glow

AV Forum Member

• Pip
  • 123 posts

Posted 27 August 2009 - 11:57 PM

Saw these new models splashed across LG's Aussie homepage
MS408D 250GB $999
MS409D 500GB $1199

Some of the captions say "Wireless Network DVD/HDD Recorder with Twin HD Tuner" but there's no mention of DVD in the specs, only HDD.
Couldn't find any reviews with a quick google.

They list a few features that I wish I had on my Wiz
- FLV playback
- Youtube
- Wireless 802.11n
- jpeg (assuming it can do better than a Wiz)

Key Features

* Twin HD Tuner (Simultaneous Record & Play)
* WiFi (Wireless Network File Sharing)
* Expansion HDD Bay
* 500GB Built-in Hard Drive
* USB Plus (Music, Picture & Video)
* YouTube & Picasa Access
* CIFS (Common Internet File System)
* DLNA (Digital Living Network Alliance)

Tuner

8 Day EPG Yes
Hard Drive Capacity 500GB
Tuner Type MPEG 2/4
Twin HD Tuner DVB-T

AV Decoding
Video Codec MPEG 1/2/4, AVI, Xvid, WMV9, H.264, VC-1
Video Resolution up to 1080p
Audio Codec MP3, WMA, AAC, Ogg, DTS, PCM, AC3, M4A, Flac (2Ch)

Playable File Formats
Video DivX 3-7, Xvid (SD), FLV, MPG, HD DivX, WMV9 HD, MP2 TS, H.264 ts/avi, MKV
Audio MP3, WMA, AAC, Ogg, PCM, AC3, M4A, Flac
Image Jpeg HD, Jpeg, BMP

Recording / Data Management (Copy or Transfer File To/From)
HDD ↔ USB Yes
HDD ↔ Network Yes
HDD ↔ External HDD Yes
Schedule Program Record 1 Month
EPG Program Record 8 Days
Instant Program Record Yes
Simultaneous 2 channel Record Yes

Additional Features
YouTube Connectivity Yes
Picasa Access Yes
CIFS (Common Internet File System) Yes

Connections (Front Panel)
USB Port (2.0) Yes (1)
Expansion HDD Bay Yes (1)

Connections (Rear Panel)
Video Out (Composite) Yes (1)
Video Out (Component) Yes (1)
Video Out (HDMI v.1.3) Yes (1)
Video Out (USB Port (2.0)) Yes (1)
Audio Out (Analogue Audio L/R) Yes (1)
Audio Out (Coaxial) Yes (1)
Audio Out (Optical) Yes (1)
Local Area Network (Ethernet RJ45) Yes (1)
Wireless 802.11B/G/N Yes
Peer to Peer or Infrastructure Yes
WEP security Yes
Antenna In/Out Yes
WiFi Dongle Yes (1)

Edited by glow, 28 August 2009 - 08:32 PM.

#2 cwt

cwt

AV Forum Member

• 5,700 posts

Posted 28 August 2009 - 03:01 AM

Very nice glow ; hope its as reliable as my 5402 was .The swap out front loader hdd is unique . CIFS sounds intrigueing..

http://searchcio-mid...i213851,00.html

Couldnt find a manual :(

#3 diesel

diesel

AV Forum Member

• 13,787 posts

Posted 28 August 2009 - 08:40 AM

Looks very interesting. I like the look of;

video playback up to 1080p
DNLA
Wireless "N"

I wonder if the "Peer to Peer Infrastructure" means you can stream/share files between networked units like the Wiz?

BTW, cwt didn't the Strong HD PVR 5490 have a swap out drive bay?

#4 cwt

cwt

AV Forum Member

• 5,700 posts

Posted 28 August 2009 - 04:20 PM

Looks very interesting. I like the look of;

video playback up to 1080p
DNLA
Wireless "N"

I wonder if the "Peer to Peer Infrastructure" means you can stream/share files between networked units like the Wiz?

BTW, cwt didn't the Strong HD PVR 5490 have a swap out drive bay?

Under specifications is this diesel; streaming is the question ?

RECORDING / DATA MANAGEMENT (COPY OR TRANSFER FILE TO/FROM)
HDD ↔ USBYesHDD ↔ NetworkYesHDD ↔ External HDDYesSchedule Program Record1 MonthEPG Program Record8 DaysInstant Program RecordYesSimultaneous 2 channel RecordYes

The 5490 did have a swappable hdd bay your spot on diesel ; but needed unscrewing iirc ; this looks a lot easier .

The easy-to-use detachable hard drive is great for the secure storage of larger files. It supports the 3.5 inch SATA format expandable up to a maximum of 1TB. It's easy to install, so there will be no need for screws or hard work. Simply attach and start saving your media.

Edited by cwt, 28 August 2009 - 04:51 PM.

#5 diesel

diesel

AV Forum Member

• 13,787 posts

Posted 28 August 2009 - 04:34 PM

Yeah, I haven't seen the web pages for the unit yet. The LGE pages keep corrupting and closing when I try and open them.

#6 Peaceful

Peaceful

AV Forum Member

• PipPip
  • 153 posts

Posted 29 August 2009 - 07:05 AM

The 5490 did have a swappable hdd bay your spot on diesel ; but needed unscrewing iirc ; this looks a lot easier .

I have such a Strong and I would describe it's hard drive as an easily replaceable but fixed item.

This new PVR, judging by the words "Expansion HDD Bay - Yes" and "500GB Built-in Hard Drive", should be capable of TWO drives. Hard to believe, though.

Cheers

#7 diesel

diesel

AV Forum Member

• 13,787 posts

Posted 29 August 2009 - 08:59 PM

This new PVR, judging by the words "Expansion HDD Bay - Yes" and "500GB Built-in Hard Drive", should be capable of TWO drives. Hard to believe, though.

Don't most...allowing the use of a USB HDD, and some even allow NAS and PC HDDs via a network.

#8 cwt

cwt

AV Forum Member

• 5,700 posts

Posted 30 August 2009 - 03:58 AM

Don't most...allowing the use of a USB HDD, and some even allow NAS and PC HDDs via a network.

Be nice if one wasnt hanging of a cord diesel;kicking around the place for some I spose . One reason my P1 is networked :)

#9 glow

glow

AV Forum Member

• Pip
  • 123 posts

Posted 30 August 2009 - 10:40 AM

LGE confirmed that these are not DVD players/recorders so the captions are clearly wrong on the website.
Same mistake at a retail site
Betta Products: LG DVD Recorders - MS408D

#10 glow

glow

AV Forum Member

• Pip
  • 123 posts

Posted 02 September 2009 - 01:42 PM

LG have now corrected the captions and removed the reference to DVD (though it's still in the URL).

#11 cwt

cwt

AV Forum Member

• 5,700 posts

Posted 05 September 2009 - 01:46 AM

Bit more info on the expansion bay :)

http://www.cnet.com....r-339298308.htm

#12 glow

glow

AV Forum Member

• Pip
  • 123 posts

Posted 05 September 2009 - 04:01 PM

I didn't notice the "Two Times Playback" feature on the website but it sounds interesting....

http://www.current.c...-DVR/LLJAZZLYEB

...the MS400 Series also has ‘Two Times Playback’ functionality, which allows users to watch recorded programs at twice the normal speed, with no drop in quality.
“A lot of people in this day and age are very time poor and this will save consumers valuable time,” he said.
“The unit re-syncs the sound and brings it down to regular pitch. This can dramatically reduce your viewing time, whilst still comprehending everything.”

#13 moviebug

moviebug

AV Forum Member

• 15 posts

Posted 07 September 2009 - 12:59 PM

now these are more interesting than the Topfield 2400...

Given the record with their 370 and 390 blu-ray players recently...
those players could play divx , mp3, avchd, blu-ray well...

..these 408 and 409 have 1080p output ..unlike the Toppy which only does 1080i
and with the ability to slide in a hard drive for extra storage/recording space
..and supposed ability to transfer files from hd to another hd or network
plus looks like it plays many different formats

409 is supposedly around $900 according to my local HN man

should be here in next few weeks...I am definitely interested
and will be testing it out

#14 glow

glow

AV Forum Member

• Pip
  • 123 posts

Posted 11 September 2009 - 08:13 PM

Saw they had plenty of both models at Bing Lee Rhodes today.
Unfortunately they weren't hooked up to a TV.
They certainly look good - much better than Beyonwiz DP-S1 beside them.

It's no wonder the LG website thought they were DVD recorders - the HDD expansion bay pops open like a DVD player. Only difference is instead of popping in a 9GB DVD with one movie, you can drop in a 1TB hard disk for all your movies.

The wireless is a USB dongle which you plug into the rear USB port.
Still haven't found an online manual...

#15 SMC

SMC

AV Forum Member

• 28 posts

Posted 12 September 2009 - 12:36 PM

Hello All, its been very long time since I have posted on here. In fact last time was about 3.5yrs ago when I first brought the LG LST 5403. Unfortunately on Thursday night the LG just died. Did not power up at all, thought it might have been the HDD or something similar but couldn’t be really bothered looking into the problem. I thought 3.5yrs of trouble free usage and we were very big users of the PVR were long enough. During the 3.5 years we didn’t experience any of the issues some other users have reported on this forum. I guess we were one of the lucky ones.

Over the last couple of days i have been researching and reading up on the latest PVR’s available. I narrowed it down to choices the TF7100 or the BW DP2, i did also notice that LG had released a new PVR on the market on Thursday night; I thought could this be fate? There is not a lot information on the LG unit so i couldn’t compare it to the other brands mentioned above. I was aware of the issues, and positive and negative experiences users have so far with the PVR’s. Driving to the shops this morning I was determined to come home with some sort of PVR despite all the negative information posted on the various sites on the WWW.

Anyways cutting a very long story short of viewing PVR’s, talking to sale guys, haggling on price, I ended up buying the LG. I could not go past positive experience we had with LST 5403. I loved everything about it, and overlooked some of the draw backs it had, for our requirements it was perfect, this experience was the major factor in deciding to go with another LG PVR.

The unit has been plugged in for about an hour and so far im very impressed, setting it up took about 5mins for it scan channels, a couple of more mins to have it displaying 1080i and we were done. I did notice it comes with a wireless LAN adaptor which i thought was cool..

Anyways sorry for the long post, i will go have bit more of a play now and report. Back a little later.

SMC

#16 diesel

diesel

AV Forum Member

• 13,787 posts

Posted 12 September 2009 - 02:30 PM

Anyways sorry for the long post, i will go have bit more of a play now and report. Back a little later.

Look forward to a user review SMC - warts and all.

The PVR market is certainly hotting up with some promising models just released and hopefully more to come!

#17 cwt

cwt

AV Forum Member

• 5,700 posts

Posted 12 September 2009 - 02:47 PM

Thanks smc congrats. I have good feelings about this one too having had a very reliable 5402 . Just 2 questions ;does it have a native resolution output ie defeat any deinterlacing /scaling ;what goes in comes out ? and does it output dolby digital from the hdmi without hooking up a sp dif output ? Hope the manual is comprehensive the last one was a bit iffy :huh:

#18 Awinnah

Awinnah

AV Forum Member

• 2 posts

Posted 12 September 2009 - 03:15 PM

I too purchased a MS409D last night. Hooked it all up, had a good play around on youtube. Reading up more on the manual today. At first I was concerned that it did not have a DVD recorder, but never recorded to DVD on my old DVD recorder.

#19 tonymartin

tonymartin

AV Forum Member

• 2 posts

Posted 14 September 2009 - 01:42 PM

Can you confirm does the LG have a time skip function? (as in skip forward 3 minutes, forward and back 10 seconds etc). The LG looks like just what I'm after but only if it can skip ads.

I can't find this info on the features list, the guy in Bing Lee didn't know. He got the instruction manual out and from a quick look I couldn't find the button for it in the manual.

Tony

#20 SMC

SMC

AV Forum Member

• 28 posts

Posted 14 September 2009 - 02:52 PM

Hello,
Well that was an interesting couple of days for me. I won’t bore you all with the details, so here goes.

After playing around with the features of the LG for one night I thought wow this is a very impressive bit of equipment, the UI is really sexy and very easy to use. Set it up all tuned it away we went, thats where it kind of ended it for me really.

First major issue i suffered from the unit was:

If the unit is switched off or input is changed on the plasma i.e switched input to DVD or similar, when you switch back to view the LG the output resolution to drops to 576i on my plasma a Pioneer. If you connect the LG via HDMI it defaults to “AUTO” mode and will display resolution best suited to your TV, not sure 576i was the best resolution on my plasma. It talks about this setting in the user manual under “output resolution”, so now not sure if this a fault of the LG or my plasma. However it was very annoying and very frustrating that i had to re-rest the resolution every time the unit was switched of etc...

The other thing I found really hard to deal with was the way it handles the recorded files from FTA broadcasts. Took me forever to work out where to find them initially, i guess this could be the user, lets just say it not very logical. Also moving recorded files into folders seems also very impossible, but after about 15mins of creating files and a lot of stuffing about, i got it. No real logic in process involved here.

No favourites list for channel’s , it does have them marked and put into a favourites folder, but when change channel it goes through the whole list??
Last thing for me what quality of the picture it outputs, left me somewhat “meehhhh” no deep colours, bit wahshiiee, and i noticed a lot of “pixilation”, when comparing it to the LG LST that was very disappointing for me..

And just generally, anything to do with watching or recording TV just seemed all too hard and not very easy to do....

However, the unit does do something’s very well:

Connecting via WiFi was easy both on the iPhone and notebook were up and running within min’s.

Moving files from a usb drive or iPhone to the LD HDD was easy. Even though it would just dump the files in the “main folder” then take you another 15mins to set up a folder and copy the files over again...

Viewing files via USB was also painless and very fast in displaying them, again picture quality was a bit well not there..

Tried playing a .AVI file, it worked but with no sound?? All of the AVI files i tired to play had the same issue??

I guess the best way I can describe the LG is, it is a “Media Centre” first and a “PVR” second. So since I wanted a PVR I returned the LG.

Foolishly I then went and purchased a TF 7100, which lasted in my house a whole 13mins literally. I won’t go into the issues I had in the WHOLE 13mins, but i took it back quick smart.

I ended up with a BW DP P1, which i know is a old model and all the rest, but the price I managed to get it for, and what our requirements are seemed perfect. I’m happy to say the BW has so far blown me away, in and most importantly the picture quality is awesome, even better then the LG LST.

Just to note that this whole experience is just mine, in no way should this be taken as a reflection on the LG unit, some people might love it and not have any issues on how it does things and some of the other things I mentioned above.

Thanks
SMC

#21 cwt

cwt

AV Forum Member

• 5,700 posts

Posted 14 September 2009 - 07:38 PM

Much appreciated SMC ; with it selecting 576i on auto ;that would be correct if on a sd channel ;but if it doesnt go to 1080i on 7 or 9 hd somethings up ;) . It seems that auto doesnt supply what your pio's edid is requesting [it shouldnt be 576i] . Auto should be using the lg's scaler to give whatever edid it needs ie 720p/768p/1080i/1080p .

If its stuck on 576i that would explain the picture quality maybe :huh: The 5402 had a similar illogical folder sub menu ;) . No 'favourites' button ? The 5402 had a very good picture shame about this ones decoder . The p1 is a gem isnt it ; each new firmware it just gets better ; something you dont get with major ce manufacturers :)

#22 Peaceful

Peaceful

AV Forum Member

• PipPip
  • 153 posts

Posted 15 September 2009 - 07:00 AM

I have such a Strong and I would describe it's hard drive as an easily replaceable but fixed item.

Cheers

OK, so now I believe. Must be the only PVR in captivity that has two hard drives contained in the box!

Cheers, David

#23 diesel

diesel

AV Forum Member

• 13,787 posts

Posted 15 September 2009 - 01:37 PM

OK, so now I believe. Must be the only PVR in captivity that has two hard drives contained in the box!

I'm not convinced. I reckon what they are saying is that there is a 250GB model and a 500GB model and the HDD can be easily upgraded to 1TB.

#24 glow

glow

AV Forum Member

• Pip
  • 123 posts

Posted 15 September 2009 - 09:58 PM

I'm not convinced. I reckon what they are saying is that there is a 250GB model and a 500GB model and the HDD can be easily upgraded to 1TB.

I saw the expansion bay on a display model at Bing Lee Rhodes and it was actually empty (just like the picture in the cnet article). The PVRs come in 250GB and 500GB and you can add an extra drive up to 1TB yourself so your PVR can end up having two HDDs inside. Someone who has actually bought one can easily confirm.

#25 SMC

SMC

AV Forum Member

• 28 posts

Posted 15 September 2009 - 10:21 PM

Much appreciated SMC ; with it selecting 576i on auto ;that would be correct if on a sd channel ;but if it doesnt go to 1080i on 7 or 9 hd somethings up ;) . It seems that auto doesnt supply what your pio's edid is requesting [it shouldnt be 576i] . Auto should be using the lg's scaler to give whatever edid it needs ie 720p/768p/1080i/1080p .

If its stuck on 576i that would explain the picture quality maybe :huh: The 5402 had a similar illogical folder sub menu ;) . No 'favourites' button ? The 5402 had a very good picture shame about this ones decoder . The p1 is a gem isnt it ; each new firmware it just gets better ; something you dont get with major ce manufacturers :)

the whole "auto setting" was painful really. i tired both hd and sd channels, it wouldnt matter not sure what LG was thinking there, i would love to hear from other users if they had the same issue?

Um, even when on 1080i picture quality was a bit flat and "lifeless" just wasnt what i was use to coming from the LG LST. (all subjective i know). However looking at the TV now via the P1 just WOW really. Upgraded the FW on the P1 it just got even better :).

As for the HDD capacity its comes with a 250 or 500, plus you have the expansion bay which is empty, you have to buy an additional HDD.

SMC