• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Eggbeater

Eggbeater

AV Forums Member

• PipPip
  • 218 posts

Posted 17 March 2009 - 11:35 AM

Has anyone got any further information about the problems with the Sony TV chip MZC3001DB? Apparently faulty and TV's with them are being replaced for free out of warranty in Japan.. Not sure if Sony Australia will replace for free or not? Googled but could not find more details?

http://www.dtvforum....mp;hl=mcz3001db

Thanks

#2 Eggbeater

Eggbeater

AV Forums Member

• PipPip
  • 218 posts

Posted 18 March 2009 - 04:12 PM

.. bump.. sorry :(

#3 Randwick

Randwick

AV Forums Member

• 17 posts

Posted 19 March 2009 - 10:49 AM

I had a problem in my KVHR with the MCZ3001DB IC. It was faulty. Got some replacements and got a friend to put them in. Fixed the problem. Brother in law also had to replace his. The problem is apparently know by technicians repairing KVHR's, but they will often just replace the entire D board rather then replace the individual IC's. That obviously costs alot more and is not necessary. Not sure if Sony in Australia will replace for free.. They should.. chips have a problem.. but did not call them as got it all done cheaply..

#4 Sydney546

Sydney546

AV Forums Member

• 16 posts

Posted 19 March 2009 - 11:21 AM

I have replaced a number of these IC's.. they do have a problem.. technically the IC's get stuck in a loop which causes them to malfunction.. PM me if you need the full technical defects/details of the problems with them.. but yes a reasonably rare Sony fault.. Not sure how well known the problem is as most techs will just replace the D board.. as that is what the self diagnosis discloses as the problem.. replacing the D board is also much easier, more profitable, but yes more expensive.. but very simple to fix, just get some replacements and put them in.. problem solved.. but beware of retained power that can still be present even if TV turned off for few days... very dangerous.. If not handy/techie just contact Sony and they will probably sort out for you and I expect would replace for free based on faulty IC.. I doubt they will deny issue, Sony are generally very good and reasonable about replacing defective products, may even get a new TV if lucky..

Sony Customer Care Number 1300 137 669

#5 Bergust

Bergust

AV Forums Member

• 36 posts

Posted 21 March 2009 - 08:51 AM

Same here, just desoldered the old chips, put in chip carries and when the chips finally arrived, it was as good as new. Actualy a lot easier to repair than I thought. Given the Service manual actualy points to those chips in the first place (from the 10 blink fault code), I'm really surprised a tech with any knowledge would replace the entire D board, its more labour to remove it!