40 replies to this topic

#1 tedstar_1

tedstar_1

AV Forum Member

• Pip
  • 121 posts

Posted 09 December 2009 - 08:56 AM

Hi All,

After purchasing the topfield TF7100HDPVRt in July 09 in the last week I have been experiencing freeze when playing back movies and even when it eventually stops after pressing the stop button to go back to live TV the TV channel stutters. Sometimes I even have to turn off the PVR and turn back on to get going again. I have put the current upgrade on to see if it would fix the problem but it doesn't seem to be the case.

Can someone tell me how I can fix this or will I need to send it to Topfield?
And I have my wife's movies on the toppy at present how do I copy these onto another source so they aren't lost, can they then put put back onto the Toppy to view?

Any help would be greatly appreciated before I blast toppy...

Thanks
Ted

#2 Tassie Devil

Tassie Devil

AV Forum Member

• 3,787 posts

Posted 09 December 2009 - 09:35 AM

Hi All,

After purchasing the topfield TF7100HDPVRt in July 09 in the last week I have been experiencing freeze when playing back movies and even when it eventually stops after pressing the stop button to go back to live TV the TV channel stutters. Sometimes I even have to turn off the PVR and turn back on to get going again. I have put the current upgrade on to see if it would fix the problem but it doesn't seem to be the case.

Can someone tell me how I can fix this or will I need to send it to Topfield?
And I have my wife's movies on the toppy at present how do I copy these onto another source so they aren't lost, can they then put put back onto the Toppy to view?

Any help would be greatly appreciated before I blast toppy...

Thanks
Ted

Have you installed the latest firmware? If not do so and your problems should be solved BUT make sure you do a full factory reset after (this will wipe all timer settings so will need to go back in again) and follow with a rescan. Otherwise you could have an HDD problem - give Toppy a ring to double check.

John

#3 MickB......

MickB......

AV Forum Member

• PipPip
  • 205 posts

Posted 09 December 2009 - 09:42 AM

First - Copying Movies.
1. The easiest way is to buy yourself an external hard drive with a USB connection. Any of the top brands (Seagate, Lacie, Western Digital, etc) will do. You can get a 1 TB drive for just over $100.
2. After plugging it into the power supply, Plug it into the USB port on the topfield.
3. Go to the Topfield menu and find and select format external drive. This will take some time.
4. Once formatted you can use the files list on the Topfield to copy the movies over to the external drive. Again depending on how many this may take some time.

Second - The freezing issue.

1. You may need to update the firmware on the Topfield unit. Check which version is installed.
2. Go to the Topfield web site and download the latest version onto a USB drive if it is not the same as what is already installed. Topfield 7100 Web Site
3. Plug he USB stick into the Topfield and follow the update firmware instructions.
4. You will have to set it back up again after this.

Another reason may be some issues with the hard drive. When the hard drive on my Toppy is full I have issues. Delete the recordings after you copy them to the external hard drive. See if that helps.

#4 tedstar_1

tedstar_1

AV Forum Member

• Pip
  • 121 posts

Posted 09 December 2009 - 09:55 AM

Already did the firmware update. Will try it again becasue i noticed in the settings it had March 09 date not Nov 09.

If the problem still persists after this then I will call toppy before doing a factory reset.

Thanks for the heads up

#5 Notace

Notace

AV Forum Member

• 38 posts

Posted 09 December 2009 - 01:53 PM

Already did the firmware update. Will try it again becasue i noticed in the settings it had March 09 date not Nov 09.

If the problem still persists after this then I will call toppy before doing a factory reset.

Thanks for the heads up

March 09 is the latest Firmware for the 7100. So you're now up to date.

Installing the March F/W wipes your hard drive. I hope you got the recordings off first?

External HDD: People have reported that you should use one which has it's own power supply, as there have been problems reported with those that are powered off the USB port. I guess there are limits to the power that can be provided via USB, but I would have thought that the USB standard would cover all of that. I have not had problems with a USB powered 80Gb drive that I use to transfer recordings to a PC, but suggest heeding the warnings for decent sized drives.

Note that the 7100 will format an external HDD to ext2 format (a Linux format). It will not recognise an NTFS formatted drive. If you have a drive formatted with FAT32, and you connect that, the 7100 will recognise the drive, and FORMAT THE ENTIRE DRIVE, and you will lose any data on the external drive. So don't use a drive which has anything you want to keep on it. Once formatted, to use this drive on a Windows PC, you will need to download and install a suitable driver. You can download it from HERE! It's free.

Copying files: When you copy recordings to an external, three files are copied. The recording itself (.mpg), as well as a .info and .nav file. These latter two are used by the 7100 to control edits and navigation and if you want to copy recordings back to the 7100 these must be present. If they are not, and the 7100 just sees a .mpg file without the accompanying .info and .nav files, it will delete the .mpg file without telling you it has done so. So beware!

Regards

Ron

#6 tedstar_1

tedstar_1

AV Forum Member

• Pip
  • 121 posts

Posted 09 December 2009 - 02:00 PM

I will give it all a try and seee how I go

Thanks Heaps

#7 Tassie Devil

Tassie Devil

AV Forum Member

• 3,787 posts

Posted 09 December 2009 - 03:38 PM

March 09 is the latest Firmware for the 7100. So you're now up to date.

Ron are you sure of that? I downloaded TF7100HDPVRt firmware (20090317) dated 2009-11-12 yesterday and installed it. Details at http://www.itopfield...il.asp?idx=220# No mention of March firmware there.

John

#8 mikeathome

mikeathome

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPip
  • 297 posts

Posted 09 December 2009 - 04:12 PM

Ron are you sure of that? I downloaded TF7100HDPVRt firmware (20090317) dated 2009-11-12 yesterday and installed it. Details at http://www.itopfield...il.asp?idx=220# No mention of March firmware there.

John

It may not be all that obvious but the 20090317 in the name in this case refers to the date of release of the firmware and is 17th March 2009.

Edited by mikeathome, 09 December 2009 - 04:13 PM.

#9 Tassie Devil

Tassie Devil

AV Forum Member

• 3,787 posts

Posted 09 December 2009 - 04:14 PM

It may not be all that obvious but the 20090317 in the name in this case refers to the date of release of the firmware and is 17th March 2009.

LOL, yet it should be obvious!!! :o :mellow: :huh:

Thanks

John

#10 tedstar_1

tedstar_1

AV Forum Member

• Pip
  • 121 posts

Posted 10 December 2009 - 08:57 AM

Thanks for all your help. I did a factory reset last night and didn't know it still kept all the saved files on the HDD, just had to re-scan as suggested and so far no problems. I have the March 09 Firmware installed already.

If these problems arise again I'll let you know. I actually haven't tried playing back a movie/recording yet to see if it freezes but FT air was freezing last night too...but now working

Thanks again

#11 tedstar_1

tedstar_1

AV Forum Member

• Pip
  • 121 posts

Posted 17 December 2009 - 06:38 PM

Toppy organised pickup this week and after missing the pick up because i didn;t know. I spoke to local courier company and it will be picked up tomorrow

They say it should be back within 2 weeks....Hopefully its working when it does come back!

#12 jzr

jzr

AV Forum Member

• 24 posts

Posted 19 December 2009 - 05:42 PM

Toppy organised pickup this week and after missing the pick up because i didn;t know. I spoke to local courier company and it will be picked up tomorrow

They say it should be back within 2 weeks....Hopefully its working when it does come back!

hmmm interesting. I bought my 7100 in July this year also and surprise surprise...i am experiencing the same issues as you except mine surface around 3 weeks ago. Jittery picture all of a sudden that did not resolve itself until powering off from the mains for about 10 minutes and turning back on. Now playback freezes intermittently and just in the last three days the unit is continually resetting itself and then getting stuck on run afterwards. The only way I can get it going is powering off at the mains for a while. I do not leave it on all the time and the behaviour occurs even when the unit is dead cold!

Mine came with the March firmware out of the box and no issues until just now.

I will be sending mine back first thing in the new year as they (Topfield) tell me they are closing from Xmas until 4th January and I'd rather keep the unit over Xmas and try and salvage all of my recordings first.

Have heard a few people with similar issues say that the motherboard is faulty and they will likely replace it. It just seems strange that these units are all failing at the exact same time! Be interested to know if they were all from the same build batch. Just glad it's happening under warranty!

#13 mflbob

mflbob

AV Forum Member

• 9 posts

Posted 21 December 2009 - 08:20 AM

hmmm interesting. I bought my 7100 in July this year also and surprise surprise...i am experiencing the same issues as you except mine surface around 3 weeks ago. Jittery picture all of a sudden that did not resolve itself until powering off from the mains for about 10 minutes and turning back on. Now playback freezes intermittently and just in the last three days the unit is continually resetting itself and then getting stuck on run afterwards. The only way I can get it going is powering off at the mains for a while. I do not leave it on all the time and the behaviour occurs even when the unit is dead cold!

I'll add to the list. Bought my 7100 in July and the first unit was a dud. Stuck on run from the word go so I took it back and was swapped over for a new one. Now, less than 6 months later the picture freezes while right after starting up, and the 'Checking HDD' message is on the screen.

I've tried restoring to factory settings, although I'm not sure how successful this was - every time I restored to factory setting, the screen goes blank and all I see is 'install factory' or something like that on the Toppy display. The next time I switched it on, it seemed to have worked...I had to reset to IceTV, enter my wireless network details and FTP. That took a couple of attempts - the unit froze while I was entering my IP addresses.

Then it started all over again, freezing during startup. There's sound but the picture's frozen. I had hoped to transfer my recordings to my ext HDD, but that too froze just after it started transferring. I left it unplugged from the wall socket overnight....and that hasn't fixed it.

Short of reinstalling the firmware (btw, I have the current firmware 20090317 - it came installed), anyone have any ideas?

It's dire straits...no PVR, our old SD STB (Strong) also is now dead....and kids on school holidays. The wife isn't happy.....

#14 JaffaMan

JaffaMan

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPip
  • 292 posts

Posted 24 December 2009 - 11:19 AM

I'll add to the list. Bought my 7100 in July and the first unit was a dud. Stuck on run from the word go so I took it back and was swapped over for a new one. Now, less than 6 months later the picture freezes while right after starting up, and the 'Checking HDD' message is on the screen.

I've tried restoring to factory settings, although I'm not sure how successful this was - every time I restored to factory setting, the screen goes blank and all I see is 'install factory' or something like that on the Toppy display. The next time I switched it on, it seemed to have worked...I had to reset to IceTV, enter my wireless network details and FTP. That took a couple of attempts - the unit froze while I was entering my IP addresses.

Then it started all over again, freezing during startup. There's sound but the picture's frozen. I had hoped to transfer my recordings to my ext HDD, but that too froze just after it started transferring. I left it unplugged from the wall socket overnight....and that hasn't fixed it.

Short of reinstalling the firmware (btw, I have the current firmware 20090317 - it came installed), anyone have any ideas?

It's dire straits...no PVR, our old SD STB (Strong) also is now dead....and kids on school holidays. The wife isn't happy.....

If it is freezing regularly like this it may be a hardware problem - particularly if it hasn't got good ventilation. Given Topfield will be closed for a week or so, you may want to try using just component out instead of HDMI - sometimes the HDMI video can go blank and component remains working fine.

Factory reset will always give you no picture as it clears the services out of the machine - you need to rescan for them, and re-enter all your IP address stuff etc.

It may not hurt to reinstall the firmware even if it is the latest one - I have found in the past that this seems to help when things have gotten messed up - seems to do an even deeper reset than the standard factory reset.

If you keep having issues try the topfield forum at http://www.itopfield.com.au/forum/

#15 Basil

Basil

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,295 posts

Posted 25 December 2009 - 08:15 AM

Also don't throw the Strong out,do a search of this Forum,probaly the Capacitor issue,easy fix.

#16 tedstar_1

tedstar_1

AV Forum Member

• Pip
  • 121 posts

Posted 29 December 2009 - 10:01 AM

Got a msg from Toppy on the 22nd December. Unit received, expect 2-3 weeks before returned, item picked up but not started...

Looks like mid Jan before I can record. At least theres nothing on TV to watch!

#17 Tassie Devil

Tassie Devil

AV Forum Member

• 3,787 posts

Posted 29 December 2009 - 11:20 AM

Damn. The 7100 here froze last night (HDMI out) for the first time. The only way I could get it out of it was to power off and start playing the file again. Interestingly it had not bookmarked the place where it froze so a FF was needed.

Similar to the problem experienced with the 7000 only with that machine the video was lost -> black screen. This time the video remained but otherwise it had locked up completely and no button pushing would revive it. I had installed the latest firmware and done an HDD format when I got it a few weeks ago.

See if it recurs. If it does then I guess it will have to go back to Toppy. A bit disappointing as I though all such problems had finally been ironed out. Seems rather odd that these PVRs should function nicely for months and then give troubles. My guess is that the (quite substantial) heat given out by the Toppy causes some component(s) in the circuitry, most likely capacitors, to change their value -> altered behaviour. I had tried putting a computer fan on top of the 7000 to extract some of the heat but that did not help so I'm not about to bother trying it with the 7100.

I'll stick with the Toppies because I like their interface - far better than anything else I have tried + the only PVR with a good enough tuner on those tried so far for this borderline reception area.

But I thought these issues were behind us. :angry2:

John

#18 tedstar_1

tedstar_1

AV Forum Member

• Pip
  • 121 posts

Posted 29 December 2009 - 03:54 PM

My Father in-law got one the same time as me, what happens if his starts to play up after 13 months??? We all know theres a problem but some may happen before others, Will toppy fix this one too???

I must admit he is getting his unit re-done and has had the Toppy sitting on a coffee table not inclosed at all!

So your thinking on the heat situation sounds spot on...

#19 mflbob

mflbob

AV Forum Member

• 9 posts

Posted 12 January 2010 - 08:58 AM

If it is freezing regularly like this it may be a hardware problem - particularly if it hasn't got good ventilation. Given Topfield will be closed for a week or so, you may want to try using just component out instead of HDMI - sometimes the HDMI video can go blank and component remains working fine.

Factory reset will always give you no picture as it clears the services out of the machine - you need to rescan for them, and re-enter all your IP address stuff etc.

It may not hurt to reinstall the firmware even if it is the latest one - I have found in the past that this seems to help when things have gotten messed up - seems to do an even deeper reset than the standard factory reset.

If you keep having issues try the topfield forum at http://www.itopfield.com.au/forum/

Thanks - sorry for the late reply but I've been away on holidays!

The unit is now with Topfield - picked up by courier before Christmas, an email sent last Monday (4/1/2010) saying they had the unit and it's now logged in their system for someone to look at...and will take around 2-3 weeks. So much for sending it asap.

Am using component to connect to a Panasonic 68cm CRT so no HDMI connections anyway.

My unit wasn't enclosed and sat on top of our TV cabinet, well-ventilated. I had rescanned the services after the factory reset so that wasn't the problem...and I had also entered the IP address, IceTV details etc (thank goodness I had recorded the details somewhere...wary after reading about the 7100 problems). Also, I tried to re-install the firmware but the unit was well dead by that stage I think. Couldn't get past the freezing picture and 'Checking HDD' message...so back to Toppy.

Hopefully I haven't wasted money on the PVR version of the P76 lemon....

Edited by WYSIWYG, 12 January 2010 - 10:35 AM.

#20 mflbob

mflbob

AV Forum Member

• 9 posts

Posted 12 January 2010 - 08:59 AM

Also don't throw the Strong out,do a search of this Forum,probaly the Capacitor issue,easy fix.

Thank you - I'll search as you suggested and hopefully can resuscitate it.

:D

#21 deangelj

deangelj

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,047 posts

Posted 12 January 2010 - 03:02 PM

Damn. The 7100 here froze last night (HDMI out) for the first time. The only way I could get it out of it was to power off and start playing the file again. Interestingly it had not bookmarked the place where it froze so a FF was needed.

John, there is a known issue (maybe fixed in the latest just released firmware), where if you're watching a recording that is currently in progress (chase playing), when that recording ends it sometimes freezes the toppy. You have to reboot to recover.

#22 Tassie Devil

Tassie Devil

AV Forum Member

• 3,787 posts

Posted 12 January 2010 - 03:19 PM

John, there is a known issue (maybe fixed in the latest just released firmware), where if you're watching a recording that is currently in progress (chase playing), when that recording ends it sometimes freezes the toppy. You have to reboot to recover.

No it was not chase play but a previously recorded file and it was not recording at the time. Before the freeze I had downloaded the latest file, done a complete reset and rescan and even reformatted the drive. It has not repeated freezing since.

Fingers crossed.

John

#23 Referee

Referee

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPip
  • 266 posts

Posted 14 January 2010 - 01:43 PM

No it was not chase play but a previously recorded file and it was not recording at the time. Before the freeze I had downloaded the latest file, done a complete reset and rescan and even reformatted the drive. It has not repeated freezing since.

Fingers crossed.

John

Had this problem last night. Had it happen before, but the only way out was a forced standby key press which I had resorted to at that time. But the difference today was:

Watching a recording........... pause button pressed. After about 5 minutes or so with pause pressed, the Video display (HDMI connected) began to break up and had multiple images on screen one above and one below on the screen, but these were seized and not playing. Remote buttons failed to restart from the pause. Stop button, rewind, jump back etc. all tried - no response from 7100.

Then in desperation pressed vFormat button and display settled down and live TV appeared on screen, WITH the recording stopped playing. Pressed Archive reselected the same file which was being played back earlier and had seized, as above. Pressed OK and the recording restarted playing from the point it was before seizing up. No further problems and the file finished playing. Cannot recall pressing pause again.

Don't understand why :o , but this restore display and playback 'method' [with vFormat button] should be reproducible. (ie If pause pressing during a recoding playback is a problem - Bug).

Was not chase playing, nor do I have storage turned on. Was simply playing back a recorded file from several weeks ago. Could be there is an HDMI sync issue as has been suggested on the Topfield forum post I made there.

#24 Tassie Devil

Tassie Devil

AV Forum Member

• 3,787 posts

Posted 14 January 2010 - 01:51 PM

Had this problem last night. Had it happen before, but the only way out was a forced standby key press which I had resorted to at that time. But the difference today was:

Watching a recording........... pause button pressed. After about 5 minutes or so with pause pressed, the Video display (HDMI connected) began to break up and had multiple images on screen one above and one below on the screen, but these were seized and not playing. Remote buttons failed to restart from the pause. Stop button, rewind, jump back etc. all tried - no response from 7100.

Then in desperation pressed vFormat button and display settled down and live TV appeared on screen, WITH the recording stopped playing. Pressed Archive reselected the same file which was being played back earlier and had seized, as above. Pressed OK and the recording restarted playing from the point it was before seizing up. No further problems and the file finished playing. Cannot recall pressing pause again.

Don't understand why :o , but this restore display and playback 'method' [with vFormat button] should be reproducible. (ie If pause pressing during a recoding playback is a problem - Bug).

Was not chase playing, nor do I have storage turned on. Was simply playing back a recorded file from several weeks ago. Could be there is an HDMI sync issue as has been suggested on the Topfield forum post I made there.

Interesting but a bit frustrating.

I seen to recall using the vFormat button was sometimes a "cure" to shock the 7000 out of bad behaviour.

There is new firmware out for the 7000 which seems to be working ok so far so maybe there will be a similar release for the 7100. Many were cursing Topfield in loud voices about having abandoned users but it does seem this is incorrect.

John

#25 Referee

Referee

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPip
  • 266 posts

Posted 14 January 2010 - 02:31 PM

There is new firmware out for the 7000 which seems to be working ok so far so maybe there will be a similar release for the 7100.
John

John,
I knew about the 'new' firmware for the 7100 as well. Still on the last FW prior to the latest release. Loath to try it until I discover what it cures??? or causes??. There has been no release of what the fixes are to either the mods or from Topfield about the firmware fixes for 1.00.51 fro the 7100.

As always tread cautiously is my motto.

Edited by Referee, 14 January 2010 - 04:16 PM.