Digital Frequency List

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 disintegr8

disintegr8

AV Forum Member

• 26 posts

Posted 10 June 2008 - 09:13 AM

I guess it is in here somewhere but I cannot find the list of digital TV frequencies - can anyone assist? Basically I am trying to find out if all digital TV is in the VHF band. I have a cabin in Rye and am trying to decide on an antenna purely to connect to my SD STB and am assessing if I need to get a VHF/UHF antenna or just a VHF antenna.

Phil.

#2 DrP

DrP

AV Forum Member

• 16,740 posts

Posted 10 June 2008 - 09:22 AM

If you had analogue reception before usually an antenna that covers the same bands will also do for digital reception.

#3 disintegr8

disintegr8

AV Forum Member

• 26 posts

Posted 10 June 2008 - 09:40 AM

If you had analogue reception before usually an antenna that covers the same bands will also do for digital reception.

Analogue picture was intermediate and when I connect the STB to the antenna I get nothing from 10 or SBS while 9 gives me pixelation and crackling from time to time. There is some sort of wierd antenna there now - has three twin arms on it, each on an arc, in front of each other - as if it is some sort of caravan antenna.

Phil.

#4 charlesc

charlesc

AV Forum Member

• 2,613 posts

Posted 10 June 2008 - 09:49 AM

...Basically I am trying to find out if all digital TV is in the VHF band. I have a cabin in Rye and am trying to decide on an antenna purely to connect to my SD STB and am assessing if I need to get a VHF/UHF antenna or just a VHF antenna.

Phil, I don't know your area, but a search of the ABC web site for area coverage for postcode 3941 showed some channels from Safety Beach as UHF.

To answer your question, no, digital TV is not only in the VHF band. In general, in the metro areas, the commercial channels and ABC are in VHF Band III. SBS is usually in UHF Band IV.
In many country areas (non-metro) UHF frequencies are used for all the transmitters. Unfortunately the dba website which had this useful infomation in an easily searchable form is now defunct. The ABC website is useful to give a bit of an idea, certainly for their channel.

#5 Shonky*

Shonky*

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,740 posts

Posted 10 June 2008 - 10:14 AM

Try this:
http://www.acma.gov....100059/tv_8.pdf

Digital highlighted in blue...

Edited by Shonky*, 10 June 2008 - 10:15 AM.

#6 beeblebrox

beeblebrox

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,558 posts

Posted 10 June 2008 - 10:26 AM

I guess it is in here somewhere but I cannot find the list of digital TV frequencies - can anyone assist? Basically I am trying to find out if all digital TV is in the VHF band. I have a cabin in Rye and am trying to decide on an antenna purely to connect to my SD STB and am assessing if I need to get a VHF/UHF antenna or just a VHF antenna.

Phil.

From Rye, it could be UHF to the Safety Beach transmitters or VHF/UHF to Mt Dandenong . It's possible but unlikely to be the Rosebud UHF transmitter as it's very low power.

MT Dandenong is on VHF (Band 3) and UHF (Band 4) these are Ch 6, 8, 11,12 and 29, both Safety Beach and Rosebud are UHF (Band 5) these are Ch 51,54,57,60,63.

#7 disintegr8

disintegr8

AV Forum Member

• 26 posts

Posted 10 June 2008 - 10:29 AM

Thanks Charles and Shonky
I have kept looking and found the "Melbourne Antenna Selection Guide" PDF from Matchmaster and it looks like Rosebud is the nearest transmitter, listing UHF for analog channels 7,9,10 as well as UHF for all digital channels with 'vertical' polarity and 'directional' pattern (Safety beach shows the same except 'horizontal' polarity and has 2 and 28 as UHF also) - the doc Shonky linked to agrees with this.
Don't know if this means I should go for a 43 or 91 element UHF X type antenna of a phased array antenna - any thoughts?

Phil.

#8 digitalj

digitalj

AV Forum Member

• 12,947 posts

Posted 10 June 2008 - 01:39 PM

use this list of frequencies: http://www.dtvforum....t...ost&id=3954

#9 dig2all

dig2all

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPip
  • 314 posts

Posted 28 June 2008 - 04:47 PM

tv's a bit complicated on the mornington peninsula, for rye it is straight across the water to mt dandenong - a fracarro lp34 from laceys.tv in seaford will get you beautiful digital and save you some $$. the arthurs seat uhf transmitter also reaches rye, but being a secondary transmitter it suffers more from outage (from storms etc.) and is really only a last resort.

#10 alanh

alanh

AV Forum Member

• 12,646 posts

Posted 29 June 2008 - 07:59 PM

disintegr8,
Read Get the Best Reception, Melbourne and read the links.

dig2all,
Why do you have it in for translators? there is 3707 analog and 950 digital transmitters in Australia. If what you say is such a problem, then why is there not more screaming? Long distance reception over water is not without its problems either. The temperature changes between the air and the water causes the signals to bend away from the antenna at different times.

AlanH