Photo

Do I Need A Digital Tuner In My Dvd Recorder?

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 jaguar23

jaguar23

AV Forums Member

• 17 posts

Posted 08 March 2008 - 12:58 PM

I have a HDTV with built in HD tuner. Do I need to have a tuner in my dvd recorder if i want to record SD or will the dvd recorder use the tuner in my tv?

Thanks.

#2 diesel

diesel

AV Forums Member

• 13,782 posts

Posted 08 March 2008 - 02:59 PM

I have a HDTV with built in HD tuner. Do I need to have a tuner in my dvd recorder if i want to record SD or will the dvd recorder use the tuner in my tv?

Best to get a DVDR with an SD tuner built-in. This way you can record something using the SD tuner of the recorder, whilst watching another show using the HDTV's tuner. If you only get one with an analogue tuner;
1. you will only be able to record the analogue channels, or
2. you need to use the TV's tuner if you wish to record SD or HD which means the TV needs to be on the channel that you want to record, and not all TVs have AV out to allow this.

What TV brand and model do you have?
How often do you record TV shows?
Do you want to record HD channels?

The DVB tuners in DVDRs only recieve SD channels. If you want to record HD channels, maybe consider a twin tuner PVR like the BeyonWiz DP-P1 or DP-S1, Homecast 8000, Topfield 7000pvrt, Strong 5490 etc

#3 50MXE20

50MXE20

AV Forums Member

• 23,205 posts

Posted 08 March 2008 - 03:09 PM

Disel, as usual, is on the money.

#4 wheelz

wheelz

AV Forums Member

• 4,270 posts

Posted 08 March 2008 - 04:50 PM

I agree with the above,one thing tho if you have foxtel and want to record it then a PVR is not for you.Just get a dvd recorder with SD tuner.

#5 alanh

alanh

AV Forums Member

• 12,562 posts

Posted 08 March 2008 - 08:19 PM

Jaguar,
If you are in a capital city, analog ground based TV will be switched off in December next year leaving only digital transmissions.

Alanh

#6 swordfish805

swordfish805

AV Forums Member

• 4,314 posts

Posted 08 March 2008 - 08:38 PM

I agree with the above,one thing tho if you have foxtel and want to record it then a PVR is not for you.Just get a dvd recorder with SD tuner.

:blink: :blink: :blink: :blink: :blink:

If you have foxtel and want to record it the only device to use is the iQ - which just happens to be a PVR.

#7 pgdownload

pgdownload

AV Forums Member

• 11,466 posts

Posted 08 March 2008 - 08:58 PM

Short answer is in it depends on your TV. Many digital ones don't have an output plug - as deisel asks what tv do you have?

Assuming its possible then the next thing to consider is that its a pretty fiddly setup. Basically the TV has to be on the channel you want to record. If you only record say once a week then its doable but much more than that and you really should look at other options

One might be getting a $50 SD STB to send the signal to the DVDR

Otherwise get a PVR and change how you watch TV - have a read of the PVR FAQ for some more info

Regards

Peter Gillespie

#8 wheelz

wheelz

AV Forums Member

• 4,270 posts

Posted 08 March 2008 - 10:48 PM

:blink: :blink: :blink: :blink: :blink:

If you have foxtel and want to record it the only device to use is the iQ - which just happens to be a PVR.

NOT everyone has the IQ or sees the need or expense of getting one,so my advice was relevant ;)

Edited by wheelz, 08 March 2008 - 10:48 PM.

#9 swordfish805

swordfish805

AV Forums Member

• 4,314 posts

Posted 08 March 2008 - 11:35 PM

NOT everyone has the IQ or sees the need or expense of getting one,so my advice was relevant ;)

What expense? If you can't afford the iQ you can't buy a cup of coffee. In any case your original post was unequivocal - you stated that to record foxtel then "a PVR is not for you". This is wrong. The iQ records foxtel and so does the beyonwiz S1/P1. There may well be others.

#10 wheelz

wheelz

AV Forums Member

• 4,270 posts

Posted 08 March 2008 - 11:51 PM

What expense? If you not on platn the IQ is $15 mth not everyone can afford that.

In any case your original post was unequivocal - you stated that to record foxtel then "a PVR is not for you". This is wrong. How is this wrong a fta PVR cannot record fox and thats what was being refered too if you read the post,yes you can buy the wiz add on but thats not what the OP wants

The iQ records foxtel no sh#t and so does the beyonwiz S1/P1. Not without the added expense of the add on

Edited by wheelz, 08 March 2008 - 11:53 PM.

#11 Tassie Devil

Tassie Devil

AV Forums Member

• 3,760 posts

Posted 09 March 2008 - 06:33 AM

Thanks.

This and related questions is discussed in detail in the sticky above. http://www.dtvforum....showtopic=29072

If something is unclear or you still have a query please post it so the sticky can be revised and updated to be more helpful.

John