• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 willwalk

willwalk

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPip
  • 450 posts

Posted 17 October 2009 - 11:28 PM

Central Australia will be stuck with the old signal and without channel ten until the end of 2012 or 2013. Mount isa and alice could start a bit earlier in either 2011 or 2012 then the remote areas will come last or all areas will see the change over at the same time.

That will be the same time as when the old signal is switched off.

By the time of the switchover the old signal will be replaced by a SD version of Imparja, SC Central and possibly a JV (Ten) - JV might come later or at the same time. No HD to start with and possibly no GO! or seven's 2nd channel for that area til at a later date.

So that means digital TV for imparja and southern cross central will not start in remote areas til the old signal is switched off.

Darwin started going digital in late 2001 with ABC & SBS, early 2003 with Nine, and SC starting digital in september 2003, hard to believe the big gap between Darwin and Central australia. Even HD in Darwin started in 2005, i can't explain why it started so early with central australia starting so late. I know Darwin is a captial city but why the wide gap between Darwin and the rest of NT?

Anyway even though Nine leaves a very lot to be desired, it is still much better than Imparja would ever be.

William Walker

Edited by willwalk, 17 October 2009 - 11:36 PM.

#2 alanh

alanh

AV Forum Member

• 12,597 posts

Posted 18 October 2009 - 11:48 AM

William,
Remote Areas of east, central and West Australia will have there analog switch off in the last half of 2013. Digital will have to commence pror to that, so with the costs involved I would assume that transmissions will not start until 2013.

Don't make assumptions on what programs will be provided. This is up to the DBCDE/ACMA and whether there is a change to DVB-S2 or not. This would enable more programs or HD.

AlanHd