• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 rman2

rman2

AV Forum Member

• 7 posts

Posted 23 December 2009 - 04:37 PM

Hi folks, new member here, be gentle...

I have finally taken the plunge and bought a new telly, a Panasonic with built-in Freeview HD. First problem is the house has no UHF aerial - there was a ratty old one up on a pole before but the cable was lying over the tiles and the aerial was buggered, so I removed it. We weren't using it anyway.

I went on down to Dick Smith to find a new aerial, only to find they have become iPod and appliance retailers so were not at all interested in having an intelligent discussion with me regarding aerials. Next stop Bunnings, where they were very friendly and helpful, and sold me a combination VHF/UHF aerial, an Antsig Code 574. Duly dug out the old mast and extension pole, bought some new RG6 cable, and flung the whole lot up on the roof.

Result is I now have great VHF reception - twas a bit ordinary before - but zip on the Freeview front. I have tried changing the alignment of the UHF bits to vertical but unsurprisingly that did not work, as Pinehill (my nearest transmitter) is horizontally polarised. Have tried pointing it in various directions roughly aligned to where the neighbours are pointing at - but still zip.

My conclusion is the aerial is completely hopeless for my area (in a bit of a valley) and I need a conventional ~2.2m long UHF aerial rather than the combo. This despite what the dude at Bunnings told me - he assured me the model he sold me was good for all reception areas. But before I take it back and tell them I want my money back, I thought I'd check in with the experts - is there anything else I could be doing wrong?

Cheers
RM

#2 alanh

alanh

AV Forum Member

• 12,633 posts

Posted 25 December 2009 - 05:53 PM

RM,
Read Get the best reception NZ

The VHF/UHF combo was definately the wrong advice, because all digital is on UHF. An antenna designed for your channels 1, 2 & 3 will make impulse interference much worse.

Please ask any further questions

AlanH

#3 DrP

DrP

AV Forum Member

• 16,740 posts

Posted 25 December 2009 - 06:29 PM

is there anything else I could be doing wrong?

You'd get more help asking in a NZ forum with people that have local knowledge rather than posting on a forum that is Australian based.

As usual my advice is engage a reputable antenna installer who should have the correct equipment to determine exactly what is required to give you reliable terrestrial reception is a start.

#4 M'bozo

M'bozo

AV Forum Member

• 2,825 posts

Posted 25 December 2009 - 09:58 PM

RM,

I'll try to be gentle.

The Pinehill transmitter seems to be a low powered infill device (25dBW), and is all UHF for digital & analogue.

If you are getting good VHF analogue reception, it must be coming from Waiatarua. This site also transmits DTV on UHF, but at a considerably higher power level (52dBW)

Depending on your distance from the transmitting site, and that you are in blocked terrain, a UHF phased array may be a more suitable antenna for DTV reception. I would be aiming for the higher powered site first, and Pinehill second.

As I have noted elsewhere, the position of an antenna in this situation can be critical, this is usually determined accurately (if a signal is present at all), by the use of appropriate measuring devices.

Cabling and connectors should be industry standard for this application.

Marc.

Edited by M'bozo, 25 December 2009 - 10:08 PM.

#5 rman2

rman2

AV Forum Member

• 7 posts

Posted 31 December 2009 - 12:14 PM

You'd get more help asking in a NZ forum with people that have local knowledge rather than posting on a forum that is Australian based.

Had a look for an NZ forum, couldn't find one - and as this site had a NZ topic area I thought it might be a good place to start.

As usual my advice is engage a reputable antenna installer who should have the correct equipment to determine exactly what is required to give you reliable terrestrial reception is a start.

Now where's the fun in that? :)

RM,

I'll try to be gentle.

The Pinehill transmitter...

Ta, much appreciated. I have now exchanged the combo aerial for a UHF, and am now at least getting some UHF channels, although a very poor signal, so no digital as yet. I've been distracted a bit lately from this by xmas feasting and all that, so I'll get up there again soon and test different directions and altitudes. If all else fails I'll get an installer with a signal meter to bring some science to my efforts.

Thanks all for the help.

#6 cyril

cyril

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPipPip
  • 834 posts

Posted 31 December 2009 - 02:23 PM

There are two NZ forums that could be of help to you.

http://nzdtv.com/forum/index.php

and

http://www.geekzone.co.nz/forums.asp

As for your exact issue, as I dont live in Auckland I cannot comment on the issues in your area, but from what I have seen you have started working through a reasonable approach of experimentation. However I should point out that reception issues in your area seems to be a common issue, so an installer with experience and a meter would probably be the go.

Cheers
Cyril