Photo

**warning** Dts-hdma Bitstreamed Can Cause Speaker Damage!

• Please log in to reply
223 replies to this topic

#76 SimonNo10

SimonNo10

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,445 posts

Posted 27 March 2008 - 10:01 PM

Guys I received an e-mail form the Ambertech contact and he has asked me to edit my posts which displays his name as he is getting alot of calls from people who are worried about their receivers but may not necessarly be experiencing the same problem as me. One post is too old for me to edit so I have asked the moderators to ajust it accordingly.

Edited by SimonNo10, 27 March 2008 - 10:02 PM.

#77 MACCA350

MACCA350

AV Forum Member

• 4,895 posts

Posted 27 March 2008 - 11:55 PM

I've just added the German RXV3800 firmware to the previous posts:

RXV3800 (German Site)

And again:Caution, this firmware is posted on a US and German dealer only access sites and as such would be for the US RXV1800 and German RXV3800 version. I do not know if their firmware is region specific or not, or whether the receivers will refuse to update with an inappropriate version...............as such you should use at your own risk!

cheers

#78 Kazz

Kazz

AV Forum Member

• 9,185 posts

Posted 28 March 2008 - 11:03 AM

I've just had a call from the service centre to say my 3800 is ready to pick up so I'll know tonight if it has fixed the problem.

#79 :)

:)

AV Forum Member

• 31,392 posts

Posted 28 March 2008 - 12:26 PM

I've just had a call from the service centre to say my 3800 is ready to pick up so I'll know tonight if it has fixed the problem.

wow that was fast kazz, good service from yam, fingers crossed for you :)

#80 Franin

Franin

AV Forum Member

• 3,523 posts

Posted 28 March 2008 - 12:40 PM

So is the manufactures of the avrs that are at fault? or is it the way a certain batch of discs have been encoded that has caused all this problem? If it is the AVR that is at fault and lets say the popping sound damages your speaker/s what would happen there? would the manufactures be liable or we the consumers just have to wear it.Some of us have speakers worth quite a bit of money and would not be happy if avr damaged speaker/s and we have to wear it.

#81 bbar

bbar

AV Forum Member

• 6,901 posts

Posted 28 March 2008 - 01:23 PM

Saw yours there when I picked up my RX-V1800 at 1:30pm. Cannot test mine as I do not have one of the discs that generates the problem so am keen to see if the problem is resolved; albeit I have a 1800B and yours is a 3800.

Still, would be confident if yours is fixed though.

Bryan

#82 MRCRIST

MRCRIST

AV Forum Member

• 3,597 posts

Posted 28 March 2008 - 01:29 PM

With the uncertainty stated above

I spoke to Yamaha today and got it confirmed that they have a firmware upgrade available that will fix the problem of the pop with DTS MA

Please quote reference E1185 to the tech doing the upgrade to ensure the correct firmware is uploaded.

#83 mattis

mattis

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPipPip
  • 649 posts

Posted 28 March 2008 - 01:36 PM

I'd be very interested in anyone with an 1800 that's been reflashed by Yamaha to advise what firmware version they now have. I would like to see if it matches the US version linked for download. The process for checking what version you have is indicated in the PDF that accompanies that firmware. Watch out for the option you need to set to stop your settings being erased! :) You'd be looking at the TI-VER display once in Diagnostic mode.

Matt

Edited by mattis, 28 March 2008 - 01:42 PM.

#84 bbar

bbar

AV Forum Member

• 6,901 posts

Posted 28 March 2008 - 02:28 PM

I'd be very interested in anyone with an 1800 that's been reflashed by Yamaha to advise what firmware version they now have. I would like to see if it matches the US version linked for download. The process for checking what version you have is indicated in the PDF that accompanies that firmware. Watch out for the option you need to set to stop your settings being erased! :) You'd be looking at the TI-VER display once in Diagnostic mode.

Matt

Tried but it appears not to have worked as I get message - 1. DSP through margin

Possibly need to inhibit Protection as described in PDF; but I was not keen to do so without more info.

Bryan

Edited by bbar, 28 March 2008 - 02:36 PM.

#85 50MXE20

50MXE20

AV Forum Member

• 23,206 posts

Posted 28 March 2008 - 03:13 PM

wow that was fast kazz, good service from yam, fingers crossed for you :)

Yes I hope so too because that would go a long way to resolving the issue.

#86 Kazz

Kazz

AV Forum Member

• 9,185 posts

Posted 28 March 2008 - 06:24 PM

Well kudos to Yamaha because I am listening to the Eagles now and track 5 which had the popping noise is now pop free. :D :D :D :D :D :D

Kudos also to Excel Hi Fi in Hallam who got this turned around in under 24 hours. :D :D :D :D

So anyone with this problem go and get your AVR updated, for the sake of your speakers.

#87 monkeychow

monkeychow

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPip
  • 257 posts

Posted 28 March 2008 - 06:29 PM

FANTASTIC NEWS!!

Very happy to see you got it fixed and so fast too!

#88 MACCA350

MACCA350

AV Forum Member

• 4,895 posts

Posted 28 March 2008 - 07:29 PM

Great to hear Kazz :D You must be relieved..............good to see this issue resolved so quickly, and with such little fuss ;)

.............now sit back, relax, watch a movie and enjoy the benefits of your 3800 without fear B)

cheers

#89 yorac

yorac

AV Forum Member

• 24,449 posts

Posted 28 March 2008 - 07:37 PM

Well kudos to Yamaha because I am listening to the Eagles now and track 5 which had the popping noise is now pop free.

Kudos also to Excel Hi Fi in Hallam who got this turned around in under 24 hours.

So anyone with this problem go and get your AVR updated, for the sake of your speakers.

Great news :)

#90 bbar

bbar

AV Forum Member

• 6,901 posts

Posted 28 March 2008 - 07:53 PM

Thanks for the quick feedback Kazz. Excellent news.

Bryan

#91 Franin

Franin

AV Forum Member

• 3,523 posts

Posted 28 March 2008 - 07:56 PM

Well kudos to Yamaha because I am listening to the Eagles now and track 5 which had the popping noise is now pop free. :D :D :D :D :D :D

Kudos also to Excel Hi Fi in Hallam who got this turned around in under 24 hours. :D :D :D :D

Glad it worked out for you Kazz!

#92 Kazz

Kazz

AV Forum Member

• 9,185 posts

Posted 28 March 2008 - 08:06 PM

Great to hear Kazz :D You must be relieved..............good to see this issue resolved so quickly, and with such little fuss ;)

.............now sit back, relax, watch a movie and enjoy the benefits of your 3800 without fear B)

cheers

Very relieved, at least now I can put the Eagles on and not have to remember to skip the affected track and hopefully I won't have the same problem with any other discs in the future.

#93 50MXE20

50MXE20

AV Forum Member

• 23,206 posts

Posted 28 March 2008 - 08:21 PM

Very relieved, at least now I can put the Eagles on and not have to remember to skip the affected track and hopefully I won't have the same problem with any other discs in the future.

Fantastic news.

#94 Franky74

Franky74

AV Forum Member

• 2 posts

Posted 29 March 2008 - 12:58 AM

Congrats Kazz.
Will there be a chance you could check the firmware info of your 3800 so that we can see if the 0015 file is the right one to install to fix the DTS issue ?
Thanks in advance ;).

#95 norpus

norpus

AV Forum Member

• 5,417 posts

Posted 29 March 2008 - 01:19 AM

When I first saw the title at AVS I thought it was going to be similar to Telarc's 1812 Overture warning :unsure:

Mmm, I never did believe that warning previously.... :blush:
After a few plays thinking it wasn't so bad, I got brave and cranked up my twin IB subs using the manual vol control at the preamp. Unfortunately, my rear twin 15 paid the price (as I was nearfield to the twin 18 and couldn't hear the rear oneprotesting) . I can now state that the warning is accurate. :lol:
Gave me a good reason to upgrade the drivers though to the new Tempest-X, so its all good :)

#96 MRCRIST

MRCRIST

AV Forum Member

• 3,597 posts

Posted 29 March 2008 - 02:19 AM

Great news.

Packing mine up on Sunday night for the trip to the electronics doctor on Monday.

#97 bbar

bbar

AV Forum Member

• 6,901 posts

Posted 29 March 2008 - 09:35 AM

Well kudos to Yamaha because I am listening to the Eagles now and track 5 which had the popping noise is now pop free. :D

Kudos also to Excel Hi Fi in Hallam who got this turned around in under 24 hours. :D :

I agree, as I was expecting the same - "never heard of it" response the USA Yamaha and Onkyo folks got. Was real surprised when the Yamaha Tech guy got back on the phone and quoted the repair id E1185.

Then called Excel who checked and said- yep its a firmware upgrade and we have it. Was all too easy and agree - Good work Yamaha and Excell for excellent customer service. <_< :D :D

Bryan

#98 Kazz

Kazz

AV Forum Member

• 9,185 posts

Posted 29 March 2008 - 11:02 AM

Congrats Kazz.
Will there be a chance you could check the firmware info of your 3800 so that we can see if the 0015 file is the right one to install to fix the DTS issue ?
Thanks in advance ;).

I will if anyone here can tell me where I can find the info I checked the menu but not sure where to find it.

#99 druid01

druid01

AV Forum Member

• Pip
  • 66 posts

Posted 29 March 2008 - 11:04 AM

Well I contacted the Adelaide Onkyo service agent this morning to see if they were aware of the supposed 1.08 firmware to rectify the DTS-MA issue.
Speaking to one of the tech's there, he stated that as of thursday when they last spoke to Ambertech that there was at that point only a 1.06 update.
He initially thought that i may be suffering from handshaking issues with HDMI, which suggested to me that he was not aware of this issue.

He did say that if I dropped the Amp in (805) he would call Ambertech to discuss this issue this week.

My only concern at this point is I have no title to test the fix on.

So to clarify is there any Aus released movie's that have this issue ?

#100 SimonNo10

SimonNo10

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,445 posts

Posted 29 March 2008 - 11:14 AM

The only disc I had the issue was Rambo-First Blood on HD-DVD using the XE-1. It happened at 52.57 I think from memory. Can't test any BD discs as I'm using the PS3 to watch them.

I've downloaded the DSP .Wav file from the AVS link but dont have a blank cd to burn it on to try it. Will get some today and see if I can get it to update using the ps3 via optical. I have firmware version 1.03 but from reading the thread it doesn't say you can't just update the DSP only without the frimware updated. I wont perform the Firmware update as people are saying you need 1.05 (for the 905 unit), no one has mentioned doing it on a 805 with firmware 1.03 so I'm not trying it to be safe. I only need the DSP update as it fixes the DTS-HD MA problem apparently. Hope I've read that correctly.

Will post if and when I can do it today so hopefully I can perform the update using the PS3 again no one on that thread has said they have done with the PS3 even though it has been asked.