• Please log in to reply
44 replies to this topic

#26 willwalk

willwalk

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPip
  • 450 posts

Posted 06 September 2009 - 07:33 PM

Austar and Foxtel use the same satellite so I think the same dish should work. I would probably go and see a satellite installer in Darwin (just search for satellite in Darwin on the Yellow pages site) And request a quote for the smallest recommended satellite dish aligned to Optus C1.

Try and have a look at somebody else's satellite dish that has Austar (not SelecTv as that uses one of the Intelsat satellites) and that will give you an indication on the size required. Because you are in the top end the dish might need to be larger as In Tassie we can get away with a 95cm dish but I think the further north you go it gets bigger but the local people will know.

Alista

Up here I had a look at satellite dish, the majority of them are austar dishes, pointing due east (either northeast, east or southeast) depending on the optus c1 position, and those are on the roof.

The bigger the dish, the more expensive it gets? Correct? I had a look in yellow pages and they are heaps of shops that sell satellite dishes here

William Walker

#27 rfnetsolns

rfnetsolns

AV Forum Member

• 9 posts

Posted 06 September 2009 - 07:57 PM

Up here I had a look at satellite dish, the majority of them are austar dishes, pointing due east (either northeast, east or southeast) depending on the optus c1 position, and those are on the roof.

The bigger the dish, the more expensive it gets? Correct? I had a look in yellow pages and they are heaps of shops that sell satellite dishes here

William Walker

Ask around your neighbourhood some people got rid of Austar and have dishes available..also you can us a polar mount on a tripod with sandbags, take it in for cyclones though :) No holes no drilling just reel in the cable and stow with dish.

Cheers,
Greg

#28 willwalk

willwalk

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPip
  • 450 posts

Posted 06 September 2009 - 08:25 PM

Ask around your neighbourhood some people got rid of Austar and have dishes available..also you can us a polar mount on a tripod with sandbags, take it in for cyclones though :) No holes no drilling just reel in the cable and stow with dish.

Cheers,
Greg

Yes I did some research on that and see lots of dishes on people's houses. I think the dish on tripod is the way to go given i don't own the property where I live. But what happens during electrical storms, does it get badly damaged by lightning?

William Walker

#29 Alista

Alista

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPipPip
  • 686 posts

Posted 07 September 2009 - 07:36 PM

Yes I did some research on that and see lots of dishes on people's houses. I think the dish on tripod is the way to go given i don't own the property where I live. But what happens during electrical storms, does it get badly damaged by lightning?

William Walker

We have the roof dishes in Tassie as well. We used to have the big dishes (and some people still do) but as far as I know they aren't supplied any more and were phased out years ago. I've heard of some people getting them from garage sales and from the tip.

As long as it's all there and works you can often align them your self. I've also heard that the bigger dishes give more reliable reception in heavy rain and bad weather, as for lightning I think you just unplug the box so it doesn't get fried.

#30 DrP

DrP

AV Forum Member

• 16,740 posts

Posted 07 September 2009 - 08:18 PM

William Walker

If your dish does happen to get struck by lightning you'll find that the STB and probably anything else plugged into the STB will be fried, so damage to the dish / LNB will be the least of your worries.

#31 willwalk

willwalk

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPip
  • 450 posts

Posted 08 September 2009 - 08:10 PM

I've learnt from TV Tonight that GO! will be fully launched on October 4. Not sure if it will arrive in Darwin that day, lets hope so! In a recent article Nine Darwin's manager said it will arrive in Darwin sometime later this year. There's a slight chance that GO! may come to Darwin on October 4 or sometime later. See article on http://www.ntnews.co...331_ntnews.html

But I cannot promise I can only suspect reading from TV Tonight. It doesn't say Darwin but there's a chance it may or may not come to Darwin that day. Let's wait and see.

http://www.tvtonight...systems-go.html

William Walker

#32 willwalk

willwalk

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPip
  • 450 posts

Posted 23 September 2009 - 09:18 PM

I've learnt from TV Tonight that GO! will be fully launched on October 4. Not sure if it will arrive in Darwin that day, lets hope so! In a recent article Nine Darwin's manager said it will arrive in Darwin sometime later this year. There's a slight chance that GO! may come to Darwin on October 4 or sometime later. See article on http://www.ntnews.co...331_ntnews.html

But I cannot promise I can only suspect reading from TV Tonight. It doesn't say Darwin but there's a chance it may or may not come to Darwin that day. Let's wait and see.

http://www.tvtonight...systems-go.html

William Walker

Had a second look at TV Tonight, still no mention of Darwin, it is possible that Darwin may get GO! by late October, by the end of the year or sometime early next year. There hasn't been any announcement as yet, and it is unlikely it will come on the october 4, but it is possible it could come in late october or by the end of the year at the earliest if the comments of Nine management and TV tonight is any guide. Stay tuned for it.

http://www.tvtonight...h-schedule.html

It's possible GO! could be delayed for Darwin, and maybe ONE HD too. Still no word about ONE HD. Networks are keeping it tightly wrapped. I believe they are waiting til the football season wraps up before they start work on plans for Darwin. Hopefully those channels will come online in time for next years football season. But cannot promise anything at this stage, the rest is in the hands of the networks.

William Walker

#33 willwalk

willwalk

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPip
  • 450 posts

Posted 12 October 2009 - 08:21 PM

Tonight I suddenly became a fan of GO! (nine's 2nd channel) on Facebook. I asked about the plans for GO! in relation to Darwin.

It's a small question to ask. Never know how far it can achieve. It might not achieve anything, it might, never know! It doesn't hurt to ask questions on Facebook does it?

It could do the trick, never know! It won't achieve anything overnight, but I'd be very interested to see how far it can achieve. I never know if I never ask.

William Walker

#34 willwalk

willwalk

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPip
  • 450 posts

Posted 12 October 2009 - 09:22 PM

Tonight I suddenly became a fan of GO! (nine's 2nd channel) on Facebook. I asked about the plans for GO! in relation to Darwin.

It's a small question to ask. Never know how far it can achieve. It might not achieve anything, it might, never know! It doesn't hurt to ask questions on Facebook does it?

It could do the trick, never know! It won't achieve anything overnight, but I'd be very interested to see how far it can achieve. I never know if I never ask.

William Walker

And suddenly I became a fan and member of ONE HD on facebook as well. It would be very interesting to see how it can achieve it.

William Walker

#35 digitalj

digitalj

AV Forum Member

• 12,941 posts

Posted 12 October 2009 - 10:20 PM

GO! is listed under Darwin: http://www.freeview....spx?regionId=13

#36 willwalk

willwalk

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPip
  • 450 posts

Posted 12 October 2009 - 10:28 PM

GO! is listed under Darwin: http://www.freeview....spx?regionId=13

Freeview is wrong! I keep repeating Darwin DO NOT have GO! yet. Freeview is misleading!

William Walker

#37 digitalj

digitalj

AV Forum Member

• 12,941 posts

Posted 12 October 2009 - 10:32 PM

Freeview is wrong! I keep repeating Darwin DO NOT have GO! yet. Freeview is misleading!

William Walker

not to mention ABC3 listed for all regions.

#38 willwalk

willwalk

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPip
  • 450 posts

Posted 12 October 2009 - 10:41 PM

not to mention ABC3 listed for all regions.

That one, ABC3 is more correct than GO!

William Walker

#39 newtaste

newtaste

AV Forum Member

• PipPip
  • 251 posts

Posted 14 October 2009 - 02:34 AM

I'm pretty sure that ABC3 will launch nationally whereever ABC Television is broadcasting in digital.

#40 willwalk

willwalk

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPip
  • 450 posts

Posted 14 October 2009 - 03:44 PM

It pays to be a fan of the GO! group on Facebook. I was advised that while no launch date has been set but it is likely to launch in 2010 for Darwin. I am assured there ARE plans to launch GO! in Darwin, but there are reasons for the delays for the launch of GO! here in Darwin.

I was advised there are technicial hurdles to get GO! up and running here in Darwin, and they are trying to iron out the hurdles before the 2010 launch. I now suspect its the same reason why ONE HD also was delayed - stil no date for ONE HD has been set as yet.

I know any delays are disappointing but Darwinites have to be patient and put up with the TV in Darwin. Even when Nine and TEN Darwin as well as SC can put a disappointing performance they ARE still MUCH BETTER than Imparja. Imagine living in Alice or Mount Isa where there is no Channel ten or even a digital version of Imparja there.

I am aware that people are asking where is GO! and ONE HD in Darwin. That's why I suddenly became a fan of GO and ONE HD in Facebook even when these channels don't launch in Darwin yet. I am learning just like everybody else.

Hopefully it will settle the dust and settle the issue once for all. At Least even without ONE HD and GO! Darwinites will STILL get an extra channel by December, called ABC 3, a kids channel.

William Walker

#41 newtaste

newtaste

AV Forum Member

• PipPip
  • 251 posts

Posted 14 October 2009 - 09:55 PM

Do you know when Larrakia TV is going digital?

#42 willwalk

willwalk

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPip
  • 450 posts

Posted 14 October 2009 - 10:50 PM

Do you know when Larrakia TV is going digital?

You mean Imparja TV?

#43 willwalk

willwalk

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPip
  • 450 posts

Posted 14 October 2009 - 11:22 PM

You mean Imparja TV?

I reckon sometime between 2010 and 2013 before the old signal is switched off. I believe they will do a similar rollout to remote and regional WA, and the 3 commericals, Imparja, SC central and Ten (a joint venture between Imparja and SC central) will probably share the single transmitter in the area where ever the stations beam into. LCN for Imparja is likely to be 8, SC Central will be 6 and TEN will be 5. All likely to be SD with HD years later or maybe never.

But that is my guess. The stations might have other ideas.

William Walker

#44 newtaste

newtaste

AV Forum Member

• PipPip
  • 251 posts

Posted 15 October 2009 - 08:31 AM

You mean Imparja TV?

No, i mean the narrowcast television station on UHF Channel 64 in Darwin.

#45 willwalk

willwalk

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPip
  • 450 posts

Posted 15 October 2009 - 04:56 PM

No, i mean the narrowcast television station on UHF Channel 64 in Darwin.

That channel appears to have started last year or a few years back. I haven't heard about that TV station before although I can recall there was a narrowcast channel based on tourism here in Darwin sometime back, not sure if it is still operating or not. so Larrakia TV is not expected to go digital for sometime yet, until possibly around the time the old signal closes. I can only guess but i may be wrong. i don't get that channel as I only watch digital tv. I get the signal from Berrimah. the cables I have at home does not work with old signal very well only digital ones.

You could ask them on http://www.radiolarrakia.org/

Hope it helps

William Walker