• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Knox

Knox

AV Forums Member

• PipPipPip
  • 480 posts

Posted 23 January 2009 - 09:42 AM

Will the Tivo function properly without being connected to the internet ?

Does it need an internet connection not only for software upgrades but also for its unique EPG .

Is TiVo not able to access the FTA EPG.

If Tivo needs to be connected to the internet can this be done wireless ?

Without it's unique EPG can it still be programmed manually ?

I don't want to spend $700- then find it's useless ! :(

#2 diesel

diesel

AV Forums Member

• 13,782 posts

Posted 23 January 2009 - 09:50 AM

No

Does it need an internet connection not only for software upgrades but also for its unique EPG .
Yes, and also for the initial setup

No it can't

Yes, they sell a wireless adaptor for ~$69

I believe so, although it then only becomes slightly more useful than your VCR. The power of the TiVo is in it's EPG and other internet functions. Otherwise get another brand HD PVR

You can get it for much cheaper than that, but suggest you need to have it hooked up to the net. No too many disappointed owners AKAIK

#3 jakes

jakes

AV Forums Member

• PipPipPipPip
  • 907 posts

Posted 23 January 2009 - 09:51 AM

Most of your questions are answered here. Additionally, there's also a very, very long thread on the Tivo where I'm sure your questions have been answered.
Edit: looks, like I was beaten to it, by diesel. And now you've got all your answers!

Edited by jakes, 23 January 2009 - 09:52 AM.

#4 peterca

peterca

AV Forums Member

• PipPipPipPip
  • 967 posts

Posted 23 January 2009 - 09:51 AM

No

Yes

No, it can't

Yes

Not sure on this one, maybe a TiVo owner could answer this.

#5 Knox

Knox

AV Forums Member

• PipPipPip
  • 480 posts

Posted 23 January 2009 - 07:32 PM

Thanks for the quick response and advice

I don't think the Tivo is for me

So what are the favourite high definition PVR's ?

#6 peterca

peterca

AV Forums Member

• PipPipPipPip
  • 967 posts

Posted 23 January 2009 - 07:48 PM

Really depends on your budget and requirements.

#7 diesel

diesel

AV Forums Member

• 13,782 posts

Posted 23 January 2009 - 07:50 PM

Have a read of the HD PVR Comparison pinned at the top of this subforum. It gives a good pros and con of the various models.

I have a Beyonwiz and thinks it's great. It's stable and reliable as a PVR, but also has media player capabilities which we use quite a bit in our household.

#8 Notace

Notace

AV Forums Member

• 38 posts

Posted 24 January 2009 - 12:50 PM

Thanks for the quick response and advice

I don't think the Tivo is for me

The main contenders are the various Beyondwiz units, and the Topfield 7000 and 7100. Beyondwiz will replay all sorts of files so are a media player as well as a PVR. So they cost more than the Topfield units, which are PVRs only (although they will play MP3s). You will find the owners of both brands will be equally passionate about them. Many have one or more of each (think of the remote hell!!!!), so you really need to make up your own mind, based on a comparison of the individual units, your needs, and the prices. I went to each manufacturer's website and downloaded the manuals, as well as spending a lot of time on the forums here, the Topfield forums (http://forum.itopfield.com.au/) and the whirlpool forums. There is also a Beyondwiz user forum, but I don't have a link.

There are three Beyondwiz units. One (P1) has only an external HDD, which you provide. Another (P2)has an internal hard drive. The S1 has an internal HDD and a DVD player. They all will replay a variety of file formats (MPG, WMV, MOV, MP# etc. etc.) They, like the Topfield units, are IceTV compatible.

For my money, I chose the Topfield 7100 (7000 is the same but has a smaller hard drive and only wired internet. 7100 has wired and wireless. So 7000 is a little cheaper. Both accept an external USB hard drive to extend the storage).

Hope this helps

Ron

#9 mistered

mistered

AV Forums Member

• PipPip
  • 176 posts

Posted 24 January 2009 - 01:25 PM

There are three Beyondwiz units. One (P1) has only an external HDD, which you provide. Another (P2)has an internal hard drive. The S1 has an internal HDD and a DVD player. They all will replay a variety of file formats (MPG, WMV, MOV, MP# etc. etc.) They, like the Topfield units, are IceTV compatible.

Its Beyonwiz (without the 'd') and there are four models. The P1 certainly has an internal HDD, I think Ron was thinking of the H1 which was designed for remote file playback.

The P2 is an upgrade of the original P1, but includes analog inputs to enable recording from external video source like Foxtel etc, and comes with a larger 320 GB HDD. Both P1 and P2 can also use an external USB HDD.

Beyonwiz

cheers, John.

#10 diesel

diesel

AV Forums Member

• 13,782 posts

Posted 24 January 2009 - 02:08 PM

Many have one or more of each (think of the remote hell!!!!),

Ron, get a Logitech harmony or other universal remote control that does macros and you will only need one remote. For $75, easily the best money I have ever spent

#11 prl

prl

AV Forums Member

• 2,620 posts

Posted 24 January 2009 - 06:00 PM

For my money, I chose the Topfield 7100 (7000 is the same but has a smaller hard drive and only wired internet. 7100 has wired and wireless. So 7000 is a little cheaper. Both accept an external USB hard drive to extend the storage).

The TF7000HDPVRt has no ethernet, wired or otherwise.