10 replies to this topic

#1 Dolphy

Dolphy

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPip
  • 379 posts

Posted 19 December 2007 - 09:39 AM

Hi All,

I can buy the Toshiba A35 (with 7 free HD DVDs) from Amazon for $324.00.

I was thinking of using Access USA to forward the parcel to me (http://www.myus.com/) they would charge $93 to send the parcel to me.

In total I would be spending approx $425 US / $495 AUS.

Why would anyone buy this same player (or equivalent) locally, when importing it is so much cheaper?

Let me know if you have used this service or a siimilar company.

Thanks!

PS: I posted this message here beause I'm also considering buying a BD player.

Edited by Dolphy, 19 December 2007 - 09:41 AM.

#2 tonyjg

tonyjg

AV Forum Member

• 3,091 posts

Posted 19 December 2007 - 10:17 AM

myusa.com looks like a site that was around - but has since closed - called shopthestates.com

just wondering how you got to $93 to ship ??

looking at the site and costs you may need to consider the following..

- Set up $20 US
- Monthly Fee $7 US

Weight of HDDVD player - 11pds shipped from Amazon = converts to 5kgs (thats without the extra discs !!)

- first 1kg - $30.05
- add kilos - 14.45 x 4 at 14.45 each add kilo
total = 87.85

plus $8 commerical invoice

I'm working it out to be around $123 US

#3 AndrewW

AndrewW

AV Forum Member

• 14,237 posts

Posted 19 December 2007 - 10:22 AM

Why would anyone buy this same player (or equivalent) locally, when importing it is so much cheaper?

Local warranty, no need for a stepdown transformer, region free DVD playback.

Plus me EP10 only cost $450 when you take the $100 cashback and 5 free movies into account.

Don't get me wrong, I imported my HD-A1 and my Japanese PS3, but I think the Aussie prices have come down enough that importing isn't so great of a risk vs reward proposition now.

#4 Blackwash

Blackwash

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPip
  • 428 posts

Posted 19 December 2007 - 10:36 AM

I use AccessUSA a lot. Probably 15 shipments in the past year. I've never had any problems with them. Customs do check their invoices because of previous underdeclaring, but at the prices you mention you will be fine.

Just be aware that they add $10 or so to the shipping cost for a commercial invoice.

Edited by Raider61, 19 December 2007 - 12:20 PM.

#5 yorac

yorac

AV Forum Member

• 24,452 posts

Posted 19 December 2007 - 11:53 AM

Here is an Aussie business that can import for you and worth comparing http://www.priceusa.com.au/index.html

#6 tter2

tter2

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPip
  • 399 posts

Posted 19 December 2007 - 03:11 PM

Here is an Aussie business that can import for you and worth comparing http://www.priceusa.com.au/index.html

Have you used them before? they reliable? I'm wanting a region A blu-ray player so they may be an option - frys.com and bhphoto charge atleast ~$85 for shipping to Aus - which is really steep... plus Amazon is selling the player I have in mind, cheaper.

Edited by tter2, 19 December 2007 - 03:15 PM.

#7 tter2

tter2

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPip
  • 399 posts

Posted 19 December 2007 - 03:27 PM

myusa.com looks like a site that was around - but has since closed - called shopthestates.com

just wondering how you got to $93 to ship ??

looking at the site and costs you may need to consider the following..

- Set up $20 US
- Monthly Fee $7 US

Weight of HDDVD player - 11pds shipped from Amazon = converts to 5kgs (thats without the extra discs !!)

- first 1kg - $30.05
- add kilos - 14.45 x 4 at 14.45 each add kilo
total = 87.85

plus $8 commerical invoice

I'm working it out to be around $123 US

Even if it's $93 - it appears it would be cheaper (not to forget much simpler) to just buy from someone like frys or bhphotovideo...

#8 yorac

yorac

AV Forum Member

• 24,452 posts

Posted 19 December 2007 - 04:04 PM

Have you used them before? they reliable? I'm wanting a region A blu-ray player so they may be an option - frys.com and bhphoto charge atleast ~$85 for shipping to Aus - which is really steep... plus Amazon is selling the player I have in mind, cheaper.

Have not tried them but will in the new year, have only heard good from a couple of people who have used them (not forum members) but like the fact that they are locally based if I do have problems

#9 ill dilletante

ill dilletante

AV Forum Member

• 49 posts

Posted 19 December 2007 - 08:08 PM

My wife runs Price USA so I may be able to add some helpful information :).

The major problem with ordering the Toshiba HD-DVD machines directly from the USA (apart from finding a company that will ship to Australia) is the free HD-DVD rebates are only available to US residents. Your credit card billing address must be located in the USA for you to be able to claim the HD-DVDs. According to my wife she had a few people order the Toshiba XA2 player through her and she gets her USA agent to process the rebates. I don't know how much she charges for this, but it is pretty nominal.

Daniel

#10 Franin

Franin

AV Forum Member

• 3,523 posts

Posted 19 December 2007 - 11:39 PM

Thanks yorac for that website.Im looking at the phillips pronto and it's much cheaper to buy from amazon then over here.$699US, over here it's $2000+ go figure why it's so expensive over here.

#11 yorac

yorac

AV Forum Member

• 24,452 posts

Posted 19 December 2007 - 11:50 PM

Thanks yorac for that website.Im looking at the phillips pronto and it's much cheaper to buy from amazon then over here.$699US, over here it's $2000+ go figure why it's so expensive over here.

My pleasure mate