Photo

Software To Check Dvb-t Signal Strength

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
14 replies to this topic

#1 pietro

pietro

AV Forum Member

• 2,572 posts

Posted 17 April 2008 - 12:04 PM

I had a bit of a search but couldn't find any thread about this. I would like to check the signal strength coming to my HTPC. I have installed a new tuner card and have lost a couple of channels that didn't seem to have problems before. Can anyone recommend (preferably free) software that is not too complex please?

#2 spudstrawb

spudstrawb

AV Forum Member

• 11 posts

Posted 17 April 2008 - 02:20 PM

Go to the downloads section at Australian Media Centre Community and download ScanChannelsBDA_UK.exe. You might have to subscribe to be able to download, but it is an excellent site anyway.

#3 renura

renura

AV Forum Member

• 5,990 posts

Posted 17 April 2008 - 02:28 PM

The only way I know of to measure the signal coming to your HTPC is to use hardware equipment, not TV tuner software.

ScanChannelBDA will let you scan all Australian frequencies and reports data for strength and quality, but this data is not very meaningful, other than to compare one channel with another (using the same tuner). % values are relative measures and the scale varies for each tuner, so don't pay too much attention to them

In any case you can download the original version here http://www.digitalno.../downloads.html

This tool (BTW) was developed by Nate (dvbowners forum)

#4 pietro

pietro

AV Forum Member

• 2,572 posts

Posted 17 April 2008 - 03:53 PM

Thanks for your (plural) help. Have d/l and run the tool which seems to show that the missing channels are the same as all the others, with 100% quality. Seems very weird.

#5 mtv

mtv

AV Forum Member

• 6,047 posts

Posted 17 April 2008 - 04:25 PM

pietro,

What are the 'couple' of channels you have lost?

Prime and SBS by any chance?

#6 pietro

pietro

AV Forum Member

• 2,572 posts

Posted 18 April 2008 - 07:53 AM

pietro,

What are the 'couple' of channels you have lost?

Prime and SBS by any chance?

Prime/Prime HD Albury.

I have sent the logs from the ScanChannelBDA software to Newmagic who will forward them to Hauppage to see if they have a solution.

#7 digitaladvisor

digitaladvisor

AV Forum Member

• 4,015 posts

Posted 18 April 2008 - 09:56 AM

Prime/Prime HD Albury.

I have sent the logs from the ScanChannelBDA software to Newmagic who will forward them to Hauppage to see if they have a solution.

As Far as I know it would appear that Nine and SBS are offsets.

I know your south of me in reception but this may also apply to your problem in NSW.

Here in QLD a few applications have issues in finding channels in the scan because of the following:

On 7Hz Scan the following you'll NOTE for QLD are 500 increnments:

177500 ...... 7
219500 ...... 10
226500 ...... 2

These are fine in ALL applications I have tried.

BUT Nine and SBS in QLD seem to have issue in some applications on scanning as follow:

191625 ..... 9
585625 ..... SBS

IMHO, some software to speed up scanning JUMP in 500 increnments, thus you MAY be experiencing due to the 625 increnment on the frequency, a lack of detection on those channels.

On a side issue:

Quality is no real indication of issue with channel pick up. Signal strength is your variable to watch. Quality simply means that the decoder most likely will give you in part of the stream an intact MPEG data bit perfect picture.

DA

#8 TBAR

TBAR

AV Forum Member

• PipPip
  • 220 posts

Posted 18 April 2008 - 02:06 PM

Prime/Prime HD Albury.

PRIME-----------On-Air-------------------VHF 12 Hor--------226.625 MHz-------------NTA Site MT BARANDUDA

ScanChannelBDA will check all frequencies ie 226.500 and the offsets 226.625 and show the best option.

I am not sure which Hauppage device you have? I have a NovaT500 Dual PCI tuner and had some "problems" as it expects the base frequency (226.500) and then will lock to the offset (226.625). When I set my system to use the correct offset frequency (as required by all my other tuners) the Hauppage tuner would not work.

Hauppage claim that this is the correct implementation DBA drivers, they might be right, but this varies from the other 10+ devices I have and as a result the Hauppage can not be used in a system with a mix of tuners.

So if you have set you frequency for Prime to 226.625 it may not work
Or conversly you may need to set to 226.625 as the driver may be different to my Nove t500...

#9 mtv

mtv

AV Forum Member

• 6,047 posts

Posted 18 April 2008 - 02:36 PM

Apart from the offset, if I recall correctly, Prime use a different guard interval and FEC to other networks.

This has caused issues with some receivers.

#10 pietro

pietro

AV Forum Member

• 2,572 posts

Posted 18 April 2008 - 03:14 PM

PRIME-----------On-Air-------------------VHF 12 Hor--------226.625 MHz-------------NTA Site MT BARANDUDA

ScanChannelBDA will check all frequencies ie 226.500 and the offsets 226.625 and show the best option.

I am not sure which Hauppage device you have? I have a NovaT500 Dual PCI tuner and had some "problems" as it expects the base frequency (226.500) and then will lock to the offset (226.625). When I set my system to use the correct offset frequency (as required by all my other tuners) the Hauppage tuner would not work.

Hauppage claim that this is the correct implementation DBA drivers, they might be right, but this varies from the other 10+ devices I have and as a result the Hauppage can not be used in a system with a mix of tuners.

So if you have set you frequency for Prime to 226.625 it may not work
Or conversly you may need to set to 226.625 as the driver may be different to my Nove t500...

Mine is the HVR2200 which I bought as it was getting some raves. (sucked in yet again?) ScanChannelBDA apparently doesn't work for that card. New Magic have been trying to help but can't find a solution. They said the card was tested in regional areas and no problems were found.

There is no way in VMC to set a channel to a specific frequency is there? The only tuners I have are the 2 in the Hauppage card.

I can pick up Prime from Shepparton as I have 2 antennas but then I miss out on the local Albury programming.

#11 pietro

pietro

AV Forum Member

• 2,572 posts

Posted 18 April 2008 - 03:14 PM

Apart from the offset, if I recall correctly, Prime use a different guard interval and FEC to other networks.

This has caused issues with some receivers.

Is there anything that can be done about that, apart from getting a different card?

#12 digitaladvisor

digitaladvisor

AV Forum Member

• 4,015 posts

Posted 18 April 2008 - 04:50 PM

Mine is the HVR2200 which I bought as it was getting some raves. (sucked in yet again?) ScanChannelBDA apparently doesn't work for that card. New Magic have been trying to help but can't find a solution. They said the card was tested in regional areas and no problems were found.

There is no way in VMC to set a channel to a specific frequency is there? The only tuners I have are the 2 in the Hauppage card.

I can pick up Prime from Shepparton as I have 2 antennas but then I miss out on the local Albury programming.

Take it back or get IMMEDIATE reassurances it will be resolved.

DVBViewer allows sophisticated entry of frequencies. If that does not work then its a card / driver issue.

Pinnacle* badged hardware DO NOT have this issue! Have a dual - works FLAWLESS.

* Scans perfectly in ScanChannelBDA.

DA

#13 Guest_ferni_*

Guest_ferni_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 May 2008 - 10:31 AM

As Far as I know it would appear that Nine and SBS are offsets.

I know your south of me in reception but this may also apply to your problem in NSW.

Here in QLD a few applications have issues in finding channels in the scan because of the following:

On 7Hz Scan the following you'll NOTE for QLD are 500 increnments:

177500 ...... 7
219500 ...... 10
226500 ...... 2

These are fine in ALL applications I have tried.

BUT Nine and SBS in QLD seem to have issue in some applications on scanning as follow:

191625 ..... 9
585625 ..... SBS

IMHO, some software to speed up scanning JUMP in 500 increnments, thus you MAY be experiencing due to the 625 increnment on the frequency, a lack of detection on those channels.

On a side issue:

Quality is no real indication of issue with channel pick up. Signal strength is your variable to watch. Quality simply means that the decoder most likely will give you in part of the stream an intact MPEG data bit perfect picture.

DA

I've just moved my hauppauge Nova-T 500 dual tuner from my vista box to a XP box because webscheduler was missing recordings occasionally for some reason, wanted to see if it was something to do with vista. But now i can't pickup channel 9 and SBS, 7 10 and ABC all work fine. Wonder if it's something to do with this? I have a licensed version of WS Pro.... Any tips on how to get it to work?

#14 renura

renura

AV Forum Member

• 5,990 posts

Posted 06 May 2008 - 03:55 PM

I've just moved my hauppauge Nova-T 500 dual tuner from my vista box to a XP box because webscheduler was missing recordings occasionally for some reason, wanted to see if it was something to do with vista. But now i can't pickup channel 9 and SBS, 7 10 and ABC all work fine. Wonder if it's something to do with this? I have a licensed version of WS Pro.... Any tips on how to get it to work?

I am not sure if it will solve your problem, but the first thing that you must do is ensure that XP SP2 is installed. From memory, I think there are some bits missing in the early versions of XP (SP1) that are required in order for WS and most other BDA based applications to work properly.

#15 halsboss

halsboss

AV Forum Member

• PipPip
  • 174 posts

Posted 06 February 2016 - 10:16 PM

Hello. I'm looking for software to do what the title says ... help appreciated.