Harmony One Universal Remote

• Please log in to reply
80 replies to this topic

#76 diesel

diesel

AV Forum Member

• 13,787 posts

Posted 05 August 2011 - 10:25 PM

Fluidtek seem to have gone off the boil. Logitech have a store on eBay and are selling all their remotes for much more realistic prices. Certainly better than any price I have seen from Fluidtek in along time!

#77 11seaside

11seaside

AV Forum Member

• 3 posts

Posted 17 August 2011 - 09:28 PM

I have seen plenty of comments in different threads including a pre-release thread but not a user review - sorry if there is one and it didn't come up in the search.

Firstly the price is between $181.95 and $399!

With a couple of ebay scammers (or one playing 2 roles?) that start to sell them from $0.99 but ALWAYS magically reach around the $200 mark (+ $19 to $36 postage). If you look at the bidding although anonymous it seems the same group of people (on a rotational basis) who have only bought a few items over many years as being ebay members seem to bid almost solely with the same seller. The concept is to let you win for a few days and then gazump you with a few hours to go and some people will increase the bid to over $200 and get it - or let the seller win it. If you trace back often the sale is not recorded in the feedback for the buyer or the seller - but done enough times to give them a good rating. One of the multiple "successful bidders" also sells the same remotes for a higher cost with a Buy Me Now price - so I think it is the same person. I haven't contacted eBay as they don't seem to care about this sort of thing - as long as they are paid their fees - they are happy.

I bought mine from Trade Club for $181.95 + $9 postage - about a week from purchase to delivered.

Now about the remote...

Firstly I am VERY happy with it. My previous universal remote was an early Pronto with a "black and white" screen whereas the One has a colour screen. Also the Pronto (like the Harmony's big brother 1000i) needs two hands to hold it - the One is like a wand with the majority of buttons easily accessed with the one hand. However I have also (maybe out of habit) used two hands sometimes when using the touch screen. if you are fairly dextrous you should be able to operate everything with the one hand.

The package consists of the remote, charging station, 240v connector, USB connector, Lithium rechargable battery, brochures, software CD and polishing cloth.

The charging station has a tunnel underneath in which to conceal the power cord and allow it to lay flat. There is a light to let you know it is on - which I believe is a little too bright when I am watching a movie on the PJ.

The remote is in a bright piano shiny black finish with a rubbery texture underneath and fits your hand like a glove. It seems to me just the right weight and balance - heavy enough for you to respect it but not too heavy to fatigue you. There is a motion sensor in the remote to make it light up when you pick it up. The length of time the light stays on is configurable to 4 settings. Being shiny black with a touch screen it is a fingerprint magnet - I suppose that is why they give you a little black polishing cloth...

The touch screen is at first divided into three wide macro buttons - Watch TV, Listen to Radio, Watch a DVD etc.. these "Activities" are configurable - I have 9 which is 3 pages of 3. Some are Watch TV, Watch TV on PJ, Watch Blu-Ray on PJ etc.. There are arrows that appear to scroll to the other buttons. The macro can be as simple as to turn your TV on - or turn your TV on, your TV input, turn your set top box on, go to a certain channel, turn your receiver on and select TV on the output etc... You can customise the order in which each device is turned on, the delay (if needed) and also add other commands like open the tray to the dvd etc...

Once the TV is on, the touch screen can then show the icons for 6 channels at a time and as many pages as you need in any group configuration you choose.
You can also choose device and go to another screen to show more buttons like Red, Blue, Yellow, Green, brightness, contrast etc...

The "normal buttons" are mapped to your selected devices eg channel up and down on STB, volume on receiver etc.. all configurable. These also light up and are easy to navigate. If I could change one thing I would have preferred the volume and channel selection toggle buttons to swap places...

The software provided on CD - once installed takes you to the Logitech website where you open a free account and list all your devices and configure the remote accordingly. Once you are happy with the setup you plug your remote into the computer via a USB cable and download the file. The connection time for me is about 2 minutes...

Before you start I recommend that you go to all your equipment and write down the make and model number and think about what you need to happen - it will save you a lot of time in the long run. If your device is not listed - obscure/really old or very new it will suggest possible matches or you can learn the IR commands/buttons from the original remote. The device list is huge including air conditioners, lighting systems etc...

Once you have added all your equipment and decided what macros you want the procedure is very easy - a series of very easy questions come up which the software already guesses the configuration and you click Yes 99% of the time. EZPZ. :)

Then comes more fun - you can rename the macros, change icons, customise most things and add FTA and Foxtel icons etc...

So in a nutshell I am very happy with the remote and more importantly my wife is - she was having a load of trouble just working out which remote to use - let alone which button to press. :)

Pros:
Nice colour screen and ergonomics
Easier to program than the Pronto
Nice overall feel and looks
Well lit
No more batteries to buy (for a long time?) - my Denon 3805 eats batteries big time!

Cons:
Not exactly cheap!
Dust/oil/fingerprint magnet
No good if you have really big/fat fingers

Great review Mjr69, pleanty of information and good to here a lot of positive feedback. I have been looking at these online.

Cheers

11seaside

#78 shaynos

shaynos

AV Forum Member

• Pip
  • 117 posts

Posted 02 September 2011 - 10:17 PM

Hi There,

Been looking at buying a Harmony one as they are on special in the logitech store online for $129. However the discussion on the Harmony 900 with Ir blaster has intrigued me. Can someone pls enlighten this ignoramus? The logitech store doesn't even mention IR blaster under specs.

Also which do you recommend for a URC newbie (i.e. is one a lot easier to set-up/use than the other)?

Thanks in advance!!!

Edited by shaynos, 02 September 2011 - 10:45 PM.

#79 diesel

diesel

AV Forum Member

• 13,787 posts

Posted 07 September 2011 - 09:13 PM

Been looking at buying a Harmony one as they are on special in the logitech store online for $129. However the discussion on the Harmony 900 with Ir blaster has intrigued me. Can someone pls enlighten this ignoramus? The logitech store doesn't even mention IR blaster under specs.

The Harmony 900 controls devices by Radio Frequency (RF) rather than Infra Red (IR) frequency. Therefore for non RF devices (which is usually just about everything) that only work on IR, you need the IR blasters which recieve the signals and convert them to infrared and then 'blast' them to all the devices.
The benefit of RF is that you don't need line-of-sight to control your devices.

Some info from the Harmony website here

#80 MRCRIST

MRCRIST

AV Forum Member

• 3,595 posts

Posted 07 October 2011 - 09:55 AM

Hi There,

Also which do you recommend for a URC newbie (i.e. is one a lot easier to set-up/use than the other)?

Thanks in advance!!!

I own the Harmony One. Overall ok but the touch screen was not designed for "Man Fingers" . I always manage to touch the adjacent button. A real pain.

Prefer the physical push button on the 785.

Edited by Crist, 07 October 2011 - 10:16 AM.

#81 AaA1

AaA1

AV Forum Member

• 6 posts

Posted 14 December 2011 - 08:26 PM

I own the Harmony One. Overall ok but the touch screen was not designed for "Man Fingers" . I always manage to touch the adjacent button. A real pain.

very true :)