• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 sambblink

sambblink

DTV Forums Member

• Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 19 July 2009 - 06:37 PM

I have a Strong srt 4661x sd satellite receiver and am having problems with the usb harddrive pvr function.

Not sure whether I am missing something in the instructions or the unit is faulty.

The receiver generally works as advertised and I am so far happy with it on all counts except the pvr function.

I have formatted an external usb harddrive of 60gb capacity to fat32 as per Strongs instructions.

The machine accepts the drive, tests it and says it is capable of use for the pvr function.

For short recordings (less than approx. an hour) it works well, however if used to try to record more than an hour at a time , at around the hour mark the machine crashes with a frozen picture and the usb drive with the record light hard on...this lasts a couple of seconds and then the 4661 reboots, declares the usb drive invalid and the previous hours recording is lost.

50 mins recording uses about 3.4 gb , so I am guessing this has something to do with the 4gb limit of fat32 files.

Other Strong pvrs with external harddrives seem to be able to handle this situation by seamlessly dividing the recording into 4gb files which playback contiguously without user intervention.
So it would seem Strong are aware of this limitation, and my guess is that they would not write different software for each model in their range.

So the question is have I got a faulty unit, or amI doing something wrong, or is it in fact a limitation of fat32 not handled by their pvr software for this particular model.

Any help greatly appreciated, this is driving me crazy.

P.S. same fault occurred with original firmware and after update to latest firmware.

#2 sambblink

sambblink

DTV Forums Member

• Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 16 August 2009 - 08:07 AM

I have a Strong srt 4661x sd satellite receiver and am having problems with the usb harddrive pvr function.

Not sure whether I am missing something in the instructions or the unit is faulty.

The receiver generally works as advertised and I am so far happy with it on all counts except the pvr function.

I have formatted an external usb harddrive of 60gb capacity to fat32 as per Strongs instructions.

The machine accepts the drive, tests it and says it is capable of use for the pvr function.

For short recordings (less than approx. an hour) it works well, however if used to try to record more than an hour at a time , at around the hour mark the machine crashes with a frozen picture and the usb drive with the record light hard on...this lasts a couple of seconds and then the 4661 reboots, declares the usb drive invalid and the previous hours recording is lost.

50 mins recording uses about 3.4 gb , so I am guessing this has something to do with the 4gb limit of fat32 files.

Other Strong pvrs with external harddrives seem to be able to handle this situation by seamlessly dividing the recording into 4gb files which playback contiguously without user intervention.
So it would seem Strong are aware of this limitation, and my guess is that they would not write different software for each model in their range.

So the question is have I got a faulty unit, or amI doing something wrong, or is it in fact a limitation of fat32 not handled by their pvr software for this particular model.

Any help greatly appreciated, this is driving me crazy.

P.S. same fault occurred with original firmware and after update to latest firmware.

Seems no-one else either has one of these or has the problems I have experienced.

So just for the record, here is the state of play for this recorder.

Contacted Strong support, they helpfully sent a firmware update, that was the same as the latest one on their site.
Initially this appeared to fix the problem as I successfully recorded 3hrs to the 60gb usb hd. However that must have been a lucky break, as the next few attempts failed at various points with the "invalid usb drive " notification and a spontaneous reboot.

Next attempt involved a 3.5" external hd with its own power supply, as I suspected the usb port on the Strong was marginal for powering a 2.5"external usb hd.

Unfortunately this also had similar results with very unreliable recording.

Next attempt involved a 16gb usb flash drive bought off ebay from Hong Kong for $16au - Bargain ! - but didn't work on the Strong.
Although it was supposedly usb2.0 it was too slow for reliable recording, though it did work well for data on a computer.

The Strong has a facility to test an attached usb drive as suitable for pvr functioning.

Both external hd's passed, but the cheap usb stick was found not suitable.

I also had a 4gb Transcend usb flash drive that worked faultlessly, it even ended recording gracefully if the recording time was set to be greater than its capacity of about 1hr 25min - not quite long enough for a movie !

So I bought an 8gb Kingston usb flash drive, and finally hit gold.
This drive is fast - on a computer it writes at 9MB/sec the Transcend does about 6MB/sec and the cheapie from Hong Kong doeas about 1.5MB/sec.

So it would seem that this pvr works and works well with FAST usb flash drives, but for some reason it fails when writing to external usb harddrives, even though these drives read and write faster on a computer than any of the tested flash drives.

Anyway, I'm happy the pvr delivers great picture quality (way better than my previous method of using a tv capture card in the computer with a rf input from the settop box).

Its also easy to start recording from the remote without having to rush over to the computer.

#3 Grump3

Grump3

DTV Forums Member

• 6 posts

Posted 19 March 2011 - 10:41 PM

[quote name='sambblink' date='Aug 16 2009, 09:07 AM' post='1392870']
Next attempt involved a 16gb usb flash drive bought off ebay from Hong Kong for $16au - Bargain ! - but didn't work on the Strong.

I had similar problems recording from my PVR TV.

That 16 GB "Bargain" is most likely a faked <2GB unit loaded with special software that mimics it's stated 16GB capacity.
It will display as 16 GB on your PC but anything over it's true capacity is lost.
There has been a flood of faked Flash memory devices from Asia for a number of years now to the point where I wouldn't buy any flash memory device from an untrusted source.
There is a free tool for testing true flash memory capacity.
Google for H2testw to download. Also check out the sosfakeflash site for details on the extent of this fraud, particularly on Ebay.
Regards, G.