Great news and it includes WA.
The Minister's Media Release

AlanH

#2 charlesc

charlesc

AV Forum Member

• 2,612 posts

Posted 05 January 2010 - 03:18 PM

May as well keep it all in the one thread already started here.

#3 cracky

cracky

AV Forum Member

• 9 posts

Posted 04 May 2010 - 08:05 AM

Hi AlanH,

As an installer I was trying to find out some info on what will be the process of having access to fta digital satellite tv for my customers as an option to very average to poor digital tv coverage. We are on average only 100 km from brisbane and do have 2 regional digital transmission towers (Mt Lofty and Mt Mowbullan) to access but with the terrain of our local area ( As in alot of areas I would imagine with quality of digital tv )being quite a negative for digital tv. Hearing about this announcement from gov sounds promising for wiping out alot of digital tv issues as alot of people would be interested in receiving a quality digital reception if all they had to do was get a sat dish installed. Any info would be appreciated thanks

cracky

#4 beeblebrox

beeblebrox

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,557 posts

Posted 04 May 2010 - 09:36 AM

Hi AlanH,

As an installer I was trying to find out some info on what will be the process of having access to fta digital satellite tv for my customers as an option to very average to poor digital tv coverage. We are on average only 100 km from brisbane and do have 2 regional digital transmission towers (Mt Lofty and Mt Mowbullan) to access but with the terrain of our local area ( As in alot of areas I would imagine with quality of digital tv )being quite a negative for digital tv. Hearing about this announcement from gov sounds promising for wiping out alot of digital tv issues as alot of people would be interested in receiving a quality digital reception if all they had to do was get a sat dish installed. Any info would be appreciated thanks

cracky

Cracky, unfortunately asking Alanh will get you nowhere because he doesn't actually know.

There's a zillion line thread on this subject here http://www.dtvforum....showtopic=85490

To tell you what I currently know,
The satellite service was supposed to be in place for the Mildura switch off in July. At this stage it appears this isn't likely to happen by then. End of the year is possible if they pull their fingers out soon and sign some contracts with optus for satellite transponders etc

We do not know how you will qualify for the satellite service, if it will be along the aurora type process/guidlines or will it be something completely new. My guess is that it will likely be a new process because anyone who has dealt with Aurora knows how well that doesn't really work in terms of process.

It is clear the govt intends to tightly control access to the satellite service because they are intent on locking authorisation to a specific box (and card). Therefore we can assume it won't be something that will be generally available.

Like you I have quite a number of customers who cannot receive reliable dvb-t. Some of these already have Aurora and some are just waiting for this new service.

The only published info available at them moment is the fluffy stuff at http://www.digitalre...s...84&group=11

There's not a lot to go on yet I've got some customers that are just waiting now, some on Aurora so they can get some tv and some that spend many thousands to get terrestrial.

#5 alanh

alanh

AV Forum Member

• 12,561 posts

Posted 20 May 2010 - 03:56 AM

Beeblebrox,
If he went to my "Get the Best Reception" post for his area, at the bottom there is a link to our of area. This takes you to the ACMA site where the form to be filled out by the viewer and the antenna technician is posted along with all the instructions. This form contains information about signal levels required for DVB-T signal strengths to be inadequate.

Cracky,
Read Get the Best Reception, Regional Queensland and read the links.
Please post there and I will answer your questions.

AlanH