Andy the Antenna Boy

http://www.dtvforum....showtopic=87827

#2 dlark

dlark

AV Forum Member

• 5 posts

Posted 04 May 2010 - 10:01 PM

HI

Just bought a new HD receiver and it is showing low signal strength on the Conder translator for Prime, the old HD receiver was fine as are the other two in the house. Anyone having similar issues? Anyone know the channel numbers for Conder or should I just reset the antenna on Tuggeranong?

regards
Derek

#3 charlesc

charlesc

AV Forum Member

• 2,613 posts

Posted 05 May 2010 - 06:52 AM

Just bought a new HD receiver and it is showing low signal strength on the Conder translator for Prime, the old HD receiver was fine as are the other two in the house.

You don't mention if you are actually having any problems with reception on the new unit.

The in-built strength/quality displays on receivers are generally fairly basic, and not that accurate. It may just be that the new unit 'measures' differently to the others.
Different digital receivers also perform differently. One may work on the signal, another may give problems.

#4 CWulf

CWulf

AV Forum Member

• PipPip
  • 193 posts

Posted 05 May 2010 - 09:02 PM

HI

Just bought a new HD receiver and it is showing low signal strength on the Conder translator for Prime, the old HD receiver was fine as are the other two in the house. Anyone having similar issues? Anyone know the channel numbers for Conder or should I just reset the antenna on Tuggeranong?

regards
Derek

The Conder services are analog only and have no digital transmissions. They are designed to cover a few streets shadowed by Tuggeranong Hill.

#5 dlark

dlark

AV Forum Member

• 5 posts

Posted 06 May 2010 - 02:26 PM

You don't mention if you are actually having any problems with reception on the new unit.

The in-built strength/quality displays on receivers are generally fairly basic, and not that accurate. It may just be that the new unit 'measures' differently to the others.
Different digital receivers also perform differently. One may work on the signal, another may give problems.

#6 dlark

dlark

AV Forum Member

• 5 posts

Posted 06 May 2010 - 02:29 PM

Hi and many thanks

Yes it is a Toshiba and it shows a low signal strength message in a huge box across the bottom of the screen as well as picture break up. I have now checked where the antenna points and I am actually looking at Tuggeranong Hill (which is behind Conder hence the confusion) so should be tuning the right channels.

#7 gadget

gadget

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPipPip
  • 980 posts

Posted 06 May 2010 - 07:08 PM

The Conder services are analog only and have no digital transmissions. They are designed to cover a few streets shadowed by Tuggeranong Hill.

You are referring to the Translator for Eaglemont retreat, I don't believe this is the Translator dlark is referring to.

#8 gadget

gadget

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPipPip
  • 980 posts

Posted 06 May 2010 - 07:11 PM

Hi and many thanks

Yes it is a Toshiba and it shows a low signal strength message in a huge box across the bottom of the screen as well as picture break up. I have now checked where the antenna points and I am actually looking at Tuggeranong Hill (which is behind Conder hence the confusion) so should be tuning the right channels.

Did you do an auto scan or a manual?
Many times an auto scan will pickup Telstra Tower before Tugg Hill, if you haven"t done a manual scan perform a factory reset or default reset , rescan for the following channels manually. 57, 59, 62, 65, 68. See if that makes a difference.
Gadget

#9 dlark

dlark

AV Forum Member

• 5 posts

Posted 07 May 2010 - 03:42 PM

Hi

Many thanks, I will check which ones it picked out and do a manual tune to make sure I get the right ones!

I live at Gordon with line of site to the transmitter so should be overwhelmed with signal when I get the right channels installed!! As an old comms tech I am very happy with valve technology :rolleyes:

Another project for the weekend.

regards

#10 dlark

dlark

AV Forum Member

• 5 posts

Posted 10 May 2010 - 08:53 AM

Hi

Reset the receiver and allowed it to do an auto tune and it found the correct channels this time. Not sure what I did wrong last time but all fixed. Many thanks to all that assisted.

regards
Derek