Dab Brisbane

• Please log in to reply
317 replies to this topic

#1 datvman

datvman

AV Forum Member

• 3,185 posts

Posted 21 May 2009 - 09:14 PM

I know its not supposed to be online yet but for the past week (since Tuesday) Brisbane's DAB transmitters have been up and running. All stations sounding lovely and some new stations, Pink, Edge, Radar, Novanation as well as 4KQ in stereo :) I'm impressed with the sound coming thru my 5.1 setup.

The following stations have been found on my radio: 4BC, 4BH, 4KQ, 973, B105, Edge, IPDigi (is just a test tone atm), Nova1069, Novanation, Pink, Radar, Radio TAB, Triple M. All stations have some sort of 'Whats Playing now' information with 4KQ telling us whats up next. B105, Triple M and Radar just have the station slogan and website scrolling and Radio TAB has results from the tote. 4BH and Pink has nothing extra. Its really great to hear 4BH and 4KQ in lovely stereo.

#2 (ツ)

(ツ)

AV Forum Member

• 5,986 posts

Posted 22 May 2009 - 12:07 AM

Its really great to hear 4BH and 4KQ in lovely stereo.

Yeah, I've always been bewildered as to why the "oldies" station was stuck on AM even in the 21st Century in a city as big as Brisbane.

#3 Digitalworld

Digitalworld

AV Forum Member

• PipPip
  • 201 posts

Posted 22 May 2009 - 10:01 AM

I know its not supposed to be online yet but for the past week (since Tuesday) Brisbane's DAB transmitters have been up and running. All stations sounding lovely and some new stations, Pink, Edge, Radar, Novanation as well as 4KQ in stereo :) I'm impressed with the sound coming thru my 5.1 setup.

The following stations have been found on my radio: 4BC, 4BH, 4KQ, 973, B105, Edge, IPDigi (is just a test tone atm), Nova1069, Novanation, Pink, Radar, Radio TAB, Triple M. All stations have some sort of 'Whats Playing now' information with 4KQ telling us whats up next. B105, Triple M and Radar just have the station slogan and website scrolling and Radio TAB has results from the tote. 4BH and Pink has nothing extra. Its really great to hear 4BH and 4KQ in lovely stereo.

Agreed, it's good to hear the old AM stations get a new lease of life. In Melbourne Magic and MP are sounding great too. You are lucky to get up and running early, Melbourne had to wait until the official launch day.

#4 datvman

datvman

AV Forum Member

• 3,185 posts

Posted 22 May 2009 - 10:33 AM

Seems to be going all day now. They haven't stopped broadcasting yet. 4KQ still sounding great. I have the Sangean DPR-69 cheapie into my Yamaha 5.1 reciever and I can't believe the clear smooth sound. 4KQ has news headlines on its stream too it seems with all music stations except 4BH, B105 and MMM telling us whats playing. Unsure what "IPDigi" is I am hoping that its rebirth of 4IP ;) . The little signal strength bar on my Sangean is full here in my house which is great news.

#5 datvman

datvman

AV Forum Member

• 3,185 posts

Posted 22 May 2009 - 11:28 AM

It seems Edge has disappeared now :( Oh well was fun while it lasted

#6 Digitalworld

Digitalworld

AV Forum Member

• PipPip
  • 201 posts

Posted 22 May 2009 - 06:54 PM

It seems Edge has disappeared now :( Oh well was fun while it lasted

Same thing happened with The Edge in Melboure. They broadcast it for the first day and then changed it to a duplicate of Gold104.

#7 dkint3

dkint3

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPipPip
  • 880 posts

Posted 22 May 2009 - 07:48 PM

Yeah, I've always been bewildered as to why the "oldies" station was stuck on AM even in the 21st Century in a city as big as Brisbane.

Both 4BH and 4KQ had the opportunity to convert to FM back in 1989, but they both passed up on the chance...

Whilst Sydney, Melbourne, Adelaide and Perth all saw 2 commercial AM stations convert to FM back in 1989-1994, Brisbane only had 1 station convert (4BK, now B105).
Brisbane was also offered 2 conversion licences, but only 4BK took up their option.
I think financial difficulties at the time were the reason for 4BH and 4KQ not converting...

Now wouldn't it have been good to see the old Radio 10/Stereo 10 get one of them, go back to rock and take on FM104!!

#8 alanh

alanh

AV Forum Member

• 12,646 posts

Posted 22 May 2009 - 10:34 PM

dkint3,
At the time that extra FM licences were released in each capital city licences were put upto auction. The prices were very high just for the licence. Daily Mail Group (Nova) had the money and bought licences in all capital cities. etc. However there wasn't enough channels for all AM stations in that city so some had to miss out.

AlanH

#9 datvman

datvman

AV Forum Member

• 3,185 posts

Posted 24 May 2009 - 02:06 PM

Ok one more day before launch day. Both MUX's are broadcasting 24/7 now it seems. Reception isn't bad. I took it down to the coast yesterday. I could get reception in the middle of Southport and on the bus station carpark at Surfers but everywhere else was non existant (as you'd expect). On the highway, once you got past exit 45 at Yatala it died. Just suddenly too.

Am going north tomorrow. I don't expect much past Mango Hill or even Narangba.

"IPDigi" is still empty, but the test tone has disappeared. I am still scratching my head as to what this station will be.

edit: as of 9:20pm some stations have 'Welcome to Digital Radio' or 'This is xxx on Digital Radio'

#10 Shonky*

Shonky*

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,740 posts

Posted 25 May 2009 - 05:51 PM

Can I ask what you guys are using for DAB+ reception?

Edited by Shonky*, 25 May 2009 - 05:51 PM.

#11 alanh

alanh

AV Forum Member

• 12,646 posts

Posted 25 May 2009 - 06:09 PM

All,
Remember in the first week of test transmission the power is halved at night.

Shonky
I have heard a number of good reports about Pure Highway

AlanH

#12 alanh

alanh

AV Forum Member

• 12,646 posts

Posted 25 May 2009 - 06:15 PM

IPDig
There used to be a radio station called 4IP Ipswich. It was sold to another commercial network who on sold it to the TAB. So I expect that this channel will be broadcasting Racing. So it will have to be owned by the Queensland TAB.

AlanH

#13 datvman

datvman

AV Forum Member

• 3,185 posts

Posted 25 May 2009 - 06:56 PM

Spot on AlanH. IPDigi turned into TAB+ this morning and is playing cafe/easy type music. As I drive for a living today it was up to Caboolture and Bribie. Signal bar on my little Sangean didn't move off full. Standing in the back carpark at Bribie Woolies didn't make the metre move once. No dropouts around the Caboolture back streets and no dropouts along the highway with the signal bar being quite high. Overall, good report reception wise going north. Just south needs improving now.

#14 alanh

alanh

AV Forum Member

• 12,646 posts

Posted 25 May 2009 - 08:06 PM

datvman,
It is unlikely that the coverage will exceed the Brisbane Licence area. This is to allow the Gold Coast, Sunshine Coast and Toowoomba licence areas to keep their broadcasts to themselves. They will get DAB+ when then analog Tv in Brisbane is switched off.

AlanH

#15 datvman

datvman

AV Forum Member

• 3,185 posts

Posted 25 May 2009 - 08:17 PM

When going south, between Mt Gravatt and Beenleigh it was very patchy to non existant. Not really good enough for a replacement service.

#16 James T Kirk

James T Kirk

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPipPip
  • 764 posts

Posted 25 May 2009 - 08:27 PM

When going south, between Mt Gravatt and Beenleigh it was very patchy to non existant. Not really good enough for a replacement service.

Hi datvman

When you describe the south are you talking about today or previously?

James

#17 datvman

datvman

AV Forum Member

• 3,185 posts

Posted 25 May 2009 - 09:10 PM

Previously. Went down there Saturday just gone.

#18 James T Kirk

James T Kirk

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPipPip
  • 764 posts

Posted 25 May 2009 - 09:39 PM

Previously. Went down there Saturday just gone.

Thanks Datvman

Up until this morning operation was at flea power and so with full power during office hours hereon it would be interesting to see what you find on your next trip to the Gold Coast

James

#19 datvman

datvman

AV Forum Member

• 3,185 posts

Posted 25 May 2009 - 10:10 PM

Thanks James. Do you or anyone have any more info on TAB+? Whats its purpose? No ads, supers or DJ's yet just music.

#20 James T Kirk

James T Kirk

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPipPip
  • 764 posts

Posted 25 May 2009 - 10:35 PM

Thanks James. Do you or anyone have any more info on TAB+? Whats its purpose? No ads, supers or DJ's yet just music.

No nothing really, give them all time to play with this for a while because I expect there will be many changes with most networks as they learn how to tailor this new media to their individual needs.

James

#21 goldgxl

goldgxl

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPip
  • 428 posts

Posted 27 May 2009 - 06:41 PM

I bought a Grundig unit from DSE today.
Have tried about a half dozen times today to pickup a DAB+ station.
The thing scans but picks up nothing.
Are they all broadcasting or not in brisbane?
Maybe I have a faulty radio, fm reception is fine.

Will a Tivo unit pickup DAB+ stations?

#22 alanh

alanh

AV Forum Member

• 12,646 posts

Posted 27 May 2009 - 09:21 PM

goldgxl,
Firstly no DTV receiver products can receive DAB+ or even DAB.

I assume you are in the Brisbane Metro Area and not in the Gold Coast or Sunshine Coast.

Take it back to DSE and ask them to make it work in the shop.

If you are in the Gold Coast or Sunshine Coast a Band 3 Yagi with its spines vertical will increase the signal strength as long as there an antenna socket to connect this outdoor antenna.

AlanH

#23 alanh

alanh

AV Forum Member

• 12,646 posts

Posted 27 May 2009 - 09:23 PM

James,
It the maximum ERP 50 kW? Does the antenna system have a vertical tilt to restrict signals towards the Gold Coast, Sunshine Coast or Toowoomba?

Thanks,

Alanh

#24 mechsta

mechsta

AV Forum Member

• PipPip
  • 131 posts

Posted 27 May 2009 - 09:36 PM

I bought a Grundig unit from DSE today.
Have tried about a half dozen times today to pickup a DAB+ station.
The thing scans but picks up nothing.
Are they all broadcasting or not in brisbane?
Maybe I have a faulty radio, fm reception is fine.

Will a Tivo unit pickup DAB+ stations?

The Digital Radio Plus website said that there would be service interruptions in Brisbane today so that might explain it. Try and rescan tomorrow, it should work.

#25 Rock in stereo

Rock in stereo

AV Forum Member

• PipPip
  • 167 posts

Posted 28 May 2009 - 05:52 PM

As I drive for a living today it was up to Caboolture and Bribie. Signal bar on my little Sangean didn't move off full. Standing in the back carpark at Bribie Woolies didn't make the metre move once. No dropouts around the Caboolture back streets and no dropouts along the highway with the signal bar being quite high. Overall, good report reception wise going north. Just south needs improving now.

Thanks datvman for the DAB + coverage reports. Please keep them coming. I am particularly interested in reports to our north. :)

Reception on Sunday and Monday may not have been indicative, as strong coastal tropo was apparent. During these days I was hearing Rocky FM via troposcatter (weak levels, but listenable, with strong fading) and Bundy FM was in stereo (with no fading). I can comfortably say this is not common at this time of year, and no doubt these conditions would have enhanced your DAB + reception to the north of Brisbane.

I would be very interested to see whether DAB + would make it to Caloundra, if one connected the receiver to an external TV antenna. Based on your reports in the Caboolture and Bribie area, datvman, I would not be surprised if it did, albeit with continual errors. Brisbane TV penetrates extremely well into Caloundra. There is little point speculating however, because digital DX is considerably more challenging. Hopefully I may be able to test this for myself in coming weeks with a Bush BR10DAB receiver.

Edited by Rock in stereo, 28 May 2009 - 07:50 PM.