• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 matthew_fitzy

matthew_fitzy

AV Forum Member

• 18 posts

Posted 30 August 2009 - 01:29 PM

Hi guys

Sorry if this is in the wrong section or if it has been covered but I have not been able to find any other threads with this similar issue.

In this newish unit I am renting, I notice that the living room only has a socket for foxtel IQ. There is no outlet for normal TV (aerial). The only aerial socket for free to air TV is in the bedroom. This means I am unable to receive free to air TV in full HD on my main TV in the living room.

Is the only way for me to receive full HD on my living room TV is to run a splitter and a cable from the bedroom wall outlet to the living room TV?

Is there any other options available? I notice Dick Smith have two products:
- Digital indoor TV antenna
- Digital Outdoor Indoor TV antenna

What is the difference between each and would it be worth using one?

Is it odd that there is no FTA socket in the living room for such a new unit complex?

I am not too educated in this area, all advice appreciated.

Thanks!

#2 mtv

mtv

AV Forum Member

• 6,047 posts

Posted 30 August 2009 - 03:49 PM

Hi guys

Sorry if this is in the wrong section or if it has been covered but I have not been able to find any other threads with this similar issue.

In this newish unit I am renting, I notice that the living room only has a socket for foxtel IQ. There is no outlet for normal TV (aerial). The only aerial socket for free to air TV is in the bedroom. This means I am unable to receive free to air TV in full HD on my main TV in the living room.

Is the only way for me to receive full HD on my living room TV is to run a splitter and a cable from the bedroom wall outlet to the living room TV?

Is there any other options available? I notice Dick Smith have two products:
- Digital indoor TV antenna
- Digital Outdoor Indoor TV antenna

What is the difference between each and would it be worth using one?

Is it odd that there is no FTA socket in the living room for such a new unit complex?

I am not too educated in this area, all advice appreciated.

Thanks!

Basically the indoor/outdoor version is a weatherproof indoor antenna. It doesn't work any better than the indoor-only version, with the exception that by being able to place it outdoors increses the positioning options.

As with any 'indoor' antenna, they will only work if you have very good/excellent signals where the antenna is placed.

You could try one....... DSE have a 14 day refund policy, so you can return it if it doesn't work.

They are no substitute for a correctly-selected and installed roof-mounted antenna for reliable digital reception.

One has to wonder if your original FTA oultet in the living room was 'taken over' by Foxtel... using the existing cable, as you say, it is unusual for a bedroom-only FTA outlet.

You are also correct that the easiest solution is a splitter and another outlet installed (or temporarily on a long cable) to the living room.... providing there is sufficient signal available to cover the loss of the splitter and cable run.

If you do go down that track, ensure you use an F type splitter and RG6 Quadshield coax for lowest loss and rejection of interference getting into the cable.

#3 audiohobbs

audiohobbs

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPipPip
  • 797 posts

Posted 30 August 2009 - 07:22 PM

You are also correct that the easiest solution is a splitter and another outlet installed (or temporarily on a long cable) to the living room.... providing there is sufficient signal available to cover the loss of the splitter and cable run.

If you do go down that track, ensure you use an F type splitter and RG6 Quadshield coax for lowest loss and rejection of interference getting into the cable.

Good summary, could also add a small amplifier/splitter to ensure a decent signal carried into the lounge. I'd be tempted to go this route as the OP can easily take the cable when he leaves the rented unit. Who knows when they may come in handy again in the rental market?

Cheers,

Al.

#4 Timmy Downawell

Timmy Downawell

AV Forum Member

• 3,849 posts

Posted 30 August 2009 - 10:58 PM

I notice that the living room only has a socket for foxtel IQ. There is no outlet for normal TV (aerial). The only aerial socket for free to air TV is in the bedroom. This means I am unable to receive free to air TV in full HD on my main TV in the living room.

Are you sure the living room connection is Foxtel? The only outlet in my friend's apartment is an F-type one and I assumed it was Foxtel but it turned out to be a regular antenna outlet. You can pick up an F-type to regular RF cable from a $2 shop or Dickies etc.

If the outlet is marked Foxtel then please disregard.

#5 M'bozo

M'bozo

AV Forum Member

• 2,799 posts

Posted 30 August 2009 - 11:02 PM

That depends on the construction of the unit, the way the signal is distributed in your unit, whether there is access to the coaxial cabling within your unit, or only in the complex etc. etc.

You could possibly have another cable run to the foxtel outlet, split from the bedroom fta feed, and teminated on a dual fta/pay wall plate.. Assuming that you are getting fta in the bedroom, of course. And assuming that digital fta signals are available as well.

It is also possible, if foxtel is delivered via satellite, to diplex fta signals onto the foxtel cable & split them at the outlet.

Both require some skill in achieving, and since you mention this is a rented unit, may require permissions form appropriate people.

Edit: The poster has mentioned elsewhere the foxtel outlet has an iq connected, and the bedroom has a tube tv for fta signals connected to it.

Edited by M'bozo, 31 August 2009 - 06:57 AM.