• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#1 Big Dan

Big Dan

DTV Forums Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 197 posts

Posted 13 December 2008 - 10:33 PM

I'm about to lay down some dosh on a Logitech Harmony 525 remote control, and I was wondering if it will be able to support 2 PVRs with the same remote without getting each other confused. I have a DGTEC DG-HD160PVR and a Centrex CTPVR160TT SD PVR and would like to be able to control them both with this new remote. I've checked with the Logitech website, and both are supported, as well as my TV, DVD-R/VHS and SDTV/DVD (hooked up to a 5.1 channel sound system). Thanks in advance!

#2 wheelz

wheelz

DTV Forums Member

• 4,267 posts

Posted 13 December 2008 - 10:47 PM

Yep wont be a problem.

#3 allanjohn

allanjohn

DTV Forums Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 203 posts

Posted 14 December 2008 - 07:05 AM

You just nee to call them different names and it'll work fine.

#4 diesel

diesel

DTV Forums Master

• 13,782 posts

Posted 14 December 2008 - 08:36 AM

I have mine controlling two games consoles in two separate activities and it works a charm. The kids can put bothe the PS2 and Wii on with no imtervention from dad B)

#5 Stux

Stux

DTV Forums Member

• 553 posts

Posted 16 December 2008 - 03:33 PM

I have mine controlling two games consoles in two separate activities and it works a charm. The kids can put bothe the PS2 and Wii on with no imtervention from dad B)

I have my Harmony One controlling a dvd recorder, tivo, xbox/dvd player, bluray player, wii, av reciever/radio, ipod and tv

no problems in fact, its fantastic :)

#6 swordfish805

swordfish805

DTV Forums Member

• 4,314 posts

Posted 16 December 2008 - 04:32 PM

I have my Harmony One controlling a dvd recorder, tivo, xbox/dvd player, bluray player, wii, av reciever/radio, ipod and tv

How does it control the ipod?

#7 diesel

diesel

DTV Forums Master

• 13,782 posts

Posted 16 December 2008 - 08:19 PM

How does it control the ipod?

I'd be interested in that too! :huh:

I guess it controls the Hi-Fi that the iPod is connected to??

#8 Stux

Stux

DTV Forums Member

• 553 posts

Posted 20 December 2008 - 01:13 PM

I'd be interested in that too! :huh:

I guess it controls the Hi-Fi that the iPod is connected to??

No.

You need to get the Universal iPod Dock from Apple which has an infrared port.

http://store.apple.c...;mco=MjE0NTAzNw

The Harmony can then be told to control an "Apple iPod" and it will work. Alternatively you can use the Apple Remote to teach the harmony, and it will then match up to the iPod preset.

The Harmony will control your hifi for volume/muting and the ipod for next track, previous track, pause/play and off/on

Edited by Stux, 20 December 2008 - 01:17 PM.

#9 andy08

andy08

DTV Forums Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 158 posts

Posted 21 December 2008 - 10:42 AM

My 525 said it couldn't do the Wii about a year ago, has there been a change ?

The other problem I have is changing AV inputs. My TV is a Philips plasma which changes inputs like the Samsung on option 3. I tried changing the delays like it says in the help but resorted to a work-around in the end. I also thought of setting up a sequence if I can't get it to work the way it should.

Andy

#10 Stux

Stux

DTV Forums Member

• 553 posts

Posted 21 December 2008 - 02:06 PM

My 525 said it couldn't do the Wii about a year ago, has there been a change ?

The Wii uses Bluetooth. You will not be able to control a Wii with an infrared remote control.

What you can do is control the volume on your hifi, and handle all the video/audio switching, modes etc.

You will need to use the Wiimote to turn on/off the wii and use the wii...

But that's not so bad, since you have to use the wiimote to use a wii ;)

#11 andy08

andy08

DTV Forums Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 158 posts

Posted 21 December 2008 - 05:58 PM

Thanks. Yes, that's the way I found it to be with the Wii.

#12 andymid

andymid

DTV Forums Member

• 4 posts

Posted 22 December 2008 - 08:39 AM

The other problem I have is changing AV inputs. My TV is a Philips plasma which changes inputs like the Samsung on option 3. I tried changing the delays like it says in the help but resorted to a work-around in the end. I also thought of setting up a sequence if I can't get it to work the way it should.

Andy

I have the Harmony 785 and a Philips LCD and gave up trying to get the TV to start on the correct input for the DVD player by cycling through the inputs like you do with the Philips remote for my TV.

Then I discovered that there are commands in the Harmony Database associated with going directly to each of the inputs (e.g. InputVideo1, Inputvideo2, Inputvideo3 and Inputside) even though there aren't the equivalent buttons on the TV's remote.

I added these as "Additional Buttons" on the Harmony and gave them meaningful names such as "DVD" for "Inputvideo1" (which is really Component 1) and then you added these as commands within an Activity (e.g. watch DVD).

#13 Leeroy07

Leeroy07

DTV Forums Member

• PipPipPipPip
  • 120 posts

Posted 22 December 2008 - 11:21 AM

My Logitech Harmony 525 controls:
5 x DVD Recorders & Players
1 x CD Recorder
1 x Plasma TV
1 x amplifer

You'll need to setup which to turn on viz:

Pioneer DVDR (choose the main)
Plasma TV
amplifer
etc.,

One catch:
If you turn the above equipment with the Harmony, you need to turn off all with the Harmony.
I turn on all the above with Harmony and use my original remote to do other functions or turn off etc., this upset the Harmony next time when you use it.

Edited by Leeroy07, 22 December 2008 - 11:26 AM.

#14 Stux

Stux

DTV Forums Member

• 553 posts

Posted 22 December 2008 - 11:24 AM

I have the Harmony 785 and a Philips LCD and gave up trying to get the TV to start on the correct input for the DVD player by cycling through the inputs like you do with the Philips remote for my TV.

Then I discovered that there are commands in the Harmony Database associated with going directly to each of the inputs (e.g. InputVideo1, Inputvideo2, Inputvideo3 and Inputside) even though there aren't the equivalent buttons on the TV's remote.

I added these as "Additional Buttons" on the Harmony and gave them meaningful names such as "DVD" for "Inputvideo1" (which is really Component 1) and then you added these as commands within an Activity (e.g. watch DVD).

You can also add new commands, and then when you go to teach it the command you can select "i don't have the original remote, but I know the command" and then select the InputVideo1 and name it DVD, for example

#15 andy08

andy08

DTV Forums Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 158 posts

Posted 22 December 2008 - 07:15 PM

I tried those before very early on but they didn't seem to work. I'll give them another go and see what happens.

Thanks

#16 Hakka

Hakka

DTV Forums Member

• 1,501 posts

Posted 22 December 2008 - 07:20 PM

Profiles in the database for pieces of equipment that don't work usually get replaced by working ones after a while. Some people upload some rediculous configuration for new equipment, check out the profile for the pana bd-30, around 100 commands that dont work and the ones that do are labelled wrong, or maybe thats been fixed by now.

Hakka.

#17 andy08

andy08

DTV Forums Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 158 posts

Posted 23 December 2008 - 06:08 PM

Thank's Guys. Starting to get somewhere at last.

The direct commands wouldn't work at Device level as I had found before, wouldn't work when added as additional buttons at Activity level, but work well in a sequence at Activity level. I tried them both ways in a sequence, as direct commands(inputAV1 etc) and also longhand(Inputnext,Down,Down,Right etc) and both worked.

It makes me wonder what is wrong when trying to use input select option 3 which is exactly the way the Philips selector works. The best I could get it to do as an additional button at Activity level was to move from the first selection to the second but no further. When trying to select the TV alone it would come up at TV at the top of the list, then change to the next one down. I tried changing the timings but why would it work in a sequence and not within option 3.

I think I'll ask Logitech to add a fifth option to the input selection options: Use a sequence!!!

Cheers

Andy

#18 andy08

andy08

DTV Forums Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 158 posts

Posted 01 January 2009 - 06:45 PM

I got the correct input issue sorted on my Philips Plasma following a tip I picked up in the Reviews forum. Try setting the Power On delay around 12000ms or greater and see if that resolves the issue with your LCD. I'll bet it's the same as mine and the Samsung. See the post in the other forum and the explanations.

Now to delete all the sequence I created.

#19 diesel

diesel

DTV Forums Master

• 13,782 posts

Posted 01 January 2009 - 07:49 PM

Profiles in the database for pieces of equipment that don't work usually get replaced by working ones after a while.

Hakka, not always.

Everytime I go into my profile to adjust settings for my TV, I get a message saying that an updated version is available. i downloaded it as another TV, and guess what?
It has less than half the commands of my setup! WTF!!! :wacko:

Obviously I just deleted it and ignore any further messages about it.

#20 andy08

andy08

DTV Forums Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 158 posts

Posted 02 January 2009 - 03:40 PM

I'm wondering if they update them from our setups after we hit the "my remote is working fine" after making changes. I started using it when I was offline and had to do my setup around at the kids and couldn't check it out until later, figuring saying no would take me somewhere I didn't want to go.

I hope they don't take any notice of my AWA DR711 DVD Recorder setup. It's based on an alternative they offered that had as many commands I don't have as were missing from mine. After that experience I'm going to reprogram it from scratch now I've got the hang of it just to set the record straight.

#21 Hakka

Hakka

DTV Forums Member

• 1,501 posts

Posted 02 January 2009 - 06:42 PM

I think they rely on users informing them that a profile is wrong. A while back I manually set up a device from scratch and needed tech support to do something to it (cant remember what), after that when I added that device to another account the default profile was the one I had set up.

Hakka.

#22 Big Dan

Big Dan

DTV Forums Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 197 posts

Posted 05 January 2009 - 07:23 PM

Thanks for your help guys! Just to let you know, I did all the setting up and it works perfectly, and there's no clashes between PVRs or other devices.

I now have 10 devices that use the remote - my TV, both PVRs, the VHS/DVD-R Combo, the DVD/SDTV STB combo, iPod dock (on a temporary basis), my mini Hi-fi system, a SDTV set-top box hooked up to that system, a digital photo frame purchased from Coles, AND a Mitre 10-store brand remote control fan! :lol:

Figured I might as well ditch ALL of my remotes. :lol: :lol:

#23 SBro

SBro

DTV Forums Member

• 6 posts

Posted 06 July 2009 - 05:12 PM

I have a Panasonic TV (50" plasma), Panasonic DVR (DMR-EX88), Panasonic Blu-Ray (DMP-BD35). Even though the model numbers were correct the Harmony remote (525) keeps on turning on the DVR instead of the Blu-Ray (described as DVD player on remote as they don't seem to have Blu-Rays separate to DVRs players in listing).

So I have separate buttons for device functions which operate the same device. Anyone else have this problem.

Edited by SBro, 06 July 2009 - 05:13 PM.

#24 diesel

diesel

DTV Forums Master

• 13,782 posts

Posted 06 July 2009 - 08:39 PM

You can rename the Devices to what ever you want, and you could also try the "confirm infrared commands" which will ask you to fire off a couple of commands from the original BD remote and then it will try and find the correct codes in the DB.

If that doesn't work, you could learn all the commands from the original remote...

#25 benz1980i

benz1980i

DTV Forums Member

• PipPipPipPip
  • 69 posts

Posted 24 July 2009 - 11:33 PM

I have been setting up my Harmony One tonight. I have TV, PVR, Blu Ray, DVD 5.1 stereo (while reciever is repaired) and PS3.

I want to have two choices when it comes to the PS3. At the moment it turns the PVR off, even if it is recording!! How can I set two activities:
PS3 ON- Changes input hdmi3, sound to line 1 other decives off (I understand I cant turn the PS3 on unless I get the adaptor)
And the other to do all of the above but leave the PVR on.

Thanks guys