• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Clinton

Clinton

AV Forum Member

• 9 posts

Posted 31 December 2008 - 04:41 PM

hello,

has anyone ever attempted to recieve NZ DTV from east coast of Australia including tassie.

maybe ill try when im at point lookout on wednesday night.

Clinton

#2 dryfry

dryfry

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPipPip
  • 728 posts

Posted 31 December 2008 - 05:50 PM

hello,

has anyone ever attempted to recieve NZ DTV from east coast of Australia including tassie.

maybe ill try when im at point lookout on wednesday night.

Clinton

New Zealand use Mpeg4 coding compared to Australia's Mpeg2 So unless your boxes can decode Mpeg4 nothing will happen from NZ.
But maybe NZ people could pick up Australian DVB as Mpeg4 boxes are backward compatible with Mpeg2

#3 alanh

alanh

AV Forum Member

• 12,555 posts

Posted 31 December 2008 - 07:15 PM

Liz & Dryfry,
NZ DTV is not only MPEG4, but all channels are UHF
Analog is different
NZ channel = # Australian channel #
1 = 0 (-1 MHz) the width of a dipole is 3.232 m, the reflector is 10 % longer and a director is 10 % shorter. This is a huge antenna! The antenna cable is connected in a small gap in the centre.
2 = 1 (-2 MHz)
3 = 2 (-2 MHz)
4 = 6
5 = 7
6 = 8
7 = 9
8 = 9A
9 = 10
10 = 11
11 = 12

Over the years there has been some reception of NZ channel 1 particularly in summer when the barametric pressures are correct.

Good luck

AlanH

#4 cyril

cyril

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPipPip
  • 834 posts

Posted 02 January 2009 - 07:00 AM

Over the years there has been some reception of NZ channel 1 particularly in summer when the barametric pressures are correct.

But corrrect me if I am wrong but sporadic E propagation for very large distances rarely extends beyond 250-300MHz, so the chances of our BandIV/V transmitters piping that far in such conditions would be very rare compared to the regular VHF occurances.

Cyril

#5 alanh

alanh

AV Forum Member

• 12,555 posts

Posted 02 January 2009 - 11:22 AM

Cyrl,
You are correct, that is why I quoted the analog channels.

AlanH

#6 Torontoguy

Torontoguy

AV Forum Member

• 7 posts

Posted 08 April 2009 - 04:47 AM

Hi, this topic interests me as it looks like NZ so far is ahead of Australia in this area. Picking up UHF would be difficult if even possible but what about your freeview satellite?
Does the foot print of your sat cover any of Australia? Is it not an Optus sat that delivers your signals?
If it did cover the east coast of Oz (even the bare edge of the coast would mean many of Australia’s population) could we not buy the box and dish in NZ and bring it back? Um.... Maybe tell customs its a souvenir from NZ?? hehe

Just a thought......

Dave.

#7 cyril

cyril

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPipPip
  • 834 posts

Posted 16 April 2009 - 06:28 AM

Hi Dave, Optus D1 has a NZ spot beam that pretty much limits any usable reception in Aus, I understand that a 3-4m dish could potentially get something but have not seen anyone that has actually done it.

Cheers
Cyril

#8 HillsTas

HillsTas

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPip
  • 299 posts

Posted 22 April 2009 - 10:38 AM

Here is the footprint if you are interested:

http://www.lyngsat-m...ptusd1_nzb.html

Cheers

Dave

#9 Torontoguy

Torontoguy

AV Forum Member

• 7 posts

Posted 23 April 2009 - 12:08 AM

Thanks Dave. Well, so much for that idea :(
I checked the NZ TV guide and it looks like we would be jumping out of the pot and into the fire anyway.

Have a good one!

Dave.

#10 tasbloke

tasbloke

AV Forum Member

• 19 posts

Posted 16 August 2009 - 02:06 PM

Hey guys, I have often thought of getting someone in NZ to get a second box for SKY TV and then getting them to send it to me in tassie (we get about 5 tv channels from SKY NZ in OZ as they are on an NZ/AUS beam on the sat.)

Not sure if it is worth it or not - main channels on this beam of interest is Sky movies and the 63 Music video channel which looks good.

Is there anyone is NZ who can tape me some of the 63 channel and send it to me so I can see if it is worth investigating getting it more or not? I would cover tape or dvd plus postage costs etc..

Please email me is you can help: tasbloke81@hotmail.com

Cheers
marc