• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 haydeng

haydeng

AV Forum Member

• 11 posts

Posted 10 April 2009 - 10:39 AM

Hey Guys,

This is a weird one, its been a mission to try and search for anyone else having this problem because I dont know how to describe this noise!

I have a Samsung plasma thats a couple of years old, and when you change inputs or the screen goes black, theres a weird (and quite loud) ticking noise that comes from the back of the TV. Its getting more frequent, and starts to tick at random times now...

anyone heard of this problem or know what it might be?

i'll keep searching in the mean time trying to use different words, but its odd!

Cheers

Hayden

#2 Out of Order

Out of Order

AV Forum Member

• 41 posts

Posted 10 April 2009 - 03:49 PM

Hey Guys,

This is a weird one, its been a mission to try and search for anyone else having this problem because I dont know how to describe this noise!

I have a Samsung plasma thats a couple of years old, and when you change inputs or the screen goes black, theres a weird (and quite loud) ticking noise that comes from the back of the TV. Its getting more frequent, and starts to tick at random times now...

anyone heard of this problem or know what it might be?

i'll keep searching in the mean time trying to use different words, but its odd!

Cheers

Hayden

Hi Hayden,

Probably be easier for us if you could state what model Samsung you are having problems with.

#3 diesel

diesel

AV Forum Member

• 13,787 posts

Posted 10 April 2009 - 07:04 PM

Certainly doesn't sound normal

If you have any warranty left, I'd be booking it in for a service call

#4 haydeng

haydeng

AV Forum Member

• 11 posts

Posted 10 April 2009 - 10:49 PM

Hi Hayden,

Probably be easier for us if you could state what model Samsung you are having problems with.

Its a Samsung PS50D7HD

Certainly doesn't sound normal

If you have any warranty left, I'd be booking it in for a service call

Actually itís just out of manufacturer warranty, however I did purchase an extended warranty through OAMPS when I got the TV. I've never had any experience with these warranty's before but it should be interesting to see if they cover it. I have an awful feeling I paid $400 for the person on the other end of the phone to say it wonít cover it, but we shall wait and see I guess...

Ticking noise is getting progressively worse, now it does it at any random time

#5 Mr.Bitey

Mr.Bitey

AV Forum Member

• 7,832 posts

Posted 11 April 2009 - 12:20 AM

Poeple have reported ticking noises coming from their tv's usually after the screen has been replaced. Its believed that this is caused by the replacement screen not being fitted/glued/attached as well as the factory leading to uneven contractions/exppansion of the screen vs the chasis. Similar to car extractors / exhaust ticking after you turn it off as the different metals conract at different rates...

From what you describe it sounds like something similar - this could indicate an airflow/cooling problem with your TV - like a fan(s) not starting or the convection intakes clogged with dust/fluff making the tv hotter than normal.

Black screen - ma indicate the screen (or some component) starts to cool compared to when its displaying a picture - however it souldnt cool that quickly if its just displaying black inbetween a programme...

EDIT: A quick search shows that to be a plasma tv - they get pretty hot - i'd be getting a service call, or check the fan(s) (if its got any! - it probably does :) someone may be able to tell you if it does and where they are... if its still under a warraty, check your policy and get it checked out before something serious goes wrong!

EDIT2: Other reports of ticking noises is usually noticed when the TV is turned off (and starts to cool).. not generally when its in operation and 'up to temp'...

Cheers,
Bitey

Edited by Mr.Bitey, 11 April 2009 - 12:25 AM.

#6 haydeng

haydeng

AV Forum Member

• 11 posts

Posted 11 April 2009 - 07:16 AM

Poeple have reported ticking noises coming from their tv's usually after the screen has been replaced. Its believed that this is caused by the replacement screen not being fitted/glued/attached as well as the factory leading to uneven contractions/exppansion of the screen vs the chasis. Similar to car extractors / exhaust ticking after you turn it off as the different metals conract at different rates...

Mate you'd never guess it, but my screen was replaced about 18 months under warranty.

It might be a case now of going back to the people that did the original repair work, unless they dont offer any warranty on the work they completed other than just the term of the manufacturers warranty remaining.

It still seems weird that it used to only happen changing inputs, but as I mentioned before it now starts while im just watching tv/playing xbox now... so the problem has got worse... I wouldnt have thought from the heat it could contract/expand so quick and then stop

#7 diesel

diesel

AV Forum Member

• 13,787 posts

Posted 11 April 2009 - 08:41 AM

It might be a case now of going back to the people that did the original repair work, unless they dont offer any warranty on the work they completed other than just the term of the manufacturers warranty remaining.

Most repairers only offer 3 months warranty on the work they carry out

#8 haydeng

haydeng

AV Forum Member

• 11 posts

Posted 11 April 2009 - 09:16 AM

I've had a listen to it again this morning, it really doesnt sound like the case is expanding/contracting. It more of a ticking noise coming from the middle top of the display. if i look through the cooling vents theres a bunch of electrical stuff there.

I'll get onto the extended warranty people and see what they say