Adam Tensor Gamma's

• Please log in to reply
38 replies to this topic

#1 Spearmint

Spearmint

AV Forums Member

• 4,297 posts

Posted 21 November 2009 - 06:02 PM

I have to admit these speakers were very much a blind buy. I'd never seen this particular model in the flesh, let alone heard them, and the colour combination I finally chose was also a punt.

When Warwick and Phil turned up last weekend to deliver and install them, I think we were all eager to see what they looked like in the flesh. I personally like the combination, it looks simple with a touch of elegance. I was also concerned how the new speakers would look with my existing subs, but in fact, they look quite nice together, even my wife hasn't made any detrimental comments about the different finishes.

The photo does not do justice to how the speakers or room look in the flesh, I'll try to take some better ones soon.

The build quality and finish of these speakers is marvellous, everything fits together with a jewellers precision by the looks of it.

We put the speakers right where my last ones sat (they are virtually the same height and depth as my other speakers, just a bit wider), the connections included the Behringer CX2310 crossover in circuit, plus my 2x 12” subs, then I sat back to listen. Straight out of the box they sounded fantastic, WOW I was so happy. I played a couple of tracks, which I have included on some of my demo disc's, these have shown up some not so nice traits on other speakers which I've both listened to, and auditioned. The Adams played them so well I couldn't keep the smile off my face, this was virtually straight out of the box, and at quite insane levels. I did apologise to both Warwick and Phil, and explained that I don't normally listen at those levels, but did want to make sure that the clarity I experienced at Mondie's did in-fact carry on down the chain to the Gamma's. I realise our systems are at the opposite ends of the price scale, but the results I'm getting at this stage, are making me very happy with the investment.

There have been comments that some have found the Adam range of speakers bright, I've not experienced this trait with the Gamma's in my room, in fact I'd say they were somewhat laid back in their presentation.

After the initial playing, Warwick suggested to move the speakers further apart, as he said the imaging on these speakers is great, and having some air between them will improve the sound stage in my room. So I let Warwick and Phil move the subs out of the way and reposition the speakers where the subs were, and the subs where the speakers were. The improvement was immediately noticeable, with more openness in the presentation. The sound stage was still quite shallow at this stage, Warwick did say the depth will come with a few hours up on the speakers, and he was right, by the time they left, the depth had improved and was almost back to 3D, by the early evening, it was back to being very deep and 3D again.

The sonic signature of the speakers, I feel, has remained constant throughout the first week, about the only noticeable change has been to the depth of the sound stage. You feel like you're encased in a bubble of sound at times.

On the back of the amps there are controls for adjusting the levels (basically to tailor the response for personal preference) of the tweeter, midrange, and woofers, plus a very basic EQ for the bass, and another control to adjust the input levels. Mine are all set to zero, with the EQ disabled. I've been listening this way all week, and so far have had no desire to change anything.

Warwick did mention to me before departing, that I should try the speakers full range, as he felt the bass was quite good from the Gamma's and well worth a shot. So yesterday I did exactly that, and ran the speakers full range. I was pleasantly surprised at how good the bass is. I listened again last night and made an executive decision that the speakers shall remain full range for the time being, and I'll relocate the subs to the back of the room and use them for HT duties. The speakers don't have anywhere the extension or output of the subs, but I feel they perform good enough for the moment with the music I enjoy listening to.

Enough of the ramblings, how do they perform?

In a word “Fantastic”, I'm so happy with the results, even straight out of the box, they put a smile on my dial.

They are an amazing speaker, with the Gamma's in my room, and in my seat, my ears are basically at the top level of the woofer with the midrange and tweeter above ear height. The speakers are approx. 2.7Mtrs apart and I'm sitting approx. 3Mtrs back. They sound very much like a single point source, being a 4way active speaker I cannot detect, or sense, any of the individual drivers, or even variances in the amps. According to Adam, the tweeter is driven by class A/B amp, with the other drivers being driven by digital amps.

Imaging is amazing, so is the sound stage. The airiness, and detail are first rate as is the clarity of both instruments and vocals. I find instruments have a good sense of naturalism about them, especially instruments such as piano's and double bass. Even symbols and hi-hats have clarity and detail, likewise violins sound good without being edgy or unpleasant (unless they were recorded that way, if you get my drift). The speakers, overall have a nice sense of attack, and decay, with plenty of detail in-between without having an in your face presentation.

So far, with the amount of hours I've spent listening to the speakers, the only change I've made, is to run them full range, and this was only because I wanted to see how the speakers performed. I've not felt the need to change anything with regards to their sound. I've played many of my CD's during the week, looking for something to make me cringe, but as yet the Adams have delivered a very nice sound and very pleasing to my ears.

The amazing depth, clarity and pin point accuracy of the the sound stage, the rock solid imaging, and the single point source sound, make for a wonderful listening experience. There is also plenty of height with their presentation. Listening to these speakers off axis is also a rewarding experience, so for me, and my casual listening of streamed audio, these certainly deliver. The speakers disappear and leave you with only the sound.

So in a nutshell, yes I'm very happy with the sound, I've not experienced any harshness, edginess, or listening fatigue, even from new out of the box. There is no need to play only quality recordings; yes these do highlight the good from the bad, but the bad are still very listenable, and above all enjoyable.

Thanks also to Phil and Warwick from the Pure Music Group for making it a pleasant buying experience, keeping me informed along the way as to the progress of the speakers, and for delivering and installing them for me.

#2 Azz123

Azz123

AV Forums Member

• PipPipPipPip
  • 867 posts

Posted 21 November 2009 - 07:09 PM

Minty great to hear that your blind purchase has lived up to and maybe even beyond your expecations!!

Congratulations my friend!! :D

#3 :)

:)

AV Forums Member

• 31,392 posts

Posted 21 November 2009 - 09:21 PM

good ot read your thoughts and impressions on the new speakers spearmint. and really happy to read that your most pleased with them. nothing better in my opinion to end up where your at I reckon, especially given the long search for the new speakers.

now can just sit back and enjoy now, something be most pleased about many years to come have no doubt :)

#4 Spearmint

Spearmint

AV Forums Member

• 4,297 posts

Posted 22 November 2009 - 03:21 AM

Thanks guys,

I'm listening to them this morning, and they sound great at low levels.

#5 Drizt

Drizt

AV Forums Member

• 5,930 posts

Posted 22 November 2009 - 09:44 AM

Thanks for the write up mate, it made for a good read. Glad your thoroughly enjoying your new toys.

#6 BladeRnR

BladeRnR

AV Forums Member

• 3,816 posts

Posted 22 November 2009 - 03:28 PM

Thanks for a great review Spearmint.

Have you noticed your new toys have an Art Deco appearance which is extremely pleasing to the eye?

I don't believe I have ever seen speakers quite like it. If Al Capone were into Stereo I do believe these would have featured in his Chicago office :)

Just beautiful

Cheers

Blade

#7 Spearmint

Spearmint

AV Forums Member

• 4,297 posts

Posted 22 November 2009 - 03:49 PM

Thanks Drizt and Blade.

You're right Blade, although I more look at it like the 'All Blacks' with all black tops and a silver fern :D

#8 dantan

dantan

AV Forums Member

• 3,760 posts

Posted 26 November 2009 - 01:05 PM

A really good read, Spearmint.

Congratulations on your new loudspeakers.

I would love to hear these loudspeakers and experience them for myself.

They certainly have been receiving rave reviews.

The bonus is that they not only sound great, but they look great!

Enjoy!

Dan.

#9 Drizt

Drizt

AV Forums Member

• 5,930 posts

Posted 26 November 2009 - 08:20 PM

Thanks Drizt and Blade.

You're right Blade, although I more look at it like the 'All Blacks' with all black tops and a silver fern :D

Spearmint, if you don't mind could you post some images of the natural (no eq) response of the Gamma's. I'd be interested to see what they give down low. If its too much stuffing around nevermind, but just thought I would ask.

#10 Spearmint

Spearmint

AV Forums Member

• 4,297 posts

Posted 26 November 2009 - 09:07 PM

A really good read, Spearmint.

Congratulations on your new loudspeakers.

I would love to hear these loudspeakers and experience them for myself.

They certainly have been receiving rave reviews.

The bonus is that they not only sound great, but they look great!

Enjoy!

Dan.

Thanks Dantan,

They're not everyones cup of tea, like most things, you have those that like them, and others that loath them.

The invite to listen is still open. :)

#11 Spearmint

Spearmint

AV Forums Member

• 4,297 posts

Posted 26 November 2009 - 09:12 PM

Spearmint, if you don't mind could you post some images of the natural (no eq) response of the Gamma's. I'd be interested to see what they give down low. If its too much stuffing around nevermind, but just thought I would ask.

It shouldn't be too difficult Drizt. I'm planning on doing the whole system this weekend, time permitting. The computer I use for calibrating has the info on it already, so once I fire that up and re-run them again or just use the ones from a week or so back.

They don't dig very deep unfortunately, and comparing them with and without the subs is fine for most music other than the bass heavy tracks. The subs dig much deeper and have more authority.

#12 Drizt

Drizt

AV Forums Member

• 5,930 posts

Posted 26 November 2009 - 10:16 PM

It shouldn't be too difficult Drizt. I'm planning on doing the whole system this weekend, time permitting. The computer I use for calibrating has the info on it already, so once I fire that up and re-run them again or just use the ones from a week or so back.

They don't dig very deep unfortunately, and comparing them with and without the subs is fine for most music other than the bass heavy tracks. The subs dig much deeper and have more authority.

Naturally, your subs are exceptional from all reports. The 9" Eton drivers were always going to be pushing it up hill to match your subs thats for sure. Thanks in advance for the graphs mate.

Reading between the lines, these speakers have more than lived up to your expectations, which is what its all about. Congrats again mate.

#13 Spearmint

Spearmint

AV Forums Member

• 4,297 posts

Posted 27 November 2009 - 05:04 AM

Naturally, your subs are exceptional from all reports. The 9" Eton drivers were always going to be pushing it up hill to match your subs thats for sure. Thanks in advance for the graphs mate.

Reading between the lines, these speakers have more than lived up to your expectations, which is what its all about. Congrats again mate.

Well there you go, I didn't know they were Eton drivers. I suppose these are the crap ones that someone else rejected. ;)

#14 Drizt

Drizt

AV Forums Member

• 5,930 posts

Posted 27 November 2009 - 05:30 AM

Well there you go, I didn't know they were Eton drivers. I suppose these are the crap ones that someone else rejected. ;)

hehe, not sure what you mean there. Is John West involved?

Hope you didn't take my post the wrong way regarding the Eton drivers? All I was acknowledging was that a 9" low excursion bass driver will never be able to do bass like your subs with larger drivers with large amounts of excursion.

My speakers have Eton midrange drivers, so our speakers are long lost cousins of sorts :)

Edited by Drizt, 27 November 2009 - 05:32 AM.

#15 dantan

dantan

AV Forums Member

• 3,760 posts

Posted 27 November 2009 - 10:09 AM

They're not everyones cup of tea, like most things, you have those that like them, and others that loath them.

The invite to listen is still open. :)

I am sure that I shall be one of those that likes them.

Thanks very much, mate. Next time I am in Melbourne (should be in the first half of next year), I shall be sure to try to make sure I get an opportunity to come round and listen to them.

Dan.

#16 Drizt

Drizt

AV Forums Member

• 5,930 posts

Posted 29 November 2009 - 06:19 PM

Spearmint, how are they treating you running full range ?

Looking forward to some more reports on their sound.

#17 Spearmint

Spearmint

AV Forums Member

• 4,297 posts

Posted 05 December 2009 - 07:50 AM

Spearmint, how are they treating you running full range ?

Looking forward to some more reports on their sound.

Drizt they're sounding very sweet to my ears at the moment.

#18 Spearmint

Spearmint

AV Forums Member

• 4,297 posts

Posted 05 December 2009 - 08:03 AM

If anyone is interested the new cabinet got assembled and installed last night. I'd like to thank Luckydog for coming over and giving me a hand with the 100kg cabinet and 44kg centre speaker.

New Cabinet

Rack as it currently looks

Front of room

Back of room

Next on the list I think will be some new custom length cables, after I change a few things around and install the balance of my toys.

The Turntable may need to wait for another time.

#19 Drizt

Drizt

AV Forums Member

• 5,930 posts

Posted 05 December 2009 - 08:47 AM

New Cabinet
Front of room

Looking fantastic mate. That new cabinet really suits :)

#20 :)

AV Forums Member

• 31,392 posts

Posted 05 December 2009 - 10:41 AM

If anyone is interested the new cabinet got assembled and installed last night. I'd like to thank Luckydog for coming over and giving me a hand with the 100kg cabinet and 44kg centre speaker.

New Cabinet

Front of room

Back of room

Next on the list I think will be some new custom length cables, after I change a few things around and install the balance of my toys.

has really come together very nicely spearmint, the new cabinet and moving the smaller subs to the back really tidyed things up :)

#21 ...

AV Forums Member

• 8,285 posts

Posted 05 December 2009 - 08:33 PM

New Cabinet

Front of room

Back of room

Cool! :)

The whole setup has come together very nicely and I bet you're happy you left the subs in their current finish.

Now the pics are up, I'm putting together a listing for the gallery thread. ;)

#22 :)

AV Forums Member

• 31,392 posts

Posted 05 December 2009 - 09:34 PM

Had the pleasure of popping by spearmints place today :)

Got to experience the Adams in all their splendour !

and they are beautifully well put together speakers. you wouldnt be able to fault them in anyway. Extremely stylish and you can see the german precision in the fit and finish.

the black with silver highlight finish spearmint has gone for works very nicely. And they fit in very well in the room. The centre is one serious thing and with the speakers makes for one hell of a front stage.

we listened to some music, the test disc with the f1 track and st germain, a bit of sam mclain plus a henry mancini instrumental. They have very clean and clear sound, wiht a nice rendition of vocals. image really well too from front back depth to width and able to reproduce a 3D rendition. A very listenable speaker I think, something that isnt tiring and with a sound thats hard to fault.

Listened to some ht next and it all gell'd very well together with a cohesive though never overwhelming sound.

Something spearmint I think you can be very proud of, thanks for the opportunity to experience and great to catch up as well and have a bit of a yak !

ps the new equiment cabinet is a really nice thing too, certainly got me thinking about my own unit and the DIY one I'm half way through putting together ! :)

#23 Spearmint

Spearmint

AV Forums Member

• 4,297 posts

Posted 05 December 2009 - 10:40 PM

Cool! :)

The whole setup has come together very nicely and I bet you're happy you left the subs in their current finish.

Now the pics are up, I'm putting together a listing for the gallery thread. ;)

No worries, and thank you.

Had the pleasure of popping by spearmints place today :)

Got to experience the Adams in all their splendour !

and they are beautifully well put together speakers. you wouldnt be able to fault them in anyway. Extremely stylish and you can see the german precision in the fit and finish.

the black with silver highlight finish spearmint has gone for works very nicely. And they fit in very well in the room. The centre is one serious thing and with the speakers makes for one hell of a front stage.

we listened to some music, the test disc with the f1 track and st germain, a bit of sam mclain plus a henry mancini instrumental. They have very clean and clear sound, wiht a nice rendition of vocals. image really well too from front back depth to width and able to reproduce a 3D rendition. A very listenable speaker I think, something that isnt tiring and with a sound thats hard to fault.

Listened to some ht next and it all gell'd very well together with a cohesive though never overwhelming sound.

Something spearmint I think you can be very proud of, thanks for the opportunity to experience and great to catch up as well and have a bit of a yak !

ps the new equiment cabinet is a really nice thing too, certainly got me thinking about my own unit and the DIY one I'm half way through putting together ! :)

Thank you for the kind words Al. They are very much appreciated.

#24 SimonNo10

SimonNo10

AV Forums Member

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,355 posts

Posted 06 December 2009 - 09:30 AM

Just stunning mate well done. They look very serious and beautiful and I'm sure they sound incredible. That centre channel looks intimidating. Awesome setup.

#25 Spearmint

Spearmint

AV Forums Member

• 4,297 posts

Posted 07 December 2009 - 05:19 AM

Just stunning mate well done. They look very serious and beautiful and I'm sure they sound incredible. That centre channel looks intimidating. Awesome setup.

Thank you.

I got to hear their bigger brothers yesterday the Tensor Betas, WOW IMO they are really nice. Quite a step up in performance, along with a lovely room, and beautiful toys driving them. A great system. :wub: