20 replies to this topic

#1 desi

desi

AV Forums Member

• PipPipPip
  • 313 posts

Posted 03 March 2008 - 12:39 PM

Yesterday,

I played with my new Ep-10 by connecting it to my 26" LCD which do 720P using HDMI watching Transformers.

I am unable to get the full screen picture , still the film gets black scope shade at top and bottom. Like ch 7 or 10 HD channels I will get full screen picture no black shades.

is the way HDDVD works or do I have to change any settings to make it full screen?

I know its a easy problem.

#2 h e a d

h e a d

AV Forums Member

• PipPip
  • 214 posts

Posted 03 March 2008 - 12:45 PM

Yesterday,

I played with my new Ep-10 by connecting it to my 26" LCD which do 720P using HDMI watching Transformers.

I am unable to get the full screen picture , still the film gets black scope shade at top and bottom. Like ch 7 or 10 HD channels I will get full screen picture no black shades.

is the way HDDVD works or do I have to change any settings to make it full screen?

Apparently from what I heard HD-DVDs are formatted at a strict aspect ratio (depending on the film) and you can't fill the screen or zoom in. With DVDs you can.

Some movies have the 16:9 option for example and they fill the whole screen (on a 1366x768 TV), but most I have are 2.35:1, which gives those annoying borders.

I found no way to zoom either on the EP-10 unfortunately to fill the screen. :(

#3 DFOUR

DFOUR

AV Forums Member

• 34 posts

Posted 03 March 2008 - 12:45 PM

Yesterday,

You will find the movie is recorded with the black bars, depending on you tv you can zoom in but then you will lose the resolution. Make sure your EP-10 is set to 16:9 and that your T.V is set to wide as well

Cheers

Paul

#4 desi

desi

AV Forums Member

• PipPipPip
  • 313 posts

Posted 03 March 2008 - 12:50 PM

Apparently from what I heard HD-DVDs are formatted at a strict aspect ratio (depending on the film) and you can't fill the screen or zoom in. With DVDs you can.

Some movies have the 16:9 option for example and they fill the whole screen (on a 1366x768 TV), but most I have are 2.35:1, which gives those annoying borders.

I found no way to zoom either on the EP-10 unfortunately to fill the screen. :(

suppose If i have a XE-1 then i can do it?

#5 desi

desi

AV Forums Member

• PipPipPip
  • 313 posts

Posted 03 March 2008 - 12:51 PM

You will find the movie is recorded with the black bars, depending on you tv you can zoom in but then you will lose the resolution. Make sure your EP-10 is set to 16:9 and that your T.V is set to wide as well

Cheers

Paul

yep EP-10 is set to 16:9 and TV is set to wide.

#6 h e a d

h e a d

AV Forums Member

• PipPip
  • 214 posts

Posted 03 March 2008 - 12:54 PM

yep EP-10 is set to 16:9 and TV is set to wide.

Then you're stuck with the borders unfortunately. That's the way the movie is written.

Only thing is if your TV has a zooming function. Mine doesn't (only 4:3 and some other useless modes that won't fix the problem).

It's seriously annoying. You get a widescreen TV hoping to fill the whole screen with viewing goodness, only to have half the screen filled with black bars. :(

Damn you 2.35:1 film ratio!

#7 AndrewW

AndrewW

AV Forums Member

• 14,237 posts

Posted 03 March 2008 - 12:56 PM

suppose If i have a XE-1 then i can do it?

No.

Please read this.

The "Black Bars" are good, not bad. It means you are seeing the whole movie.

#8 AndrewW

AndrewW

AV Forums Member

• 14,237 posts

Posted 03 March 2008 - 12:57 PM

See my post above.

Damn you pan and scan is more appropriate.

#9 h e a d

h e a d

AV Forums Member

• PipPip
  • 214 posts

Posted 03 March 2008 - 12:58 PM

No.

Please read this.

Andrew, what if I don't want to see the whole movie?

Is there a work around? I'm tempted to say screw the left and right bits of the movie that I'll be missing on as long as I make the most of my TV's real estate space.

#10 ledge

ledge

AV Forums Member

• PipPipPipPip
  • 754 posts

Posted 03 March 2008 - 12:59 PM

Then you're stuck with the borders unfortunately. That's the way the movie is written.

Only thing is if your TV has a zooming function. Mine doesn't (only 4:3 and some other useless modes that won't fix the problem).

It's seriously annoying. You get a widescreen TV hoping to fill the whole screen with viewing goodness, only to have half the screen filled with black bars. :(

Hey check out some 2.40:1 movies then, even less viewing real estate... such as Titanic .. : P
Standard DVD of course (for now) ....

#11 desi

desi

AV Forums Member

• PipPipPip
  • 313 posts

Posted 03 March 2008 - 01:07 PM

No.

Please read this.

yep andrewW that make sense

#12 AndrewW

AndrewW

AV Forums Member

• 14,237 posts

Posted 03 March 2008 - 01:18 PM

Andrew, what if I don't want to see the whole movie?

Is there a work around? I'm tempted to say screw the left and right bits of the movie that I'll be missing on as long as I make the most of my TV's real estate space.

Not using the player itself.

You would have to rely on any zoom function that your display might implement.

#13 desi

desi

AV Forums Member

• PipPipPip
  • 313 posts

Posted 03 March 2008 - 01:43 PM

2.35:1 means black borders on screen???

Planet Earth is the only one available on 1.78:1

Edited by desi, 03 March 2008 - 01:45 PM.

#14 AndrewW

AndrewW

AV Forums Member

• 14,237 posts

Posted 03 March 2008 - 01:47 PM

For a 16:9 display:

4:3 content = black borders left and right of the picture
1.78:1 content = fullscreen
1.85:1 content = small black borders top and bottom
2.39:1 content = larger black borders top and bottom

more interesting info here

#15 h e a d

h e a d

AV Forums Member

• PipPip
  • 214 posts

Posted 03 March 2008 - 01:52 PM

Planet Earth is the only one available on 1.78:1

Yep, anything that's not 1.78:1 (16:9) will have borders on a widescreen 16:9 TV.

Also, AndrewW thanks for the heads up. I also stand corrected. It's 2.39:1 not 2.35:1 like my previous posts.

#16 AndrewW

AndrewW

AV Forums Member

• 14,237 posts

Posted 03 March 2008 - 02:13 PM

I also stand corrected. It's 2.39:1 not 2.35:1 like my previous posts.

I think that some movies are actually released as 2.35:1, even though they might be filmed in 2.39:1

I know I've seen both 2.35 and 2.39 terms used in the past.

But then the difference would be minute anyway.

#17 sobie2000

sobie2000

AV Forums Member

• 49 posts

Posted 03 March 2008 - 02:29 PM

Without starting a war to rival blu-ray vs HD-DVD and I am sure this has been done to death anyway, I think that is a matter of personal opinion. Sure you get to see the whole movie, but that usually means that extra tree off to the side. IMO, having the entire 16:9 panel filled with the picture is far more atmospheric and absorbing than seeing the black bars above and below.

I wish they would at least give us the option to be able to watch the movie in 16:9 or its native resolution, that couldn't be that hard to add as a feature on a disk?

#18 h e a d

h e a d

AV Forums Member

• PipPip
  • 214 posts

Posted 03 March 2008 - 02:31 PM

Without starting a war to rival blu-ray vs HD-DVD and I am sure this has been done to death anyway, I think that is a matter of personal opinion. Sure you get to see the whole movie, but that usually means that extra tree off to the side. IMO, having the entire 16:9 panel filled with the picture is far more atmospheric and absorbing than seeing the black bars above and below.

I wish they would at least give us the option to be able to watch the movie in 16:9 or its native resolution, that couldn't be that hard to add as a feature on a disk?

Exactly!

Either that or start manufacturing TVs that have a wider aspect ratio. :P

#19 AndrewW

AndrewW

AV Forums Member

• 14,237 posts

Posted 03 March 2008 - 02:35 PM

Either that or start manufacturing TVs that have a wider aspect ratio. :P

And then your 16:9 content will have "black bars" left and right of the image :P

And the bars either side of 4:3 content will be huge.

#20 h e a d

h e a d

AV Forums Member

• PipPip
  • 214 posts

Posted 03 March 2008 - 02:37 PM

And then your 16:9 content will have "black bars" left and right of the image :P

And the bars either side of 4:3 content will be huge.

Good point. And then they'll release 4:1 ratios or some other insane format that just keeps getting wider and wider.

There is no winning. I guess we just have to learn to put up with the bars.

Hey, a bit offtopic, but what's a good (decent size) TV that supports 24Hz?

#21 desi

desi

AV Forums Member

• PipPipPip
  • 313 posts

Posted 06 March 2008 - 11:38 AM

thanks guys for the valuable information

One more question for u guys
I had 2002 model 5.1 Philips CD player (plays music and vCD), so by using EP-10 can I using my old 5.1 music system as 5.1 home theater?

Edited by desi, 06 March 2008 - 11:39 AM.