• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#1 mantronic

mantronic

AV Forums Member

• PipPipPip
  • 282 posts

Posted 08 July 2008 - 04:00 PM

Someone posted this ... I think its a great find.

Its only after you try a panel for a few days that you discover certain big issues you may be sensitive to.

I had a bravia that wore me down with its interface, viewing angles and artifacts. I had a Plasma that almost burnt my eyes out with gaming phosphor trails. I could not return these items as they were not faulty as such but frankly i hated them. Lucky for me they broke within days.

But this DSE policy will help you avoid this buyer remorse ... if only for 14 days.

Plus it saves you arguing with some manufactuer about whether your 2 dead pixes, 3 flashlights and clouds qualify as faults or are within spec. :o

Id urge everyone to give these guys a chance to price match, test the TV hard for a week, and return if you arent 100% happy.

http://www.dse.com.a...logs/INS0000017

CHANGE OF MIND RETURNS
Shop with confidence with our 14 day money back guarantee. For 'Change of Mind' purchases, goods can only be accepted for refund or exchange in unmarked, original condition and packaging, complete with all instruction books, accessories, etc. All returns must be accompanied by your Sales Docket.

Note: Refunds on 'Change of Mind' purchases do not apply to batteries, semi-conductors, video games, music CDs, music cassettes, headphones, health products, VHS video movies, video⁄audio recording tapes, DVD movie titles computer software, contracted mobile phones, or pre-paid phone or internet services and electronic account recharges.

If purchased through the Web or Direct Sales a Return Authority Number (also referred to as an RA Number) is required before you return this stock. Contact 1300 366 644 to obtain an RA Number.

#2 harrydmofo

harrydmofo

AV Forums Member

• Pip
  • 77 posts

Posted 08 July 2008 - 04:06 PM

this DSE policy will help you avoid this buyer remorse ... if only for 14 days.

Agreed ! Buyer remorse insurance, good policy.

#3 cactus

cactus

AV Forums Member

• Pip
  • 92 posts

Posted 08 July 2008 - 04:38 PM

interesting,
I asked the same Q at my local HN store whilst enquiring about a $2K plasma.
"you got to be joking" was the reply
should be standard across the board when spending these sort of $'s
good find mantronic

#4 kulfi

kulfi

AV Forums Member

• 4,395 posts

Posted 08 July 2008 - 04:52 PM

Remember that DSE is one of the costliest retailers and negotiating in a Dick Smith PowerHouse is not common. You'll have to pay a bucket-load of dollars to get the TV home in the first place. I agree that if you don't like it, you can give it back and put the cash back into your pocket.

However, what are you supposed to do if you're happy with your purchase ? Go to some other retailer and bargain his pants off, then return the first TV to Dick Smith. This looks like the only possibility to me.

This is quite inconvenient. I prefer to fiddle with the TVs in the store before making my choice.

#5 ohjeez

ohjeez

AV Forums Member

• 39 posts

Posted 08 July 2008 - 04:54 PM

Someone posted this ... I think its a great find.

Its only after you try a panel for a few days that you discover certain big issues you may be sensitive to.

I had a bravia that wore me down with its interface, viewing angles and artifacts. I had a Plasma that almost burnt my eyes out with gaming phosphor trails. I could not return these items as they were not faulty as such but frankly i hated them. Lucky for me they broke within days.

But this DSE policy will help you avoid this buyer remorse ... if only for 14 days.

Plus it saves you arguing with some manufactuer about whether your 2 dead pixes, 3 flashlights and clouds qualify as faults or are within spec. :o

Id urge everyone to give these guys a chance to price match, test the TV hard for a week, and return if you arent 100% happy.

I would be very careful with this. While it does say "change of mind" it also says "in unmarked, original condition and packaging, complete with all instruction books, accessories, etc". Now if you are buying something like a TV you will have to open it up, open the packets which the cables are in, batteries, screws, instructions etc....now if you try and return it they can argue that it is not in 'original condition'. Im not saying that this is going to be the case in all DSE stores.....but having worked in a couple of before I would be very careful if you have the intention of taking advantage of this 14 day 'change of mind' return policy......

Also bear in mind when purchasing goods from the stores that they could have been 'change of mind' returns these are sold as 'new'.

#6 weatherhead

weatherhead

AV Forums Member

• 18 posts

Posted 08 July 2008 - 04:59 PM

This is quite inconvenient. I prefer to fiddle with the TVs in the store before making my choice.

Yeah - although I spent the best part of a week fiddling before arriving at my choice which was promptly the wrong one for me. DSE are not the cheapest but matched whatever price I got around the traps - however they would not match online retailers and prompted to upsell me on everything (warranty, cables, powerboard, screencleaner) - I politeley declined all upsells but congratualted him on the effort...

I think kudos to DSE on this matter - where most places are looking for some sort of foothold in the market (interest free, bonus deals) something valuable like a change of mind policy is something that I think helps. I am usually a indecisive buyer but when I knew I could take it back no questions asked if I didn't like it - the sale was made.

#7 weatherhead

weatherhead

AV Forums Member

• 18 posts

Posted 08 July 2008 - 05:07 PM

I would be very careful with this. While it does say "change of mind" it also says "in unmarked, original condition and packaging, complete with all instruction books, accessories, etc". Now if you are buying something like a TV you will have to open it up, open the packets which the cables are in, batteries, screws, instructions etc....now if you try and return it they can argue that it is not in 'original condition'. Im not saying that this is going to be the case in all DSE stores.....but having worked in a couple of before I would be very careful if you have the intention of taking advantage of this 14 day 'change of mind' return policy......

Also bear in mind when purchasing goods from the stores that they could have been 'change of mind' returns these are sold as 'new'.

To be fair, they didn't even remark to me about this stuff, they just opened up the box and texted the tv. I hadn't ripped the box apart and eaten the styrofoam packaging, but I think that they are in their rights to refuse a change of mind return when you buy the tv from them in a nice sealed box and return it in a garbage bag. Some onus has to be on the returner to reciprocate good nature of the policy.

I asked them what they would do with the TV (i.e. how they would sell it). They said they would sell it for a reduced ex-demo price given the condition (i.e ticketed at the price they sold to me $600 below current advertised price). I asked them if they needed to do this and they said that given the fact that the tv had been bought and returned, that the box had been opened - that they are obliged by law to notify the buyer.

#8 suparockin

suparockin

AV Forums Member

• PipPipPipPip
  • 524 posts

Posted 08 July 2008 - 05:08 PM

I bought my 63" Samsung plasma from DSE and bargained hard and got a great price?

Not sure why people think they won't bargain?

#9 hornblower

hornblower

AV Forums Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,026 posts

Posted 08 July 2008 - 06:50 PM

I have been in the unfortunate situation with several items bought from DS, JB and GG which did not perform to expectations. These were items that could not be realistically tested in store (early buggy Topfield TF7000pvrt springs to mind) but all of these outlets refunded the purchase price when goods were returned undamaged. All of these stores are also prepared to negotiate the price.

hornblower

#10 GregS

GregS

AV Forums Member

• 14 posts

Posted 08 July 2008 - 08:23 PM

a 'buggy' product probably comes under a 'not fit for purpose'/'merchantable quality', and so are required to refund under trade practices law. This especially applies where you made it clar to the seller the requirements you had of the product, and it does not fit those requirements.
For example if you ask for a drill-bit to drill through stainless steel, and are supplied with a $2.00 drill bit that is unable to do the job, even though you have used the $2 drill bit and ruined it, you are entitled to return it for a full refund.
I suppose for TV purchases you could clearly say "I need a TV with no dead pixels" or say "I need a TV that I can play my games on without motion trails" they then need to only contract to sell TV's that meet these requirements, or honour a refund if they do not meet these needs.
This may be a bit different from simple change of mind scenarios, but may give you more flexability if you make it clear to sellers the requirments of the purchase, and its intended purpose.
Have a look at section 71 of the Trade Practices Act.
cheers
Greg

#11 pgdownload

pgdownload

AV Forums Member

• 11,466 posts

Posted 08 July 2008 - 08:33 PM

I agree, I'm the first to look to the small print but every experience I've had or heard of from DSE is that its a genuine offer (to the spirit of the doc). Stuff is taken back and cash handed back over no questions asked. You do need the original packaging but it doesn't have to be pristene.

I'd also add that outside of the 14 days they also usually take back stuff (at their discretion) but they'll give you one of those woolworths cards that has the amount credited to it and can be used in a bunch of stores.So you could always return the TV and buy groceries for a few years :)

However, what are you supposed to do if you're happy with your purchase ? Go to some other retailer and bargain his pants off, then return the first TV to Dick Smith. This looks like the only possibility to me.

I don't think this is the OPs intent. He's just saying if the product is busted (or you don't like it) then you can return it with ease. Its not meant that you should try out something, decide its great, return it and buy it cheaper elsewhere - this would be immoral any way wouldn't it?

Regards

Peter Gillespie

#12 pgdownload

pgdownload

AV Forums Member

• 11,466 posts

Posted 08 July 2008 - 08:43 PM

Have a look at section 71 of the Trade Practices Act. cheers Greg

The merits of the TPA aren't in doubt here. This is a situation where a supplier (DSE) goes well beyond the requirements of the TPA to provide much greater flexibility / protection to the buyer.

Regards

Peter Gillespie

#13 kulfi

kulfi

AV Forums Member

• 4,395 posts

Posted 08 July 2008 - 08:55 PM

I don't think this is the OPs intent. He's just saying if the product is busted (or you don't like it) then you can return it with ease. Its not meant that you should try out something, decide its great, return it and buy it cheaper elsewhere - this would be immoral any way wouldn't it?

I agree it would be immoral. That's why I said it's better to fiddle and buy.

If the product is busted, you are within your rights to return it for a full refund. I do like DSE's 14-day policy and have used it on a couple of occasions - once for a signal booster and once for a set top box.

#14 diesel

diesel

AV Forums Member

• 13,782 posts

Posted 08 July 2008 - 09:10 PM

The fact that they offer this service and compete with negotiated prices means I often give the local DSE "last call" on any deal. If they're close, I am happy to pay a bit extra for the peace of mind.

#15 charlesc

charlesc

AV Forums Member

• 2,612 posts

Posted 08 July 2008 - 09:14 PM

... once for a signal booster and once for a set top box.

I think DSE and Jaycar probably have had a few returns from Peter's (pgdownload) suggestions. :) :P

#16 Mr.Bitey

Mr.Bitey

AV Forums Member

• 7,832 posts

Posted 08 July 2008 - 09:18 PM

DSE are definatly going the extra mile in this regard its fantastic to see they are still doing this when other chains have dropped their similar refund policies (target for example tightened up their change of mind refund clauses/policies).

These policies do not in any way affect your statuatory rights - eg. if its defective you can return* it for a refund without the original packaging.

*see link in my sig for full details :)

Cheers,
Bitey

#17 IanD

IanD

AV Forums Member

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,373 posts

Posted 09 July 2008 - 12:33 AM

I once bought a DVD writer from Dick Smith, but it had problems with some of the media I used, so I attempted to return it for a refund. I had not opened any of the packets in the box, just (carefully) the plastic bag containing the drive itself.

Initially they refused a refund, saying that the product contained software that I might have copied. I pointed out to them that the sealed software packet had not been opened and in any case was of little use without the drive. After much huffing and puffing, they finally relented.

So much for their no-questions-asked policy at the time: they seemed to be searching for reasons to deny the refund.

I'm much more wary of purchasing from them now unless I'm sure the product will be suitable, or it doesn't have any software on disc at all.

#18 eddicat

eddicat

AV Forums Member

• 41 posts

Posted 09 July 2008 - 08:13 AM

.....however they would not match online retailers and prompted to upsell me on everything (warranty, cables, powerboard, screencleaner) - I politeley declined all upsells but congratualted him on the effort...

The exception to this is if you find a retailer that has online shopping service but in addition has a store you can walk into, then they will price match. I have done this before, they looked up the price online and I pointed out the link to the store location and they said "no worries".

#19 pgdownload

pgdownload

AV Forums Member

• 11,466 posts

Posted 09 July 2008 - 08:46 AM

I'm much more wary of purchasing from them now unless I'm sure the product will be suitable, or it doesn't have any software on disc at all.

To 'clarify' the policy:

Please note: Refunds on Change of Mind purchases do not apply to books, batteries, semi-conductors, Philips shavers, video games, DVDs or computer software.

I'd suspect you were probably dealing with someone who didn't really understand that 'software' is not applicable in this case. Simple lack of knowledge by the sales staff who were then trying to enforce the policy as best they could understand it. Happens, but understand you get wary if 'bitten'.

Regards

Peter Gillespie

I think DSE and Jaycar probably have had a few returns from Peter's (pgdownload) suggestions.

:P :lol:

#20 pneu

pneu

AV Forums Member

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,214 posts

Posted 09 July 2008 - 09:57 AM

I once bought a DVD writer from Dick Smith, but it had problems with some of the media I used, so I attempted to return it for a refund. I had not opened any of the packets in the box, just (carefully) the plastic bag containing the drive itself.

Initially they refused a refund, saying that the product contained software that I might have copied. I pointed out to them that the sealed software packet had not been opened and in any case was of little use without the drive. After much huffing and puffing, they finally relented.

So much for their no-questions-asked policy at the time: they seemed to be searching for reasons to deny the refund.

I would have to agree with this, DSE do not just return stuff "no questions asked". They refused a return on a 42PX7A which I was not happy with even though the receipt clearly says you have a 14-day change of mind period. Went higher up the chain and eventually negotiated a return as it went back as a display model. Then a few weeks later bought a Samsung printer which was lacking a feature and they refused refund, eventually settling on a refund of less than what was paid.

Also in the fine print it says "DSE are not obliged to offer refunds" so they can just say no if they want and it is really up to the manager's discretion.

#21 ohjeez

ohjeez

AV Forums Member

• 39 posts

Posted 09 July 2008 - 10:06 AM

I think DSE and Jaycar probably have had a few returns from Peter's (pgdownload) suggestions. :) :P

I'm intrigued, not to get off topic but a link to another post with more info?

#22 Shazbot

Shazbot

AV Forums Member

• 43 posts

Posted 09 July 2008 - 12:26 PM

Do you have hear in Aus the Distance Selling Agreement? In the UK basically if you buy anything over the phone or Internet you have 7 days to return the goods no questions asked.

#23 milka

milka

AV Forums Member

• PipPipPip
  • 300 posts

Posted 09 July 2008 - 03:05 PM

I've been using both DSE's Price Match policy and their 14-day return policy for a couple of years now to great effect.

Just about anything I can, I'll purchase from there and every time I've returned something, I haven't had a problem other than a bit of a wait up at the front counter while they move at snails pace. You cop the occasional bit of bitching and moaning from them when returning something, but I've probably returned about 15 things (i have a bad case of buyer's remorse) and have never had them not give me a full refund.

And I've gotten some truly sensational prices from them. I got the Samsung LA46F81BDX for $2700 from there back in January after price matching from this forum, and that price was below their cost price (they showed me the computer screen). I bought my Wii from there and tried to price match a Big W price of $388 and the sales guy actually said he'd seen a cheaper price than $388 so he'd do it for the cheaper price! HA!

Obviously your mileage will vary store to store, sales person to sales person, but for my money, and I can quite easily tally up well over $10K at DSE stores alone in the last 3-4 years, they're the only store with all of the "outs" I'm looking for and are prepared to match some utterly ridiculous prices.

milka

#24 pgdownload

pgdownload

AV Forums Member

• 11,466 posts

Posted 09 July 2008 - 03:47 PM

I'm intrigued, not to get off topic but a link to another post with more info?

I think he was alluding to my habit of recommending the odd DSE product to see if it fixed a particular problem (in particular signal boosters and indoor antennas for reception issues). It may not be the correct answer in every case but the 14 day return policy means you're at least not out of pocket.

Regards

Peter Gillespie

#25 mantronic

mantronic

AV Forums Member

• PipPipPip
  • 282 posts

Posted 09 July 2008 - 03:50 PM

Glad people agree ... given all the probs people have with LCDs and PDPs these guys should be the preferred supplier ... vote with our feet and get the Myers etc to introduce the same policy.