Photo

Can A Strong Srt-4260 Receive Fta Signals?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 dmcgowan

dmcgowan

AV Forum Member

• Pip
  • 92 posts

Posted 01 January 2010 - 07:13 PM

My in-laws have a satellite and Strong SRT 4260 decoder box so that they can watch RAI (Italian channel) for free. They also have a cheapy Humax STB that gets SD channels which they would like to watch but struggle with swapping between AV inputs and remembering which remote, etc, etc.

I pulled out the box today (SRT 4260) and it has a normal terrestrial antenna connection at the back. This made me think - can it also receive the SD FTA channels? There is a TV / SAT switch on the remote but I had to leave before I had a chance to play with it.

Has anyone on the forum got one of these or seen it in action to tell me if it is worthwhile chasing down whether or not we can run FTA and their satellite Italian channel in the one box? This is the product page but the manual seems fairly quiet on what might be possible with terrestrial signals:

http://www.strong-te...ils.aspx?id=41#

If this would be a wild goose chase (i.e. it can't do both), any hints on is there a combo box out there and if so, which ones are any good (can see one on the Strong website).

Cheers,

Darren

#2 DrP

DrP

AV Forum Member

• 16,740 posts

Posted 01 January 2010 - 07:25 PM

From the manual it looks like a satellite only receiver. The sockets you refer to allow you to loop your FTA antenna cable through the receiver and have it output what the receiver is decoding to a particular analogue TV channel. The manual suggests that TV/SAT button 'turns off' parts of the receiver when you press for power saving reasons when you are watching FTA terrestrial.

There are combo receivers that do both terrestrial and satellite such as the Mediastar series promoted by a particular member on this forum at times. If the edition of RAI your parents are watching requires a smartcard or CAM to receive there are issues with combo boxes that can make life difficult.

Edited by DrP, 01 January 2010 - 07:29 PM.

#3 dmcgowan

dmcgowan

AV Forum Member

• Pip
  • 92 posts

Posted 01 January 2010 - 07:41 PM

From the manual it looks like a satellite only receiver. The sockets you refer to allow you to loop your FTA antenna cable through the receiver and have it output what the receiver is decoding to a particular analogue TV channel. The manual suggests that TV/SAT button 'turns off' parts of the receiver when you press for power saving reasons when you are watching FTA terrestrial.

There are combo receivers that do both terrestrial and satellite such as the Mediastar series promoted by a particular member on this forum at times. If the edition of RAI your parents are watching requires a smartcard or CAM to receive there are issues with combo boxes that can make life difficult.

Thanks DrP. I thought the same on reading the manual (figured they would make it obvious if it would also do FTA). The in-laws get RAI from AsiaSat5 if I managed to read the screen correctly so there doesn't appear to be a smartcard involved although I didn't look that closely. I have found the Mediastar posts so will work out whether trying to train them how to swap from AV1 to AV2 and back is worth $499 or just to buy the single box!

Cheers,

Darren

#4 pgdownload

pgdownload

AV Forum Member

• 11,670 posts

Posted 01 January 2010 - 08:38 PM

I have found the Mediastar posts so will work out whether trying to train them how to swap from AV1 to AV2 and back is worth $499 or just to buy the single box!

Potentially an ideal situation for a Harmony universal remote. You'd need to set it up for them (but its a pretty easy internet based process). Cost is say $100-$200 and the remotes are set up to perform global functions. eg Watch Sat TV, Watch FTA TV, etc. it handles switching all the AV stuff etc.

Regards

Peter Gillespie

#5 dmcgowan

dmcgowan

AV Forum Member

• Pip
  • 92 posts

Posted 01 January 2010 - 09:36 PM

Potentially an ideal situation for a Harmony universal remote. You'd need to set it up for them (but its a pretty easy internet based process). Cost is say $100-$200 and the remotes are set up to perform global functions. eg Watch Sat TV, Watch FTA TV, etc. it handles switching all the AV stuff etc.

Regards

Peter Gillespie

Thanks Peter. I have 3 of them, but the idea of trying to explain in my incredibly bad Italian how to make the harmony work is just not my idea of a fun night! Problem is that the Harmony remotes aren't flawless and so when one component gets out of whack, the troubleshooting process scares some off. I think it's a doddle but them I'm not 70 and still hankering for the old days when all they had was an on/off and a rotary dial. It's why the current TV sits on RAI 99% of the time and never gets changed to anything else!!!