Jtr Speakers - Official Thread

• Please log in to reply
516 replies to this topic

#26 Jeff Permanian

Jeff Permanian

AV Forum Member

• 10 posts

Posted 26 February 2010 - 01:46 AM

I took a whole heap of them with REW. My laptop is out with a friend so I didn't have a Mac nearby that I could use Fuzzmeasure on. However, I have faith that those measurements are accurate as that is pretty much what I heard too.

The main system is currently disconnected as I NEED the Denon 2310 upstairs. I really can't live without a good HT present in the house lol.

It should be pretty easy to EQ the bass hump out of the system I think as its always easier EQing down than up :) I think Jeff probably did give a bit of a boost, but my room did the rest as the half bay windows DO kind of focus all the sound inward.

JTR speakers are voiced flat in free air so all that additional midbass is from the room.

#27 Drizt

Drizt

AV Forum Member

• 5,930 posts

Posted 26 February 2010 - 05:14 AM

JTR speakers are voiced flat in free air so all that additional midbass is from the room.

Thanks Jeff.

Gior, would you mind taking some extreme nearfield measurements (put the mic say 15cms away from the driver your trying to measure. You might have to take a few measurements - one for each driver to get an accurate reading)to effectively remove the room (well sorta, it will give a better indication of what the speakers are doing by themselves).

#28 Gior

Gior

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,737 posts

Posted 26 February 2010 - 06:40 AM

Thanks Jeff.

Gior, would you mind taking some extreme nearfield measurements (put the mic say 15cms away from the driver your trying to measure. You might have to take a few measurements - one for each driver to get an accurate reading)to effectively remove the room (well sorta, it will give a better indication of what the speakers are doing by themselves).

Will do so once I get a preamp and my laptop back :) Would prefer to use Fuzzmeasure for it (I DID pay for Fuzzmeasure after all lol).

In the meantime anyone REALLY curious in Sydney (well in Australia if you want to fly into Sydney) with a spare preamp (or even just preouts) and a bit of time is welcome to swing round for some listening/testing in the meantime (provided you aren't a psychopath - but then again, with the MONOLITH I've come up with, you guys are probably wondering the same thing).

Actually, I might give Gregory from Clink a call. I know him well and he's been meaning to come down forever for the VAFs. I'll tell him that I've got something that'll be more interesting. I'm sure he has a spare preamp or two.

Edited by Gior, 26 February 2010 - 06:42 AM.

#29 Gior

Gior

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,737 posts

Posted 26 February 2010 - 06:51 AM

Just noticed, you are up to 5 posts - you can get Aussie pm's now :)

#30 Spearmint

Spearmint

AV Forum Member

• 4,265 posts

Posted 26 February 2010 - 07:20 AM

Thanks Jeff.

If you also measured your speakers the same way Drizt, then we could compare the two :winky:

#31 Drizt

Drizt

AV Forum Member

• 5,930 posts

Posted 26 February 2010 - 07:26 AM

If you also measured your speakers the same way Drizt, then we could compare the two :winky:

We could indeed. We could compare your too. That would be cool.

Heres mine... Taken with Behringer mic and preamp (which have since died - RIP)

1/3 smoothed

No smoothing

BLUE:
Mic approx. 15cm from right speaker (Only)
Mic pointed directly between tweeter and mid
-24.0 Integra Volume
REW input volume .250
REW sweep level -12dB
MIC PRE main mix (1 past centre)

GREEN:
Mic approx. 15cm from right speaker (Only)
Mic pointed directly at bass driver
-24.0 Integra Volume
REW input volume .250
REW sweep level -12dB
MIC PRE main mix (1 past centre)

Edited by Drizt, 26 February 2010 - 07:35 AM.

#32 Spearmint

Spearmint

AV Forum Member

• 4,265 posts

Posted 26 February 2010 - 07:33 AM

We could indeed. We could compare your too. That would be cool.

I don't bother measuring anything above the crossover of the subs. The Audyssey reports I take with a grain of salt; basically I use my ears as the benchmark. So far this hasn't let me down. :)

#33 Drizt

Drizt

AV Forum Member

• 5,930 posts

Posted 26 February 2010 - 07:37 AM

I don't bother measuring anything above the crossover of the subs. The Audyssey reports I take with a grain of salt; basically I use my ears as the benchmark. So far this hasn't let me down. :)

Id still like to see it mate if its not too much trouble.

If you don't want to see the full range close mic (say 15cm's away from driver) results, could you take some for just your bass response of the mains ?

#34 Spearmint

Spearmint

AV Forum Member

• 4,265 posts

Posted 26 February 2010 - 07:50 AM

Id still like to see it mate if its not too much trouble.

If you don't want to see the full range close mic (say 15cm's away from driver) results, could you take some for just your bass response of the mains ?

The issue for me Drizt is, when people are requesting this sort of detail it makes my haemorrhoids twitch. :)

#35 Drizt

Drizt

AV Forum Member

• 5,930 posts

Posted 26 February 2010 - 08:06 AM

The issue for me Drizt is, when people are requesting this sort of detail it makes my haemorrhoids twitch. :)

I hear there is a cream for that. Sounds nasty mate.

#36 nightbreed

nightbreed

AV Forum Member

• Commercial Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,213 posts

Posted 05 March 2010 - 05:16 PM

I'm pretty excited about now! I'm just about to transfer funds to Jeff for 3 x Triple 12HT's :D I was really considering some of Mark Seaton "catalysts" but the budget just would not stretch that far. No point having a cinema room with no projector ;)

#37 Drizt

Drizt

AV Forum Member

• 5,930 posts

Posted 05 March 2010 - 05:20 PM

I'm pretty excited about now! I'm just about to transfer funds to Jeff for 3 x Triple 12HT's :D I was really considering some of Mark Seaton "catalysts" but the budget just would not stretch that far. No point having a cinema room with no projector ;)

Awesome news. I hope you love them. Looking forward to reading your reports about them. Any ETA?

#38 Gior

Gior

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,737 posts

Posted 05 March 2010 - 06:28 PM

Oh man...why couldn't you be a Sydneysider??? I'd love to have a listen to the Triple 12HT's. I was gonna get them but the Quintuples just fit better in my room...

I might have to make a trip down to Melbourne one day and visit a few forum member's houses for equipment demo's - Blade and yourself are on the hitlist lol

#39 nightbreed

nightbreed

AV Forum Member

• Commercial Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,213 posts

Posted 05 March 2010 - 11:53 PM

Oh man...why couldn't you be a Sydneysider??? I'd love to have a listen to the Triple 12HT's. I was gonna get them but the Quintuples just fit better in my room...

I might have to make a trip down to Melbourne one day and visit a few forum member's houses for equipment demo's - Blade and yourself are on the hitlist lol

You are more than welcome to pop in for a listen. I just hope the Emotiva XPA-5 has enough juice to do the Trip 12's justice.

#40 Gior

Gior

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,737 posts

Posted 06 March 2010 - 12:20 AM

You are more than welcome to pop in for a listen. I just hope the Emotiva XPA-5 has enough juice to do the Trip 12's justice.

The XPA-5 is a beastly amp :) Your ears will most likely bleed before you run out of puff with that on the trip 12's as they are so damn efficient. I doubt you are ever gonna see the clip light come on with the XPA-5 unless your EQ is doing some crazy boosts on the trip 12's :)

Reference level here you come (and then leave well behind lol)

#41 SimonNo10

SimonNo10

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,445 posts

Posted 06 March 2010 - 08:42 AM

Hey Gior thought I would move our discussion from the Audyssey thread to here. Been reading allot about the Triple 8's and found this post over at AVS, he has had the same speakers (M&K S-5000) which I'm currently using as my front mains:

"I owned the s-150's, s-250's, 5000's(best) and the original triple 8's. I also owned the Klipsch THX ultra 2's. The triple 8's had the same tone as the 5000's but with some differences. Here is how I rank them.

JTR triple 8- loudest, most resolution, neutral, biggest sound
M&K S-5000- loud, high resolution, neutral, big sound, most palpable sound

For music I would rate it like this

JTR triple 8
M&K S-5000 a close second

They definatly have my interest and the direct internet pricing is nice.

#42 Drizt

Drizt

AV Forum Member

• 5,930 posts

Posted 06 March 2010 - 08:56 AM

I think if I was to look at these I'd go for the Quintuple as mains as they perhaps wouldn't need to go on a stand?. Then perhaps a Triple8HT for a centre :)

#43 Gior

Gior

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,737 posts

Posted 06 March 2010 - 09:03 AM

Hey Gior thought I would move our discussion from the Audyssey thread to here. Been reading allot about the Triple 8's and found this post over at AVS, he has had the same speakers (M&K S-5000) which I'm currently using as my front mains:

"I owned the s-150's, s-250's, 5000's(best) and the original triple 8's. I also owned the Klipsch THX ultra 2's. The triple 8's had the same tone as the 5000's but with some differences. Here is how I rank them.

JTR triple 8- loudest, most resolution, neutral, biggest sound
M&K S-5000- loud, high resolution, neutral, big sound, most palpable sound

For music I would rate it like this

JTR triple 8
M&K S-5000 a close second

They definatly have my interest and the direct internet pricing is nice.

Hehe, evidence to back up my recommendation (and I didn't write that one :)). I just KNOW you will like em. It's just 2 drivers less than my Quintuples and from my short listening session with them, it dawned on me that they could potentially replace my big VAF's...that's the highest recommendation that I could give as others have said, the VAFs are mighty speakers (just with a sucky in-room bass response in my BAD BAD room)

As you notice, MKtheater was writing about the ORIGINAL T8's. The new ones are SIGNIFICANTLY better :)

I just noticed that Internet Direct pricing. Looks like Jeff has been busy :)

#44 nightbreed

nightbreed

AV Forum Member

• Commercial Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,213 posts

Posted 06 March 2010 - 10:38 AM

Over on the AVS forum Jeff mentions buying Pro amps to run with the Trip 12's. Is there any reason to buy or not to buy something like this to drive the Trip 12's over the Emotiva XPA-5?

http://www.crestaudi...../Pro 8200.cfm

Edited by Jason V, 06 March 2010 - 11:04 AM.

#45 SimonNo10

SimonNo10

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,445 posts

Posted 06 March 2010 - 10:46 AM

I think I have the power covered with this:

http://images.google...=...&tbs=isch:1

#46 Gior

Gior

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,737 posts

Posted 06 March 2010 - 01:31 PM

I think I have the power covered with this:

http://images.google...=...&tbs=isch:1

I've got a soft spot for Krell :)

But my Cinenova puts out more power :P

#47 Gior

Gior

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,737 posts

Posted 06 March 2010 - 01:40 PM

Over on the AVS forum Jeff mentions buying Pro amps to run with the Trip 12's. Is there any reason to buy or not to buy something like this to drive the Trip 12's over the Emotiva XPA-5?

http://www.crestaudi...../Pro 8200.cfm

Well I can think of a few reasons

1) In a domestic sized room, you probably won't need anything more than the XPA-5. If we plug some numbers into say this calculator and see what a pair of T12's can do at 10 feet, we end up with silly numbers like 119db at listening position :) That's just a bit (understatement of the year here) over Reference levels and ref level is pretty damn loud already (I usually listen at 10dB below ref levels)

2) You already have the XPA-5 - save the money for a BIG SUB :)

3) Pro amps can be a pain in domestic situations as they often have different gains and the fans can get noisy. These issues can be easily addressed but domestic amps are just easier to use typically (bigger though)

But I agree, you can't go past pro amps for bang for your buck :) QSC is another pro brand you may want to check out. Avoid Behringer amps - build quality can vary :)

#48 nightbreed

nightbreed

AV Forum Member

• Commercial Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,213 posts

Posted 06 March 2010 - 01:51 PM

Well I can think of a few reasons

1) In a domestic sized room, you probably won't need anything more than the XPA-5. If we plug some numbers into say this calculator and see what a pair of T12's can do at 10 feet, we end up with silly numbers like 119db at listening position :) That's just a bit (understatement of the year here) over Reference levels and ref level is pretty damn loud already (I usually listen at 10dB below ref levels)

2) You already have the XPA-5 - save the money for a BIG SUB :)

3) Pro amps can be a pain in domestic situations as they often have different gains and the fans can get noisy. These issues can be easily addressed but domestic amps are just easier to use typically (bigger though)

But I agree, you can't go past pro amps for bang for your buck :) QSC is another pro brand you may want to check out. Avoid Behringer amps - build quality can vary :)

Yeah, you are right. I guess we all get taken in by the "big" numbers :P The BIG SUB is already taken care of. 4 x 15" Tempest-X in an IB setup :D

#49 Gior

Gior

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,737 posts

Posted 06 March 2010 - 01:58 PM

Yeah, you are right. I guess we all get taken in by the "big" numbers :P The BIG SUB is already taken care of. 4 x 15" Tempest-X in an IB setup :D

IB IB IB!!!

If you could put up a your 1-200hz sweeps (or that capture range anyway) at your listening position that would be great :) I'm AWFULLY curious on IB setups as I've heard a lot of good things :) If you are getting the ref level 115db peaks at a flat tune and have a flat response I'm gonna be VERY jealous...

#50 SimonNo10

SimonNo10

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,445 posts

Posted 06 March 2010 - 01:58 PM

But my Cinenova puts out more power

Quality over quantity :ninja: