• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 willwalk

willwalk

AV Forums Member

• PipPipPip
  • 450 posts

Posted 13 January 2010 - 08:05 PM

As the 2010 AFL season approaches, is southern cross Darwin likely to continue showing Ten network / DDT saturday afternoon and saturday night games together with seven's friday night and sunday afternoon's games as was the case last year? Would the upcoming pending ONE HD arrival in Darwin change all this? Or would southern cross drop it's saturday's coverage to DDT from 2010 onwards?

Edited by willwalk, 13 January 2010 - 08:07 PM.

#2 Smacca

Smacca

AV Forums Member

• PipPipPipPip
  • 874 posts

Posted 13 January 2010 - 08:56 PM

I doubt Southern Cross would be allowed to stop airing AFL for Darwin's analog viewers. It'll probably continue to like that until 2013.

#3 willwalk

willwalk

AV Forums Member

• PipPipPip
  • 450 posts

Posted 13 January 2010 - 10:00 PM

I doubt Southern Cross would be allowed to stop airing AFL for Darwin's analog viewers. It'll probably continue to like that until 2013.

i guess the same thing would apply to Southern cross central, showing Ten AFL matches on saturdays as well as Seven's AFL matches on Fridays and Sundays, so most likely Darwin will keep the same format as last year. Dunno about Tasmania though.

#4 Alista

Alista

AV Forums Member

• PipPipPipPip
  • 686 posts

Posted 14 January 2010 - 09:05 AM

I don't think it matters actually since DDT/TDT have main SD channels. I thought the same thing last year but it turns out that even though they're digital only, they are treated as if the have an analog channel. So that that means SC doesn't have to broadcast the games at all, it's more a matter of making money than any legal requirement.

Dunno about Tasmania though.

No me either... I might start a new thread in the Tassie forum.

#5 willwalk

willwalk

AV Forums Member

• PipPipPip
  • 450 posts

Posted 14 January 2010 - 10:02 AM

I don't think it matters actually since DDT/TDT have main SD channels. I thought the same thing last year but it turns out that even though they're digital only, they are treated as if the have an analog channel. So that that means SC doesn't have to broadcast the games at all, it's more a matter of making money than any legal requirement.

No me either... I might start a new thread in the Tassie forum.

Well both SC in Tassie and Darwin don't have to show saturday ten AFL games, but the problem is that Southern cross central would have to since it is not in digtial format yet (unless the federal government's new FTA satellite system is up and running by June) BTW there is still no joint venture Ten in central australia as yet.

That leaves SC in a very tricky position especially in the NT. My guess is both SC Darwin and Central would have to show ten's AFL games on saturday right til the end of 2013 AFL season even if DDT already shows them because the regional and remote areas of NT outside Darwin still haven't got SC or Ten in digital format yet.

#6 Alista

Alista

AV Forums Member

• PipPipPipPip
  • 686 posts

Posted 14 January 2010 - 10:15 AM

Well both SC in Tassie and Darwin don't have to show saturday ten AFL games, but the problem is that Southern cross central would have to since it is not in digtial format yet (unless the federal government's new FTA satellite system is up and running by June) BTW there is still no joint venture Ten in central australia as yet.

That leaves SC in a very tricky position especially in the NT. My guess is both SC Darwin and Central would have to show ten's AFL games on saturday right til the end of 2013 AFL season even if DDT already shows them because the regional and remote areas of NT outside Darwin still haven't got SC or Ten in digital format yet.

Sounds like anything could happen...
BTW I made a topic in Tassie forum but someone made a new topic about something else as soon as I did it.

#7 willwalk

willwalk

AV Forums Member

• PipPipPip
  • 450 posts

Posted 14 January 2010 - 02:33 PM

Sounds like anything could happen...
BTW I made a topic in Tassie forum but someone made a new topic about something else as soon as I did it.

Yeah. The tricky part of it is that Southern cross central is not on the same feed as the Darwin counterpart (southern cross darwin) because southern cross central operates on EST (queensland time) and receives the 6 pm news from Brisbane while in Darwin we receive the Melbourne news at 6 pm and the local southern cross station here operate on CST.

It's possible to show ten AFL games on saturday on southern cross central only but then it would upset people in Darwin who has yet to upgrade to digital. But didn't I read somewhere that 70% of darwin people has already upgraded to digital or isn't it the correct figure? On the other hand the population of Darwin who has yet to upgrade to digital has a lot of time and had plenty of time to save up to upgrade to digital and digtial equipment is so cheap to buy anyway especially nowadays. The commericals started brodcasting in 2003 in digital, and the national channels started digital format in 2001 here. So if the people who are upset because Southern cross darwin might choose not to show Ten saturday games might consider upgrading to digital because by 2013 they will be left with no choice but to do so.

The law may require southern cross darwin to keep showing ten afl saturday games to cater for people who has yet to upgrade to digital. I think the afl ten saturday games are more likely than not to be shown in darwin this season throughout to 2013.

#8 Dazza901

Dazza901

AV Forums Member

• 9 posts

Posted 15 January 2010 - 08:56 AM

Bring on ONE HD in Darwin, considering that they have the channel working with scenes and music playing why not give us some sport instead? :-(

#9 willwalk

willwalk

AV Forums Member

• PipPipPip
  • 450 posts

Posted 15 January 2010 - 09:50 AM

Bring on ONE HD in Darwin, considering that they have the channel working with scenes and music playing why not give us some sport instead? :-(

Yeah the loop has to go. I've seen ONE HD at Ayr near Townsville in regional Queensland visiting realitives over xmas, and yes they should bring it up here. Mind you if they don't bring it here before the commonwealth games there'll be a outcry. BTW - off topic - they have yet to show GO! here as well, and yes I miss the Bewitched and Get smart shows, and saw those shows in Ayr on GO! over christmas (off topic not related to sports but replying to calls to bringing new channels here in Darwin)

Edited by willwalk, 15 January 2010 - 09:54 AM.

#10 wilrc1

wilrc1

AV Forums Member

• Pip
  • 83 posts

Posted 15 January 2010 - 01:17 PM

Yeah the loop has to go. I've seen ONE HD at Ayr near Townsville in regional Queensland visiting realitives over xmas, and yes they should bring it up here. Mind you if they don't bring it here before the commonwealth games there'll be a outcry. BTW - off topic - they have yet to show GO! here as well, and yes I miss the Bewitched and Get smart shows, and saw those shows in Ayr on GO! over christmas (off topic not related to sports but replying to calls to bringing new channels here in Darwin)

The problem is the business case over whether its worthwhile to purchase extra pipe to get Go or One (whether hd or sd format), you may see Go pop up in the next few months but its likely to be a dirty feed from mel or syd via satellite... same feed that will be used for foxtel.

#11 willwalk

willwalk

AV Forums Member

• PipPipPip
  • 450 posts

Posted 15 January 2010 - 09:19 PM

The problem is the business case over whether its worthwhile to purchase extra pipe to get Go or One (whether hd or sd format), you may see Go pop up in the next few months but its likely to be a dirty feed from mel or syd via satellite... same feed that will be used for foxtel.

Yep I can see that happening as well with the GO! channel. I have pretty much expected the same.

I concede that as much as I would like to see GO! and ONE HD here, I am doubtful really if there is going to be enough ads for it. On the One HD feed that I saw there was ads from Coffs Habour and Mackay even thought I saw it near Townsville at Ayr. But the ads are prodominately national on both channels, or statewide on GO! but more likely national ads. I cannot see any Darwin ads on GO! or ONE HD and unlikely to expect any. 7 Two is the real exception, I just got lucky with 7 two. But I cannot see luck on my side with GO! or ONE HD.

As much disappointed I am not being able to see these channels, but I concede those stations have a good reason and I accept their reasons even though I was disappointed. Unfortunately Darwin might have to wait for ONE HD and GO! What happens if I miss out on seeing Bewitched or Get Smart when GO! comes? I can understand how Prime viewers felt when they missed out on parts of their good shows on 7two while waiting for 7two. It hurts doesn't it? Just ask a Prime viewer. Southern cross Ten viewers missed out on seeing Indian 20 over cricket 2009 in April and May 2009 while waiting for ONE HD which didn't arrive til July 2 in southern cross Ten markets, July 30th in Tassie via TDT and December 1 in Mildura via MDV. Those viewers in southern cross ten, TDT and MDV markets sure did have a empty feeling missing out on the indian cricket last year, didn't they?

But the reality is at the end of the day TV stations are a business and not a charity, and they can make unpopular decisions whether we like it or not, and there are good reasons for it, we'll just have to wait. Sometimes the wait might be worth it, sometimes it might not.

We might have to learn to live with seeing the nature loop, whether we like or not. In a remote area like Darwin delay of new services is just a part of life up here.

Edited by willwalk, 15 January 2010 - 09:31 PM.

#12 wilrc1

wilrc1

AV Forums Member

• Pip
  • 83 posts

Posted 23 January 2010 - 10:22 PM

Yep I can see that happening as well with the GO! channel. I have pretty much expected the same.

I concede that as much as I would like to see GO! and ONE HD here, I am doubtful really if there is going to be enough ads for it. On the One HD feed that I saw there was ads from Coffs Habour and Mackay even thought I saw it near Townsville at Ayr. But the ads are prodominately national on both channels, or statewide on GO! but more likely national ads. I cannot see any Darwin ads on GO! or ONE HD and unlikely to expect any. 7 Two is the real exception, I just got lucky with 7 two. But I cannot see luck on my side with GO! or ONE HD.

As much disappointed I am not being able to see these channels, but I concede those stations have a good reason and I accept their reasons even though I was disappointed. Unfortunately Darwin might have to wait for ONE HD and GO! What happens if I miss out on seeing Bewitched or Get Smart when GO! comes? I can understand how Prime viewers felt when they missed out on parts of their good shows on 7two while waiting for 7two. It hurts doesn't it? Just ask a Prime viewer. Southern cross Ten viewers missed out on seeing Indian 20 over cricket 2009 in April and May 2009 while waiting for ONE HD which didn't arrive til July 2 in southern cross Ten markets, July 30th in Tassie via TDT and December 1 in Mildura via MDV. Those viewers in southern cross ten, TDT and MDV markets sure did have a empty feeling missing out on the indian cricket last year, didn't they?

But the reality is at the end of the day TV stations are a business and not a charity, and they can make unpopular decisions whether we like it or not, and there are good reasons for it, we'll just have to wait. Sometimes the wait might be worth it, sometimes it might not.

We might have to learn to live with seeing the nature loop, whether we like or not. In a remote area like Darwin delay of new services is just a part of life up here.

Its not that Darwin is remote, its that Telstra is the only service provider with fibre into Darwin which makes it a monopoly, thus costs are high, if Darwin had a large population it wouldnt be an issue. If I were you I would be happy with the melb feed as you wont get Go any other way.

#13 willwalk

willwalk

AV Forums Member

• PipPipPip
  • 450 posts

Posted 23 January 2010 - 10:51 PM

Its not that Darwin is remote, its that Telstra is the only service provider with fibre into Darwin which makes it a monopoly, thus costs are high, if Darwin had a large population it wouldnt be an issue. If I were you I would be happy with the melb feed as you wont get Go any other way.

Yeah. I'd be happy with any feed of GO! Doesn't matter where from whether it is Brisbane, sydney or melbourne. But I think given the local station get their news from Sydney on weekends, I am almost certain they will probably get GO! from sydney. But any feed of GO! would do, I don't care where from.