Photo

Is It Possible To Connect A Pc Lcd Monitor To An Avr?

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 iversons13

iversons13

AV Forum Member

• 21 posts

Posted 08 July 2009 - 08:50 PM

Hi all,

Since converting the display in my lounge HT from an LCD TV to a Projector (with fixed screen), I'm finding that I'm using the room a lot less for music. This is simply because I don't want to fire up the PJ for a couple of minutes just to navigate to the chosen music source.

So I was wondering....what are others with dedicated theatre setups using to solve this problem?

Is it possible to connect a relatively inexpensive 17-19" PC LCD monitor, which has standard VGA (?) and DVI inputs to one of the AVR's outputs. The single HDMI output of the Yamaha RXV-3800 is already in use which only leaves component, s-video and composite ouputs.
I've considered the use of an HDMI switcher but given I want this display somewhere around the listening position, it would mean another 10m HDMI cable run. I do already have an unused run of component cable to the rear of the room so using that would be ideal.

The other option I've considered is using a portable dvd player or in-car TFT LCD screen with composite input, but these cost as much as a nice PC monitor.

#2 nigel

nigel

AV Forum Member

• PipPip
  • 168 posts

Posted 08 July 2009 - 09:37 PM

I don't know what an AVR is, but I assume it's a signal source? Music jukebox?

1) You could buy a small LCD TV that has component inputs (e.g. my old Samsung SyncMaster 730mw)

2) There are cheap converters that let you go from Component to VGA

You can even convert HDMI to Component these days, if anyone wants to run HDMI cabling to old display technology.

#3 Mr.Bitey

Mr.Bitey

AV Forum Member

• 7,832 posts

Posted 08 July 2009 - 11:00 PM

There are a few PC LCDs that have composite / component inputs..

Just looking for a couple now..

Cheers,
Bitey

#4 Mr.Bitey

Mr.Bitey

AV Forum Member

• 7,832 posts

Posted 08 July 2009 - 11:04 PM

Heres a list to get you started

looks like some of the following brands do models with at least composite input:
samsung
dell
viewsonic

just to name a few

Have a look on the websites and see what models do it, then use www.staticice.com.au to find the cheapest supplier :)

Cheers,
Bitey

#5 cwt

cwt

AV Forum Member

• 5,629 posts

Posted 09 July 2009 - 03:57 AM

Ime typing this in front of a archived model from the palsonic website iversons so Ile mention it; havent tried the rgb scart ;just need a component converter ;or s-video . Newer models have component in :)

http://www.palsonic....v/tftv386bk.htm

#6 dan76n

dan76n

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPip
  • 405 posts

Posted 09 July 2009 - 08:11 AM

I have found the same issue and currently use a small lcd I have. I store my music on my PS3 so I need to see the screen but also have to reset the PS3 so it goes to component or composite which is what the LCD is connected to. Its a pain but does the job.
I am looking into getting a PSP as I have heard you can sync them and use the PSP screen which would be ideal for me.

#7 Hi-Fi Whipped

Hi-Fi Whipped

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPipPip
  • 638 posts

Posted 09 July 2009 - 11:05 AM

Hi all,

Since converting the display in my lounge HT from an LCD TV to a Projector (with fixed screen), I'm finding that I'm using the room a lot less for music. This is simply because I don't want to fire up the PJ for a couple of minutes just to navigate to the chosen music source.

So I was wondering....what are others with dedicated theatre setups using to solve this problem?

Is it possible to connect a relatively inexpensive 17-19" PC LCD monitor, which has standard VGA (?) and DVI inputs to one of the AVR's outputs. The single HDMI output of the Yamaha RXV-3800 is already in use which only leaves component, s-video and composite ouputs.
I've considered the use of an HDMI switcher but given I want this display somewhere around the listening position, it would mean another 10m HDMI cable run. I do already have an unused run of component cable to the rear of the room so using that would be ideal.

The other option I've considered is using a portable dvd player or in-car TFT LCD screen with composite input, but these cost as much as a nice PC monitor.

I run my music through my iphone but it depends on the source as to whether you can use it. I am using iTunes and it works a treat, so easy to navigate and no need for a screen. Apple iPod Touch can run the same apps for less $$$.

#8 iversons13

iversons13

AV Forum Member

• 21 posts

Posted 09 July 2009 - 08:15 PM

I run my music through my iphone

Wow I just realised I'm really not up with phone technology. I guess I also want to use this screen for things like quickly setting a recording on the Beyonwiz not just music though.

Some great ideas so far... I have trolled a few of the LCD monitor manufacturer websites but it seems like most screens under 22" have just the basic 15pin D-SUB and DVI-D inputs. So I guess my new line of inquiry is whether theres a reliable way of converting component signal to D-SUB or DVI-D connector.

#9 scashin

scashin

AV Forum Member

• Pip
  • 92 posts

Posted 20 July 2009 - 01:26 PM

Dan,

I use my PSP for this exact reason and it works brilliantly.

Shane

I have found the same issue and currently use a small lcd I have. I store my music on my PS3 so I need to see the screen but also have to reset the PS3 so it goes to component or composite which is what the LCD is connected to. Its a pain but does the job.
I am looking into getting a PSP as I have heard you can sync them and use the PSP screen which would be ideal for me.

#10 Blackwash

Blackwash

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPip
  • 428 posts

Posted 22 July 2009 - 03:47 PM

I use a Benq E2200HD monitor for exactly this purpose. It is 1080P and has an HDMI input so setup is simple. I use an HDMI splitter to split the signal coming from the AVR.

Works just fine. The picture is very good too.

#11 rampar

rampar

AV Forum Member

• Pip
  • 95 posts

Posted 23 July 2009 - 04:49 PM

Im waiting for this to come into stock:

http://www.dealextre...ls.dx/sku.10530

which ill use in conjunction with this which i got for $129 from COTD:

http://www.samsung.c...d=LS19LFUGFZ/XY