Austar Dish - Fta Digital

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Reggie

Reggie

AV Forum Member

• 34 posts

Posted 29 November 2009 - 04:14 PM

A mate has just moved into the Tropicana Units (Parap), and I'm helping him set up his new Samsung 42" DTV.
The antenna wallplate (which has an Austar logo on it) has 2 screw type connectors. When connected to the first, the TV scans for no channels found. When connected to the second, it finds 3 analogue but no digital channels (all 3 analogue channels it finds are pretty ordinary reception). I then tried an old pair of rabbits ears (& pretty dodgy at that!!), and the TV scans & finds an additional analogue (with better quality on NTD8 & ABC than the wallplate), and 7 digital channels - all SBS (TV & radio), but the reception is 'blocky'.

Should I be able to get this DTV working on the Austar wallplate?
If not, were I to suggest to him that he buy a new rabbit ear antenna, should it work & get reasonable reception on all digital channels?

Any assistance/recommendations appreciated.

Cheers!
Peter

#2 aeon

aeon

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPipPip
  • 991 posts

Posted 29 November 2009 - 04:23 PM

The antenna wallplate may only be connected to a VHF aerial, pointing at the VHF transmitters in town (which only deliver an analog signal) - to get the digital channels you need a UHF antenna pointed at Deloraine Rd in Berrimah.

#3 Reggie

Reggie

AV Forum Member

• 34 posts

Posted 29 November 2009 - 04:47 PM

The antenna wallplate may only be connected to a VHF aerial, pointing at the VHF transmitters in town (which only deliver an analog signal) - to get the digital channels you need a UHF antenna pointed at Deloraine Rd in Berrimah.

Thanks Aeon - so it's not possible to receive FTA via the Austar dish without the 'Austar box' ??

#4 digitalj

digitalj

AV Forum Member

• 12,947 posts

Posted 29 November 2009 - 05:20 PM

Thanks Aeon - so it's not possible to receive FTA via the Austar dish without the 'Austar box' ??

not even with the austar box, only ABC, ABC2, ABC3, SBS 1 and SBS 2 are carried via Austar, to get the rest the austar mystar SD or HD needs a terrestrial antenna system.

#5 aeon

aeon

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPipPip
  • 991 posts

Posted 29 November 2009 - 05:30 PM

Yeah just as digitalj said above - the austar box won't deliver the local 7/9/10 stations.

If you are getting some reception with some ordinary rabbit ears, if you get a powered internal antenna you may be able to get a decent enough signal - they can be picked up from Dick Smith.

http://www.dse.com.a...n/product/L4016

#6 Reggie

Reggie

AV Forum Member

• 34 posts

Posted 29 November 2009 - 05:47 PM

Thanks Guys - I'll try a new powered rabbit ear jobby before I get my mate to shell out his next weeks pay on the antenna man.

#7 willwalk

willwalk

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPip
  • 450 posts

Posted 29 November 2009 - 07:31 PM

Reggie,

Sorry for late reply, But a austar and fta socket are 2 different sockets, you have to find the one that is compatiable with the FTA.

Also does the TV have a inbuilt HD television tuner? If so use the remote to look for source, and then select DTV or something like that, and then scan for the digital FTA channels.

If it doesn't have a inbuilt HD tuner (which it should) look for a HD set top box.

Also does the place have a UHF antenna that points to Berrimah? because the VHF antenna that points to the tower above channel nine at the gardens is not digital, so if you don't have a UHF antenna you are out of luck.

Hope my suggestion helps.

William Walker

Edited by willwalk, 29 November 2009 - 11:23 PM.

#8 alanh

alanh

AV Forum Member

• 12,646 posts

Posted 29 November 2009 - 10:17 PM

Reggie,
Read Get the Best Reception, NT and the transmitter link and the indoor antenna link.

AlanH

#9 alanh

alanh

AV Forum Member

• 12,646 posts

Posted 29 November 2009 - 10:17 PM

Reggie,
Read Get the Best Reception, NT and the transmitter link and the indoor antenna link.

All satellite receiver dishes must be fed into a satellite receiver. The dish cannot pick up ground based transmissions from analog or digital transmitters.

A digital TV antenna such as those in the above link must be used to feed the antenna input of a DTV or a STB.

AlanH

#10 willwalk

willwalk

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPip
  • 450 posts

Posted 29 November 2009 - 11:21 PM

Thanks Guys - I'll try a new powered rabbit ear jobby before I get my mate to shell out his next weeks pay on the antenna man.

Reggie,

I'm not so sure that a powered rabbit ear jobby (or indoor antenna) will work in Parap. I myself used to stay at Ross smith Guest House, opposite Parap school in Parap some years back, (thanks god ross smith guest house is closed) and while i stayed there I tried the indoor antenna with digital tv tuner with my laptop, it wouldn't work in my experience because the walls blocked the waves and it is too far from berrimah.

You could try it (indoor antenna) there but I doubt it will work.

William Walker

Edited by willwalk, 29 November 2009 - 11:24 PM.

#11 wilrc1

wilrc1

AV Forum Member

• Pip
  • 83 posts

Posted 30 November 2009 - 03:58 PM

Reggie,

I'm not so sure that a powered rabbit ear jobby (or indoor antenna) will work in Parap. I myself used to stay at Ross smith Guest House, opposite Parap school in Parap some years back, (thanks god ross smith guest house is closed) and while i stayed there I tried the indoor antenna with digital tv tuner with my laptop, it wouldn't work in my experience because the walls blocked the waves and it is too far from berrimah.

You could try it (indoor antenna) there but I doubt it will work.

William Walker

Most of Parap is Austar Cable are you sure its running off a dish as Austar really push their cable service in areas of Darwin that have it pass their properties... sounds like you will either need an external antenna or get cable