8 replies to this topic

#1 der

der

AV Forum Member

• Pip
  • 80 posts

Posted 14 January 2010 - 10:54 PM

Hi,
Can anyone tell me whether it is possible to play a file transferred out of an LG MS408D on a PC?
And is it possible to burn the file onto a DVD once you've transferred it onto a PC?
Was set to buy a MS480D tonight but was told by the salesperson at HN that I could do none of the above without special converter software, which has sync and other issues.
He said the file recorded by the 480D is encrypted and can only be played back on a 480D - is that true?

I've been using a dual DVB tuner card to record digital FTA on my computer for a few years now but it can be unreliable and I'm sick of burning stuff onto DVD so I can watch a recorded show on my tv set.

Would like to have the ability to watch a file recorded on a freestanding PVR on my PC (have wireless etc) and also be able to burn it easily onto a DVD that can be read by any standard DVD player.
Is there a PVR on the market that will do that?

I've been told so many contradictory things by salespeople that I'm very confused.
Was also considering a non-Freeview branded Beyonwiz DP2 but was told it is encrypted too.

Any advice would be appreciated.

d.

#2 diesel

diesel

AV Forum Member

• 13,787 posts

Posted 15 January 2010 - 06:22 AM

Can anyone tell me whether it is possible to play a file transferred out of an LG MS408D on a PC?
...He said the file recorded by the 480D is encrypted and can only be played back on a 480D - is that true?

According to this CNET review, the files aren't encrypted, they are recorded as .TS format so should be easy to shift and edit and burn on a PC

That aside, the LG MS409D works its DVR magic only from the free-to-air EPG. It lacks Freeview certification, but that gives it a ton of flexibility in terms of where you can move your recorded files around. Want to copy them off to the 3.5-inch caddy? You can. Want to copy them to a USB drive? You can. Want to copy them via connected Ethernet cable? You can. Want to copy them out via the included 802.11b/g/n wireless dongle? You get the idea. The one caveat here is that files are recorded in the very data intensive TS format, so you'll need a fair bit of shifting space.

Would like to have the ability to watch a file recorded on a freestanding PVR on my PC (have wireless etc) and also be able to burn it easily onto a DVD that can be read by any standard DVD player.
Is there a PVR on the market that will do that?
I've been told so many contradictory things by salespeople that I'm very confused.
Was also considering a non-Freeview branded Beyonwiz DP2 but was told it is encrypted too.

Beyonwiz PVRs record in a proprietory format called .tvwiz. Essentially it's a FAT32 systems where by the BWs breakup the recordings into 32MB files so it makes it easier to navigate/edit recordings. You can transfer to PC for burning to DVD either from the Beyonwiz PVR GUI or via the PC freeware they provide - WizFX. WizFX gives you the option tpo transfer as .tvwiz (eg for better navigation of archived shows to a PC or NAS) or it will combine the files into one .TS file on-the-fly. The .TS file is much easier and more compatible with editing/burning software available. As far as burning to DVD, Nero, projectX, convertXtoDVD seem to be pretty popular and the one I use is VideoReDo TV Suite - very easy and all in one.

As far as leaving the file on the PVR and streaming to your PC to watch it, I am not sure there are any PVRs or utilities that provide this option. AFAIK, you would first have to transfer to a NAS or PC and then be able to play back the .TS file.

#3 pgdownload

pgdownload

AV Forum Member

• 11,716 posts

Posted 15 January 2010 - 07:34 AM

Was set to buy a MS480D tonight but was told by the salesperson at HN that I could do none of the above without special converter software

He said the file recorded by the 480D is encrypted and can only be played back on a 480D - is that true?

So which is it? There's convertor software? or there's not? I'd say such contradictory statements suggest your salesman is more interested in selling particular models than conveying useful information. :)

Have you considered investing in a media player. Something like the Western Digital Live 2 or the popcorn hour? Under $200. They will play your PC saved files without the need to burn / convert anything to DVD. Added benefit is you can download AVI / MKV files from the internet and watch some content that way

Alternatively you can get a PVR for recording FTA TV but also keep the PC tuner cards at work. How much stuff do you actually want to burn permanently? If say 90% is stuff you just want to watch and delete with a small amout to save then set your PC card to record that stuff to save any transfering around.

Many PVRs have the capacity to transfer to a PC (although almost none any that are "Feeview" branded). The Beyonwiz P2 is one of the better ones. Very straight forward to download and play/edit/burn stufff on a PC.

Do you have the ability to run an ethernet cable from your PC to the TV? Or do you have a wireless network at home?

Have a read of the What HD PVR for you sticky as it details ability to transfer files for several models of PVR

FWIW possibly the best Video software for editing PVR stuff in general is VideoRedo TV Suite. Version 4 just came out and it has a free trial if you want to have a look. It handles many PVR formats without needing any preconverting.

An alternative if you like burning quite a lot of DVDs is to get a PVR with a DVD burner built in. Currently this would be the Panasonic 350 which is very capable and you just edit stuff on the PVR and burn it to the built in DVDR. Store cost about $750.

If you can get a network connection to the TV you could also consider the Tivo which is very user friendly and has a Home Network Package that makes burning its files quite simple. $600 or so.

Anyway lots of information there. Read it a few times :) You'll find quite a few posters can give you some good help once you narrow down what you're look for.

Regards

Peter Gillespie

#4 PCKid

PCKid

AV Forum Member

• Pip
  • 99 posts

Posted 15 January 2010 - 06:26 PM

So which is it? There's convertor software? or there's not? I'd say such contradictory statements suggest your salesman is more interested in selling particular models than conveying useful information. :)

Have you considered investing in a media player. Something like the Western Digital Live 2 or the popcorn hour? Under $200. They will play your PC saved files without the need to burn / convert anything to DVD. Added benefit is you can download AVI / MKV files from the internet and watch some content that way

Alternatively you can get a PVR for recording FTA TV but also keep the PC tuner cards at work. How much stuff do you actually want to burn permanently? If say 90% is stuff you just want to watch and delete with a small amout to save then set your PC card to record that stuff to save any transfering around.

Many PVRs have the capacity to transfer to a PC (although almost none any that are "Feeview" branded). The Beyonwiz P2 is one of the better ones. Very straight forward to download and play/edit/burn stufff on a PC.

Do you have the ability to run an ethernet cable from your PC to the TV? Or do you have a wireless network at home?

Have a read of the What HD PVR for you sticky as it details ability to transfer files for several models of PVR

FWIW possibly the best Video software for editing PVR stuff in general is VideoRedo TV Suite. Version 4 just came out and it has a free trial if you want to have a look. It handles many PVR formats without needing any preconverting.

An alternative if you like burning quite a lot of DVDs is to get a PVR with a DVD burner built in. Currently this would be the Panasonic 350 which is very capable and you just edit stuff on the PVR and burn it to the built in DVDR. Store cost about $750.

If you can get a network connection to the TV you could also consider the Tivo which is very user friendly and has a Home Network Package that makes burning its files quite simple. $600 or so.

Anyway lots of information there. Read it a few times :) You'll find quite a few posters can give you some good help once you narrow down what you're look for.

Regards

Peter Gillespie

It's annoying that there are Salesmen who, for whatever reason, say things like that. I've had them all Mediagate boxes (various), WD TV boxes Popcorn Hours and now the LG 408. So far this is the best and most versatile. I gave up on DVDs burnt or otherwise abut 6 years ago once all these sort of things came available. The format the 408 records in is ts and is not encrypted in any way. Sure they can be quite large but with 1.5TB drives for less than 160 bucks storage is no longer a problem.

#5 der

der

AV Forum Member

• Pip
  • 80 posts

Posted 15 January 2010 - 09:14 PM

Hey - thanks for the advice -I'll grab an LG 408 over the weekend.
I roll over the T.V news on the three commercial networks and the ABC every night on my pc for work purposes but it can be unreliable at times. Looking for something simple that my family can also operate now that we've ditched the 76cm CRT TV, with limited scart inputs for a big screen LCD.
Burning to DVD was the only way to watch recorded files on the CRT since the VHS died a few years back.
Have a wireless network so I'm looking to make better use of that also.
Just looking for something that's flexible and NOT freeview branded.
Appreciate your help.
Cheers, D.

#6 Robert E

Robert E

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPipPip
  • 677 posts

Posted 15 January 2010 - 09:28 PM

As far as leaving the file on the PVR and streaming to your PC to watch it, I am not sure there are any PVRs or utilities that provide this option. AFAIK, you would first have to transfer to a NAS or PC and then be able to play back the .TS file.

With my Topfield 7100 I can select a recording on the PVR and play it over a network connection on my PC with Mplayer.
I thought you could do this with the "kitchen appliance" PVRs as well but maybe I was mistaken. ;)

#7 diesel

diesel

AV Forum Member

• 13,787 posts

Posted 16 January 2010 - 08:37 AM

I thought you could do this with the "kitchen appliance" PVRs as well but maybe I was mistaken. ;)

Love the cheap shots. :lol:
The Beyonwiz will stream FTA recordings between Beyonwiz boxes eg record on Beyonwiz in lounge and watch it on the Beyonwiz in the bedroom, and you can stream files from a PC or NAS, unlike some PVRs which require the files to be transferred to the internal HDD of the PVR ;)

It seems with a bit of digging I found there is a PC mediaplayer that can play Wiz files natively - Wizplayer

#8 Robert E

Robert E

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPipPip
  • 677 posts

Posted 16 January 2010 - 08:45 AM

Love the cheap shots. :lol:

I thought you might :D
From when I first heard the name I've thought that I wouldn't be surprised if a customer walked into a Hardly Normal store and asked to be directed to where she could see a Beyonwiz that she would be directed to the kitchen appliance section. :o

All in good fun. :D

#9 diesel

diesel

AV Forum Member

• 13,787 posts

Posted 16 January 2010 - 08:47 AM

No worries... :P

What's the point of having a Forum where you can't have a bit of fun