• Please log in to reply
44 replies to this topic

#1 willwalk

willwalk

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPip
  • 450 posts

Posted 24 July 2009 - 04:58 PM

In wake of the pending plans for the GO! channel to come to Darwin (I don't know the date yet) I found out my integreted HDTV doesn't have LCN 99 yet, only LCN 9 and 90 for channel nine. When it eventually beams in Darwin is it likely to follow WIN's or NBN's footsteps in having GO! on HD on LCN 90 and then LCN 99 in October? Or just leave GO! on HD only?

William Walker

#2 digitalj

digitalj

AV Forum Member

• 12,949 posts

Posted 24 July 2009 - 05:59 PM

99 probably won't exist until either the day GO! is launched, or just a few days before, give it another week and a half and see then if 99 has appeared.

Edited by digitalj, 24 July 2009 - 05:59 PM.

#3 willwalk

willwalk

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPip
  • 450 posts

Posted 04 August 2009 - 07:58 PM

Anybody in Darwin seen any ads or promotions featuring GO! on channel nine Darwin yet? I'd be disappointed if LCN 99 doesn't appear on my TV tomorrow afternoon. I watch very little of Nine, and when I do I haven't seen the ads or promotions yet?

#4 willwalk

willwalk

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPip
  • 450 posts

Posted 05 August 2009 - 05:47 PM

Anybody in Darwin seen any ads or promotions featuring GO! on channel nine Darwin yet? I'd be disappointed if LCN 99 doesn't appear on my TV tomorrow afternoon. I watch very little of Nine, and when I do I haven't seen the ads or promotions yet?

:(

I'm sorry to have to say that, but this afternoon I did scan my tv, and discovered that GO! LCN 99 doesn't exist yet. I don't think the chances of getting GO! is very good this Sunday and I'm afraid to say Darwin may miss out this Sunday and may come at a later date, I'm afraid that could be a possibility.

I will try again over the next few days but I concede the chances of getting GO! in Darwin are not good. :(

William Walker

#5 GoForMoe

GoForMoe

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,346 posts

Posted 05 August 2009 - 07:14 PM

Call the helpline, 1300 152 231.

#6 willwalk

willwalk

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPip
  • 450 posts

Posted 06 August 2009 - 08:11 PM

Call the helpline, 1300 152 231.

I tried again to rescan, both the channel and the full scan but to no avail. It's still LCN 9 and 90. No 99 yet sorry.

I can't hear the phone maybe some one else from Darwin forum can.

Chances aren't good that Darwin will get it this sunday, I think Darwin will miss out and might have to wait for a few months yet.

William Walker

#7 willwalk

willwalk

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPip
  • 450 posts

Posted 06 August 2009 - 08:32 PM

I tried again to rescan, both the channel and the full scan but to no avail. It's still LCN 9 and 90. No 99 yet sorry.

I can't hear the phone maybe some one else from Darwin forum can.

Chances aren't good that Darwin will get it this sunday, I think Darwin will miss out and might have to wait for a few months yet.

William Walker

"Please note that GO! is not being introduced in all markets around Australia. Due to technical constraints, some markets will not get access to the new channel until later in 2009. So while viewers in some regions might have to retune their digital receivers if they do not handle the change correctly, those viewers may not get the new channel for several months."

I have a feeling that Darwin is included in the regions likely to wait til late 2009. I doubt if Nine Darwin will ever put GO! in the NINE HD on LCN 90 this Sunday but I don't think so, I don't like my chances :( Have anybody in Darwin seen the promos of GO! on Nine yet?

William Walker

#8 willwalk

willwalk

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPip
  • 450 posts

Posted 06 August 2009 - 09:59 PM

"Please note that GO! is not being introduced in all markets around Australia. Due to technical constraints, some markets will not get access to the new channel until later in 2009. So while viewers in some regions might have to retune their digital receivers if they do not handle the change correctly, those viewers may not get the new channel for several months."

I have a feeling that Darwin is included in the regions likely to wait til late 2009. I doubt if Nine Darwin will ever put GO! in the NINE HD on LCN 90 this Sunday but I don't think so, I don't like my chances :( Have anybody in Darwin seen the promos of GO! on Nine yet?

William Walker

I had a look at the Yahoo TV Guide and the news is not good.

see http://au.tv.yahoo.c...l...009&tvrg=74 Look see the NT Darwin guide and compare it with most areas ie, Townsville, Tasmania and Sydney and see more than one channel missing in the NT Darwin guide. Look for yourself :(

Willia

#9 willwalk

willwalk

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPip
  • 450 posts

Posted 09 August 2009 - 06:02 PM

I had a look at the Yahoo TV Guide and the news is not good.

see http://au.tv.yahoo.c...l...009&tvrg=74 Look see the NT Darwin guide and compare it with most areas ie, Townsville, Tasmania and Sydney and see more than one channel missing in the NT Darwin guide. Look for yourself :(

Willia

:( It's confirmed. No GO! for Darwin tonight. I'm sorry I was misled by Freeview. I'm sorry to disappoint Darwin viewers. :(

I still don't know ONE HD start date and now I do not know GO! start date in Darwin. :(

William

#10 ozjad

ozjad

AV Forum Member

• PipPip
  • 220 posts

Posted 09 August 2009 - 08:16 PM

its so strange why 9 didnt put GO on in darwin. isnt 9 darwin owned by channel 9?

#11 Smacca

Smacca

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPipPip
  • 874 posts

Posted 09 August 2009 - 08:21 PM

:( It's confirmed. No GO! for Darwin tonight. I'm sorry I was misled by Freeview. I'm sorry to disappoint Darwin viewers. :(

I still don't know ONE HD start date and now I do not know GO! start date in Darwin. :(

William

I feel your pain buddy. I can't believe that a Nine O&O station doesn't have it! I thought the only areas to miss out would be the regional and remote markets, not a metro(grade) market like Darwin. Do you get Nine HD? If so, surely Nine could have done what WIN is doing to bring Darwinians their new channel.

Oh well, count your lucky stars William. We won't have Go, One or even HD in general for at least the next 3 years!

#12 willwalk

willwalk

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPip
  • 450 posts

Posted 09 August 2009 - 08:22 PM

its so strange why 9 didnt put GO on in darwin. isnt 9 darwin owned by channel 9?

Yes! :( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NTD :(

William Walker

#13 willwalk

willwalk

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPip
  • 450 posts

Posted 09 August 2009 - 08:30 PM

I feel your pain buddy. I can't believe that a Nine O&O station doesn't have it! I thought the only areas to miss out would be the regional and remote markets, not a metro(grade) market like Darwin. Do you get Nine HD? If so, surely Nine could have done what WIN is doing to bring Darwinians their new channel.

Oh well, count your lucky stars William. We won't have Go, One or even HD in general for at least the next 3 years!

Yes Darwin get Nine HD, but it is a defacto HD, a upconvert SD, rarely do Nine HD get any breakaway programs, otherwise the same programs as NINE SD. Darwin has Ten (DDT) but not yet ONE HD, DDT HD is a SC 10 loop, nature loop.

William Walker

#14 willwalk

willwalk

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPip
  • 450 posts

Posted 10 August 2009 - 12:06 AM

Yes Darwin get Nine HD, but it is a defacto HD, a upconvert SD, rarely do Nine HD get any breakaway programs, otherwise the same programs as NINE SD. Darwin has Ten (DDT) but not yet ONE HD, DDT HD is a SC 10 loop, nature loop.

William Walker

Please see the snapshots of DDT HD, SCTV HD, NINE HD and TV guide of Darwin

http://users.bigpond...1/ddthd.jpg.jpg

http://users.bigpond.../ninehd.jpg.jpg

http://users.bigpond...ww1971/schd.jpg

http://users.bigpond...tvguide.jpg.jpg

William Walker

#15 Smacca

Smacca

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPipPip
  • 874 posts

Posted 10 August 2009 - 10:38 AM

William Walker

A loop? What a waste of bandwidth! You'd think, on a technical scale, changing the input source of that loop to Ond HD wouldn't be difficult. Maybe it's the timezone, and the fact they need to install some sort of timeshifting device, that's stopping them?

Edited by Smacca, 10 August 2009 - 10:47 AM.

#16 willwalk

willwalk

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPip
  • 450 posts

Posted 10 August 2009 - 11:40 AM

A loop? What a waste of bandwidth! You'd think, on a technical scale, changing the input source of that loop to Ond HD wouldn't be difficult. Maybe it's the timezone, and the fact they need to install some sort of timeshifting device, that's stopping them?

I don't know. But I don't have any confidence in any of the TV stations in Darwin. Because Nine's owner is also the 50% owner of DDT Ten (SC owns the other 50%), they are proving to be the hurdle to introduce ONE HD. The loop is being played out from SC in Canberra, and DDT is really a clone of TDT in Tasmania. It's easy I agree to introduce ONE HD and GO! in Darwin, it is just the people who work in the local tv station that put it in the too hard basket.

And again I do not know when GO! and ONE HD will start in Darwin. There was no explaination in the NT news (I haven't read the paper today, just saw it on the net today - still no explanation) on why Nine haven't introduced the GO! channel here in Darwin.

William Walker

#17 Smacca

Smacca

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPipPip
  • 874 posts

Posted 10 August 2009 - 04:01 PM

I don't know. But I don't have any confidence in any of the TV stations in Darwin. Because Nine's owner is also the 50% owner of DDT Ten (SC owns the other 50%), they are proving to be the hurdle to introduce ONE HD. The loop is being played out from SC in Canberra, and DDT is really a clone of TDT in Tasmania. It's easy I agree to introduce ONE HD and GO! in Darwin, it is just the people who work in the local tv station that put it in the too hard basket.

You shouldn't blame the local tv station staff. They're all under direct control from the company that owns them. It's up to the company to provide their stations with the right services. I'm sure local staff would play a role in implementing a new multi-channel in some way or another, but they don't control when or how it is introduced.

And again I do not know when GO! and ONE HD will start in Darwin. There was no explaination in the NT news (I haven't read the paper today, just saw it on the net today - still no explanation) on why Nine haven't introduced the GO! channel here in Darwin.

Networks are terrible with providing special information for situations like this. It took SC Ten days to inform their viewers of why One HD wasn't available to them. GWN (Prime), WIN, Imparja are all holding back on information (about One, Go, Ten, digital in general) from their viewers. I'd imagine it would be a big challenge for a company like Imparja to launch digital SD and Go!, simply because of the vast geographic area they cover. I'd just like to hear them say it, and for them to acknowledge the viewers concerns. But they don't. They just keep their viewers out of the lurch.

#18 willwalk

willwalk

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPip
  • 450 posts

Posted 11 August 2009 - 10:03 PM

You shouldn't blame the local tv station staff. They're all under direct control from the company that owns them. It's up to the company to provide their stations with the right services. I'm sure local staff would play a role in implementing a new multi-channel in some way or another, but they don't control when or how it is introduced.

Networks are terrible with providing special information for situations like this. It took SC Ten days to inform their viewers of why One HD wasn't available to them. GWN (Prime), WIN, Imparja are all holding back on information (about One, Go, Ten, digital in general) from their viewers. I'd imagine it would be a big challenge for a company like Imparja to launch digital SD and Go!, simply because of the vast geographic area they cover. I'd just like to hear them say it, and for them to acknowledge the viewers concerns. But they don't. They just keep their viewers out of the lurch.

Yeah. By the same token I feel for the Alice springs people and central australians who has yet to see Imparja in digital. Nine In Darwin went digital in 2003 and introduced HD in 2005, and so did SC. I just find it hard to believe the years Darwin is long ahead in front. Had they gone ahead with merging central australia with darwin, maybe just maybe central australia would have been better off, and maybe central australia and darwin might have got GO! and One HD, who knows? Maybe not? But the merger did not happen, and I presume that central australia will be faced with a similar situation to regional WA.

William Walker

#19 willwalk

willwalk

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPip
  • 450 posts

Posted 11 August 2009 - 10:33 PM

Well, I did over react a bit but I didn't like being misled by freeview. Had Freeview left out Darwin and was more honest and said that Darwin's turn will come later at first, then I wouldn't have minded. I felt at the start that the information on Nine's GO! webpage was too vauge and not specific enough. Had they said in writing or had omitted Darwin out and had said some areas will have to wait (I got it from one source, but it wasn't enough information though), I wouldn't have minded, and would have accepted a lot better than I did. I said a few words about local stations because I wasn't happy about being misled by Freeview and other sources who weren't very specific in their plans. It was just the heat of the moment, and even though I did say some words about local stations I didn't mean to say those words, I was just bitterly disappointed at the time.

Misleading information and information that wasn't specific enough from various websites had led to me feeling confused and bitterly disappointed on the night. If people were offended by what happened a few days ago than I apologise. But I feel okay now I have more information, and am prepared to sit tight and be patient about GO! in the meantime.

William Walker

Edited by willwalk, 11 August 2009 - 10:36 PM.

#20 Smacca

Smacca

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPipPip
  • 874 posts

Posted 11 August 2009 - 11:30 PM

Well, I did over react a bit but I didn't like being misled by freeview. Had Freeview left out Darwin and was more honest and said that Darwin's turn will come later at first, then I wouldn't have minded. I felt at the start that the information on Nine's GO! webpage was too vauge and not specific enough. Had they said in writing or had omitted Darwin out and had said some areas will have to wait (I got it from one source, but it wasn't enough information though), I wouldn't have minded, and would have accepted a lot better than I did. I said a few words about local stations because I wasn't happy about being misled by Freeview and other sources who weren't very specific in their plans. It was just the heat of the moment, and even though I did say some words about local stations I didn't mean to say those words, I was just bitterly disappointed at the time.

Misleading information and information that wasn't specific enough from various websites had led to me feeling confused and bitterly disappointed on the night. If people were offended by what happened a few days ago than I apologise. But I feel okay now I have more information, and am prepared to sit tight and be patient about GO! in the meantime.

William Walker

No one said you offended people, William. You're within your rights to be pissed off at this situation. I was just suggesting you aim that anger at the networks, not the local staff. Don't worry, I have quite a bit to say to the networks about the lack of digital here. I'm jealous that you have Ten and can watch good primetime shows in HD. Optus Aurora+D1 is the best I can get.

#21 willwalk

willwalk

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPip
  • 450 posts

Posted 12 August 2009 - 05:51 PM

No one said you offended people, William. You're within your rights to be pissed off at this situation. I was just suggesting you aim that anger at the networks, not the local staff. Don't worry, I have quite a bit to say to the networks about the lack of digital here. I'm jealous that you have Ten and can watch good primetime shows in HD. Optus Aurora+D1 is the best I can get.

Yeah I can recall there was talk about Ten in regional WA from way back in 2006. I can't understand why there was a delay, maybe the delay was caused by a change of government. It was the Howard government that set the foundations for the digital plans for both central and western australia, and I believe it may have been stalled by this current government for what ever reasons I don't know. Maybe if the coalition government was there longer, maybe just maybe WA could have got digital now and even HD, who knows?

And for what it was worth I sadly miss the dba.org.au website. remember that website? It was a really handy graphical site that tells people of digital services from that particular transmitter in the area. Remember that website? I was really fond of it because that website helps track the development of digital services over time. Now it's gone, and what a big waste of effort it was! it was a sad day when the dba.org.au was destroyed.

William Walker

#22 willwalk

willwalk

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPip
  • 450 posts

Posted 23 August 2009 - 05:02 PM

Two weeks went by, still no sign of GO! or ONE HD.

I may be a very old man by the time it gets to Darwin, the way things are going at the moment.

William Walker

#23 rfnetsolns

rfnetsolns

AV Forum Member

• 9 posts

Posted 04 September 2009 - 10:14 AM

Your not missing much on GO! - repeats of charlies angels, starsky and hutch, dance your ass off and cartoons :)

If someone wants a foxtel box from SA maybe it can be arranged :)

#24 willwalk

willwalk

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPip
  • 450 posts

Posted 05 September 2009 - 05:48 PM

Your not missing much on GO! - repeats of charlies angels, starsky and hutch, dance your ass off and cartoons :)

If someone wants a foxtel box from SA maybe it can be arranged :)

On subject on satellite dish I am very new to this. Would it matter what size of satellite dish I get before I get a Foxtel or austar or what ever? Would a small one be okay or must I get a big one for foxtel? Or all I need is cable or satellite? I'm very confused and very new to it. My dad has a 65 cm black satellite dish in his backyard to get Austar in Ayr, near Townsville, Queensland where as I am not yet a user of any service. Is a austar dish compatiable with Fotxel?

I am currently a tenant of Territory Housing and am seeking advice from the property manager on clarification on whether I should get a satellite dish. I don't own the property and must seek permission from the manager first.

I need more advice on this matter before I could proceed otherwise I could be in trouble.

On the subject of GO! My dad can confirm it is mostly repeats of Nine's programs, and hence he is of middle age he doesn't like it, but I guess it depends on an individual's taste.

William Walker

#25 Alista

Alista

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPipPip
  • 686 posts

Posted 05 September 2009 - 07:27 PM

Austar and Foxtel use the same satellite so I think the same dish should work. I would probably go and see a satellite installer in Darwin (just search for satellite in Darwin on the Yellow pages site) And request a quote for the smallest recommended satellite dish aligned to Optus C1.

Try and have a look at somebody else's satellite dish that has Austar (not SelecTv as that uses one of the Intelsat satellites) and that will give you an indication on the size required. Because you are in the top end the dish might need to be larger as In Tassie we can get away with a 95cm dish but I think the further north you go it gets bigger but the local people will know.

Alista