• Please log in to reply
233 replies to this topic

#226 Eli

Eli

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPipPip
  • 747 posts

Posted 24 October 2011 - 03:16 PM

It has been a year since anybody posted on this 3800 thread...but I am giving it a go...hopefully, somebody might read and may be of help...

My 3800 has been wonderful...almost 2 years and a bit...but I have recently begun noticing that I loose sound from the center speaker...and I have to turn up the volume to recover the sound...

Anybody else had this happen?

Mine's been OK too. Is an SPL meter giving you similar info? (or is it really, really noticeable).

Have you tried another auto-setup or factory reset?

#227 Bolden

Bolden

AV Forum Member

• 23 posts

Posted 18 November 2011 - 08:54 AM

Hi all.....

Was wondering if I could ask a question? ;)

Have the 3800, and my Ps3, connected via HDMI.

I'm thinking of grabbing a headset for the small amount of online gaming I do, so I'd like them to double as headphones as well for other inputs so I don't keep Mrs Bolden up with the noise.

I've been looking at the turtle beach PX5's,
http://www.turtlebea...-force-px5.aspx
but was wondering about how I could rig this for other listening.

The headphone transmitter takes toslink, so I think that the theory is, I connect my devices to my amp (as I already have, Foxtel/DVD/PS3 via HDMI), and there is an optical out on the amp, so I connect that to the transmitter.

So far, this all makes a level of sense to me, the question is then, how do I tell the amp that I want to route my sound through the optical out instead of the speakers? Is that even possible?

Otherwise, I think that the option is to use a headphone 3.5mm jack to the Line in on the headphone transmitter, which I assume will work, but isn't digital sound, so not sure how the headphones will go doing it's 5.1 thing.

I'm no audiophile, so I'm not overly fussed, but figure if I'm going to by a headset so I can hear the game and chat (I need to keep the volume down of the amp) that I'd like to be able to purpose the headphones for other inputs......

Any thoughts/ideas/advice would be appreciated.

Cheers
Bolden

#228 Chopsus

Chopsus

AV Forum Member

• 14,617 posts

Posted 18 November 2011 - 11:03 AM

I don't know the whole answer, but I did notice the other day that the 3800 has specific "HeadPhones" settings in it's GUI Menu - have a dig in there

#229 Bolden

Bolden

AV Forum Member

• 23 posts

Posted 18 November 2011 - 12:28 PM

I don't know the whole answer, but I did notice the other day that the 3800 has specific "HeadPhones" settings in it's GUI Menu - have a dig in there

Excellent, thanks. I'll dig around.....

THinking about it more, I'm thinking if I use hdmi for video, and optical for audio, then I can use the optical out into the transmitter.
I think all I then need to do is setup each device in the 3800 to output to optical out.
Then just hit the button to turn of the speakers (or program the logitech to do it remotely).

#230 Chopsus

Chopsus

AV Forum Member

• 14,617 posts

Posted 06 January 2012 - 05:07 PM

Hi Guys,

I suspect I may be the only one wanting to do this, but I might be lucky and find someone who knows if this can be done.

I am using a 3800 as a pre/pro feeding a Theatron in a 5.1 setup.

I want to Bi-Amp the fronts as I did when using the amps in the 3800.

The 3800 does not want to cooperate and will only send the rear/back or presence signals from the pre outs. I was under the impression the Bi-amp setting is supposed to also work on the pre-outs (as well as the speaker terminals).

Is there a trick I am missing here?

I know I could use a Y cable to bi-amp, but that is not ideal as it will still be sending the full frequency range to both the high and mid ranges.

#231 bbar

bbar

AV Forum Member

• 6,901 posts

Posted 06 January 2012 - 07:29 PM

Hi Guys,

I suspect I may be the only one wanting to do this, but I might be lucky and find someone who knows if this can be done.

I am using a 3800 as a pre/pro feeding a Theatron in a 5.1 setup.

I want to Bi-Amp the fronts as I did when using the amps in the 3800.

The 3800 does not want to cooperate and will only send the rear/back or presence signals from the pre outs. I was under the impression the Bi-amp setting is supposed to also work on the pre-outs (as well as the speaker terminals).

Is there a trick I am missing here?

I know I could use a Y cable to bi-amp, but that is not ideal as it will still be sending the full frequency range to both the high and mid ranges.

Don't believe there is any difference re using two pre-outs or a Y cable as both send the full frequency and the crossover in the speakers does the filtering anyway.

I am not aware of any sacrifice by using a Y cable.

The 3800 manual does not say bi-amp setting affects internal amp only , so like you would assume the rear pre-outs would become the second copy of the fronts; but if not then as I said just get Y cables as there is no loss by using them as far as I know.

Edited by bbar, 06 January 2012 - 07:38 PM.

#232 Chopsus

Chopsus

AV Forum Member

• 14,617 posts

Posted 06 January 2012 - 07:51 PM

Don't believe there is any difference re using two pre-outs or a Y cable as both send the full frequency and the crossover in the speakers does the filtering anyway.

The 3800 manual does not say bi-amp setting affects internal amp only , so like you would assume the rear pre-outs would become the second copy of the fronts; but if not then as I said just get Y cables as there is no loss by using them as far as I know.

Thanks bbar,

I'll do some more homework, but I am sure I got the impression from the yam manual that the rear speaker outs did the high end and the standard left/right the mid/low end .... I thought removing the shorting bars on the speaker terminals bypassed the the passive crossover filters, which was the main reason for bi-amping?

The pre-outs on the yam are stupid when using the YPAO! It will only work if there are speakers connected to both the rear back outputs, even though I have told it there are none! <sigh>

Edited by Chopsus, 06 January 2012 - 07:52 PM.

#233 bbar

bbar

AV Forum Member

• 6,901 posts

Posted 07 January 2012 - 10:04 AM

QUOTE (bbar @ Jan 6 2012, 08:29 PM)

Thanks bbar,

I'll do some more homework, but I am sure I got the impression from the yam manual that the rear speaker outs did the high end and the standard left/right the mid/low end .... I thought removing the shorting bars on the speaker terminals bypassed the the passive crossover filters, which was the main reason for bi-amping?

The pre-outs on the yam are stupid when using the YPAO! It will only work if there are speakers connected to both the rear back outputs, even though I have told it there are none! <sigh>

As far as I know removing the bars does not bypass the crossovers. It is my understanding that the benefits are primarily -

1) reduce feedback from one speaker into the other for cleaner sound, though unsure how much benefit it provides ( supposedly there is some form of feedback when speakers draw power); and
2) provide the bass driver with it's own amp which goes to point 1 and provides additional power when required ( again, not sure how much power mid and high frequency drivers require, hence how much additional power would be available for the bass driver.

Note: above assumes there are separate mid and high frequency drivers, well high for sure but what if the bass driver also provided the mid range ( ala went up to 3000Hz or such).

Anyway, benefit probably depends on driver/crossover arrangement and quality of amp and speaker though some swear that there is a real noticeable difference with their speakers and some manufacturers recommend that some of their speakers are bi-amped.

Agelessgoodguy had to go with Y cables on his 4311 as he wanted a 9.2 system and could not bi-amp with 9.2 even though 7 channels were using external amp ( Theatron) like you. His front speakers are bi-amped as the manufacturer recommends that they are bi-amped for better SQ.

Cheers

Edited by bbar, 10 January 2012 - 03:59 PM.

#234 Chopsus

Chopsus

AV Forum Member

• 14,617 posts

Posted 09 January 2012 - 04:58 PM

OK - I had time to fiddle today and will report what I discovered in case it helps someone else in future.

After running YPAO it became very clear that the Bi-Amp setting does not work via the pre outs at all :pinch:

Whilst using the test signal in 7.1 mode shows all the channels work, switching it to Bi Amp simple results in the loss of the top or bottom end (depending on how connected) - Bloody dissapointing Yamaha as your manual clearly states the pre outs are the same as the speaker terminals!

Oh well - when the Y cables appear I will bi-amp then and reinstate 6.1 + presence driven by the reciever - this was my long term plan anyway.

I;m sure the wife wont notice the extra speakers reappearing :whistle:

Edited by Chopsus, 09 January 2012 - 06:06 PM.