee?????

Odds are running at 2 to 1 on. Any takers?

SteveB
(and yes I think our NBN News Service is much better than seperate half hour bulletins, but thats my opinion.)

I smell a mole (and it's not Steve :blink:.

And Steve B, I think that the 1 hour local/international/national news format is better as well.

@Bright Devil. We call Win "Lose" or "Lose TV" because untill recently they were well behind the other stations in the way of Digital Technology.

And Win still doesn't have 16:9 news (let alone all the promo's from nine being widescreen).

#25 Latham4PM

Latham4PM

AV Forum Member

• 44 posts

Posted 07 September 2004 - 03:38 PM

Datvman, I think the news we see in Brisbane is exactly what ought to be seen on Brisbane TV. Relevant news for Brisbane people, plus national and international events. My choices are 10 (those 2 weather chicks Georgie Lewis + Chloe Baker are so HOT!) + the ABC's new at 7pm. As a general gripe, the commerical stations have a little too much on infotainment garbage (as is the case everywhere). But they all serve Brisbane well.

That's what should be happening in a place that calls itself the "national capital". Once upon a time 1 out of 3 stations did, now it's none out of 3.

BrightDevil, we can agree to disagree, that's your perogative. But I would not cop 20 minutes out of 30 minutes being totally boring, uninteresting and non-eventful, then watching another 30 minutes where roughly half the news is of little interest to Canberra. If you chop out all the boring stuff that even most of Canberran's don't give a rats about, then eliminate all the irrlevent local Sydney content, you'd have a decent, worthwhile 30 min news (could even choose to make it 1 hour) Why do Canberra's viewers need to see more of Bob Carr and little of John Stanhope? no one in the ACT gets to choose to vote for or against Carr.

BrightDevil, it's about prioritising, of course the Russian seige ought to get headline billing, ahead of an asbestos case in the local area. But you can't tell me that some trivial fete opening by an ACT MLA ought to be presented ahead of federal elections and overseas war/terror tensions. But that's what happens when the win-news model is used. There is room for all categories of news, local, national and global, prioritising is the key, not a mammoth overdose of inconsequential local events. Put it this way, with no summer sporting teams in any national comps from Canberra, what on earth are win going to talk about for their sports reports?

Do I have an axe to grind about it? Yes, guilty as charged, flame me if you must, it won't alter my opinion. I see others agree with me too.