• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 TheBroker

TheBroker

AV Forum Member

• 18 posts

Posted 29 January 2008 - 10:54 AM

Hi,
I really need your help. My Sony AV Receiver does not have any microphone input, it only had the common AV inputs, headphone jack, etc. My question, is there any way how to connect my microphone to my AV receiver? Can I just find a adaptor that convert my microphone jack into RCA connectors then connect it to the audio (RCA) input of my receiver? Currently there is no such adaptor that convert microphone jack to RCA connector.

So please help and advise. Thank you very much!

#2 ozdoc

ozdoc

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,783 posts

Posted 29 January 2008 - 12:05 PM

Hi,
I really need your help. My Sony AV Receiver does not have any microphone input, it only had the common AV inputs, headphone jack, etc. My question, is there any way how to connect my microphone to my AV receiver? Can I just find a adaptor that convert my microphone jack into RCA connectors then connect it to the audio (RCA) input of my receiver? Currently there is no such adaptor that convert microphone jack to RCA connector.

So please help and advise. Thank you very much!

Put simply, microphones don't send a strong enough signal for an AV receiver to use, compared to AV devices that send a signal at 'line level'. To use a microphone in your setup, you need a 'preamp' for the microphone. These are built into 'mixers', usually a dial marked 'gain'.
If you want something cheap, this sort of thing might do:
Altronics Mixer
You would also need a 'jack to RCA' cable to connect the small mixer your AV receivers 'AV input'.

#3 max gain

max gain

AV Forum Member

• PipPip
  • 209 posts

Posted 29 January 2008 - 01:16 PM

Hi Broker
You will need a device to convert mic level to line level like a mixer or pre-amp. They should be available form most electronics stores and probably range in price from $25 to $60.

:rolleyes: ----max---- :rolleyes:

#4 TheBroker

TheBroker

AV Forum Member

• 18 posts

Posted 29 January 2008 - 01:35 PM

Hi, thank you all for your replies.

Are there any AV receiver that has a microphone input? Price range is less than $500?

I checked Yamaha RXV361 and Pioneer VSX517S, they are quite good AV receiver and in my price range but they don't have any microphone input. I don't understand why they built this AV receiver forgetting the very simple concept of having a mic input!

#5 ozdoc

ozdoc

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,783 posts

Posted 29 January 2008 - 02:45 PM

Hi, thank you all for your replies.

Are there any AV receiver that has a microphone input? Price range is less than $500?

I checked Yamaha RXV361 and Pioneer VSX517S, they are quite good AV receiver and in my price range but they don't have any microphone input. I don't understand why they built this AV receiver forgetting the very simple concept of having a mic input!

I presume it is because they think that "home karaoke" and "high end home theatre" are mutually exclusive...
I tend to agree. :P :ph34r:

The other option is a cheap DVD player which has a karaoke function.
Oh, and lots of grog. It always sounds better with grog. B)

#6 yamapro

yamapro

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,024 posts

Posted 29 January 2008 - 06:11 PM

Yeah i have to agree, I really don't see the point of a mic input on an AVR. It would add cost to a product that most users would get no benefit from.

A P/A amp on the other hand...

Anyway as has been mentioned a very good workaround is to add a mixer to the input path and then you can connect multiple Mics and adjust the gain as necessary etc...

#7 jedistar

jedistar

AV Forum Member

• 20 posts

Posted 31 January 2008 - 10:09 PM

Yeah i have to agree, I really don't see the point of a mic input on an AVR. It would add cost to a product that most users would get no benefit from.

A P/A amp on the other hand...
Anyway as has been mentioned a very good workaround is to add a mixer to the input path and then you can connect multiple Mics and adjust the gain as necessary etc...

Consider a small mixer for under $100 and use the record out jacks into a spare channel on your Receiver

try www.behringer.com - cheap but pretty good.

I am in a band and have a couple of mixers. I use a little 4 channel behringer mixer on my PC set up. I can mix different sources into my sound card - useful for monitoring. You'll be amazed how many uses a little mixer has....

#8 boofy

boofy

AV Forum Member

• 5 posts

Posted 05 March 2008 - 12:26 PM

I'd get a DVD played with Karaoke like the Sony 5 DISC DVD DVPNC66K
http://www.sony.com....ategoryId=22035
They are about $150 and hold 5 discs. I use mine as a juke box, just load up 5 music CD's for a party mix.
(it's not in my signature list as it's not hi-tech!)

Edited by boofy, 05 March 2008 - 12:26 PM.

#9 Next7

Next7

AV Forum Member

• 1 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 07:20 PM

Hi! To use a cheap dvd player with karaoke is realy good idea! But I have found tha you were looking for) An av receiver with microphone input BBK AV321T . I don't know if it is really good product, but it is sterling av receiver with opportunity to connect a microphone.

#10 Storm AV

Storm AV

AV Forum Member

• Banned
  • 824 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 08:12 PM

Where are you located broker, I'v got a Japanese made JVC 3 disk VCD/karaoke player-it will do what you want......if you're not too far from me-SW sydney you can have it for whatever you think is a fair price.