Photo

**warning** Dts-hdma Bitstreamed Can Cause Speaker Damage!

• Please log in to reply
223 replies to this topic

#26 monkeychow

monkeychow

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPip
  • 257 posts

Posted 22 March 2008 - 12:38 PM

Anyone know where to get a firmware update for the Yammie 3800 - the link above is to the bike store. And on the german or aussie pages I can only find manuals!

#27 ivor biggin

ivor biggin

AV Forum Member

• Banned
  • 464 posts

Posted 22 March 2008 - 12:48 PM

off topic but i didnt want to start a new thread just 4 this.....ta....when i turn off my guitar amp all my av speakers all pop.....is there a cheap way of stopping this ?

Edited by ivor biggin, 22 March 2008 - 12:49 PM.

#28 kamma

kamma

AV Forum Member

• 3,413 posts

Posted 22 March 2008 - 01:00 PM

Anyone know where to get a firmware update for the Yammie 3800 - the link above is to the bike store. And on the german or aussie pages I can only find manuals!

i'd like to know as well but for the 1800

#29 JaysonLJ

JaysonLJ

AV Forum Member

• PipPip
  • 145 posts

Posted 23 March 2008 - 08:08 AM

Mater and commander has a distinct pop at around the 14 and a half minute mark, when russels talking to the doctor on the stairs. Happens everytime I play it.

I have a Samsung BD-P1400 hooked to my Onkyo 605 by HDMI cable.

Anyone else had this?

Jayson

#30 bbar

bbar

AV Forum Member

• 6,901 posts

Posted 23 March 2008 - 11:03 AM

I think I will try a Yamaha service centre tomorrow. If they are unaware then will send email to Yamaha Customer support here in Australia. If there is new firwware then they should know about it.

Bryan

#31 monkeychow

monkeychow

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPip
  • 257 posts

Posted 23 March 2008 - 11:50 AM

I think I will try a Yamaha service centre tomorrow. If they are unaware then will send email to Yamaha Customer support here in Australia. If there is new firwware then they should know about it.

Bryan

Thanks Bryan...please keep us in the loop on what you discover. :)

As i'm sure most everyone with a Yamaha will be very interested.

I've emailed Customer service in the EU (where people on AVS say there is a fix, but I havn't heard anything back - they probably went "your not from the EU" and hit delete!

#32 Padre

Padre

AV Forum Member

• PipPip
  • 223 posts

Posted 23 March 2008 - 11:52 AM

off topic but i didnt want to start a new thread just 4 this.....ta....when i turn off my guitar amp all my av speakers all pop.....is there a cheap way of stopping this ?

There is, get in touch with guitar factory in Parramatta

#33 ivor biggin

ivor biggin

AV Forum Member

• Banned
  • 464 posts

Posted 23 March 2008 - 11:55 AM

There is, get in touch with guitar factory in Parramatta

ta

#34 monkeychow

monkeychow

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPip
  • 257 posts

Posted 24 March 2008 - 05:05 PM

Anyone know if Species region B is "safe" from the bitstream bomb? I have friends comming to watch it tomorrow..and i'm nervous for my speakers...but i wanna watch it lossless cos they are non-believers of HD and need to be shown the quality!! In the usa its PCM no no reports i've found...but has anyone tried it?

#35 momaw

momaw

AV Forum Member

• 12,790 posts

Posted 24 March 2008 - 06:59 PM

These codecs weren't designed for bitstreaming. They were designed for in-player decoding and mixing.

#36 Cozzmo

Cozzmo

AV Forum Member

• PipPip
  • 233 posts

Posted 24 March 2008 - 07:01 PM

wouldn't the defeat the purpose of the new generation of high definition audio receivers?

#37 MACCA350

MACCA350

AV Forum Member

• 4,896 posts

Posted 24 March 2008 - 07:05 PM

wouldn't the defeat the purpose of the new generation of high definition audio receivers?

Yes...............and that was the point

#38 momaw

momaw

AV Forum Member

• 12,790 posts

Posted 24 March 2008 - 07:41 PM

A good Audio Receiver does more than decode a codec. Quite a bit more.

#39 Kazz

Kazz

AV Forum Member

• 9,185 posts

Posted 24 March 2008 - 10:18 PM

I get a very loud pop on Eagles Live Farewell Melb HD DVD, on track 5, on my XE1 - Yamaha 3800.

I had the disc replaced by Amazon but the second one does the same thing in exactly the same place.

#40 momaw

momaw

AV Forum Member

• 12,790 posts

Posted 24 March 2008 - 10:37 PM

I get a very loud pop on Eagles Live Farewell Melb HD DVD, on track 5, on my XE1 - Yamaha 3800.

I had the disc replaced by Amazon but the second one does the same thing in exactly the same place.

Isn't that the very disc the supersonic volume level in your pic was taken off? lucky lass :blink:

#41 Kazz

Kazz

AV Forum Member

• 9,185 posts

Posted 24 March 2008 - 11:03 PM

Isn't that the very disc the supersonic volume level in your pic was taken off? lucky lass :blink:

Yes it is, thankfully it wasn't at supersonic levels when that happened. :blink:

It only gets to that level for Hotel California. :blush: :D

#42 :)

:)

AV Forum Member

• 31,392 posts

Posted 25 March 2008 - 01:45 AM

These codecs weren't designed for bitstreaming. They were designed for in-player decoding and mixing.

interesting, the DTS website has had bitstreaming defined as a way of enjoying dts-hd/hr/ma, using a bitstream capable player and an avr/pre-pro with suitable decoding, as far as far back as I can remember.

watched eagles a few times with the xe1 and denon 4308 not something ever experienced. wonder whats goign on here. obviosuly not a dodgy disc but wonder down to mastering/recording or a player/avr/pre-pro issue. hope they get to the bottom of it. any other comments you've seen kazz in relation to this disc ?

#43 monkeychow

monkeychow

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPip
  • 257 posts

Posted 25 March 2008 - 01:49 AM

My understanding from the AVS thread is that Denon AVRs are not affected. Its primiarly a problem with Yamaha and Okyno/Intergra - apparently they source components from a different place than Denon.

#44 MACCA350

MACCA350

AV Forum Member

• 4,896 posts

Posted 25 March 2008 - 02:05 AM

interesting, the DTS website has had bitstreaming defined as a way of enjoying dts-hd/hr/ma, using a bitstream capable player and an avr/pre-pro with suitable decoding, as far as far back as I can remember.

DTS are one of the worst for spreading misinformation............they had that on their site before they even finalized their encoding method..................try and find some whitpapers on their site that explain their coding system.

Not to mention all their hot air about Dolby's Dialog normalization....................yet their new codecs now support this feature........slipped that one under the carpet didn't they, thought we wouldn't notice eh :rolleyes:

My understanding from the AVS thread is that Denon AVRs are not affected. Its primiarly a problem with Yamaha and Okyno/Intergra - apparently they source components from a different place than Denon.

As mentioned before, also affected:
Pioneer 91txh
Denon 3808

cheers

Edited by MACCA350, 25 March 2008 - 02:10 AM.

#45 :)

:)

AV Forum Member

• 31,392 posts

Posted 25 March 2008 - 02:27 AM

DTS are one of the worst for spreading misinformation............they had that on their site before they even finalized their encoding method..................try and find some whitpapers on their site that explain their coding system.

Not to mention all their hot air about Dolby's Dialog normalization....................yet their new codecs now support this feature........slipped that one under the carpet didn't they, thought we wouldn't notice eh :rolleyes:
As mentioned before, also affected:
Pioneer 91txh
Denon 3808

cheers

not sure what mis-information from DTS your talking about macca. I have found bitstreaming of DTS/HD/HR/MA faultless in implemetation and believe the info on their website I'm refering too in the means to enjoy the format is still unchanged on the dts website. I have not seen any misinformation in what there is on their website inregards bitstreaming and the various means to enjoy dts-hd ma.

I really have not had one issue with bitstreaming. And have been using players for both formats for bitstreaming as soon as they were avaialble. Been quite a while now and countless discs on either format. Think I would have come across some issue by now.

could be the case, as mentioned not something found with the denon 4308 which has been faultless. if I hear a pop or anything else you can be sure I'll be the first here screaming about it !

#46 cwt

cwt

AV Forum Member

• 5,723 posts

Posted 25 March 2008 - 03:28 AM

not sure what mis-information from DTS your talking about macca. I have found bitstreaming of DTS/HD/HR/MA faultless in implemetation and believe the info on their website I'm refering too in the means to enjoy the format is still unchanged on the dts website

In some ways Al ; its good that dts hdma is decoded in the avr [not pcm mixing of course] because of the extra processing power required to decode the more complicated extension packets . One reason between the prices of the 2 denons imo ;) I can see the pana bd50 costing $$$

could be the case, as mentioned not something found with the denon 4308 which has been faultless. if I hear a pop or anything else you can be sure I'll be the first here screaming about it !

Its interesting that onkyo and yamaha use the TI aureous decoder and the denon I believe silicon image ? Dont know about the pio anomaly Macca lists . Ide certainly prefer a cirrus or silicon image solution ; experience counts :)

#47 bbar

bbar

AV Forum Member

• 6,901 posts

Posted 25 March 2008 - 08:24 AM

Ok,

Called Yamaha Technical Support and the guy first said- What is DTS HD MA? Are u sure it is a format? . I said yes so he checked around and when he came back to the phone said I should bring my RX-V1800 to the service centre and quote reference number E1185. I asked if they had the fix and they said yes. :ph34r:

Called support centre and asked if fix available for E1185. The guy on phone went away and checked with technician as he would not let me speak with technician.

On return he said- fix is available on-site. :wub:

CONCERN- Is it really the fix as it was way too easy? Will drop off later this week and try and see the technician to gain confidence; but it could be the technican does what the fix manual states and has no knowledge of the underlying issue. :rolleyes:

The folks that tried reporting problem in the USA yesterday got told it was not a known problem in USA or Japan and for all to register problem. Hmm, something is definitely wrong with this picture!!

Suggest others do same (i.e. call Yamaha music technical support line ) and see if they give the same answer. Post here so we can determine if they understand problem. Don't have the Eagles Disk and have HD-DVD only so someone will need to test. :wub:

here is yamaha tech supp number.
Contact Yamaha Music Australia
Street Address
Level 1, 99 Queensbridge Street, Southbank, Victoria, 3006

Postal Address
P.O. Box 268, South Melbourne, Victoria, 3205

Main Switchboard
Ph +61 3 9693 5111, Fax +61 3 9699 2332

Technical Support
Ph 1300 739 390,

Then suggest you contact your nearest support centre .

Bryan

Edited by bbar, 25 March 2008 - 08:40 AM.

#48 yorac

yorac

AV Forum Member

• 24,467 posts

Posted 25 March 2008 - 08:30 AM

Ok,

Called Yamaha Technical Support and the guy first said- What is DTS HD MA? Are u sure it is a format? . I said yes so he checked around and when he came back to the phone said I should bring my RX-V1800 to the service centre and quote reference number E1185. I asked if they had the fix and they said yes. :ph34r:

Called support centre and asked if fix available. The guy on phone went away and checked with technician as he would not let me speak with technician.

On return he said- fix is available on-site. :wub:

CONCERN- Is it really the fix as it was way too easy? Will drop off this week and try and see the technician to gain confidence; but it could be the techniciabn does what the fix manual states and has no knowledge of the underlying issue.

The folks that tried it in the USA yesterday got told it was not a known problem in USA or Japan and for all to register problem. Hmm, something is definitely wrong with this picture!!

Suggest others do same (i.e. call Yamaha music technical support line ) and see if they give the same answer. Post here so we can determine if they understand problem. Don't have the Eagles Disk and have HD-DVD only so someone will need to test. :wub:

Bryan

That's good work there mate and thanks for passing the info on, fortunately I'm not affected but Yammy owners may need to be looking at this as I played the Eagles track at my place last night with Kazz present and no probs on the 7002 at all and never had it happen on the 2700b either

#49 bbar

bbar

AV Forum Member

• 6,901 posts

Posted 25 March 2008 - 08:43 AM

That's good work there mate and thanks for passing the info on, fortunately I'm not affected but Yammy owners may need to be looking at this as I played the Eagles track at my place last night with Kazz present and no probs on the 7002 at all and never had it happen on the 2700b either

Kazz could check with XE1 and 3800 as they would have the same fix available and Kamma could do same for RXV-1800 if he has an affected disk.

Then again I believe we live close to each other. I am SE suburbs of Melbourne and could possibly get a disk from one of you and test once my Yamaha is repaired!!

May post this on Reveiver thread also.

Bryan

Edited by bbar, 25 March 2008 - 09:00 AM.

#50 Kazz

Kazz

AV Forum Member

• 9,185 posts

Posted 25 March 2008 - 08:54 AM

Thanks Bryan, I will give them a call later today and see what they say and post back here.

I would definitely like to see a fix for this problem.

Cheers,

Karen.