• Please log in to reply
181 replies to this topic

#51 aafuss

aafuss

AV Forums Member

• PipPipPip
  • 267 posts

Posted 02 March 2010 - 12:25 PM

Even on Austar the Olympic channels were still up as of this morning-has Foxtel removed the channels yet?.

#52 rhysxanthis

rhysxanthis

AV Forums Member

• PipPipPip
  • 434 posts

Posted 02 March 2010 - 12:59 PM

Even on Austar the Olympic channels were still up as of this morning-has Foxtel removed the channels yet?.

The channels themselves won't disappear until March 4th iirc.

#53 davmel

davmel

AV Forums Member

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,485 posts

Posted 02 March 2010 - 01:03 PM

As stated numerous times, Foxtel will be showing a repeat of every medal event throughout the games from now till the early hours of Thursday morning. Obviously for that to happen Foxtel can't remove the channels!

#54 laurie

laurie

AV Forums Member

• 6,443 posts

Posted 02 March 2010 - 01:59 PM

They have to do something with that limited 350MB drive in the IQ2 when you have events like this especially with 4 channels in HD!

cheers laurie

#55 davmel

davmel

AV Forums Member

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,485 posts

Posted 02 March 2010 - 02:08 PM

They have to do something with that limited 350MB drive in the IQ2 when you have events like this especially with 4 channels in HD!

Agreed, I filled up a 1.5TB hard drive with HD recordings of most of the events from the games so a 320GB drive where only half is available to user recordings is far from adequate.
The software feature to enable external hard drives on the IQ2 should have been released by now.

#56 johnjet

johnjet

AV Forums Member

• PipPip
  • 206 posts

Posted 02 March 2010 - 05:58 PM

I had to call Foxtel about a hard drive fault and just as I was about to hang up the man in customer service asked me if I was interested in getting the remainder of the Olympics coverage. All for the bargin price of $12.95.

God you just have to love Foxtel.

#57 BigVic

BigVic

AV Forums Member

• Pip
  • 115 posts

Posted 11 February 2012 - 05:21 PM

Looking forward to London 2012 with 8 channels- how can I watch them all as I am spoilt with choice during the Games.

#58 justin25

justin25

AV Forums Member

• PipPipPipPip
  • 816 posts

Posted 11 February 2012 - 05:59 PM

have they announced the pricing yet what was the pricing in pervious years

#59 wheelz

wheelz

AV Forums Member

• 4,270 posts

Posted 11 February 2012 - 06:50 PM

have they announced the pricing yet what was the pricing in pervious years

IIRC it was $50 early bird and $80 if you booked it later.

#60 BigVic

BigVic

AV Forums Member

• Pip
  • 115 posts

Posted 11 February 2012 - 07:13 PM

IIRC it was $50 early bird and $80 if you booked it later.

$50 for 8 channels...early bird price for the best Games coverage ever, the best money I am going to spend. I recall Vancouver was $50 and London will be the same. Will the coverage entirely be in HD and hope someone renames this thread "London 2012 on FOXTEL".

So excited for the games and once the games is over, can I view my recordings over and over again?

#61 laurie

laurie

AV Forums Member

• 6,443 posts

Posted 12 February 2012 - 03:06 PM

Some got it free of charge

cheers laurie

#62 johnjet

johnjet

AV Forums Member

• PipPip
  • 206 posts

Posted 13 February 2012 - 11:18 AM

From my email query to Foxtel they advised me that details of price will be released in April because quote "They are still working out the pricing structure".

#63 BribieG

BribieG

AV Forums Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,865 posts

Posted 09 March 2012 - 10:47 AM

I've just "preregistered" on their site but no reply as yet. I don't have any sports package - just basic, docos, a movie package and HD. I take it that I can get the Olympics without having a pre-existing sports package, just pay a one -off and get the 8 HD channels as a stand alone temporary package for the duration of the broadcasting?

I don't follow sports except for Olympics, sometimes the Commonwealths and SWMBO gets into tennis now and again, but heaps of that on FTA. So if I can get the Olympics as a one-off, then that would be les nuts du duck. ;)

#64 davmel

davmel

AV Forums Member

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,485 posts

Posted 16 March 2012 - 05:30 PM

Just noticed in the latest Foxtel TDT manual that Foxtel has reserved two new transponders on the Optus D3 sat for the upcoming London Olympics:
11886V @ 27800kBps symbol rate (obviously for the 8 SD olympics channels plus one more channel they'll almost certainly have for the mosaic tile channel)
11969V @ 29455kBps symbol rate (for 8 HD olympics channels).

Neither of those transponders have any active DVB transmission as yet.

All I can say is that squeezing 8 HD sports channels (with rapid motion) on a single transponder is going to look F*CKING AWFUL. High definition my ass. Look at how much people have been complaining about the quality with 7 HD channels per transponder, now Foxtel will push an all new low in HD quality.
Good luck to all you suckers that will pay a good deal of money only to be served up with pseudo HD olympics coverage!

#65 Sambo90

Sambo90

AV Forums Member

• PipPipPipPip
  • 844 posts

Posted 17 March 2012 - 06:13 PM

I know this is a negative statement, but it would still look better than GEM. Nothing where it should look though.

#66 Junkyard

Junkyard

AV Forums Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,710 posts

Posted 17 March 2012 - 06:50 PM

I know this is a negative statement, but it would still look better than GEM. Nothing where it should look though.

GEM will look better, 6mbps mpeg4 will look very soft. 13mbps mpeg2 will look much sharper

#67 doodlefeatures

doodlefeatures

AV Forums Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,510 posts

Posted 17 March 2012 - 06:55 PM

The main thing is Fox will be showing sport, 9/Gem will be showing 'human interest' fluff

#68 Aussiedude

Aussiedude

AV Forums Member

• PipPip
  • 183 posts

Posted 22 March 2012 - 11:09 AM

Wow im shocked its going to be free for all sports subscribers

http://www.foxtel.co...o-sp-164180.htm

they could of made a lot of cash on this, unless the new Fox Footy was a bigger hit than they expected with new subscribers.

lol does not apply to Foxtel on Xbox or Tbox (that's because they are not even real foxtel)

#69 BigVic

BigVic

AV Forums Member

• Pip
  • 115 posts

Posted 22 March 2012 - 11:35 AM

LOL Will Austar customers be shafted again.

I am just shocked!! Thought it will be at a cost ($70), thank god I do not have to watch the horrible FTA coverage on Channel 9.

#70 peterca

peterca

AV Forums Member

• PipPipPipPip
  • 967 posts

Posted 22 March 2012 - 11:49 AM

Good luck to all you suckers that will pay a good deal of money only to be served up with pseudo HD olympics coverage!

Us suckers don't have to pay a thing, looking forward to the Olympics in HD.

#71 wheelz

wheelz

AV Forums Member

• 4,270 posts

Posted 22 March 2012 - 01:42 PM

Nice one fox.

#72 DansDans

DansDans

AV Forums Member

• 2,712 posts

Posted 22 March 2012 - 02:25 PM

I'm pretty sure us suckers have to pay something...

#73 davidhes

davidhes

AV Forums Member

• PipPipPip
  • 256 posts

Posted 22 March 2012 - 03:08 PM

Wow I'm amazed by this, I was ready to hand over $50 for the games. Thanks foxtel for a change! Can't wait!

#74 miata

miata

AV Forums Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,623 posts

Posted 22 March 2012 - 04:41 PM

Certified member of the happy suckers club here too! Now performing gentle, seated Happy Dance! :sorcerer:

#75 blairy

blairy

AV Forums Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,846 posts

Posted 22 March 2012 - 04:54 PM

And if teh Austar merger goes ahead Austar customers will get Olympics free as well.

http://www.theaustra...6-1226307099789

blairy