No Digital Channel 9 Reception

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 alternativeqwerty

alternativeqwerty

AV Forum Member

• 45 posts

Posted 19 January 2008 - 11:15 AM

Hi, Ive just recently got a HDTV (Samsung F81 series), and I was suprised that I could recieve all digital channels (except channel 9), b/c I only have a pair of rabbit ears & no roof antenna. I do get analogue channel 9, but no digital, I've tried moving the antenna around the room, changing the length of the ears & pretty much everything I could see from the rest of the forums. I have sat, manually scanning channel 8, 9 & 9A, manually putting the frequency - 191625 kHz, but I still don't get any reception. Is anyone else having a similar problem? Is it a worthy investment buying a digital antenna from dick smiths?
L4074 - http://www.dse.com.a...duct/View/L4074

Thanks in advance!

#2 alanh

alanh

AV Forum Member

• 12,647 posts

Posted 19 January 2008 - 11:42 AM

alternativeqwerty
I assume you have read my "Get the best reception" post at the start of this strand and read its links NSW and Indoor antennas.
If you are on the lower North Shore, too much signal can also be a problem.
Are you in an apartment block?
I have not tested the antenna you mention.

When you post next could you please mention the suburb you are in.

#3 alternativeqwerty

alternativeqwerty

AV Forum Member

• 45 posts

Posted 19 January 2008 - 11:55 AM

alanh - Thanks for the quick reply :)

Yes I have read the best reception post & its links
I am in the inner west @ Five Dock
I'm not in an apartment block

Am I missing something in the other threads? Should I be scanning other freqencys? Does channel 9 broadcast on more than one frequency? Or am I right just sticking w/ scanning 191625 kHz?

Should I be looking @ getting an attenuator instead? I have NO experience w/ this sort of thing, so please bear with me :P

Thanks again!

Edited by alternativeqwerty, 19 January 2008 - 11:57 AM.

#4 alanh

alanh

AV Forum Member

• 12,647 posts

Posted 19 January 2008 - 12:22 PM

alternativeqwerty,
On the "Get the best reception" use the link to coverage area and see if you are in the coverage area for Kings Cross.
In either case you will probably need an external antenna.

AlanH

#5 alternativeqwerty

alternativeqwerty

AV Forum Member

• 45 posts

Posted 19 January 2008 - 01:17 PM

alanh - Yeah I have checked it all out - looking @ http://www.dba.org.a...Location=Sydney - I am well within the range for good coverage, what I don't understand is that I can get every channel EXCEPT 9 digital

7 uses VHF 6 @ 177.5 MHz
9 uses VHF 8 @ 191.625 MHz
10 uses VHF 11 @ 219.5 MHz

The only difference is that 7 & 10 broadcast from Atarmon, where as 9 brodcasts from Willougby

From my understanding (and I may be wrong) They broadcast analogue & digital on the same frequency? So why is it that I can get analogue 9 & not digital?

Thanks mate

#6 mtv

mtv

AV Forum Member

• 6,047 posts

Posted 19 January 2008 - 01:50 PM

alternativeqwerty,

I have just checked reception at Concord and Leichhardt and all channels are working fine.

The coverage maps are indicative only and there are numerous things that can affect signals, especially when using an indoor antenna, such as the building itself, other buildings, trees, anything between your antenna and the transmitters, or even objects that are not directly in the signal path, but which signals bounce off... even people and furniture in the room!

It's possible you have too much signal. In that case, attenuators are required.

You need to have accurate signal measurements taken with a digital field strength meter, so you know exactly what the problem is, then a solution can be recommended.

Digital TV channels are not on the same frequencies as the analogue channels. (not in the same areas, anyway) Perhaps you are confusing this with both SD and HD digital signals being on the same frequency?

Apart from Artarmon and Willougby, ABC, SBS and D44 transmit from Gore Hill.

As alanh suggested, you could try the Kings Cross translators.

ABC... UHF 30 Hor 543.625 MHz

7........ UHF 48 Hor 669.500 MHz

9........ UHF 33 Hor 564.500 MHz

TEN.... UHF 45 Hor 648.500 MHz

SBS.... UHF 34 Hor 571.500 MHz

Note: There is no translator an Kings Cross for D44

#7 alternativeqwerty

alternativeqwerty

AV Forum Member

• 45 posts

Posted 19 January 2008 - 03:54 PM

Thank you both for your suggestions :)

I've solved the problem - I got the L4074 - & now ALL digital channels - so I guess you can add that model antenna to the list...

Yeah I tried scanning for channel 33 @ 564.500 MHz & I got nothing, so I figured I'd give the antenna a go - thankfully It paid off - I might mount it outside tomorrow so I have a clear line of site w/ less interference from the things in this room.

Thanks again for you time :)

#8 mtv

mtv

AV Forum Member

• 6,047 posts

Posted 19 January 2008 - 04:06 PM

Good outcome.

Which channels did you end up with... the main VHF channels, or the Kings Cross UHF translators?

#9 digitalj

digitalj

AV Forum Member

• 12,947 posts

Posted 19 January 2008 - 04:38 PM

L4074

there's your problem, you were fooled by Dick Smith Staff into getting that one, $2 Rabbit Ears tend to work better than these.

EDIT: ok, in this case it may have worked properly, but it usually doesn't work "as well" as $2 rabbit ears.

#10 alternativeqwerty

alternativeqwerty

AV Forum Member

• 45 posts

Posted 20 January 2008 - 01:31 PM

Ya. I managed to pick up the main VHF broadcast w/ the L4074.

True it is pretty expensive, & yes I was getting good reception w/ the el cheapo rabbit ears, but no channel 9 was a real annoyance... I am thinking that maybe it is just b/c of the 6M quadshield cable I picked up that has allowed me to pick up channel 9 (I just tested it with the rabbit ears and it works). However, I can mount this antenna outside, which I will proberly do @ some point...

So yeah, it may be that the L4074 is a waste (Seems like it :P) However, it works - so maybe its a better idea for people in my situation to just get the cable and move the rabbit ears around (if you don't mind the aesthetics :P)

Thanks all

#11 timmie1

timmie1

AV Forum Member

• 31 posts

Posted 02 February 2009 - 01:13 PM

I'm in Lindfield on the west side, so lower down than the Highway. Just recently acquired a Samsung 4 to replace my very old 15" CRT in the bedroom. No aerial outlet in my bedroom, so have acquired a L4071 aerial from Dick Smith to hook up to the TV. There is an external aerial to the house and the family room Pana has never had these issues, although it does connect to an aerial port there.

Set the TV up yesterday, and it auto-tuned all channels except for Channel 9. The first time, it was missing both Ch7 and Ch9, but after re-tuning, Ch7 is fine now. Re-tuning still didn't get Ch9 again. I can get Ch9 on analogue but it's clearly snowy in picture. Only message on the TV is weak/no signal, which doesn't really help.

When I get home, I will try re-tuning manually to 191625 MHz but am pretty sure we tried the manual tuning to that default frequency last night with no success.

Anyone have a suggestion?

#12 alanh

alanh

AV Forum Member

• 12,647 posts

Posted 02 February 2009 - 06:01 PM

Timmy,
Indoor antennas in your situation are very poor.
You need a split of the outdoor antenna. It would be best to replace the antenna for one designed for digital ie one designed for channels 6 - 36, or band 3 & 4.

See the first post in this strand for more details.

AlanH

#13 raecorn

raecorn

AV Forum Member

• 1 posts

Posted 08 February 2009 - 08:07 PM

hi, have a sony bravia and have all digital and HD channels except channel 9. It used to work about 3 weeks ago but has dissappeared. Another dig tv in house still has clear signal with 9 showing so I guess it is not the antennae. Have reset tv and re scanned and still same problem. Any suggestions highly appreciated.

#14 marky55

marky55

AV Forum Member

• 5 posts

Posted 09 February 2009 - 02:37 PM

Hi just bought 56cm Palsonic HD TV hooked it to existing socket, same problem no signal for ch 9, all others are ok, ch 9 pixelates and no sound, have a normal uhf/vhf antenna it has a splitter on it with 3 outlets.Have auto tuned tv and most of the signal strengths are on the low side, location is Sydney, Cabramatta West 2166
Analog reception was not bad, but have had Fox cable on for past 15yrs and have not worried about free to air for some time, possibly antenna is to old?

#15 alanh

alanh

AV Forum Member

• 12,647 posts

Posted 09 February 2009 - 08:38 PM

Marky,
The usual cause for this is corrosion in the antenna.
You would be better off buying a unipolar Band 3 & 4 antenna. See the link for brands etc in Get the Best Reception, Sydney and read the links.

AlanH

#16 marky55

marky55

AV Forum Member

• 5 posts

Posted 09 February 2009 - 09:57 PM

I thank you AlanH.
I have a feeling this is the beginning of a long line of replacements for the cabling in my place?
Just saw a post about multi connections "F" type splitter, my splitter is of the old plastic cover type for coax cable connections.
So i think i might have to do some updating across the board. Ah well so much for a free weekend?
Thank you for the advice will keep in touch.
Mark.

#17 Audie

Audie

AV Forum Member

• 34 posts

Posted 21 February 2009 - 12:01 AM

We've had Ch9 digital disappear here about a week ago also.

This site has two buildings, each with identical antennas. Ch9 has only disappeared on one of them. Retuning hasn't worked. Maybe it will just re-appear in a few weeks :-)

#18 REZ O'LUTION

REZ O'LUTION

AV Forum Member

• Pip
  • 89 posts

Posted 01 March 2009 - 10:31 PM

It may be irrelevant as I'm in Melbourne ), but I've had all CH9 signals drop off my 4 y/o set top box about 1 week ago. Are CH9 experimenting in preparation for Freeview??

#19 Audie

Audie

AV Forum Member

• 34 posts

Posted 03 March 2009 - 06:32 AM

The signals in Sydney on our other buliding for Ch9 are back up. Go figure :-)

I wonder if it's the major building work at Hurstville [the old Containers Ltd redevelopment at Allawah/Hurstville for example] impacting suburbs south of there? I note a Penshurst issue also on this forum and we're south of Penshurst.

#20 Audie

Audie

AV Forum Member

• 34 posts

Posted 03 March 2009 - 06:34 AM

On the Freeview 'fiddling' - SBS in Sydney gave plenty of warning with scroll adverts in their major programs for a few weeks prior to their recent changes, but I've seen nothing from the others. Melb may be different, of course.

#21 alanh

alanh

AV Forum Member

• 12,647 posts

Posted 03 March 2009 - 04:08 PM

Audie,
It sounds as if the new building is blocking your signal. If cranes are being used they will vary the signal as will some metals being lifted. After the cranes are gone, there will be no improvements.
You may perhaps have a clear view to the Elan Building in Kings Cross. If so you need a band 4+ Yagi antenna and perhaps a UHF masthead amplifier.

The best thing to do is to wait until the outside of the building is complete and then get an antenna installer to measure the signals for the error rates to select the best transmitter site option and appriate antenna.

AlanH

#22 Audie

Audie

AV Forum Member

• 34 posts

Posted 04 March 2009 - 08:57 AM

Thanks AlanH - we had Teleright do the original work here and they were just brilliant. I'll buzz them once the work is completed [that looks like it will be some time this year] and get them to re-check/adjust etc.

#23 ff9master

ff9master

AV Forum Member

• 9 posts

Posted 24 February 2011 - 05:44 PM

Sorry guys I really need some help here with a similar Channel 9 problem! Here are my details:

1)- We live in a Hurstville, Sydney apartment with no roof antenna available. The unit is right on the road though, on ground level, so I donít think reception could be such a big problem?
2)- Using the L4016 from DSE we can scan every channel except any of those provided by Channel 9 (TCN).
3)- I have tried every conceivable antenna direction and height and adjustment of the amplifier/gain all to no avail!

I dont understand how to read the documents available on this site and I have no idea, so can I ask:

1)- How do I direct my antenna to the Channel 9 broadcast tower. Where is it? Which suburb?
2)- If Channel 9 isnít showing but the rest of the channels are, is it due to the fact, and I read this here somewhere, that the signal is actually too strong? If so, how do I 'dampen' the signal if even lowering the amplifier doesnít work?
3)- On my antenna is the big grey middle section for UHF and the two rabbit ears for VHF? Should I focus on one of those doing something special?
4)- What is the frequency of the Channel 9 channels (especially GO!)? Are they on UHF or VHF? I seem to have read that they are on both. Would manually tuning the channels in work? Do I tune in just one frequency or do I do one for each of the Channel 9 channels?
5)- Can anyone recommend an antenna in my situation?

I am so sorry for all the questions!

Thanks!