• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 willwalk

willwalk

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPip
  • 450 posts

Posted 18 October 2009 - 10:21 PM

Here is a new webpage concerning the issues on NT Television stations (No I am not bagging southerners) it is local issues concerning TV stations in NT.

Questions, rumors and issues can be found on webpage.

It can be found on http://www.ww1971.com/NTTVissues.htm

William Walker

#2 newtaste

newtaste

AV Forum Member

• PipPip
  • 255 posts

Posted 18 October 2009 - 11:05 PM

Here is a new webpage concerning the issues on NT Television stations (No I am not bagging southerners) it is local issues concerning TV stations in NT.

Questions, rumors and issues can be found on webpage.

William Walker

After Imparja failed to buy Nine Darwin a while ago, PBL Media said that Nine Darwin was not for sale so currently there is no way WIN can buy it.

Imparja said they dropped Ten programs to save money. Meant they only have to pay one affiliation fee, not two.

Ownership changes to Ten Mildura were only because of an ACMA order - MMG swapped an asset with Prime. After MMG won a Federal Court appeal, the forced ownership changes to Ten Darwin and Ten Tasmania and the change to Ten Mildura, were reversed. MMG has stated they are best suited to own 50% of Tasmania and Darwin.

But, who really knows what will happen! Nine owner PBL Media has a massive debt load they seemingly can't pay back, and it was reported last week that Bruce Gordon the owner of WIN Television has plans to float WIN on the stock exchange. So if PBL goes bust, and Gordon sells down his ownership in WIN, it may all change.

Edited by newtaste, 18 October 2009 - 11:24 PM.

#3 willwalk

willwalk

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPip
  • 450 posts

Posted 18 October 2009 - 11:31 PM

Imparja said they dropped Ten programs to save money. Meant they only have to pay one affiliation fee, not two.

WIN WA can show nine and ten network programs. WIN had a stake in Ten stating the reason for showing both Nine and Ten network proograms?

I wonder if SC central can show seven and ten programs? SC Darwin did so until early this year, just after DDT arrived. SC Darwin, SC central(?) and SC Tasmania showed both AFL from seven and ten this year when showing AFL on Saturdays. Dunno if they will do that next year.

William Walker

Edited by willwalk, 18 October 2009 - 11:34 PM.

#4 willwalk

willwalk

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPip
  • 450 posts

Posted 20 October 2009 - 03:42 PM

Today I read a very interesting article in NT News today.

It states a letter to the editor stating that TV stations must lift game. I cannot type exactly what he said, but I can interpret the meaning of what he said.

That person was responding to Austar's plan to introduce new channels in the NT from next month. He fears that Imparja and Southern cross could cease to exist, because those stations are leaving the digital conversion plans til too late. He suspects that the viewers might vote with their feet and not bother viewing Imparja and SC Central because they are deeply disappointed with those stations. No commerical HD, no high resolution or widescreen. He says he would not be surprised to see SC Central and Imparja cease to exist the way things are unless they lift their game.

Anybody seen the article in today's NT news dated 20 October 2009?

William Walker

#5 digitalj

digitalj

AV Forum Member

• 12,947 posts

Posted 20 October 2009 - 04:56 PM

I'm going to have to take a guess and say that it was actually you who put that letter to the editor in. :ninja:

#6 willwalk

willwalk

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPip
  • 450 posts

Posted 20 October 2009 - 07:13 PM

I'm going to have to take a guess and say that it was actually you who put that letter to the editor in. :ninja:

No it wasn't me. It was a person from Bentley Park, QLD. A suburb of cairns. Anybody from Darwin read that letter?

However I did reply to a lady from Palmerston that GO! won't launch in Darwin til 2010 in a SMS reply in NT News. This is a different letter to the one I referred to the person from QLD writting that letter above. She was asking why ONE HD and GO! don't exist in Darwin yet.

William Walker

Edited by willwalk, 20 October 2009 - 07:43 PM.

#7 dryfry

dryfry

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPipPip
  • 728 posts

Posted 23 October 2009 - 02:33 PM

Try living in Bunbury Kalgoorlie or Geraldton . Cities in their own right and only ABC and SBS available in Digital.
Golden Worst Network and Woefully Inadequate Network are in analogue in the main population centres .

#8 willwalk

willwalk

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPip
  • 450 posts

Posted 23 October 2009 - 09:10 PM

Try living in Bunbury Kalgoorlie or Geraldton . Cities in their own right and only ABC and SBS available in Digital.
Golden Worst Network and Woefully Inadequate Network are in analogue in the main population centres .

The same applies to Alice springs, mount isa and Katherine. Stubborn Cross Central and (uninspiring) imparja are also in analague in those area as well.

I guess most people in those areas won't invest in set top boxes or new digital tv in those areas until 2013 or later, they will say it is a waste of money. i know of some areas of Darwin who won't invest in digital tv because of reception problems particularly near the city. Where is the digital transmitter promised for Darwin North? It was first promised years ago.

William Walker

#9 willwalk

willwalk

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPip
  • 450 posts

Posted 31 October 2009 - 04:23 PM

Following the report in NT News dated 30 October 2009 regarding 7 two pending arrival in Darwin, I have updated the NT Television issue page to welcome the 1st Freeview digital TV multichannel from a commerical TV station in the Northern Territory, 7 two and to correct previous comments about digital plans for Alice and Central Australia.

William Walker

#10 wilrc1

wilrc1

AV Forum Member

• Pip
  • 83 posts

Posted 01 November 2009 - 08:25 PM

Following the report in NT News dated 30 October 2009 regarding 7 two pending arrival in Darwin, I have updated the NT Television issue page to welcome the 1st Freeview digital TV multichannel from a commerical TV station in the Northern Territory, 7 two and to correct previous comments about digital plans for Alice and Central Australia.

William Walker

Your website is basically just a rant about a number of issues... why are you so against PBL? WIN is no subsitute, you have a 30min local news service produced locally... dont you think it would be easier to sack everyone (like WIN would do) and take a feed from Melb, Syd or Bris?
SCB is taking 7two but dont you think the quality of the current SCTV will be reduced to cater for the extra fibre bandwidth? I would say there is a 90% chance that the bit rate for both SCTV Darwin and 7two will be lower than the current service.