Photo

Can't Pick Up Abc & Channel 10 Hd - Antenna Problem?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 dezkhoo

dezkhoo

AV Forum Member

• 8 posts

Posted 16 February 2009 - 06:59 PM

Hi, sorry for not knowing anything about this stuff at all, just got a new digital tv - samsung 40 inch lcd. I have no idea about any of this stuff & can't find anything which fits my exact problem.

I have done the auto store/search feature - and it picks up all the analog channels (horrible reception though), and all the sbs, channel 7 & channel 9 HD channels (15 in total) - but none of the Channel 10 or ABC HD channels.

Is this because of the antenna not picking up higher than channel 10? Which I've read up on.

I live in doncaster, which is pretty central, so there aren't issues there with my location.

Thanks in advance for any help...

#2 dezkhoo

dezkhoo

AV Forum Member

• 8 posts

Posted 16 February 2009 - 07:20 PM

Correction, I can pick up ABC on analogue, but not channel 10 too... Very frustrating...

#3 alanh

alanh

AV Forum Member

• 12,553 posts

Posted 16 February 2009 - 07:36 PM

dezkhoo,
A classic case of an old antenna not designed for channels 11 & 12 which are used by TEN and ABC digital respectively.

Read Get the Best Reception, Melbourne and read the links

There are some antenna installers as posters in this strand.

AlanH

#4 beeblebrox

beeblebrox

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,557 posts

Posted 18 February 2009 - 08:06 PM

Hi, sorry for not knowing anything about this stuff at all, just got a new digital tv - samsung 40 inch lcd. I have no idea about any of this stuff & can't find anything which fits my exact problem.

I have done the auto store/search feature - and it picks up all the analog channels (horrible reception though), and all the sbs, channel 7 & channel 9 HD channels (15 in total) - but none of the Channel 10 or ABC HD channels.

Is this because of the antenna not picking up higher than channel 10? Which I've read up on.

I live in doncaster, which is pretty central, so there aren't issues there with my location.

Thanks in advance for any help...

Dezhoo,
Whilst Doncaster is central, there are parts that have issues with hills, trees and the ever expanding shoppingtown.

From your description it does sound like an antenna problem but could also be location and cabling too.

Give us a call if you want to discuss.

Cheers
Jason

#5 blybo

blybo

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,463 posts

Posted 25 February 2009 - 01:22 PM

I live 2 km from Doncaster Shoppingtown in a 2 yo stand alone townhouse just off Belmore Road, direct line of sight to the Dandenongs which up till now gave us perfect digital reception downstairs and analogue upstairs. Recently (around the 12-15th Feb) we lost channel 10, sbs and 2 on SD DTV through a Toppy 5000MP PVR. I have been traveling a bit lately so can't pin point when our troubles started and don't know if they are all connected or not. Around the same time we had an electrician fix an issue where lights dimmed when we turned out kettle on (all my hifi gear is connected through a power point in our kitchen, some photos are linked in my sig) and now it appears to cause interference in the form of horizontal lines on the channels we still get :angry2: .

Is this a known local issue or more likely to be something the electrician has done? This electrician also claims to be an AV installer but our previous experience with him suggests he is not that cluey, unfortunately he is the builders tradie and wired the house originally so its his problem to fix, although every solution seems to create another issue :rolleyes: :blink:

#6 mtv

mtv

AV Forum Member

• 6,047 posts

Posted 25 February 2009 - 02:07 PM

blybo,

Given the reception fault occurred around the same time the electrician performed work (I assume in the ceiling) it's quite possible he's damaged a coax cable or connection.

#7 beeblebrox

beeblebrox

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,557 posts

Posted 25 February 2009 - 08:59 PM

I live 2 km from Doncaster Shoppingtown in a 2 yo stand alone townhouse just off Belmore Road, direct line of sight to the Dandenongs which up till now gave us perfect digital reception downstairs and analogue upstairs. Recently (around the 12-15th Feb) we lost channel 10, sbs and 2 on SD DTV through a Toppy 5000MP PVR. I have been traveling a bit lately so can't pin point when our troubles started and don't know if they are all connected or not. Around the same time we had an electrician fix an issue where lights dimmed when we turned out kettle on (all my hifi gear is connected through a power point in our kitchen, some photos are linked in my sig) and now it appears to cause interference in the form of horizontal lines on the channels we still get :angry2: .

Is this a known local issue or more likely to be something the electrician has done? This electrician also claims to be an AV installer but our previous experience with him suggests he is not that cluey, unfortunately he is the builders tradie and wired the house originally so its his problem to fix, although every solution seems to create another issue :rolleyes: :blink:

likely to be the electrician but I'd have a quick peek at the antenna and cabling to see if there's any obvious damage, we''ve had some atrocious winds lately.

You may need to get someone with a meter to check out the signal.

#8 blybo

blybo

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,463 posts

Posted 26 February 2009 - 09:02 AM

Thanks guys. checked the antenna (from the ground) last night and its still pointing in exactly the same direction as other townhouse next door who had their antennas installed by the same mob. Cabling still looks in original condition with the moisture loop still of the same diameter as next door. I tried re tuning last night and it only found channel 7 and channel 9 stations, 8 in total, no radio stations either.

The signal strength meter when tuning says sbs is only half strength but abc and 10 are full strength but still no signal. The electrician can't get back till next weekend so I guess we are stuck. I must check the signal from our HD stb to our projector, hadn't thought of that till now as it doesn't get used much in summer...

#9 blybo

blybo

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,463 posts

Posted 03 March 2009 - 05:54 PM

The plot thickens...
Last night I was home for a change with some spare time. Turned on my projector with a basic HD stb and every channel was perfect and its pluged into the same power switch :angry: . My pvr in the lounge room will now only pick up 7...

So now I'm thinking whatever the electrician has done has caused damage to my pvr's power supply or tuner. The work he is doing is all warranty work but I bet there is no way to prove that he has caused the issue and I'll be stuck having to replace my pvr :angry2: :angry2: :angry2: :angry2: :angry2: