Darwin Might Not Get One Hd Or Nine's New Channel

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 willwalk

willwalk

DTV Forums Member

• 450 posts

Posted 20 June 2009 - 04:32 PM

There is also a possibility that Darwin might not get ONE HD (maybe never!), despite DDT HD existing already.

I have learnt from a source that once WA regional goes digital it will not get HD channels for at least a long time (maybe) meaning that ONE may not exist in WA either. And the same could be said of the remote areas outside Darwin.

I would love to think ONE HD will definitely come to Darwin one day, but I am becoming less confident as the days go by...

The Nine Network appears very unlikely to provide Nine's new channel to Darwin as well for a long time to come.

Oh well, there's always abc 2 and sbs 2 to watch or Pay TV (if the viewer has the money).

William Walker

#2 aeon

aeon

DTV Forums Member

• 992 posts

Posted 16 July 2009 - 02:06 PM

Not terribly fussed about One HD - but it'll be annoying if we don't get the Go! channel (Nine Network):

http://www.cnet.com....33.htm?feed=rss

#3 willwalk

willwalk

DTV Forums Member

• 450 posts

Posted 16 July 2009 - 05:21 PM

Not terribly fussed about One HD - but it'll be annoying if we don't get the Go! channel (Nine Network):

http://www.cnet.com....33.htm?feed=rss

Last night I spoke with my dad who lives in regional Queensland. He doesn't have a HD set top box himself, but spoke with friends about ONE HD. He was told that ONE HD is not in the same league as other sports channels on Pay tv, like Fox 1 or fox 2. I suppose I can wait longer for it as well but when the commonwealth games is on or Indian premier 20/20 cricket is on, it must be put on.

I saw the preview about GO!99 on a current affair last night, but frowned with great disappointment. I am resigned to the fact that Darwin will not get GO!99 for a while and it is much likely to be past the September debut date (if it happens at all) on which GO!99 will start in Brisbane, Gold Coast, Sydney and Melbourne, Ditto about Adelaide or Perth or other WIN areas, but Newcastle and Darwin appears likely to miss out come September due to it being a regional areas. GO!99 is going to be in LCN 99 where Nine's VPG used to be in the big cities, something that Darwin never had to start with anyway. It annoys me when PBL Media owns regional stations like NBN and Territory TV where as WIN should be best to run those regional stations anyway.

As much as I am tired of regional areas not being treated the same as big capital cities I am resigned to the fact that is how the system works at the moment.

William Walker

#4 dryfry

dryfry

DTV Forums Member

• 728 posts

Posted 16 July 2009 - 05:41 PM

There is also a possibility that Darwin might not get ONE HD (maybe never!), despite DDT HD existing already.

I have learnt from a source that once WA regional goes digital it will not get HD channels for at least a long time (maybe) meaning that ONE may not exist in WA either. And the same could be said of the remote areas outside Darwin.

I would love to think ONE HD will definitely come to Darwin one day, but I am becoming less confident as the days go by...

The Nine Network appears very unlikely to provide Nine's new channel to Darwin as well for a long time to come.

Oh well, there's always abc 2 and sbs 2 to watch or Pay TV (if the viewer has the money).

William Walker

At the moment all the commercial channels in country WA are on the one digital carrier . GWN and WIN and the proposed Ten station.
Now there is just GWN and WIN on air at Mawson in widescreen standard definition on UHF channel 42.
Weird that Darwin has to miss out on One and the extra Nine channel.

#5 willwalk

willwalk

DTV Forums Member

• 450 posts

Posted 16 July 2009 - 05:55 PM

At the moment all the commercial channels in country WA are on the one digital carrier . GWN and WIN and the proposed Ten station.
Now there is just GWN and WIN on air at Mawson in widescreen standard definition on UHF channel 42.
Weird that Darwin has to miss out on One and the extra Nine channel.

LCN Channel 1 shows the boring SC 10 loop on DDT HD (sorry no ticker yet), and LCN 99 doesn't exist yet. DDT TEN is on LCN 1 (HD) and 10 (SD) while NINE is on LCN 9 (SD) and 90 (HD).

Ditto if ONE HD is coming to WA or when and the other Nine channel will go there.

But thanks goodness Imparja is not beamed in Darwin, thanks goodness.

William Walker

#6 willwalk

willwalk

DTV Forums Member

• 450 posts

Posted 16 July 2009 - 06:10 PM

Last night I spoke with my dad who lives in regional Queensland. He doesn't have a HD set top box himself, but spoke with friends about ONE HD. He was told that ONE HD is not in the same league as other sports channels on Pay tv, like Fox 1 or fox 2. I suppose I can wait longer for it as well but when the commonwealth games is on or Indian premier 20/20 cricket is on, it must be put on.

I saw the preview about GO!99 on a current affair last night, but frowned with great disappointment. I am resigned to the fact that Darwin will not get GO!99 for a while and it is much likely to be past the September debut date (if it happens at all) on which GO!99 will start in Brisbane, Gold Coast, Sydney and Melbourne, Ditto about Adelaide or Perth or other WIN areas, but Newcastle and Darwin appears likely to miss out come September due to it being a regional areas. GO!99 is going to be in LCN 99 where Nine's VPG used to be in the big cities, something that Darwin never had to start with anyway. It annoys me when PBL Media owns regional stations like NBN and Territory TV where as WIN should be best to run those regional stations anyway.

As much as I am tired of regional areas not being treated the same as big capital cities I am resigned to the fact that is how the system works at the moment.

William Walker

I hope I am very wrong in my predictions. I'd like to think that GO!99 would start at the same time as other cities, but I am not holding my breath. Given that Darwin is more a regional city than a true capital city it won't surprise me if GO!99 is not shown in Darwin for a while. Of course Sydney, Melb, Brisbane gets everything new first, then the regionals follow later as usual.

William Walker

#7 willwalk

willwalk

DTV Forums Member

• 450 posts

Posted 24 July 2009 - 12:26 PM

I hope I am very wrong in my predictions. I'd like to think that GO!99 would start at the same time as other cities, but I am not holding my breath. Given that Darwin is more a regional city than a true capital city it won't surprise me if GO!99 is not shown in Darwin for a while. Of course Sydney, Melb, Brisbane gets everything new first, then the regionals follow later as usual.

William Walker

I'm pleased :) to say I am very wrong in my earlier predictions if the updated freeview detais stay true to their word. See the freeview website for updated details and go to Channels, regional areas and select Darwin. There you will notice something is different. Go to http://www.freeview.com.au and see what I mean.

No date has been set yet but it's good to know some extra channels are coming to Darwin.

But given it is a regional area I would have thought that the bigger captials get something new first, then the smaller capitals & larger regional cities are next to get it and then Darwin and follows the rules of TEN / DDT in the case of ONE HD.

Fingers crossed. Lets hope Freeview stays true to its word.

William Walker

#8 willwalk

willwalk

DTV Forums Member

• 450 posts

Posted 28 July 2009 - 02:30 PM

I'm pleased :) to say I am very wrong in my earlier predictions if the updated freeview detais stay true to their word. See the freeview website for updated details and go to Channels, regional areas and select Darwin. There you will notice something is different. Go to http://www.freeview.com.au and see what I mean.

No date has been set yet but it's good to know some extra channels are coming to Darwin.

But given it is a regional area I would have thought that the bigger captials get something new first, then the smaller capitals & larger regional cities are next to get it and then Darwin and follows the rules of TEN / DDT in the case of ONE HD.

Fingers crossed. Lets hope Freeview stays true to its word.

William Walker

More good news. I have been proven wrong again! :) I got word back from an employee from Southern Cross. He says ONE HD is coming to Darwin (definitely) but he doesn't know the date yet. He says Tassie will get the ONE HD this Thursday, and I believe from what he says Darwin is next in the rollout of ONE HD from SC after Tassie and possibly Mildura. Mildura is not in a SC market, so WIN & Prime will be responsible for ONE HD rollout in that area. There are no plans to roll out ONE HD to central australia at this stage and possibly not for a long time.

Say tuned in this matter.

William Walker

#9 sleeptalker

sleeptalker

DTV Forums Member

• PipPipPipPip
  • 72 posts

Posted 28 July 2009 - 04:28 PM

More good news. I have been proven wrong again! :) I got word back from an employee from Southern Cross. He says ONE HD is coming to Darwin (definitely) but he doesn't know the date yet. He says Tassie will get the ONE HD this Thursday, and I believe from what he says Darwin is next in the rollout of ONE HD from SC after Tassie and possibly Mildura. Mildura is not in a SC market, so WIN & Prime will be responsible for ONE HD rollout in that area. There are no plans to roll out ONE HD to central australia at this stage and possibly not for a long time.

Say tuned in this matter.

William Walker

Thats good news William - thanks for the update. Hopefully we will also get the new GO channel. :D